New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 46 of 54 FirstFirst ... 2136373839404142434445464748495051525354 LastLast
Results 1,351 to 1,380 of 1591
  1. - Top - End - #1351
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: (Pathfinder) The Curse of the Crimson Throne IC

Rennard, still shrouded in Aldrin's invisibility spell, considers the battlefield for a split second as his allies charge in with devastating effectiveness

Bonded, it might be best if you spare the old one. We might be able to talk the other wererats down from fighting

The fencer considers the suggestion. Seeing that the benefits of said course of action could outweigh the risks of not attacking with full lethal force, the duelist dashes through his enlarged companions and positions himself behind to the old wererat, attacking him with a spell the magus had prepared in case the party had to subdue enemies

Buffs
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ablative Barrier = 4+ Hours
    Shield = 5 mins
    Mirror Image = 5 Mins, 5 images
    Light= 5 mins
    Enlarge person on Dastan = 5 mins
    Haste from Atavian = 9/10 rounds
    Arcane pool = 9/10 rounds
    Black Blade strike = 9/10 rounds

Actions
    Spoiler
    Show
    Surprise Round
    Move directly north of OW

Round 1
    Swift: Activate Arcane Strike
    Full Round: Spell combat + Spellstrike while dealing non lethal damage

Cast Frostbite: (1d6+5)[8] non lethal damage to be added to the first successful hit. Target is fatigued

3 attacks (1 BAB + 1 spellstrike + 1 haste)
    Attack1 - (1d20+10)[24] (3 BAB+4 Dex+3 Magic+1Trait+1Feat+1 Ioun Stone +2 Attacking while Invisible-2 Spell Combat -4 nonlethal + 1 Haste) vs Flat Footed
    [roll=Damage1] 1d6+8[/roll] 10 (see OOC) (1 STR + 3 Magic + 2 Arcane Stike + 2 Black blade strike)
    Attack2 - (1d20+8)[21] (same as attack 1 minus the invisibility bonus, vs flat footed)
    Damage2 - (1d6+8)[10]
    Attack3 - (1d20+8)[27]
    Damage3 - (1d6+8)[14] (+9 if 19 confirms)

Status
    Spoiler
    Show
    HP=45/45
    AC=24 (15 touch, 20 FF)
    F=+7, R=+7, W=+5
    Arcane Pool=5/10
    Black Blade Arcane pool= 0/2
    CMB= +4
    CMD= 18
    Hero points= 3/3
    Mirror Images = 5 (5/6 Miss chance, an attack between 19 and 23 breaks one of the duplicates)
    Ablative Barrier HP = 25/25
    Last edited by Drothmal; 2012-06-02 at 01:42 PM.

My PbP characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Caelon Ismort, lvl 6 paladin, Kingmaker (Part II)

Gael, lvl 3 sorcerer, Serpent Skull

Ril, lvl 3 ninja, Jade Regent

Raigard, lvl 4 alchemist, Rise of the Runelords

Astias, lvl 3 human bard, Wrath of the Righteous

Retired Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Rennard Balmont, lvl 9 magus Curse of the Crimson Throne (Parts I-IV)
    LIX (lvl 7 minotaur psychic warrior), Fall of the Dragon King
    Revelc, lvl 4 ranger, Origin of Species

gg, N_R

2. - Top - End - #1352
    Barbarian in the Playground

Jensi

"Stop, you can't attack the city!" Jensi calls, pointing his finger at the elderly wererat. "Not now, not later, not ever! I won't let you!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting Hold Person (DC 18 Will) on the Old Wererat.
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

Characters: Currently applying to games!

3. - Top - End - #1353
    Bugbear in the Playground

Girrigz DIES. Tallox, his already dangerous, animalistic form swelled to truly monstrous size, crashes down the sewer tunnel and collides with the wererat firebrand. Tallox stabs a clawed hand through Girrigz's stomach, slashes brutally with the other set of sword-sized claws, and then, finally, the eidolon throws his shoulders forwards, his huge head rushing towards Girrigz. The wererat's neck is cleanly severed by Tallox's fangs.

Atavian's spell rains down a sheet of sparkling dust the blinds the startled wererats. Their eyes are clouded by the magical dust, and they wave their paws in the air frantically.

Aldrin fires off his signature spell as he runs down the tunnel. It blasts the balding old were, but, though he staggers, he is tougher than he looks, and quickly shrugs it off. The sorcerer's second spell conjures up a patch of ice. The two wererats caught in it barely have time to deal with Atavian's earlier spell before frost is creeping up their bodies.

Dresane's hail of Asmodeus-imbued arrows comes raining down on the unfortunate trio of lycanthropes. One is struck twice, flopping limply over the table with the projectiles protruding from his back. The other two each receive one, though one of these shots would have missed had not the blinded creature stumbled into it. Both are bleeding heavily now, adding to their doomed situation.

Rennard leaps out at the elderly rat. His sword is primed to impair, not to kill, and it does its job well. A few well placed strikes have the wererat on his knees. He tries to return to his feet when Jensi's spell washes over him. His struggle against it is visible by the tightening of his snout, but he succumbs in the end.

Dastan steps forwards out of the sewer muck, then, seeing the battle against Girrigz and his advisor won, strides towards the other lycanthropes. He finishes one of the creatures off with his sword, a quick slash that is sufficient, merciful even, given the Korvosan punishments for lycanthropy.

The last of the creatures fires a crossbow wildly, with all the effect one would expect from a startled, blinded shooter. None.

Spoiler
    Show
    There's one rat left, W2, who has remained in place. I don't feel the need to update the map. Would someone kindly finish him off

Round 2
    Fantastic avatar by Ceika.

4. - Top - End - #1354
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Still dripping with Girrigz's blood, Tallox charges through the sewer to the remaining lycanthrope and clenches his jaw shut on the creature's shoulder.

Actions:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Bite: (1d20+9)[17] Dam: (1d8+15)[19]

Buffs:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Mage Armor: Tallox 4 hrs/5 hrs (still active from before)
    Extended Haste: Tallox, Dastan, Rennard, Dresane, Aldrin 8/10 rnd
    Enlarge Person: Tallox 5 min

Summary:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tallox
    HP: 48/48. AC: 23 (19), 16 (12) Touch, 21 (17) Flatfooted.
    Saves: +5 Fortitude, +3 Reflex (also, evasion), +4 Will (+8 enchantments)

Atavian
    HP: 58/58 AC: 18, 15 Touch, 16 Flatfooted.
    Saves: +7 Fortitude, +7 Reflex, +9 Will.
    (Note: Saves and Ac listed with shield ally in effect)
    Spells: 1st: 4/6 2nd: 0/4
    Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2012-06-02 at 11:02 PM.

5. - Top - End - #1355

With a squeal of pain, the last of the wererats falls. Only one remains alive, his pink, patchy, wrinkled body frozen by Jensi's spell. He remains like this a few seconds longer, then gets then gets to his feet. His milky eyes show defiance.

"You're keeping me alive to torture me, outsiders? To call me a monster for living in filth and execute me?" His croaking laugh is bitter and angry. "Get on with it then... Your fancy city can't wait to have you back."

6. - Top - End - #1356
    Troll in the Playground

"No," replies Aldrin stepping up to the aged were-rat. "We kept you alive because we don't think you want your people to be slaughtered in the streets above, unlike Girrigz. We're willing to keep you alive if you'll convince your people to stand down, avoiding a pointless conflict. You saw how efficient we were in destroying our enemies; make an intelligent decision and take the were-rats off our list. Or we'll be back."

Spoiler
    Show
    Intimidate I suppose (why do I even have points in diplomacy? )

(1d20+14)[22]

Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Tarok and Kamo, level 6 half-orc ranger, bunyip-slayer, and all around badass.

I like half-orcs

Retired:

Aldrin Cress, level 10 human sorcerer. Hero of Korvosa.
    Tireas Slate, level 4 tiefling ninja. Eternally scheming.

DMing: Dragon's Demand

7. - Top - End - #1357
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

"This plague will be dealt with soon. Order will be restored. I see no reason to kill all of you, as long as you aren't trying to kill us. Keep quiet, don't cause trouble and you'll be mostly left alone. It's not ideal, but there aren't many options for you," Atavian adds.

The enormous beast that is Tallox scoffs angrily, "this is a waste. We should kill them all now, otherwise, we will just have to come back to the sewers again later. I HATE the smell down here."

Spoiler
    Show
    Atavian Intimidate (aid): (1d20+5)[24]
    Tallox Intimidate (aid): (1d20+4)[20]

Not entirely sure if they both can aid...
    Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2012-06-03 at 02:45 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1358

The wererat snarls, a look that would be far more intimidating if he had more than a few incisors remaining. Intimidating or not, though, the snarl is one of defeat. "Fine, outsiders. I'm not stupid enough to die for nothing. But if the gods care about real justice - not what you do to us - then one day you'll suffer for this."

"I will tell those of us who still live to stand down. We will pray to any who will listen for vengeance, but we will not attack."
    He hobbles off, sighing.

Dresane, Dastan
    Spoiler
    Show
    He is furious, but not lying.He'll do as he says.

----------------------------------

You need only wait for a few minutes, before you hear a scampering sound from the route you've already travelled, and Eries scampers up. Gone is her human disguise; now she is a mousy wererat with grey-blond fur and nervous eyes, still wearing her simple Korvosan garments. "Otyughs were to to get by," she sniffs, dusting herself off. "You've helped me... and helped my people, whether or not they will agree. Now I help you. Follow me!"

She leads you along the tunnel, further downwards. Now the putrid sewage is flowing slowly. Ahead, a bluish sunlight shines, heralding the end of the tunnel. You emerge at a wide, circular entrance, somewhere below the city. It is nearly at water level with the Jeggere, into which its effluence slowly trickles. Eries points out over the sun-lit waters to the middle of the river. "There is where your ship sank. We were here, watching. It is..." she pauses to estimate, "maybe two hundred strokes away if you swim well. I am thinking that this ship caused your plague. We saw many crates floating in the water, coming to shore. Some could be still on the ship." She digs around in her apron, then pulls out a few small blue vials. "Potions. They will let you breathe the water. Take them and find what you need."

Spoiler
    Show
    You've each got a potion of water breathing.

9. - Top - End - #1359
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Atavian raises the glass examining the purported potion. He mutters a short incantation, opens the vial and sniffs the contents before studying them further.

Spoiler
    Show
    Detect Magic
    Spellcraft: (1d20+13)[27]
    Know Nature: (1d20+6)[25]

10. - Top - End - #1360

A thorough examination of each vial by Atavian reveals that Eries speaks the truth. The only magic he detects corresponds with what would be necessary in a potion of water breathing, and, similarly, he can find no traces of any natural poison. Unless Eries is a highly skilled assassin, the potions are harmless.

11. - Top - End - #1361
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Atavian looks to the others and asks, "looks like what we need. Should we go now? Or later?"

12. - Top - End - #1362
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dresane glares suspiciously at Eries, but consents to Atavian's verdict on the potions. She looks out at the river with a furrowed brow. "If I understand correctly," she says, her speech slow, taking the facts, "then you were there when this ship was sunk, when this plague began, if the creature is to be believed. My original purpose here was to assist you in destroying wererat rebels, but this cause cannot be forsworn; it is too important, and I will see it through."

She paces to the very end of the sewer tunnel. "There is no time to waste. We must go at once. Rest is for men in less dire times."
    The wonderful Athena avatar is courtesy of Akrim.elf!

13. - Top - End - #1363

Jensi

"Are we... are we going swimming?" Jensi asks, looking out over the harbour. "I've never swum before, not with my feet going off the ground. I guess it's good that we've got these potions so we don't drown. I think we should go now, right? The sooner we stop the plague the better!"
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

14. - Top - End - #1364
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Although he fully suspects the liquid to allow him to breathe underwater, Atavian is still worried. "Perhaps we should determine how long this effect will last before we take the plunge. I'd hate to learn rather suddenly that we are drowning." He stares at the the vial and shakes it in his hand during a moment of contemplation before saying rather uncharacteristically, "or we could just go for it. Unless the creator of this potion was an idiot is should last for at least ten hours."
    Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2012-06-03 at 10:16 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1365

For a potion of this sort, Atavian knows, it will last for approximately ten hours. More than enough time, even should you take a leisurely pace.

16. - Top - End - #1366
    Troll in the Playground

"Right." Dastan remarks to Eries, "You've kept up your end of the bargain. If the rest of your kind follows your example, perhaps there is yet hope for them. It is always good to see a person rise up against their darker nature." He smiles at her, the first time he's ever displayed anything but distain for one of the wererats, then returns his attention to the sunken ship. "We'd best be at it. I'm a tolerable swimmer, but I may need to leave this plate behind. I don't suppose any of you have a means to hide it while we're down there, do you?" He glances down into the water again, then begins stripping out of his full-plate as quickly as possible (which, admittedly, is still a long and difficult process), eventually leaving himself in a simple padded jerkin and trousers. The Paladin stretches, standing on his toes and craning back his head. "Hmm... As fine as that armour is, I fear it's a bit too constricing and heavy for day-to-day use. Perhaps I should invest in something lighter, for when speed and grace is more called for..."
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

17. - Top - End - #1367
    Troll in the Playground

"Perhaps," Aldrin replies absentmindedly as he looks at the water. "Suppose I might as well wash these clothes off after being in that sewer. Everyone ready?"

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

18. - Top - End - #1368
    Dwarf in the Playground

"Yelloweyes, leave us," Dresane orders of Eries. When the wererat is safely out of hearing range, she whispers to Dastan. "We should not be away long. Cover it with something inconspicuous and leave it. I will do the same with mine. Such armor will not be easy for thieves to sell, and I hope they would not be so foolish as to try and take it."

The hellknight strips off her grey plates methodically. Underneath she, like Dastan, has a padded tunic and simple dark brown pants. "I am ready."

19. - Top - End - #1369
    Troll in the Playground

Rennard checks the straps of the fine mithril chain shirt that the party had obtained from capturing Trinia what seemed like a lifetime ago. Theoretically, the fabled material should be light enough not restrict any of the fencer's movements.

But all theoretical propositions need to be tested

Ready replies the magus to Aldrin's question.

Without another word, the duelist drinks the potion in one gulp and proceeds to dive into the waters. Immediately after checking that he was indeed able to breathed underwater, Rennard proceeds to swim in various styles (showing more technical proficiency than actual swimming experience) that would test his reflexes and the armor's mobility

Satisfied with both, the magus makes a signal to the rest of the group that he is ready to proceed

Spoiler
    Show
    EDIT: Using 1 point of Arcane pool to recover shield. Not sure if the other spells will help as much, so I'll just recover them as we go
    Last edited by Drothmal; 2012-06-04 at 12:05 PM.

My PbP characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Retired Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

gg, N_R

20. - Top - End - #1370

Dastan and Dresane conceal their armour discretely in between a few rocks on the Jeggere's bank, and the party proceeds into the water following Rennard, quaffing their potions.

Spoiler
    Show
    No, I'm not so cruel that I'm going to steal your armour.

The water is cold, but not shockingly so. It clutches at your skin and makes loose clothing and hair billow outwards. The magic contained within the vials draws a curtain of air over your face, allowing safe travel.

The water is penetrated by beams of the late-afternoon sun, which illuminate its dark emptiness, save for a few fish swimming placidly nearby. With armour removed and air guaranteed, the swimming is a simple matter. Pushing forwards and downwards to where Eries suggested the wreck would be, the water becomes cloudier, filled with particles of dirt and sand from the river bottom. And then, after a few minutes of steady swimming through the murky waters, you see it.

The silhouette of a hull lies on its side ahead of you, sitting like a murdered corpse on the river bottom. A protrusion of rock has stabbed through the sunken ship, severing the bow from the rest of the wreck. The mast, as you recall from your last visit to the ship, has crashed through the deck and fallen away, leaving numerous access points to the shattered hull: one, where the bow has been severed from the rest of the ship; one where the the mast has broken a hole in the middle of the deck, and a third where the doors to the captain's cabin have been broken from their hinges by the ship's sinking.

21. - Top - End - #1371
    Troll in the Playground

Not having any data on where to start the investigation, Rennard will try to suggest a systematic sweep of the boat, signaling first the broken bow and then making an upwards spiraling motion with his hand, finishing at the cpatain's cabin

Spoiler
    Show
    No real preference here, just a suggestions to keep things moving

My PbP characters
    Spoiler
    Show

Retired Characters
    Spoiler
    Show

gg, N_R

22. - Top - End - #1372

Jensi

Jensi tiptoes into the water apprehensively, exclaiming "but it's cold" more than a few times. Still, the oracle reconciles himself to the water remarkably quickly, even finding fun in it. Pretty soon, Jensi is splashing about and blowing bubbles as he swims down towards the riverbed. He smiles at Rennard's pantomiming, and nods his head vigorously in agreement.
    LGBTitP

Amazing avatar by Ceika!

23. - Top - End - #1373
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Tallox swims powerfully and quickly, while the small, weak, lightly armored Atavian struggles to keep up with the group. Atavian nods in agreement and give a shoves to Tallox (on whom the subtleties of hand motions are often lost) in the direction of bow.

Realizing communicating this way is a bit difficult, he places a small piece of copper wire in his mouth, points at his six allies, removes the wire and asks, "can everyone hear me? ... good. Speak and I'll relay your message for the group."

Spoiler
    Show
    Casts message.
    You can whisper to reply to Atavian.
    Unless the DM objects, assume he repeats everything you say for the group.

24. - Top - End - #1374

The party swims towards the wreck. Coming alongside the hull, you can see that the vessel bears an ominous moniker along its scarred hull: The Direption. The hole leading into the ship's interior is jagged, and beginning to become encrusted with grime. Half-swimming, half-climbing inside one after another, you enter the ship's ravaged hull near its bow. It is nearly pitch black inside, but magical light from the party's spellcasters quickly remedies this, casting the Direption's hold in a glowing light.

From bow to stern, the lower deck of the ship appears to be one long hold, cluttered with debris, with ropes and tackles waving idly in the water like seaweed. A few small bottom-feeders swim eerily through the darkened ship.

In one corner of the overturned hold, a few strange boxes have gathered. Each is small, too small for regular cargo, more a small chest than a crate. Each has been hammered from blackened metal, and each is marked by a single skull near the latch that would open it.

Spoiler
    Show
    Talk normally. Assume Atavian receives and broadcasts what you say.

25. - Top - End - #1375
    Troll in the Playground

Aldirn narrows his eyes when he sees the crates, clearly the most suspicious remains of the ship. He casts a simple spell, attempting to open one of the crates from a distance.

Spoiler
    Show
    Using Mage Hand.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

26. - Top - End - #1376
    Dwarf in the Playground

Dresane is just as suspicious as Aldrin of the strange box with its skull pattern. She uses her own spell on it when Aldrin casts his mage hand to open it. Let us see if it as harmless as it appears.

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting detect magic, then detect poison.

27. - Top - End - #1377

Aldrin's ghostly mage hand floats through the wreck's murky waters towards one of the chests. Silvery fingers flex and wrap around are cask's top and pulls it open. The chest, unbalanced as its lid is moved, topples over, spilling out its contents: a solitary rat, long dead and covered in blisters, and a load of silver coins.

Dresane assesses the situation with her magic. She can find no poison, but the chest itself radiates a faint magical aura.

28. - Top - End - #1378
    Troll in the Playground

"Didn't the Priestess of Sarenrae say this plague affected the downtrodden moreso than other individuals? You don't think some of these coins washed up, and found themselves in the hands of the people most likely to excitedly grab onto a handful of silvers, do you?"

Aldrin quickly scans the ship to see if there are any empty crates in the area.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

29. - Top - End - #1379
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Atavian regurgitates Aldrins comment then immediately gives a response, "plague always affects the downtrodden more. Part of the joy of living on the street... But you might be right, if it takes, infected money is probably the fastest way to spread an illness. Tallox, do you see anything interesting."

The beyond had never really been underwater before. He had swam, but this... this was surreal. Atavian's request snaps him from his trance and his orange orbs survey the scene.

Spoiler
    Show
    Perception: (1d20+8)[25], Darkvision
    Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2012-06-04 at 08:46 PM.

30. - Top - End - #1380

Tallox's keen beyonder's senses cannot find anything out of place, but, now that he knows what to look for amidst the debris scattered outside of the Direption's hull along the riverbed, he can see several similar boxes. Clearly many more such boxes were jettisoned before or during the ship's sinking.