New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 54 FirstFirst ... 217181920212223242526272829303132333435363752 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: (Pathfinder) The Curse of the Crimson Throne IC

Rennard is taken aback by the results of the inquiry (though he did appreciate Kroft's succinct response). Inside of him, Reve just falls silent

Understood. the magus replies, keeping the exchange bare from hollow pleasantries Was she able to secure an alternative source for poison?

2. - Top - End - #782
    Troll in the Playground

"So that's it then," Aldrin states to no one in particular. "Barring any... unforseen incidents, she's going to be executed, isn't she?"

Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Tarok and Kamo, level 6 half-orc ranger, bunyip-slayer, and all around badass.

I like half-orcs

Retired:

Aldrin Cress, level 10 human sorcerer. Hero of Korvosa.
    Tireas Slate, level 4 tiefling ninja. Eternally scheming.

DMing: Dragon's Demand

3. - Top - End - #783
    Troll in the Playground

Dastan frowns, looking thoughtful for a moment. "Has there been any proof other than the confession itself?" He sounds as surprised at this news as the others; all of the evidence he found seemed to point to her innocence and the stated motive seems to directly contradict her earlier statements, not to mention rationality and common sense. "I would prefer that something other than a mere confession prove her guilt; there are too many ways a false confession could have been forced for my tastes. Have they determined what poison was used to kill the king, or the source of it?"
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

4. - Top - End - #784
    Bugbear in the Playground

Kroft scowls, shakes her head, and looks around the room cautiously. "Look, what you're implying could be construed as treasonous," she whispers. "It isn't safe to talk here, but we can after this damnable banquet is finished. And the executions." She pauses, then scowls again. "Aldrin, I think you should know something, and I'll be blunt about it. Two relations of yours are on the list of prisoners to be executed."
    Fantastic avatar by Ceika.

5. - Top - End - #785
    Troll in the Playground

Aldrin looks at his companions a bit nervously and quietly responds, "I... am aware. Is that a problem?" He stares at his goblet of wine for a moment before asking, "How are the executions to proceed? One by one after Trinia, until the crowd is covered in a foot of blood, or over the course of some days? And what my other imprisoned relatives: my sisters?"

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

6. - Top - End - #786
    Troll in the Playground

Rennard does not show any signs of empathy or condemnation for the sorcerer and his lot. The fencer just proceeded to store the information, knowing that the more he understood his companions, the better he could plan for any desirable outcomes

Reve, on the other hand, felt pity for Aldrin's misery. She didn't like the sorcerer always being so smug towards her Master, but she could not help feeling his pain. If someone separated her from her Bonded again...

Both sword and swordsman remain silent, waiting for Kroft's response and for the party to be over in order to find out more about Trinia's fate...
    Last edited by Drothmal; 2011-12-06 at 03:16 PM.

7. - Top - End - #787

"I believe the new seneschal has arranged things so that Trinia's execution is the grand finale of the evening," Kroft says, a hint of disdain in her voice. "As for your sisters, Aldrin, I don't know. I only know that they weren't on the list. It's possible the Hellknights still have them. I can find out for you, but not now."

8. - Top - End - #788
    Barbarian in the Playground

Jensi

Jensi stares at Aldrin, his violet eyes wide and watery. He looks extremely upset. "Aldrin," he says softly, "why didn't you tell us that you knew?" Mostly the oracle sounds concerned, but there's a discernible note of being hurt by the man's lack of trust. "Maybe we could have helped, or - or..." he trails off, brow furrowed. He can't think of what he would have done had he known that one of his friend's family was due to be executed.

"We're always here for you!" he says firmly, apparently oblivious to Rennard's lack of empathy. He smiles, but sadly.

"So what should we do? he asks, eyes flickering upwards for a moment. Innocent people are going to be executed - Trinia, and Aldrin's family, who can't be bad because Aldrin is nice and he likes them, right?" For once, though, Jensi doesn't sound optimistic as he surveys the hall full of guards.
    Last edited by RocketMan; 2011-12-01 at 04:31 PM.
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

Characters: Currently applying to games!

9. - Top - End - #789
    Troll in the Playground

"My family has been involved with dangerous business, Jensi," Aldrin states flatly. "Trust me when I say you really wouldn't want to be caught up in it. At any rate, this really isn't the place to discuss such things. In fact, possibly the worst. Thank you for the information, Field Marshall."
    Last edited by Blisstake; 2011-12-01 at 04:56 PM.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

10. - Top - End - #790

Without warning, a trumpet sounds, three long, sharp notes echoing through the throne room. Then drums begin to beat out a military rhythm, steadily pounding. The double doors leading into the throne room swing open and a procession marches in: spit-and-polished guards march forwards in two lines, their feet moving in lock-step with the drums. Between them are the prisoners, clad in the clothes of their station, though many are ragged from long captivity.

The central podium is empty no longer. A large half-orc with a black cowl stands rigidly, a sharpened axe held in his hands, its head planted on the ground. Beside him, a grey-haired woman steps forward, a voluminous black robe draped over her frame, and a gold chain over that. She holds in bony hands a long scroll. She clears her throat, and when she speaks, her voice is unexpectedly loud and laden with authority.

"The Crown of Korvosa calls forward Grau Vancaskerkin to face justice for his crimes. Being many, and heinous, his life is forfeit. May Abadar hold his soul to account."

A pair of guards, each holding one of their former comrade's arms, lead him up the podium. He is pushed to his knees, his head upon the block. With little ceremony, the executioner's axe comes whistling down. The guards remove him, and the woman speaks again, reading off the scroll.

"The Crown of Korvosa calls forward Parns Dorbir to face justice for his crimes. Being many, and heinous, his life is forfeit. May Abadar hold his soul to account."

And another man is brought up, another head rolls, and yet another corpse is carried away. The woman speaks again. And so it goes, prisoner after prisoner.

Then, after twenty or so have been executed, another name is called.

"The Crown of Korvosa calls forward Lord Doren Cress to face justice for his crimes. Being many, and heinous, his life is forfeit."

By this point, the many of the nobles in the crowd are booing and shouting; the knowledge that this man is one of their own infuriates them, and they loudly call for his death.

The scroll-carrier continues reading; this time, she amends her speech. "All titles and honours placed upon him are hereby revoked. May Abadar hold his soul to account."

11. - Top - End - #791
    Troll in the Playground

Dastan stands and watches impassively as Vancaskerkin is brought forwards, knowing that the treacherous Guard Captain deserves his fate. However as the summary executions continue a slight grimace begins to develop on his face and the glove of his right hand creaks and crackes slightly as he clenches it. While he's never been present at a Varisian execution before, he can't help but feel that there should be explanations of their crimes, public trials, a chance for the accused to have their own say and perhaps defend themselves. He says nothing, but the disapproval in his metallic eyes speaks volumes.

When Lord Cress' name comes up, Dastan holds his breath for a moment and turns his head slightly, watching Aldrin out of the corner of his eyes. He won't attempt to stop it, will he? Best be ready, regardless...

12. - Top - End - #792
    Troll in the Playground

Though Rennard understood the anthropological value of public executions as a means to reinforce the society's rules, the parade of deaths that had been taking place in front of the magus challenged even his underdeveloped interpersonal skills.

This is too much the fencer communicates to Reve telepathically

The blade does not answer.

Reaching deeper into the Bond, the duelist realizes that the blade was so shoked by the events that she had gone into some type of dormant state to avoid being sentient while the executions took place.

When Aldrin's father is called to the podium, the fencer's wold slows down. Rennard knows that the next few moments will be crucial for his companions, and the fencer begins to draft contingency plans in his head for all sort of possibilities

Most include stopping Aldrin if he were to try to stop the execution...

But some of them don't

13. - Top - End - #793
    Troll in the Playground

Aldrin's heart furiously beats inside his chest as each execution takes place at the central podium. The sharp axe neatly chops off each head, lowering the time until his parents are next.

When the anticipated moment finally arrives, and his father is led up to the chopping block, time seems to freeze for the young sorcerer. It seemed almost unreal to once again see his father, and the circumstances couldn't be worse. He is filled with rage directed at both the Hellknights and the Korvosan government, but he remains level-headed enough not blindly start casting spells in every direction, which would only make the sorcerer's own situation worse.

As the executioner's axe is held high above the half-orc's head, Aldrin ignores the danger of the situation (or the cliche nature of what he was about to do) and screams, "STOP!"

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

14. - Top - End - #794

Jensi

"Rose light the way, if it is dark," Jensi whispers quietly as each prisoner is taken onto the dais, a compassionate rejoinder to the judge's appeal to Abadar. He doesn't know most of those executed, but still the gruelling sequence of beheadings saddens and sickens the youth. Maybe they're going to a better place. I hope so.

Jensi doesn't immediately connect the name "Doren Cress" with Aldrin. As he peers intently at the latest intended-victim with watery eyes, however, he notices the resemblance. Things finally snap into place as he looks back and forth from Lord Cress to Aldrin, noticing the distress on the latter's face. Jensi's lower lip quivers as he realizes what is about to happen. He resists the urge to give Aldrin a hug only because it would probably be inappropriate now that the younger Cress's shout had brought all eyes upon him.
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

15. - Top - End - #795

The executioner freezes, his axe poised to strike downwards. All eyes turn to Aldrin as the room goes completely silent. Even the musicians have ceased their playing.

The woman on the podium frowns, scowling. "What is the meaning of this interruption?" she demands. "Do you have new evidence for consideration, or are you simply trying to subvert justice?"

16. - Top - End - #796
    Troll in the Playground

"No," Aldrin responds, his eyes gleaming red at the cruel woman. "I have something that needs to be said first."

Not entirely sure what he is doing, he walks toward the podium, aware that the entire room is staring at him. When he gets a clear view of his father, Aldrin composes himself the best he can. "Father," he addresses, "Gaedren Lamm is dead - killed by my companions and myself. I am also safe. I just... I just thought you should know."

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

17. - Top - End - #797

The elder Cress nods, his face patriarchal and aloof, as though death is more of an inconvenience than an end. "Good," he says simply, his voice rich and authoritative, even in chains. "You will accomplish great things." He twists his neck to look up at his captors and nods.

He turns back to face his son, neck stretched out on the block. "Bring honour to our name, son."

The executioner swings his axe in a sweeping arc, steel glinting with crimson. It comes down with a crunch, and the room breaks into polite applause for the headman's handiwork.

------------------------

The executions continue. Head after head falls away from body after body. If not for the deep red carpets, which conceals much, the floor underneath would surely be stained with blood. Finally, Trinia is brought forwards.

Military drums beat a steady rhythm as the woman is dragged forwards. Her legs have given way, quaking, and so a pair of guards haul her up the podium. Despite this, she bravely holds back tears, if only just.

Like the others before her, Trinia is pushed to her knees over the headman's block. The room is silent, expectant and waiting, as Queen Ileosa rises from the Crimson Throne.

"Good people," she speaks; "You have suffered greatly. Homes have burned, kinsmen are dead, and fortunes lost. I have lost a beloved husband, and this grieves me, but you have lost a king. It is with great reluctance that more death must be done, but it is my duty to you to see justice done. I weep for Korvosa, and for her people. Therefore I steel by bleeding heart. Abadar hold all our souls to account."

Ileosa gives her assent to the executioner, and he raises his axe. The crowd is frozen in anticipation, silent and still. Then, with axe poised high, the executioner lets out a strange little grunt. He staggers, his axe faltering. One hand reaches down to his chest; it pulls away covered in blood. The axe drops to the ground with a thud, followed by the headsman. Trinia rises to her knees, glancing up in shock as a scream echoes through the crowded throne room.

"By the gods, it's Blackjack!"

A man, a black hooded cloak covering his face, stands triumphant on the podium. With a swift flick of his slender blade, he cuts through Trinia's bindings, gallantly helping her to her feet. Silently, he bows to the crowd, then to the Queen herself.

18. - Top - End - #798
    Troll in the Playground

"I will," Aldrin responds in a strong voice, preparing himself for the gruesome execution.

Although he originally wanted to save Trinia for the sole purpose of delaying the executions (a plan that didn't pass as he had hoped), he couldn't help but feel genuine sorrow at the young woman's execution. Aldrin told her that they were going to help, but they just ended up hastening her demise.

When the executioner is murdered on the spot by the mysterious arrival, Aldrin is shocked by the sudden turn of events. He watches the even with some confusion, not entirely sure which side he should be helping. Just in case, he reaches into his bag and pulls out a furled scroll, ready to call on its power if he and his companions needed a quick escape.

Spoiler
    Show
    Pulling out my scroll of Obscuring Mist
    Last edited by Blisstake; 2011-12-11 at 04:47 PM.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

19. - Top - End - #799
    Troll in the Playground

Upon hearing the Elder Cress' farewell, Rennard cannot help remember the day when Lamn kill his own father.

If I had been able to protect him then regrets the fencer in an uncharacteristic moment of emotion

There was nothing you could do, Bonded Reve, feeling her Master's despair, had awoken once again to try to soothe his pain

As both blade and blademaster took solace in the mental company of the other, the executions resumed.

-------------------------

When Trinia was brought to the dais, Rennard's logical rationalizations could no longer keep the magus from feeling that her death would be in his hands

It took all of the fencer's discipline not to stop the executioner himself

And then Blackjack appeared

Rennard's rational mind knew that, unless the interloper was stopped, he would get away and the city might fall into riots and anarchy that would bring harm to countless innocents

But, remembering Reve's despair at the young woman's execution and the complete confidence that his Master expressed about Blackjack's character, the bladebound magus found himself reaching for the power that would allow him to become invisible so he could help the black robed figure without being noticed

Spoiler
    Show
    Readies Vanish spell, to be cast at a moment in which the verbal component would be least noticed

My PbP characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Caelon Ismort, lvl 6 paladin, Kingmaker (Part II)

Gael, lvl 3 sorcerer, Serpent Skull

Ril, lvl 3 ninja, Jade Regent

Raigard, lvl 4 alchemist, Rise of the Runelords

Astias, lvl 3 human bard, Wrath of the Righteous

Retired Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Rennard Balmont, lvl 9 magus Curse of the Crimson Throne (Parts I-IV)
    LIX (lvl 7 minotaur psychic warrior), Fall of the Dragon King
    Revelc, lvl 4 ranger, Origin of Species

gg, N_R

20. - Top - End - #800
    Troll in the Playground

As Trinia is led to the block and the executioner raises his axe Dastan watches intently, still worried that his actions may have inadvertantly sentanced an innocent woman to death. He opens his mouth to speak several times before quickly closing it again, having thought better of it. I must trust in Kroft and the Queen, at least for now. He blinks in momentary confusion as the executioner falls slowly to the ground, then quickly snatches up one of the curved throwing-blades tied to his belt and rests it in the palm of his hand as the black-robed figure appears on the dais.

Dastan stands indecisively for a moment, unsure of what to do. Do I stop him? Iomedae, show me the path to the light... He prays, calling upon the divine vision granted to him by his patron.

Spoiler
    Show

Drawing a Chackram, then using Detect Evil. It should give me the location and strength of any Evil auras within a 60-foot cone centred on Blackjack.

21. - Top - End - #801

Jensi

Normally large gathering of people with stages for important people to stand make Jensi bored. Today, he wishes he could be bored. He stands rooted to the spot as the hours roll by, eyes wide and staring, dismayed at the series of executions. Despite the fixity of his gaze, he's still one of the last people to notice as the figure called "Blackjack" cuts down the executioner.

"Wha-" he starts as he notices something out of the ordinary. "I thought he was the executioner! He's not supposed to be executed, right?" He looks quickly to his companions, and, seeing that none of them leap to action, stays where he is. "What's happening?" he asks amidst the confusion. "What's Blackjack?"
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

22. - Top - End - #802

Dastan
    Spoiler
    Show
    Neither Blackjack nor Trinia detect as evil. The executioner is dead, and so doesn't detect as anything. The robed woman on the podium does not detect as evil. A few of the nobles detect as very minorly evil.

The throne room is chaos, shouts growing from a low rumble to a chorus of voices calling for Blackjack's arrest or death, while others yell out their dissent. The Queen's bodyguard, the same woman you've seen on your previous visit shadowing Ileosa, stands tall, black hair whipping as she turns, sword drawn. "Seize them," she orders, her voice carrying over the crowd. Guards rush forwards, pushing through the crowds. Kroft adds to the shouting: "Seal the doors. Take them alive, men!"

Up on the podium, Blackjack points the tip of his sword towards Ileosa and the Crimson Throne, silently holding his position for a long moment. Then, before the guards can reach him, he takes a high leap, his arm holding a shocked Trinia in place against him. He catches a rope that's descended from the ceiling, swinging across the room. With a deft kick, Blackjack smashes through one of the tall glass windows, disappearing from sight as shards of the shattered window falls to the floor.

23. - Top - End - #803
    Troll in the Playground

Aldrin blinks twice, a bit confused at the events that had just transpired. Apparently, he was not the only one. While Field Marsal Kroft shouts orders at her men, Aldrin walks up slowly to the woman and asks,

"This may sound incredibly ignorant of me, but who is this Blackjack?"

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

24. - Top - End - #804
    Troll in the Playground

Seeing the masked man escape without need of his aid, Rennard releases his hold on the Vanish spell.

Maestro was right whispers the blade inside the fencer's mind, her voice rich with a giggleness that only comes from great tension being released
    Of course replies the magus, pretending to be cool and collected, but with only marginal success: Rennard was also about to start bursting with nervous laughter

Hearing Jensi's and Alrdin's question, the duelist pulls himself together. As he answers the question in his companion's mind, his usually academic tone and direct sentences are replaced by a quicker and (slightly) more florid speech

I have heard of this Blackjack: He is an urban myth who is said to protect the city of Krovosa in its times of need. Legends say that he represents the life of the city, and even some speculate that he might be a sentient manifestation of the city's collective unconsciousness...

The duelist stops abruptly and clears his throat as if embarrassed. It seems that his brain finally caught up with the words that were being spoken

Back to his normal speech, Rennard finishes the briefing in his usual spartan tone

Last reports of Blackjack's appearance were ten years ago. There was some early speculation that he was involved with the King's demise, but no confirmation.

The fencer makes a pause and runs down the possible options available.

1- Do nothing and let Blackjack escape
    2- Help with the search for Blackjack and Trinia, which could lead to
    2a- Rennard and his companions would not find them
    2b- If they were able to catch up to the fugitives, detain them
    2c- If the were to catch up to the fugitives, aid them
    2d- If the fugitives had been detained and the group was small enough, help Trinia and Blackjack

After a quick analysis, Rennard decides that it would be best if the party aided with any search efforts

Field-Marshal the duelist says to Kroft Can we help?

My PbP characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Caelon Ismort, lvl 6 paladin, Kingmaker (Part II)

Gael, lvl 3 sorcerer, Serpent Skull

Ril, lvl 3 ninja, Jade Regent

Raigard, lvl 4 alchemist, Rise of the Runelords

Astias, lvl 3 human bard, Wrath of the Righteous

Retired Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Rennard Balmont, lvl 9 magus Curse of the Crimson Throne (Parts I-IV)
    LIX (lvl 7 minotaur psychic warrior), Fall of the Dragon King
    Revelc, lvl 4 ranger, Origin of Species

gg, N_R

25. - Top - End - #805
    Troll in the Playground

Dastan watches in stunned silence as the cloaked figure takes his leave. She still doesn't... But, if she killed the king, surely the taint would appear upon her, and weeks of interrogation would prevent her from masking it magically... Gods, that was well-executed. Timed to the second, and holding the woman the whole way... He shakes his head, then seems to realize what has happened. Oh hells, after the announcement that Trinia was guilty of the king's murder, we could easily be back to anarchy in an instant, guilty or not. Someone needs to catch them, or everything I've done since Lamm's death could come undone. He returns the Chackram to his belt and looks around, trying to figure out the best course of action while Rennard explains the rumours about Blackjack. "It doesn't matter who he is. He just absconded with the woman publically declared to be the king's killer. This whole thing will spark another riot if it isn't contained." He quickly turns to the Field Marshall. "Which way does that window lead? We have to be after him before he gets away!"

26. - Top - End - #806

Jensi

"Wow!" Jensi says, to nobody in particular. "Did you see that? He went right through the window! Wow!"

Looking around, it becomes clear to Jensi that, yes, everyone did see it, judging by the frantic shouting. His head swings back and forth between Dastan and Kroft and Rennard as they all begin shouting, sending his blonde curls swinging messily.

"I though we liked Trinia," he says. "Well, I liked her. Shouldn't we be glad that she got away? I bet the man in the mask is really nice!"
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

27. - Top - End - #807
    Troll in the Playground

"Jensi!" Aldrin tries to cut in, "Please stop trying to get us suspected of involvement in the regicide."

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

28. - Top - End - #808

Blackjack is pursued by a host of guards, but by the time the shattered window is located on the Castle's exterior, both Trinia and Blackjack have vanished into the gathering night...

-----------------------------------------

The next morning, there is no rioting, or even less violent forms of protest. There is, in its place, a hushed silence that falls over the city. The people take in the night's events in closed circles in the markets, and in their homes. The name "Blackjack" is on every tongue.

Blackjack, the city's hero, returned, and what is more, in direct opposition to the new Queen. A few youngsters even play at being "Blackjacks," fighting off injustice with wooden sticks.

Posters are plastered on every street corner offering an immense bounty for the capture of Trinia Sabor alive, and half that amount for her corpse. But for one week, then two, then three, nothing turns up.

Then, on a dark and moonless night, just before the midnight bells toll, you are roused from your sleep by an urgent pounding at your door. A moment later, an out of breath guardsman enters. "The Field Marshal requests your presence on the North Bridge," he huffs. "There's something happening... I have horses outside."

29. - Top - End - #809

Jensi

"This is exciting!" Jensi exclaims to the guard. "Something important must be happening! Let's go see what it is!" he says imploringly to his companions, like a puppy barking to get out of a stuffy house.
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

30. - Top - End - #810
    Troll in the Playground

"When are we ever called for good news?" asks Aldrin with a sigh, readying himself to follow the guardsman. "I really need to get my own place."

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired: