New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 54 FirstFirst ... 203536373839404142434445464748495051525354 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1591
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: (Pathfinder) The Curse of the Crimson Throne IC

"Yes, Dastan, I know we don't kill prisoners. If you had half a mind for how to interrogate then maybe..." the sorcerer is interrupted as one of the wererats bolts free. "Oh no you don't! Durmas!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Sleep DC 17 at the same time Jensi uses hold person. It lasts 5 minutes so it's okay if they overlap since Hold Person can break after as little as 1 round.

"We can talk about how to properly conduct an interrogation later, Dastan. In the meantime, Hemil, tell us where your chief is so we can get him out of this picture and avoid this pointless war he's planning. If you don't, we may just have to kill every were-rat in our way until we find him. And if you haven't noiced, we're quite good at it." At the conclusion of his threat, Aldrin glares at the paladin as if daring him to condradict. "Soon as you do that, you can leave."

Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Tarok and Kamo, level 6 half-orc ranger, bunyip-slayer, and all around badass.

I like half-orcs

Retired:

Aldrin Cress, level 10 human sorcerer. Hero of Korvosa.
    Tireas Slate, level 4 tiefling ninja. Eternally scheming.

DMing: Dragon's Demand

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Bugbear in the Playground

The fleeing wererat rebel freezes in place. His eyes close, though it is subtle since his body cannot slump in its unnatural rest. His failure to escape seems to take some of the fight out of Hemil.

"Fine. Follow the main tunnel past the filters. Girrigz is just past there. They've dug a burrow into the side of the tunnel, so it's hard not to see, even for blind outsiders."

Atavian, Jensi, Dresane, Dastan
    Spoiler
    Show
    Hemil is holding something back, though not outright lying.

Atavian, Rennard
    Spoiler
    Show
    You are aware that "filters" in Korvosa are in fact otyughs, strange creatures that will devour anything that crosses their paths, including garbage.

Eries is visibly relieved as her son divulges this information. "Now we can go home, Hemie." She looks at you. "I'll take my Hemie back to our den and then meet you after you've finished Girrigz."
    Fantastic avatar by Ceika.

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Troll in the Playground

How many otyughs? asks Rennard, not bothering to explain that he picked up that word from Hemil's mention of "filters"

Fighting them would no doubt alert Girrigz of our presence... the magus continues, thinking aloud.

All of a sudden, new pieces fall into position and the duelist asks another question

How did you and your companions bypass the creatures? Otyughs are mindless beasts that attack everything in sight. If they are still alive and you and your companions were here, the only logical conclusion is that there are ways to Girrigz's hideout that do not include fighting them.

My PbP characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Caelon Ismort, lvl 6 paladin, Kingmaker (Part II)

Gael, lvl 3 sorcerer, Serpent Skull

Ril, lvl 3 ninja, Jade Regent

Raigard, lvl 4 alchemist, Rise of the Runelords

Astias, lvl 3 human bard, Wrath of the Righteous

Retired Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Rennard Balmont, lvl 9 magus Curse of the Crimson Throne (Parts I-IV)
    LIX (lvl 7 minotaur psychic warrior), Fall of the Dragon King
    Revelc, lvl 4 ranger, Origin of Species

gg, N_R

4. - Top - End - #1324

Hemil looks as though he will refuse to answer Rennard's question, but then he gives up. "We would throw them some food - anything, really - before we went past. If you're fast and don't get close, you'll get by. Girrigz said otyugh's aren't as mindless as they look, though. They speak, but mostly only the language of creatures from deep underground."

5. - Top - End - #1325
    Barbarian in the Playground

Jensi

"I've never seen an otyugh before," Jensi says, sounding excited. "What do you suppose they like to eat? Maybe bread? Or apples - everyone likes apples." The youth stops, thinking more. "We should bring a lot of food, in case they're extra hungry."
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

Characters: Currently applying to games!

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Troll in the Playground

"Hm, sounds easy enough," Aldrin notes, "I haven't seen one of those beasts before either, but I'd much rather bypass them, so we can reach Girrigz without incident. We'd better get the food fast, though, he's going to realize something's wrong when he doesn't hear from any of the rats we just killed."

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Dwarf in the Playground

"We have food here." She points downwards at the bodies of the dead wererats. "It sounds harsh, I am aware. But Cress is right; we cannot waste time. If you must, say a prayer for their souls, though it will not do them any good, and then help me to carry them. We can make a sled or raft out of some of these planks."

Unless someone stops her or argues, the Hellknight sets about doing as she describes.
    Last edited by Minerva; 2012-05-28 at 12:42 PM.
    The wonderful Athena avatar is courtesy of Akrim.elf!

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Troll in the Playground

Aldrin is right, Rennard agrees (an event that was happening with increase frequency, Reve points out mischievously) time is of the essence.

Before the inquisitor has a chance to use the bodies as fodder, the magus raises a hand

Let's search the fallen for rations first. They should be carrying at least one more trip worth of bait.

Even though we might avoid fighting the otyughs, it is likely that our foes will be aware of someone approaching. We should also plan to strike swiftly before they are able to set their defenses in place

My PbP characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Retired Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

gg, N_R

9. - Top - End - #1329

A search of the area reveals Rennard's logic to be true. Leaning against one of the tunnel walls is a mildewed old sack, the contents of which reek even in the less-than-cleanly environment. It is heavy, containing what appears to be the raw, rotting remains of most of an adult pig, with snout, hooves, and patches of bristled fur still discernible.

The same search also turns up a number of items: a wickedly sharp, serrated dagger on one of the wererats, still in its sheath; an opened crate containing thirty magical crossbow bolts; and a few personal trinkets from the corpses.

Spoiler
    Show
    In addition to the pig, you've found:

A +1 keen dagger
    30 +1 crossbow bolts
    250 gp worth of jewelry and personal effects.

10. - Top - End - #1330
    Troll in the Playground

Let's keep moving says Rennard in a detached voice

Dastan, since you have the best eyesight, you'll have the highest chances to spot the otyughs. As soon as you see them, throw the bag in their direction, but as far as possible from our path the fencer knows he did not need to be that specific with the paladin, but too much of the plan hinged on the success of a non-violent infiltration for the magus to take chances

As soon as they are distracted, we must move swiftly. Dresane, Jensi and Aldrin, you will be in charge of taking down any sentries. Dastan and Tallox, you'll be the main impact force. I'll use an invisibility spell and disrupt any enemy spellcasters

My PbP characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Retired Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

gg, N_R

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Atavian looks about with a grimace, "we can't let him go yet. We can't exactly send him with Eries either, as he'd just leave and Hemil would likely let him. He could still get ahead and alert Girrigz, so we need..."

As Atavian talks, Tallox walks up to the held, sleeping wererat and clubs him over the head repeatedly.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Assuming Tallox hits the helpless character with NL attack (if I recall NL coup de grace only works with an explicit NL weapon)
    Dam 1: (1d6+5)[10]
    Dam 2: (1d6+5)[9]
    Dam 3: (1d6+5)[6]

"Uh... I guess that works. Hemil, take him with you. Anyway, if it comes to it, I may be able to communicate with the Otyughs. If we can avoid it, we shouldn't fight them. Monster or no, they do perform a valuable service to the city."

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dresane nods in recognition of Tallox's act. "You do what needs to be done, creature." The line seems a complement.

"Let us proceed with Balmont's plan and move quickly. Girrigz must not be allowed to escape, and I do not wish to guess at the number of escape routes this sewer offers to him. Surprise him, stop him, kill him. And do the same to any who stand against us."

13. - Top - End - #1333

Jensi

"What service do they do for the city?" Jensi asks, curiosity aroused by Atavian's comment. "Are they guards or something? Guarding the sewers? I think I would rather guard some place prettier, like the castle, but I guess the sewers need guarding too..."

"Yes, let's go feed them!" Jensi says eagerly. "Can we go now and feed them? Please?"
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

14. - Top - End - #1334
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Atavian first smiles at Jensi's comment, then he chuckles. "Jensi... they eat... poo," the halfling finishes in a whisper.

Spoiler
    Show
    I assume Atavian knows this since he knows what a "filter" is.

15. - Top - End - #1335
    Troll in the Playground

Dastan nods in acknowledgement. "That plan seems sound to me, Rennard. It certainly seems to have worked well in this case. As always, I will try to bring down their leader as soon as I can; if nothing else, it should demoralize them and disrupt their strategy. We should, though, do what we can to spare the Otyughs, if they are important to the city's infrastructure..." He shrugs, his platemail clicking together. "Eries, we will return when the rest of this Girrigz' followers have been dealt with. We can discuss our arrangement when we return."
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

16. - Top - End - #1336

The party readies itself to move forwards, pressing onwards down the tunnel. After a few minutes of walking the dank corridor the smell of rotting refuse gets noticeably worse, almost visible in the steamy air, rather like a noxious cloud.

The source of the stench is soon apparent. The tunnel ends in a large grate, that seals it off from a huge round chamber, its floor depressed so that all the waste being carried through the tunnels' channels flows down into it. In the centre of the room is a large basin, in which floats an assortment of garbage and unmentionables. A splashing, crunching noise calls your attention to the pair of large creatures that sit in the basin, their leathery green hides splattered with filth. They are round, little more than freakishly large mouths on stumpy legs, their maws filled with rows of sharp teeth. A tentacle atop the creature waves about, embedded with multiple eyes of different sizes and shapes. Other tentacles, these ones with suckers and spines, latch onto particularly appetizing garbage and drag the items towards their mouths.

The otyughs are too busy with their activity to notice you outside behind the grate. The metal bars that block the way are simple to slip past, even for Dastan in his heavy platemail, as they were evidently built to keep the otyughs inside, rather than keeping others out, and are correspondingly widely spaced.

Clambouring through the bars and into the otyughs' chamber, you note a similar set of bars on the opposite wall. As dictated by Rennard's plan, Dastan moves forwards, the bag of rancid pig in hand. For a man of less strength, the throw would be difficult, but Dastan is able to hurl the bag without much trouble. It lands twenty feet from the pool of garbage in which the otyugh's wade. Immediately, the creatures' eyestalks dart to peer at the pig. Then, as one, the monsters splash out of the pool, running towards the tasty treat as fast as their short legs can carry them.

From there, it is a simple matter of hugging the other wall and creeping quietly enough not to disturb the beasts...

Spoiler
    Show
    I'll need stealth checks from everyone. The otyughs have a sizeable penalty to their perception, though.

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Troll in the Playground

It takes much of Rennard's discipline not to react to the combination of disgusting stenches and sights. But the fencer's training proves true and his features remained controlled as he continues moving with stealth.

Spoiler
    Show
    If it it possible to take 10, Rennard will do so for a total of 18. If it is not possible, use the following roll
    Stealth - (1d20+8)[26]

My PbP characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Retired Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

gg, N_R

18. - Top - End - #1338
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dresane takes a deep, disgusted breath, then follows Rennard along the room's wall, doing her best to keep her movements muffled. She points downwards silently at bits of difficult terrain, glaring at Dastan as if to say 'do not slip up, paladin.'

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking a 10 for a total of 20.
    Aid another for Dastan. (1d20+10)[27]

19. - Top - End - #1339
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Atavian pulls his shirt up in a futile effort to mask the smell. Even during in his time of abjection and even during prison, he never had to deal with anything this repulsive. Thanks to his small frame, the halfling moves quietly through the filth. Although, he curses that it places him closer to the sewage.

Tallox merely scowls at the smell. The unpleasantness of the moment is nothing weighted against the passing of an eternity... but it still stinks. Moving deftly through the filth just ahead of Dastan, Tallox deliberately chooses to place his feet on objects which muffle the noise of his passing.

Spoiler
    Show
    In case we haven't reached our limit on aid for Dastan...

Tallox aid stealth for Dastan: (1d20+9)[21]
    Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2012-05-30 at 09:27 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1340

Jensi

Jensi opens his mouth, as if to say "ewww," but thinks better of it, given the goal of stealthiness. Quite green, he continues, before stopping suddenly. Murmuring a spell, the wall seems to move forwards several feet, concealing the party from view.

Spoiler
    Show
    Stealth: (1d20+1)[6]

Also, Jensi will cast Minor Image to make a wall between the party and the otyughs.
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

21. - Top - End - #1341
    Troll in the Playground

Aldrin walks past, following the others with an uneasy look on his face. He's tempted to cover his nose and mouth with his arm, but doesn't want to show any weakness in the presense of a Hellknight.

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking a 10 for 12

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

22. - Top - End - #1342

The party sneaks along the wall opposite the pair of otyughs, who are now squabbling over the rotten pig, gnashing their maws and waving tentacles menacingly. It seems as though everyone will make it to the grate that is your objective - Dastan in his fullplate, and Atavian and Aldrin, are passably quiet, while Dresane, Tallox, and Rennard manage to keep their movements subtle and stealthy. But then Jensi puts his foot down carelessly, smashing through a rotten box that lies discarded along the wall, just as the young oracle casts his illusion.

One of the otyughs continues to ignore the wall in favour of the pig, but the other wheels its eyestalk around, scanning like an organic periscope. It is fortunate indeed that Jensi was able to cast his illusion, for the otyugh soon decides that its searching is merely letting its companion eat the prime cuts of the festering feast, such as it is.

Now the party is safely past the filter. The tunnel here slopes downwards, carrying the "cleaned" sewage along with it. Water drips from the ceiling through cracks and condensation. Ahead, the tunnel curves, and at the corner, the orange glow of a fire lights the walls. You can hear whispering voices.

"There is a plague above, it is killing many! And us too, if we go up. We wait until they're dead, then take what we want! Burn what we want!"

"No! The city humans will die soon! You snivelled in here too long, you are an old coward. I'm not scared of them! I'll gut them all!"

23. - Top - End - #1343

Jensi

"Huh, it sounds like someone is fighting down there," Jensi whispers. "It sounds like the wererats... do you think it might be Girrigz? Should we go check?"
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

24. - Top - End - #1344
    Troll in the Playground

"Yes," answers Aldrin simply, "Obs Avers"

Rennard once again vanishes from sight, who Aldrin reasons doesn't need further instructions.

Spoiler
    Show
    Invisibility again

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Troll in the Playground

Cloaked in Aldrin's spell, Rennard begins to slowly approach the source of the conversation, taking great care not to divulge the party's presence so close to their intended target

Spoiler
    Show
    If possible, take 10 on Stealth for a 38. If a roll must be made
    Stealth - (1d20+28)[42] (accounts for invisibility)

My PbP characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Retired Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

gg, N_R

26. - Top - End - #1346

Rennard approaches the fire-lit bend in the tunnel stealthily, concealed by Aldrin's sorcery. The magus can see that the tunnel widens into a crude chamber, though it has not been originally intended to do so. Instead, the layers of brick and mortar lining the tunnel walls have been broken off, revealing hard-packed clay, earth, and rock. This has been excavated into a sizeable cavern, propped up by wooden struts that stand at precarious angles with no standardized distance between them.

The sewer-cave is clearly well lived-in: closely packed bedrolls lie in shoddy rows near the walls, while barrels and crates have been repurposed into tables, chairs, and virtually every other type of furniture. More menacingly, racks of weapons - axes, spears, crossbows, daggers - sit as an impromptu armoury.

Closer, near the tunnel in which the party waits, a pair of wererats are talking. One seems ancient, practically furless, with only a few tuffs remaining. He has clouded white eyes and a hunched back. The other is large, wearing a suit of armour that looks as though it was assembled from whatever could be looted, stolen, or smithed. His fur is bristled and dark, matted, and he seems to wear a perpetual snarl.

Further away, near the weapons, three wererats sit, all three in worn-out leathers. By their gestures, and the faint rattling noises that accompany them, they appear to be dicing.

The elderly wererat continues speaking. "Girrigz, patience! I hate them too, but don't let that make you stupid."

Rennard retreats backwards down the tunnel to inform the group of what he has seen.

Map (for your reference)
    Spoiler
    Show

GZ is Girrigz.
    OW is the old wererat.
    The bridges across the sewage are wide and sturdy enough that no check is needed to cross using them.

27. - Top - End - #1347

The party moves swiftly into position, getting ready for the assault on Girrigz. Dastan, enlarged by Rennard's spell, wades into the sewer filth, but this now goes only to his knee. And then you attack, rounding the corner. The wererats jump and clamour, shocked to see their base being invaded without warning.

Surprise Round + Round 1
    Spoiler
    Show
    You have a surprise round, then a full round. Post your actions for both. As well, we'll try out the buffing system now: post any buffs you cast before combat, their targets, and their effects. I'll add them up for this round, and then you guys can do it for the next rounds.

That said, I'm assuming there will be haste. So roll an extra attack in your full round actions, and I'll discount it if there isn't a haste.

Map
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #1348
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

As the party charges, taking a cue from Rennard, Atavian causes Tallox to grow as well. The almost fourteen foot tall monstrosity lunges forward to attack Girrigz. With his unnaturally enhanced body, Tallox's now massive claws and teeth gnash and strike with lightning-speed at Girrigz repeatedly in a truly terrible display.

Atavian digs through his component pouch until he locates a few flecks of paper-like rock. Holding them in his hand, Atavian can't resist a grin - conjuration, my specialty. With a calculated hand motion and an utterance of the words of power, glinting flecks come into existence near the distant wererats, floating delicately into their eyes.

Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tallox: Enlarge Person +5 ft step, moves him to the 4 squares north of him.
    Surprise Power Attack: (1d20+9)[29] Damage: (1d8+15)[20]+19=39 (if 20 hits)
    Bite 1 Power Attack: (1d20+9)[27] Damage: (1d8+15)[20]
    L Claw Power Attack: (1d20+8)[27] Damage: (1d8+10)[13]+18=31 (if 28 hits)
    R Claw Power Attack: (1d20+8)[28] Damage: (1d8+10)[17]
    Bite 2 Power Attack: (1d20+9)[26] Damage: (1d8+15)[16]

Atavian: Surprise: Enlarge Person on Tallox
    Glitterdust in on W1,W2,W3 (DC 18 will)
    Move 20 ft up

Buffs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mage Armor: Tallox 4 hrs/5 hrs (still active from before)
    Extended Haste: Tallox, Dastan, Rennard, Dresane, Aldrin 9/10 rnd
    Enlarge Person: Tallox 5 min

Summary:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tallox
    HP: 39/39. AC: 23, 11 Touch, 21 Flatfooted.
    Saves: +5 Fortitude, +3 Reflex, +4 Will

Atavian
    HP: 48/48 AC: 18, 15 Touch, 16 Flatfooted.
    Saves: +5 Fortitude, +5 Reflex, +6 Will.
    Spells: 1st: 4/6 2nd: 0/3
    Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2012-06-02 at 10:40 AM.

29. - Top - End - #1349
    Troll in the Playground

Aldrin begins by releasing sonic energy toward the aged were-rat, then rushes forward, putting a layer of frost over the gambling were-rats. A coat of frost mixed in with Atavian's blinding conjuration will hopefully leave them completely unable to react.

Spoiler
    Show
    Ear Piercing Scream on the old were rat (rolls in OOC) for the surprise round. Then moving up 12 spaces (hasted) to hit W2 and W3 with Frost fall

(3d6)[13] cold damage. DC 18 fort or they're staggered.

HP: 34/34
    AC: 13
    F: 3, R: 4, W: 4
    Level 1 Spells: 5/8
    Level 2 Spells: 2/5
    Last edited by Blisstake; 2012-06-02 at 01:56 PM.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dresane closes her eyes as everyone rushes down the sewer tunnel into Girrigz' hideout. She touches a hand to the symbol of her god that dangles around her neck. "It shall be," she murmurs quietly. Then she shouts full force at the wererats. "You have been judged and sentenced to die!"

She levels her longbow and rains arrows down on her foes.

Spoiler
    Show
    Surprise standard action - Attack against OW or W1 (see below).
    Swift to use judgement of justice.

Round 1 - Swift action to use bane. Full attack with rapid shot.

If OOC we decide not to kill the old wererat, she will attack the other three, casting wrath on W1, then firing an arrow at each. If we decide to kill the old one, all three attacks on him.

Attack 1 on W1 or OW: (1d20+16)[24], damage (1d8+4)[7]+(3d6)[6]

Attack 2 (rapid shot) on W2 or OW: (1d20+12)[14] , damage (1d8+4)[5] + (3d6)[6]

Attack 3 (rapid shot) on W3 or OW: (1d20+12)[24], damage (1d8+4)[8] + (3d6)[9]

Attack 4 (rapid shot) on W1 or OW: (1d20+12)[15], damage (1d8+4)[9] + (3d6)[9]
    Last edited by Minerva; 2012-06-02 at 11:37 AM.