New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 54 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: (Pathfinder) The Curse of the Crimson Throne IC

Rennard

The fencer at first is taken aback by Tallox's interruption, but before the fencer gets a chance to say anything, the blade his holding (the third one so far) breaks. This pause gives Rennard enough time to see Atavian's spell and Tallox's lockpicking. Returning to his usual composed demeanor, the duelist waits until the strongbox is opened and quickly examines its contents

When he sees the rapier with the black scabbard, all sounds seem to fade from the room. Before Kalinda even gets a chance to open her bag, Rennard's hand reaches for the weapon and retrieves it with a careful, reverent motion

In a trance, the fencer lifts the sword to eye level and, holding the scabbard in his left hand and the pommel in his right, he slowly unsheathes the blade

Rêve, I have finally found you

Rennard unsheathes a weapon of the finest craftsmanship, whose blade is dark as a moonless night. Simple yet elegant, the sharp rapier fits perfectly in the duelist's grasp

After examining the blade, and carefully dropping the scabbard to the side, the fencer starts a complex routine of stabs and slashes that he has mastered over years of practice. On the last lunge of the routine, you see the blade being enveloped by the same energies that broke the other blades.

But something is different this time: The blade seems to blend with the energies, giving the faint silver light a darker hue. Rennard holds the rapier vertically in front of him, his eyes focused on the blade. The duelist knows that his power only lasts for a minute, but the wait seems to him like hours, if not days.

Suddenly, as swiftly as the energies enveloped the sword, they dissipate, leaving the blade intact. You can hear a very small sight of relief coming from Rennard

Finally out of his trance, Rennard brings his attention back to his companions

Gaedren took this blade from me ten years ago, I'm claiming it back his voice has returned to his usual detached tone, but you can perceive a hint of pride in the fencer's posture

That was only the first step the fencer reminds himself

Addressing Atavian, Rennard asks Excuse me, but you said something about the Queen? You mean the broach belongs to Queen Ileosa?

Spoiler
    Show
    Actions
    Spend one point of the Arcane pool to test the blade
    Arcane Pool = 3/7
    Last edited by Drothmal; 2011-07-08 at 01:25 PM.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

"Yeah... I've seen it on her once. I... heard it was a wedding present or something from Eodred," Atavian sighed with relief, clearly, the presence of Tallox was no longer the most pressing - or interesting - issue at hand.

Atavian looked at the head... "okay, so... Zellara is apparently dead... she's been dead... we were talking to a ghost earlier... we were sent here... by a ghost." Atavian breathes deeply as he tries to process the information. After a few seconds he continues, "okay... you know, I think... I think - I think I can accept that," a deep sigh and another long pause, "but why did Lamm keep her head in a box?"
    Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2011-07-08 at 05:33 PM.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Bugbear in the Playground

Aldrin moves Zellara's head aside. Underneath is a small item - a set of Harrow cards, only mildly bloodstained. It is the source of the magical emanations. As the sorcerer sets eyes upon it, the room darkens, then is suddenly lit by a pale blue light, as Zellara - or rather, a pale and ghostly Zellara - appears from the cards.

"Gaedren Lamm is dead," the spectre says calmly. "His dying has avenged many... Including myself!" she adds with a sharp laugh. "But..."

Her gaze shifts, as though she is looking through the rotting walls of the fishery, back towards the heart of the city. "Gaedren Lamm's death was not the only one in this instant... No, there was another..." She rubs her bony, incorporeal hands together. "And if you thought you'd been after a big fish... Well, how wrong you were!"

Zellara sinks into cryptic cackles, which are drowned out by the rising noise of tolling bells...

4. - Top - End - #154
    Troll in the Playground

Wait! What has happened? Rennard speaks loudly, trying to be heard over the tolls

Is this related to her earlier prediciton? Rennard cannot stop hearing the last words Zellara spoke during her reading of the cards, upon revealing the card of the Courtesan

"This is the future. She is a woman of great power, who will shape the events to come." had spoken the witch. And they had just found the queen's brooch...

This is not good

The fencer continues addressing the ghost You helped us once and we helped you! Tell us what you know!
    Last edited by Drothmal; 2011-07-08 at 07:11 PM.

5. - Top - End - #155

"Ha! I know little more than you! I simply know to look out the window! Or through the wall... No matter..."

Zellara smiles a toothless grin. "Take my cards, and I shall aid you when I can. For now, beware the simple answer. Were things always as they seemed, would any of us be here?"

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

"beware the simple answer" Does that include hers? Rennard thinks to himself. But, without Zellara, he could not have recovered Rêve. She had earned his trust

Thank you Zellara. You have my gratitude. the fencer says to the ghost.

Facing the others, Rennard asks the question in everyone's mind

What do we do now? We are finished with the purpose that bound us together. However, I myself do not feel this task accomplished yet.

The duelist pauses and takes a slow breath, not knowing what will everyone's response to his following statement be I'd like to right some of Lamns wrongs, starting by the boy that was taken prisoner and finding more about this broach. Besides, I get the feeling that there might be some connection between Lamn and this commotion

7. - Top - End - #157
    Troll in the Playground

Aldrin stared at Rennard a bit incredulously. "You want to do what? We've got broach belonging to a queen, and the first thing you want to do is help some boy? I mean, sure, it is obvious that Lamm must be connected, but let's not start with the small stuff here. We don't have a lifetime to sort through all of his misdeads."

Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Tarok and Kamo, level 6 half-orc ranger, bunyip-slayer, and all around badass.

I like half-orcs

Retired:

Aldrin Cress, level 10 human sorcerer. Hero of Korvosa.
    Tireas Slate, level 4 tiefling ninja. Eternally scheming.

DMing: Dragon's Demand

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Atavian was adjusting to the ghost idea rather well, but he was certainly uneasy. "Zellara... why does... did Lamm keep your head... in... in a box? What should we... what would you like for us to do with it?"

He turns to Rennard, "you are right, Rennard. We should investigate the bells - that typically happens on important occasions. That might be immediately important as I hadn't heard that any ceremonies or anything should be happening tonight."
    Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2011-07-08 at 07:56 PM.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Barbarian in the Playground

Jensi

Jensi tries not to watch as Aldrin lifts Zellara's severed head gingerly from the hatbox, but it's strangely compelling. Wiping the tears from his eyes, he returns to the sorcerer's side. He quietly recites a brief prayer for Zellara. "Eternal Rose embrace you," he says, reaching out a trembling hand to touch the withered head. He gently closes the old woman's open eyes.

Then, as he turns, the ghostly form of Zellara appears in the room. Jensi stumbles backwards at the startling sight, tripping over his own feet and falling to the floor. His eyes remain fixed on the spectre, wide as a child's. At once impressed and alarmed by Rennard's easy rapport with the spirit, Jensi feels his curiosity start to bubble up.

"You want us to take your cards? Will that make you better? How will you help us if you're, um... dead?" He looks at his other companions. "I think we should help the orphans, if we can. They've suffered more than we have."
    Last edited by RocketMan; 2011-07-08 at 08:17 PM.

10. - Top - End - #160

"I might not be a sprightly young thing like you, Jensi Jiri, but I know a few tricks, even dead! And I'm curious about you all... fate swirls around you, but it hasn't yet decided what to do with you... So Zellara will come along for the ride, and see where the winds blow you."

She looks to Atavian. "As for my head... Gaedren Lamm thought it would stop my vengeful ghost from seeking him out... He was right." She looks down at Gaedren's severed head. "Not that it did him much good, hah!"

11. - Top - End - #161
    Troll in the Playground

Dastan takes some time to formulate a proper response, busy as he is attempting to pay attention to two seperate conversations and commend Zellara's soul to the Gods. He is initially as shocked as anyone to discover the old woman's death, but he quickly comes to terms with the fact that she has guided them from beyond death and whispers a quick prayer of thanks to Iomedae for guiding the restless spirit to him. Finally he speaks up, his voice firm, "We help the children first. The Queen has many baubles, and can wait a few more hours for this one. Those orphans have only one life to live." This said, he looks at Zellara's spirit with an expression bordering on awe. "I must thank you for your guidance so far, Zellara, even more for knowing what you have sacrificed to bring us here. Do you know where your body rests, that we may return this horrid... Trophy of Lamm's to its proper resting place?" Finally, he addresses Jensi. "You say that these bells toll only for events of great importance, and Zellara informs us of the death of someone important. For whose passing would they make use of the bells?"
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Troll in the Playground

We help the children first. The Queen has many baubles, and can wait a few more hours for this one
    Rennard thinks for a few moments and proposes an idea to solve the problem

I have an acquaintance in this district, he might be able to allocate some of the orphans, if I were to ask him. looking at the gold ingot and other loot, the fencer adds Whatever my cut is, I'll use it to make this happen

That only leaves finding out about the kid that the mercenaries were holding hostage. If he has nowhere to go to, I'll talk to V.... my acquaintance, about him.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Troll in the Playground

"For whose passing would they make use of the bells?"

"Not for an orphan, that's for sure. Look, I sympathise with them, but we've got bigger concerns. If you want to help them, be quick about it."

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

14. - Top - End - #164

Zellara laughs again at Dastan's question. "My body? Ha! People do go on about the bodies, don't they? Turns out, such things aren't terribly important to the dead! Besides, it's fish food by now." She pauses, then says for effect, "don't have any fish for a week, or you'll be eating little bits of Zellara, and she isn't very tasty!"

Zellara's ghost begins to grow faint, her form flickering like a wind-buffeted candle. "Remember the cards," she crows, as she fades away.

Meanwhile, outside the fishery, yelling and chanting can be heard, though you cannot make out any words.

15. - Top - End - #165
    Troll in the Playground

We should be on our way. Rennard says while sheathing the sword once again and strapping it to his side. The fencer will start heading out the room, unless someone has anything left to say.

Once the party finds the orphans and the hostage, Rennard will try talking to them

16. - Top - End - #166

You make your way back out of Gaedren's lair. Gathered far from the pier is the group of grubby children, casting wild looks around at the shouts ringing through the air. One of them takes a careful step towards you: he is the largest, scruffiest, and, presumably, oldest of the lot. His hair sticks out in greasy shocks, and his face is black with dirt. He folds his arms across his chest, doing a good imitation of one of Gaedren's thugs. "Oi, you lot! I dunno whot ya think your doin' 'ere, but this is our 'ome now! Clear off!" What follows is a string of some of the foulest obscenities ever uttered, first from the ringleader, but then taken up by the whole crowd of jeering children.

17. - Top - End - #167

Jensi

Jensi picks up Zellara's deck of cards and hurries out of the fishery.

"Don't you want to have a real home?" Jensi asks, unable to understand why the orphans would want to stay in the rotting fishery. "You could go to an orphanage, or see if you have family left," Jensi proposes rather optimistically. "If you're really, really sure you want to stay here we'll come to see you." He smiles sweetly at the orphans.
    Last edited by RocketMan; 2011-08-14 at 07:02 PM.

18. - Top - End - #168

The biggest orphan grunts. "Real 'ome? Bugger that! Don' want one, don' need one! You wanna 'elp, could use some gold, but grown ups don' 'elp!"

The other children pipe in, a cacophony of high-pitched voices. "Git out! Git out!"

19. - Top - End - #169
    Troll in the Playground

Rennard advances to the leader of the orphans and stares him right into the eyes. He speaks to him in a slow, detached voice, as he was explaining a particular parry and the appropriate countermeasure instead of describing the boy's future

The way I see it, you have two options. You can stay here in this rotten place and wait until the next Gaedren Lamn shows up and you are once again working for your lives while being little more than slaves.

On the other hand, you can see if the people that have just killed that monster, while bringing you no harm in the process, can make good on their words. You don't have to trust us, you just have to see if our offer is better. If it is not, you can come back here.

I can promise that I'll do all I can to set you and your friends in a better place than where you are. But you have to come with us.

The fencer then looks past the leader and adresses all the children

We don't have time to spare. Come with us or stay, but make a choice. And remember that this is your first choice as free individuals, so make it count. You have one minute to discuss among yourselves. After that, we are leaving.

After a minute, Rennard will start walking towards the shaft that leads to the upper level

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

Aldrin was a bit confused why Jensi cared about getting the children somewhere else. After all, if they wanted to stay here why stop them? But as Rennard steps in to address them, Aldrin manages a smile, and puts his hand on Rennard's shoulder stating, "Well, that's an excellent way to handle the situation. Except the one minute part, anyway; I think I'll be leaving now. Don't take too long, now."

He sets off for the lift, waiting for anyone else who is ready to get off.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

21. - Top - End - #171
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Atavian sees no value in helping the orphans - it's not as if they even want help. He says nothing and walks onto the lift with Aldrin. Tallox grins menacingly at them before joining Atavian. Unlike Atavian, these little mortals seem obstinate and irritating. Why the others fawn over their insolence is beyond him. They should probably be killed, but Atavian wouldn't approve of that.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Troll in the Playground

As the halfling and outsider get on the lift, Aldrin attempts to get Tallox's attention. It's not every day you meet a mysterious being of frightening power bound to a halfling, and he would certainly be an asset in their future encounters.

"So, Tallox, we haven't been properly introduced. My name is Aldrin Cress, but you're free to call me "mortal" if you wish; I don't mind. I was just wondering what exactly you are. I've, ah, had dealings with immortals before, and I was curious what type you belonged to. Do you have a plane of origin?"

Aldrin has no idea why Atavian is so reluctant to speak of Tallox. He seems like a useful ally to have; especially if you can call him whenever you like.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

23. - Top - End - #173

The oldest orphan glares at Rennard, a scowl crossing his face as he receives the ultimatum. He turns his back to the party, entering into a close huddle with the other grubby children. Even over the sounds of shouts, which seem to have grown louder, you can hear them whispering.

Finally, the de facto leader turns around again. "Look, if you wanna 'elp, fine, we're okay with that. But we ain't goin' nowhere now. You wanna help? Put yer money where yer mouths is... We're gonna wait here, so you come on back if you find any work for us... Till then, yer jus' words."

24. - Top - End - #174
    Troll in the Playground

Dastan remembers Rennard's offer, and lets him have his say before speaking up himself, his voice soft and kind. "What will you do if you remain here? Pick pockets, scrounge and steal?" He shakes his head. "All that lies down that path is misery, pain and death. Why would you seek a life such as that? Would you not prefer a proper job, a real home? Rennard isn't doing anything for himself, he has nothing to gain from this, and neither do I. All we want is what benefits you." He gestures towards the lift.

Spoiler
    Show

Making a Diplomacy check to convince the children to trust us.
    (1d20+9)[12]

25. - Top - End - #175

"Look, ogrebrains, we're here 'cause nobody nowhere wants us for nothin'. If there was work, course we'd do it, but there ain't. So we'll do what we gotta do t' get by." The other orphans vociferously in agreement, little voices clamouring to add on their own two coppers.

"Yeah, there ain't none! There ain't!"

"Real homes for them whots got coin!"

"We're not helpless! I'm tough like a troll!"

26. - Top - End - #176

Jensi

"Okay," Jensi says, smiling at the orphans. "If you're sure it's what you want. We'll come visit you sometimes!" He turns and takes two steps towards the lift, his brow scrunched as he tries hard to remember what the clan elders would always say to children. "Oh, oh, make sure to be safe!" he says, with much more enthusiasm than the sobering message warrants. With that, the youth joins the others on the lift, waving cheerily at the orphans as he does so.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Tallox looks skeptically at the mortal who seems to want to know about his world for a moment, then he tells the short version of the story:

"Before the spire rose in the Outlands long before most of your mortal gods existed, my people resided in the center of the Outlands. When the spire appeared, our kingdom was folded into a demiplane. We've been there ever since. It is a very boring place... Not quite as tedious as this orphan nonsense, of course."

Spoiler
    Show
    I presume there is no grand design essential to the plot that will be foiled by this mild addition to the cosmos.
    Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2011-07-10 at 11:20 PM.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Troll in the Playground

Very well then. I will return if I can, but I make no promises, for you have made your choice

Rennard fishes into his pouch and takes out five gold coins, one per orphan. The fencer leaves the coins on the floor and walks towards the lift without any further words.

Spoiler
    Show
    If Aldrin and Atavian have left in the lift, Rennard will wait until it is available again. If it is still there, he will just jump on without further comment

29. - Top - End - #179

The lift slowly ascends the fishery, its clanking drowning out some of the noise. It affords a good view out over the water, where you can see flights of Sable Company marines, mounted on gryphons, racing back towards the city at full speed.

As you leave the fishery, the noises rise to a crescendo or screams, shouts, and bells; you can see why for the first time.

Where there had been a festival when you had entered, there is now a burning, rioting city. Every door is shut and barred, but still there are several looters who run up and down the street, only to be chased away by a trio of weary looking guards.

Through the air, you hear a shout: "The King is dead! Long live the Queen!"

30. - Top - End - #180
    Troll in the Playground

Dastan's voice is sad as he replies to the orphans, "Very well, I won't force you to come. May Iomedae watch over you." He returns to the lift and rides it up with the others, much less satisfied with himself by now.

When he sees the chaos in the streets, Dastan scowls. "Iomedae preserve. How quickly these people turn from jubilation to rage... I suppose they would ring the bells for the passing of the King, wouldn't they?" He looks out over the devestation, wondering whether he'll be able to help calm the chaos, then seems to think of something and quickly darts back to the alley where he hid his backpack, retrieves it and returns to the group.