New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 54 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1591
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: (Pathfinder) The Curse of the Crimson Throne IC

Rennard is taken by surprise by the sorcerer's request. Nothing in the data the fencer had collected on Aldrin's behavior so far had indicated that he would prefer to go back to the Academy.

It seemed very illogical

Maybe it is not about where to go, but not where go suggest Reve mentally. Before the duelist has a chance to argue, the blade adds You should let him come. He has his reasons, and respecting your friend's wishes would be the nice thing to do

Defeated, the magus nods to the sorcerer

Agreed. Let us proceed he responds spartanly

Unless someone disagrees, Rennard will start heading back to the city
    Last edited by Drothmal; 2012-02-11 at 03:30 PM.

My PbP characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Caelon Ismort, lvl 6 paladin, Kingmaker (Part II)

Gael, lvl 3 sorcerer, Serpent Skull

Ril, lvl 3 ninja, Jade Regent

Raigard, lvl 4 alchemist, Rise of the Runelords

Astias, lvl 3 human bard, Wrath of the Righteous

Retired Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Rennard Balmont, lvl 9 magus Curse of the Crimson Throne (Parts I-IV)
    LIX (lvl 7 minotaur psychic warrior), Fall of the Dragon King
    Revelc, lvl 4 ranger, Origin of Species

gg, N_R

2. - Top - End - #992
    Troll in the Playground

"Excellent," Adrin responds, flexing his fingers. "I hope he enjoys our hospitality as much as we enjoyed his."

Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Tarok and Kamo, level 6 half-orc ranger, bunyip-slayer, and all around badass.

I like half-orcs

Retired:

Aldrin Cress, level 10 human sorcerer. Hero of Korvosa.
    Tireas Slate, level 4 tiefling ninja. Eternally scheming.

DMing: Dragon's Demand

3. - Top - End - #993
    Bugbear in the Playground

The party splits into two groups, walking back through the city gates. The guards wave you through, and then you head off in your different directions.

Rennard and Aldrin

Vencarlo's Academy is shut tight, curtains drawn over windows and the main doors bolted shut. They open, however, as you draw near, and the swordmaster, rapier drawn, ushers you hastily inside. He leads you down a flight of stairs into the Academy's basement. Here, in a room cluttered with training swords, dummies, padded vests, and other equipment, the assassin has been tied up, with hands and legs bound, and a gag placed over his mouth.

"I should go back and guard the doors," Vencarlo says gravely. "I trust you will be fine alone."

Atavian, Dastan, and Jensi

You return to the bridge where the sick beggar called out to you. A cursory look around reveals that he is no longer present, though a dirty, sack-cloth bag lies on the ground where he sat. The merchant whose stall sits across from this eyes you as you return. "Lookin' for your friend?" he calls.
    Last edited by Leviathan; 2012-02-12 at 09:42 PM.
    Fantastic avatar by Ceika.

4. - Top - End - #994
    Troll in the Playground

"Easy way or hard way?" Aldrin asks Rennard as his master leaves the room. "I still have that dagger if you don't mind getting... violent." He pulls the curved blade out of his bag, and stares at the edge almost fondly. "All I really need is a single spell, but that takes all of the fun out of it."

He takes the gag off of the man, waiting for Rennard's response.

Spoiler
    Show
    Intimidate check if necesary.

(1d20+12)[24]

Assuming Rennard wants to do this the easier way, Aldrin will cast Charm Person. DC 19, due to the Infernal Bloodline bonus.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

5. - Top - End - #995
    Troll in the Playground

Bonded! Stop him! cries a horrified Reve inside Rennard's head

The magus mind begins to race in search of a plan

Wait the fencer says while extending an open palm in the sorcerer's direction If the Maestro hears that we are torturing a prisoner while there were alternatives, you might find yourself fighting against one of Korvosa's deadliest blades.

Rennard omits that his loyalties would be very strained if it came to such confrontation

Try using your magic first, for we may obtain more information that way. If that does not work, we will re-evaluate other alternatives.

Inside the duelist's mind, the black blade prays that it will not come to that

My PbP characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Retired Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

gg, N_R

6. - Top - End - #996
    Troll in the Playground

"And you wouldn't want it to come to that, now would you?" Aldrin responds, more to the prisoner than Rennard, touching the man's shoulder as he casts the incantations.
    Last edited by Blisstake; 2012-02-13 at 02:17 AM.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

7. - Top - End - #997

The man's eyes go glassy for a moment, and then snap back onto Aldrin. With the gag removed, he speaks. "Hey there, friend. I appreciate you getting me out of this fix. I'll find some way to pay you back. You mind getting these ropes off me; they aren't the height of comfort, you know."

8. - Top - End - #998
    Troll in the Playground

"No, I don't mind, but if you could help me out first, that would be great." He turns around to Rennard, and motions him to approach. "You were hired by someone to murder me and my, uh, friend here. I need to know who hired you, and why they want us dead, if you could answer that. Then I'll let you free."

Spoiler
    Show
    If necesary:

Bluff: (1d20+11)[20]
    Diplomacy: (1d20+11)[28]

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

9. - Top - End - #999
    Barbarian in the Playground

Jensi

"Yes," calls Jensi to the merchant. "He was a beggar, I think, and Atavian thought he was sick. Do you know where he went?"
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

Characters: Currently applying to games!

10. - Top - End - #1000
    Troll in the Playground

Rennard moves close to Aldrin, but does not say anything. The magus did not favor mind affecting spells, but he knew enough about them to know that confusing the target was to be avoided

Keeping Reve in her sheathe, the duelist readies in his mind a spell that -were the thug to break free from the thrall - would be able to distance Aldrin from harm

Spoiler
    Show
    Readied action: If the spell breaks/the prisoner decides to attack. Cast Hydraulic push

My PbP characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Retired Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

gg, N_R

11. - Top - End - #1001
    Troll in the Playground

Dastan nods along with Jensi's comment, then adds, "He was by no means our friend, whether he seemed to know us or not, but his illness is... Worrisome. We were hoping to find him and do what we can to treat it. The last thing we need is something like that to spread, you understand?"
    Spoiler
    Show

Sorry for the longer than anticipated quiet period. It's been a very trying couple of weeks. Thank goodness it's over now.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

12. - Top - End - #1002

Aldrin and Rennard

The would-be assassin begins to speak. "We were all hired by the man you killed - don't know his name. He paid us in good, shiny coin, and that was good enough for me. Said he needed some help with a job killing some nosy do-gooders. I don't get paid to moralize, so I went for it. Oh, and he also said that if we did well, he'd take us with him when things get really bad. Not sure what he meant by that; I guess that if the Guard got wind of us, he knew a way to escape."

Jensi, Dastan, and Atavian

The merchant grimaces. "Well if he is sick, don't go spreading that news 'round town. Last thing I need is for people to think they'll go all blotchy from buying my wears."

"But if you must know, his lazy carcass got hauled off by some priestess of Sarenrae and her helpers. Probably at their temple now."
    He spits on the ground. "Not that it matters to me. Good riddance that he's gone is all I'll say."

13. - Top - End - #1003
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

"Thank you. We'll head there right away," Atavian gives an appreciative nod to the man before turning to leave. Addressing his companions he states "on to Sarenrae, then?" with the slightest hint of a questioning tone. "They may already know a fair bit about what is going on."

14. - Top - End - #1004
    Troll in the Playground

"When things get bad..." Aldrin thinks to what he could mean by this, and then his eyes suddenly go wide as he turns to Rennard. "Dammit! I think Atavian's right with his plague theory. We need to get this sorted out, fast."

He turns back toward the thug and responds, "Did he say anything about this way to escape the guards?"

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

15. - Top - End - #1005

Aldrin and Rennard

The prisoner shakes his head. "No, nothing. He said we were in 'a need to know' sort of arrangement. But that even if the city were locked up nice and tight, he knew of where to stay safe."

Atavian, Jensi, and Dastan

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm assuming you're all okay with going to the temple.

Korvosa's sole temple of Sarenrae is a simple, utilitarian structure, constructed of whitewashed stone except for a black domed roof, topped by a spire bearing the Dawnflower's sigil. Its wide doors would normally be spread open to welcome the faithful and those in need of aid, but now they are shut tightly.

The reason for this is quickly apparent. A crowd of perhaps twenty people has gathered outside, yelling and pushing. Most, you notice, are ragged and dirty, their faces blotched with red blisters. By the temple doors, two men stand, their faces grim. One, a dwarf with a thick brown beard, shouts for them to back away: "Get back!" The other, a human with a prominent moustache and a suit polished armour strapped about his body, calls for calm: "Good people, please, calm yourselves. We will help all in turn!"

16. - Top - End - #1006

Jensi

Jensi pushes his way - gently - through the crowd with liberal "excuse me"s and "sorry, coming through"s. He approaches those standing by the doors to the temple.

"Hi!" he says breathlessly. "We're here because we walked by this beggar on a bridge and at first didn't think anything about him but then he fell over like he was asleep only he wasn't and Atavian saw he was sick with a maybe-plague and then we came back later and he was gone and a nice merchant said he was taken here. So do you think you could help us find him? That would be super nice!"
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Troll in the Playground

We haven't learned anything useful! This is so frustrating! complains Reve telepathically

Compartmentalization of the information is the most logical course of action when dealing with events of this ilk. Considering the extensive planning and careful execution shown by our mysterious foes so far, it is unsurprising that we learn nothing from a hired thug responds Rennard aloud, both answering the blade and addressing the sorcerer next to him

Turning to the prisoner, the fencer makes a last attempt at getting any useful information

Did you see your employer go anywhere out of the ordinary or talk to anyone besides the people he hired?

If the question proves unsuccessful (the most likely scenario in Rennard's mind), the magus will turn to Aldrin

I will ask the Maestro about what happened to the bodies of the people attacked us. Maybe the leader had written down somewhere a name of a place or a contact

As the duelist leaves, he can feel Reve's consciousnesses probing his mind

What did you not tell Aldrin, Bonded?

I need to confirm something. But I worry that we were not targeted by an ordinary assasin responds the fencer cryptically

Once he finds his master, Rennard brings Vencarlo up to speed with the recent events: the safe transport of Trinia, the thread of a plague and the lack of information from the interrogation

Maestro, do you know anything of the Red Mantis Assassins? the pupil asks suddenly, not giving an explanation

My PbP characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Retired Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

gg, N_R

18. - Top - End - #1008

Rennard and Aldrin

"Look," the prisoner tells Rennard, "we were hired muscle, not confidants. He didn't trust us, we didn't trust him 'til the gold was in our hands. That's how it works. So no, he didn't go anywhere unusual while we were with him."

Then Rennard goes upstairs to speak with his teacher, leaving Aldrin alone with the prisoner.

Vencarlo meets his protege at the top of the stairs. Rennard explains the situation to him. "Somehow I doubt that this plague just happened to have emerged now. And as for the bodies, I searched them myself; there was nothing." Despite Rennard's evasion, the duelling master discerns the intent behind asking about the Red Mantis.

"I know that they are dangerous men and women, best avoided if possible. They are fanatical and skilled, and do not easily give up the hunt. If the man you killed was truly one of their number, it is to be expected that he would leave no hint of his employer - he is a professional. But regardless, we must all tread lightly, I fear. The city is no longer safe."

Jensi, Atavian, and Dastan

The armoured, moustached man by the temple turns to face Jensi. "I am afraid that you enter at your own risk, child. It is noble that you wish to help this man, but the sanctum is already filled with the sick. We have been forced already to turn away those who are not grievously ill. Some... do not take this well." He nods towards the crowd. "But if, so forewarned, you still wish to enter, speak to Mother Dawnseeker, she is the temple's leading priest."

19. - Top - End - #1009

Jensi

"Alright!" Jensi says blithely, disregarding the man's grave warning. "We'll go inside and talk to Mother Dawnseeker. That's a funny name, but she sounds like a nice lady!"
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

20. - Top - End - #1010
    Troll in the Playground

Dastan looks around at the angry crowd, then to the guards in front. "How many people seem to have been afflicted with this illness, if I may ask?" He seems to consider for a moment, then continues. "Jensi, Atavian, please continue to speak with the priestess. I will do my best to bring this situation under control. Sir... I fear I do not know your name, do you mind if I address this crowd? So many sick people in close proximity, especially if some sort of plague is present in the area, could all wind up in even worse condition if they all spread their ailments to one another. I believe I may be able to convince them to disperse, if nothing else."

21. - Top - End - #1011
    Troll in the Playground

Indeed, Maestro agrees Rennard, not surprised at all that the fencing master had seen through his ellipses

I think that there is no more that we can do here. I will collect my companion and we will try to join with the rest of the group to investigate this plague further.

The duelist pauses for a second

Maestro... please inform me if you are in need of further assistance... and please consider leaving the city while the plague is afoot

After finishing his conversation with Vencarlo, Rennard returns to the basement where Aldrin and the prisoner are

Aldrin, there is something I must inform you about... says the magus. Then Rennard proceeds to share with the sorcerer his knowledge on the Red Mantis assassins.

We should best catch up with the others. If we are attacked while divided, we will be easy prey

Rennard clearly avoids mentioning the fate of the prisoner. Though the duelist opposes to killing, he realizes that very few options are left available for him and Aldrin...

My PbP characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Retired Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

gg, N_R

22. - Top - End - #1012
    Troll in the Playground

"Hmm..." Aldrin considers the new information, trying to get a grasp of the situation's magnitude. "There's a chance they may not be done with us, then. That's... that's really not something I want right now. If it does happen, I suppose that means we'll just have to do our best to capture the leader alive. At any rate, I agree; we should regroup and tell the others what we learned."

The sorcerer takes a step toward the exit, but then remembers there was still the matter of their former assaulter. He remember's Rennard's opposition to killing Barvasi's thugs (Damn, how long ago was that, just a month?), so he offers a solution, making sure it doesn't sound like he's actually considering anyone else's feelings, of course.

"Well, I think it would be disrespectful to your master to kill the man in this institution. How about we let Orisini deal with this how he sees fit, and we continue on?"

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

23. - Top - End - #1013

Dastan - Outside the Temple

"Sir Gregor. I am a servant of Iomedae also," he says, nodding towards your holy symbol. "My companion is one of the good people of this city who lends his aid to the temple: Borrick Ironshield is his name."

Sir Gregor shakes his head sadly at your question. "Some number; more have been arriving all morning. I fear something terrible has happened. The worst have been taken into the temple, but we cannot help them all."

The dwarf, Borrick, speaks up at the other question, his manner gruff. "They haven't listened to reason yet, but unless yer clumsy as a drunken goblin with yer words, it won't do any harm."

Jensi and Atavian - Inside the Temple

The temple's interior is unpretentious, and it feels as though the entire building has been constructed as a sanctuary. Tall candles sit in clusters in corners, shining golden light out over the temple floor, which is circular in shape, the domed ceiling supported by six pillars arrayed in a hexagon. The air is thick with a soothing incense.

It would be peaceful in most circumstances, but now it is filled with groans of pain and the coughs of the sick. Cots and blankets have been laid out in rows across the floor, filling most of the empty spaces. On these lie huddled forms of people. Between the rows of the sick, several priests walk quietly, murmuring prayers and occasionally bending down to touch or speak to someone.

Noticing your entrance, one of the priests approaches you. She is a woman of perhaps twenty-five years, with coffee-coloured skin and long black hair which flows over the simple white robes that she wears. Her forehead has a fingernail-sized sun image tattooed onto it. "I am Mother Dawnseeker, my children. You do not seem to have come seeking healing; is there something I can do for you," she asks, her voice polite, tinted with a strong Kelesh accent. Underneath the surface is a staunch determination.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fun fact: writing "Kelesh(it)e" turns into Kele****e. Hence Kelesh.

Aldrin and Rennard - Vencarlo's Academy

"Indeed," Vencarlo says. "I will find some way to ensure that he keeps quiet. Now, go; there may not be much time."

Spoiler
    Show
    Okay, being done with this scene, you're now outside the temple with Dastan.
    Last edited by Leviathan; 2012-02-23 at 12:24 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1014
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

All the while he moves through the sick, Atavian's mind fights off a foreboding sense of doom. While the groans are disquieting, worse is the palpable feeling in the air... despair. A certain hopelessness crawls in the back of the halfling's mind: futility is its name. As he hears the diseased throng's cacophonous coughs, he wonders, how can anyone stop a cart of this size, now that it is rolling?

In better times, the concept of a pestilence was something his mind had tried to ponder, but the sheer scope of it was something of which his imagination had fallen horribly shy. Even in this early stage, with but a tiny fraction of the population ill, he can see how naive his view of the horror of pestilence truly was. Trying to progress the city in his mind... no, that is too dark a road. I must vie with all my strength against this. Yet still, futility curled inside and did not budge at his willful thoughts.

At Mother Dawnseeker's words, he gathers himself to the present and replies, "you are correct. We are not here for healing... but this," he looks to the diseased behind him with an emphatic motion, "is why we are here. I... I fear that I know the origin of this plague... and... we want to help. We need insight. We need information. I guess what we really need is a way to combat this... some direction."

25. - Top - End - #1015
    Troll in the Playground

Dastan bows slightly. "Thank you, Sirs. I will do what I can to make them see reason." He turns towards the crowd, takes a few steps forwards and clears his throat. "Good day, citizens of Korvosa. I can see that you are worried and sick, that you are in need of aid from the healers here, but we simply do not have the resources to treat the maladies of everyone at once." He takes a few paces to the left, then to the right and back, constantly moving as he talks. "By gathering here you risk exposing yourself and your fellow citizens to new illnesses, increasing the burden on these healers and further limiting their ability to treat those who need their aid. Please, help us maintain order such that all may be helped in turn. If you are willing to help, form an orderly line and tell us your name, what you fear may be afflicting you and your place of residence, then make your way to the edge of the square, away from the temple doors. Once we have a better understanding of your ailments, we will be able to determine how best to help you. Pushing and shouting only harms our ability to help; by maintaining order, you are helping not only yourselves, but your fellow citizens as well."

Spoiler
    Show

Well, that's about the best I'm going to do. Not entirely satisfied with it, but it's not worth another rewrite. I'm starting to think I'm not much of a speech-writer, which is something of a shame given the sheer number of speeches Dastan seems to make. I'd better be careful, or he'll turn into some sort of politician.

Diplomacy, I guess: (1d20+15)[25]

26. - Top - End - #1016

Inside the Temple

"We welcome all who come to help. I would under different circumstances beg of you your knowledge of the source of this affliction. But I am deeply concerned for the poor of Old Korvosa. We have too few faithful to tend to them unless the come here. Indeed, I have heard dire rumours that the sick, injuring, elderly, and feeble are dying there in great numbers. The Arkona family exercises great control over the island, and has been ensuring that the bodies of the dead are transported to the Grey district. It is a sad thing to say that some have shirked their duties to the greater good, but this is the case. Many of the carters that the Arkonas and the magistrates have hired have been depositing the corpses in an area of Old Korvosa known as Racker's Alley. I fear that if these corpses are not dealt with soon, their pestilence will spread. Please, if you would help, see to it that they are burnt or buried properly."

Outside the temple

Dastan's words are greeted with silence, then some murmuring. After a few minutes, the vast majority of the people have formed a line. The dwarf, Borrick, pulls out a sheaf of parchment on which to record their names.

"Thank you, sir," the knight, Gregor, says to Dastan. "You have done us and them a great service."

27. - Top - End - #1017
    Troll in the Playground

After biding his master farewell, Rennard follows Aldrin to the temple where the rest of the companions are.

Arriving just in time to hear Dastan's speech and the results of the paladin's words, the fencer is pleased to see that logic prevailed.

Approaching Dastan, the magus nods at his companion

No progress on our end. Are the rest inside?

Unless something requires his attention outside, the duelist will try to lead Aldrin and Dastan to rejoin Atavian and Jensi

My PbP characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Retired Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

gg, N_R

28. - Top - End - #1018
    Troll in the Playground

"Not quite true," Aldrin corrects. "We learned that the assassins trying to kill us have some sort of passage going throughout the town past the notice of the guards, and that whatever is going on in the city right was premeditated by whoever hired them."

After a brief pause, in which he thinks about the situation, Aldrin continues, "Whoever is doing this has access to significant resources."

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

29. - Top - End - #1019
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

The halfling bows his head in response, "I shall see what we can do. Before I go, please, what can you tell me about this plague? When did it first appear? How many do you think are afflicted? How quickly does it spread? How..." Atavian pauses, uncertain he even wants to know the answer to his burning question. After a moment, he finishes, "how many afflicted survive?"

30. - Top - End - #1020

Jensi

"Are you suuure there's nothing we can do to help here?" Jensi asks, surveying the temple with a mixture of dubiousness and concern. "I mean, at least you're not asking for gold to help - I think that makes you nice! - but there are still loads of people here who look sick to me."
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!