New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 54 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: (Pathfinder) The Curse of the Crimson Throne IC

When they approach the oddly-named Butcher's shop, Aldrin thinks for a moment on how they should proceed.

The best course of action would probably be to act like... oh, it seems Rennard has plan.

As Rennard goes through the plan, Aldrin's face is once again grinning. "Just what I was going to say. And considering I know what it's like to be a beggar, this should be a piece of cake... or meat rather? I don't know. Here, take my dagger - that will probabaly look suspicious." As he reaches into a fold in his clothes to retrieve the weapon, he adds, "And I'm not that young... we're probably about the same age."

When properly disarmed, Aldrin turns to Jensi and Atavian and states, "Ready when you are."

Spoiler: Characters
    Show
    Tarok and Kamo, level 6 half-orc ranger, bunyip-slayer, and all around badass.

I like half-orcs

Retired:

Aldrin Cress, level 10 human sorcerer. Hero of Korvosa.
    Tireas Slate, level 4 tiefling ninja. Eternally scheming.

DMing: Dragon's Demand

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

"Beggar is about right. I haven't had a bath in over a week, so I should fit the bill. Alright, Tallox, I'm sending you home. When you return, please bring the cloak and mask!" To the others he added, "take my bow. It won't do any good, but I'll hold on to my sickle. I think faking being a human child has more risk, so I'll just be a halfling." He looks at the studded leather armor on his chest, "what about this armor? I've had it for a long time, but is it not fitting a beggar?"

"Call me when you need me," Tallox says flatly before vanishing in a puff of sparse smoke.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blisstake View Post
    As he reaches into a fold in his clothes to retrieve the weapon, he adds, "And I'm not that young... we're probably about the same age."
    Rennard stretches a hand to receive Aldrin's weapon.

You are right, my apologies the fencer replies I'm usually told by my... acquaintances... that I often do not reflect my age in my behaviour... otherwise I would have volunteered to accompany you Rennard knew that all his age-mates in the Orisini Academy considered him cold and detached, usually attributing him more years than his twenty-one winters. He was... pleasantly surprised that Aldrin could recognize the difference between age and experience

In fact, a lot of them seem to have led difficult lives the duelist reflects, feeling a stronger kinship to these strangers he had met barely hours ago than to everyone in the Academy save the Maestro

Quote Originally Posted by SanguinePenguin View Post
    [COLOR="Green"]"take my bow. It won't do any good, but I'll hold on to my sickle. I think faking being a human child has more risk, so I'll just be a halfling." He looks at the studded leather armor on his chest, "what about this armor? I've had it for a long time, but is it not fitting a beggar?"
    The fencer also offers to carry the bow

I think you might be able to hide the armor, but the sickle might be too much of a risk Rennard answers honestly, knowing that he was asking his new companions to walk unarmed to a much stronger and numerous force. He still did not like the plan, but the other's agreement was proof that others also saw it as the best option

4. - Top - End - #214
    Barbarian in the Playground

Jensi

Jensi likewise passes his crossbow and dagger to his companions. He's a bit surprised to find that he feels no more vulnerable without them. In a strange way, he feels safer, as if he could just pretend to be an ordinary boy again rather than... well, than whatever he was supposed to be now. A hero?

"I'm ready," Jensi says breathlessly, voice full of optimism, sounding entirely unprepared to act the part of a downtrodden beggar. "Actually, hold on," he says, suddenly bending down before returning to his normal height with a handful of mud clutched in his hand. Smearing it over his pale skin and through his curling hair, he giggles. "You're all too clean!" He reaches out his dirty hands, playfully muddying Aldrin's face. Next is Atavian's turn.

Spoiler
    Show
    I don't know if Disguise checks are in order, but if they are I assume that you'd want to roll those secretly. The rules for Disguise are unclear on whether you can use the skill to make a disguise for somebody else - I had always assumed you could when you're making the disguise. If it's possible to do this Jensi will roll the check for the others, since he's got the highest charisma and nobody has the skill trained.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Troll in the Playground

Aldrin wipes some of the mud off of his face, making sure none gets in his mouth, and laughs at Jensi, "I thought I was dirty enough, but thanks for making sure. Now remember, we are beggars. We are not working for Kroft. We should get going... these riots aren't going anywhere on their own."

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

6. - Top - End - #216
    Bugbear in the Playground

The "beggars" walk towards All the World's Meat, leaving their companions safely hidden. As they draw near, the men in the window turn to glare out, and fingers are pointed in your direction. Finally, when it is clear that the butcher's is your destination, the door swings open enough to let one burly man with a knife-made scar running down the left side of his face step out. He rests one hand on the pommel of his sword, and the other is planted on his hip, blocking the doorway. "You lot, beggars! Clear off! We're not a charity!" he shouts. A brief sideward glance follows, then he speaks again. "Well we are, but we're not in business right now! Now off with you!"

Atavian and Aldrin
    Spoiler
    Show
    The man does not want to let you inside the building, and he is not giving his real reason for not letting you in.
    Last edited by Leviathan; 2011-07-17 at 09:07 PM.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Atavian had walked the streets for several weeks. He may have been educated, but he knew how the folk down on their luck spoke. "Gawww, hells! I been lookin' for a scrap to eat. Friend told us you's got handouts; told us you's been real kind. I ain't eaten nuttin' all day. Help a poor feller out! I can go grab sumptin' myself if you ain't got time." He wasn't sure how it would lead to putting them inside, but he hoped to at least keep the interaction going.

Spoiler
    Show
    Bluff: (1d20+4)[12]
    Diplomacy: (1d20+4)[15]
    Sense Motive: (1d20)[3]
    Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2011-07-18 at 01:05 AM.

8. - Top - End - #218

The man sighs, then shoots a look back inside the door. Another of the former guardsmen tosses him a rancid-looking piece of meat. The one at the door throws it to you. "You got what you came for; now clear off!" He slams the door shut.

Inside, you notice that the men turn back towards something, gathering together. One of them makes a sawing motion with his hand.
    Last edited by Leviathan; 2011-07-18 at 04:19 PM.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Atavian grabs the rather foul piece of meat. "None fresher?" he asks idly as the door slams. Once they are clear of the door he whispers, "they are hiding something... definitely. We already knew that though. Looks like they might be building something too. Regroup?" he asks, still holding the rotten meat, hoping someone has a better idea.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Troll in the Playground

Aldrin puts his hand to his chin, and then after a moment of contemplation, curses.

"This would be much easier if I still had my magic. Perhaps we should try again tomorrow? I'd rather take the subtle approach than have our more robust members go charging in."

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Atavian's face contorts in a scowl. He dislikes the prospect of walking away from this, so he replies, "eh, we should see what the others have to add before we call it quits. Tomorrow they might not be doing what they are doing now."

With the rotten meat still in hand, he heads back to the others. Once there, he finally discards it. As he begins detailing what transpired, he removes his waterskin and washes off some of the slime. "Well, they are definitely up to something. They really wanted us gone. It is not entirely clear what they are hiding, though. I thought I could see a sawing motion, possibly building something. We need to investigate further. I can try climb to the roof with Tallox, see if I can see much."

12. - Top - End - #222
    Troll in the Playground

Dastan frowns, looking at the building. "Clearly, these men haven't deserted out of concern for the poor... I think I should approach them, give them a chance to explain themselves before we take any drastic actions. All this deception doesn't sit well with me..." With that, the Paladin undoes the clasps on his scabbard and hands it to Rennard. "Please, hold on to this. I will see what they have to say." With that, he begins walking in the direction of the butcher's shop.

Spoiler
    Show

Unless anyone stops him, Dastan will head straight for the butcher's shop to talk with the deserters.
    Avatar by the wonderful SubLimePie. Former avatar by Andraste.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

"Wait! Dastan! Give me a few minutes to get on the roof at least. That way, if something goes awry, I'll be near," Atavian requests.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Troll in the Playground

Dastan turns back. "Ah, yes. I suppose that would be prudent, wouldn't it. Go ahead, then, Atavian. I can wait for a few minutes while you climb into position." He stands back, waiting for Atavian.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

"Thanks," Atavian mutters. What is wrong with this guy... he thinks as he moves through the streets to get behind the building. Once alone, he summons Tallox. He quickly fills him in on the situation. The two men approach the back of the building and search for the easiest point to ascend. All the while, they move as quietly as they can. Once they find a nice place to try, Atavian bestows a minor blessing on Tallox, climbs onto the beyonders back and allows Tallox to climb the wall.

Spoiler
    Show
    Stealth Atavian: (1d20+5)[19]
    Stealth Tallox: (1d20+5)[23]
    Tallox climb: (1d20+5)[10] +1 for guidance (climb attempt 2 = 23 in OOC)
    Atavian Perception: (1d20+0)[8]
    Tallox Perception: (1d20+5)[14]
    Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2011-07-19 at 10:14 PM.

16. - Top - End - #226

Atavian and his eidolon are both able to approach the butcher's shop silently, and the men inside obliviously continue their work.

A pile of crates stacked messily against the side of the shop provides the easiest route to the roof, and, though it takes the beyonder a few moments to get a solid grip on the brick wall, Tallox is able to scrabble up to the top.

The roof is flat, and little more than a continuation of the walls. There is a low ledge around the outside, and what appears to be a hole in the ceiling. Closer inspection reveals this to be a skylight, looking down on a floor of mud and filthy hay, lined by empty pens. A ladder leads down from the skylight to the floor below.

Down on the ground, those of you looking into the storefront of All the World's Meat can see that the men have turned their backs to you. The sawing motion stops, and something is carried away. All the men save one exit through a door at the back of the shop, and can no longer be seen. The single remaining deserter sits at the counter, bored and exhausted.
    Last edited by Leviathan; 2011-07-20 at 04:32 PM.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Troll in the Playground

Seeing the other men exit, Rennard starts to worry that the window of opportunity is closing upon the party.

They are moving, we have no more time to waste. We need to get inside that building to asses the situation and decide if we should pursue those men

The fencer states matter of factly. Addressing each of his companions in turn, the fencer proposes a more risky plan

Aldrin, can you provide cover with your Daze spell? Dastan and I will get as close as possible and take down the guard. Kalinda, be prepared to fire it he tries to resist. Jensi, try to signal to Atavian that we are going in, to send Tallox to our aid if he can

Spoiler
    Show
    If no one opposes, Rennard will try to get as close as possible and then charge at the guard, trying to deal non-lethal damage

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm sorry. I appear to have lost another post. Not sure why...

Atavian puts the piece of copper wire in his mouth. Points to Dastan and Rennard. His words mumbled through clenched teeth finalize the spell.

"Dastan, Rennard..." the halfling's voice echoes in their heads, "this is Atavian. There is sky light up here. Tallox and I are going to check out the inside. Dastan, if you intend to knock, now might be a good time so we can get in against your distraction. Whisper back to speak with me."

Spoiler
    Show
    Casting message. You can both reply to Atavian.
    Last edited by SanguinePenguin; 2011-07-20 at 06:47 PM.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Sorry didn't mean to steal your thunder

Perfect timing Atavian Rennard responds to the magical communication. In his usual pragmatic tone, he brings the summoner up to speed Some of the guards just left and they are carrying something. We are going in. Tell Tallox to be ready to fight. Please be on the lookout for the guards that left. We might need to pursue

Rennard briefly communicates the situation to the rest of the party. Then, looking at the paladin, the duelist adds Ready? We can charge on your signal

20. - Top - End - #230
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

"Tallox, go down the ladder when they knock." Atavian whispered. He moved to the back side of the roof, to see if can see any guards leaving.

Tallox was bored and didn't feel like waiting. He climbed down the ladder quietly. He looked around to see if there was anything interesting. He listened for voices, sounds... anything.

Spoiler
    Show
    Stealth:(1d20+5)[13]
    Perception:(1d20+5)[16]

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

"All ready here." Aldrin simply responds, preapring a simple dazing spell.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

22. - Top - End - #232

Rennard, Dastan, Kalinda, Aldrin, and Jensi run towards the door. The solitary guard does not notice until mere moments before you burst inside. His eyes widen as he spots the armed assailants. You find that the wooden door is unlocked, and swings open easily, the hinges squealing loudly.

The guard has unsheathed his sword holding his ground behind the countertop, but, from the fear apparent on his face, he does not think his odds against five enemies are very good.

Round 1...

Spoiler
    Show
    You've won initiative; go ahead and act. Since there's just one enemy, I'm not going to make a map.

Atavian
    Spoiler
    Show
    Climbing down the ladder, you find yourself ankle deep in muck. By the looks and smell of the place, this is where livestock is taken before slaughtering. Two large pens with feeding troughs stand to the east. A set of double doors lies to the south; these are closed, and made of solid wood. The room is quite empty, except for a few flies buzz around stale dung.
    Last edited by Leviathan; 2011-07-20 at 09:49 PM.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Troll in the Playground

"Hopefully we can do this without too much noise... Altuz!"

Aldrin releases the spell, causing a colorful flash of light to burst in front of the lone man, hopefully dazing him so the group's more capable members can disable him for good.

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

24. - Top - End - #234

Jensi

Rushing inside, Jensi feels a pang of sympathy for the lone ex-guard. After all, what did anyone know of him? He had left the Citadel to hand out food to beggars - it didn't exactly strike Jensi as sinister.

"Try not to hurt him," the youth encourages. "Cressida did say to try and make them surrender."

Spoiler
    Show
    Guidance on Rennard, +1 to attack.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Troll in the Playground

Dastan keeps his blade sheathed, though he wears his shield. He immediately adresses the guard as he enters the room. "You have one chance, friend. Tell us what you and your companions are doing here and why you have deserted the Guard, or the consequences will be severe." He does his best to make the demand sound reasonable, though his golden eyes promise that he will make good on the threat if he needs to.

Spoiler
    Show

Diplomacy, attempting to convince the guard to answer my questions: (1d20+10)[30]

26. - Top - End - #236

The lone deserter holds out his blade, pointing it towards you. After Dastan speaks, he groans. "Hells! The guard isn't what you'd think! Rules, rules, rules, and nothing but! That's why they sent you after us - but we want to help the city! Kroft just wants to kill anyone who opposes the Queen!"

Rennard, Dastan, Atavian, Kalinda, and Aldrin
    Spoiler
    Show
    The man is shaking wildly, and speaking loudly. He is clearly scared, but he is still acting rationally. His eyes dart from side to side as he speaks, and it seems he is lying badly.

27. - Top - End - #237

Jensi

"See," Jensi says, relieved and completely credulous. "See, they're not bad after all. They want to help too! But," he continues, a new look of puzzlement dawning on his face, "we're supposed to bring them back, right?" He doesn't know what to do, so settles on biting his lip and staring intently at the rogue guard.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Troll in the Playground

Aldrin looks at Jensi with a raised eyebrow, "No, Jensi, they are the bad guys. He seems to just be angry at Kroft for wanting a shred of competence among her guards. And yes," he continues, turning his gaze to the guard, "I would expect there to be plenty of rules with managing the guards. They need restrictions in order to perform optimally, which is especially relevant with the city in crisis... your defiance is making life worse for everyone in the city. It's despicable."

He continues to stare at the guard with his eyes narrowed, and considers that killing the man would actually be a personal favor to Kroft. But it's her decision, I suppose. It would be a bit hypocritical for me to condemn him for defiance, then disobey an order myself..."

"Were I the Field Marshal, you would be executed without hesitation."

Show

I like half-orcs

Retired:

29. - Top - End - #239

After Aldrin and Jensi speak, the door on the far side of the shop through which the other deserters exited opens, slamming against the wall. A burly man with a scarred face and short-cropped hair charges forwards, a blade in his hand and chain armour covering his body. "Get them!" he roars. Behind him, two men raise crossbows.

Round 1

Spoiler
    Show
    You've won initiative again!

Map
    Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Leviathan; 2011-07-21 at 10:23 PM.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Troll in the Playground

Dastan doesn't flinch as the deserter's comrades burst through the door. "Your words ring false, deserter." He draws his longsword, the worn blade dully reflecting the light as he settles into a fighting stance and stalks slowly towards the ex-guards. "And now the rest arrive, seeking violence. Fine!" He strikes against the newly arrived leader with the pommel of his blade, hoping to batter him into submission without risking killing him, at least for the moment.
    Spoiler
    Show

Move to the square beside D2 and make a Standard attack against him, trying to deal nonlethal damage.
    Attack: (1d20+1)[13]
    Damage: (1d8+3)[7]

Summary:
    HP: 20/20
    AC: 18, Touch 10, FF 18
    Saves: Fort +8, Ref +3, Will +9