New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 54 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Dragon Age II, Part 2: The Qun is pretty deep, you wouldn't understand it.

The Warrior set has its merits, yes but DAMMIT I WANNA LOOK LIKE KING ARTHUR, NOT THE DARK LORD SAURON!
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

2. - Top - End - #272
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: Dragon Age II, Part 2: The Qun is pretty deep, you wouldn't understand it.

I like spikes.

But there's one way to settle this debate: armor should be eliminated, and Hawke should just strip to the waist and substitute oil for armor. If for any reason his skin stops glistening, he takes an immediate penalty to his armor score.

No, wait, I'm thinking of Fenris. Or maybe Roy.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2011-10-14 at 02:15 AM.
    A father taken by time, a brother dead by my own hand.
    With this work behold my grief, in Stone and shifting sand.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Barbarian in the Playground

So, do we know how much more DLC is planned? Or is it in a 'until they stop releasing it' type thing?

4. - Top - End - #274
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Tono View Post
    So, do we know how much more DLC is planned? Or is it in a 'until they stop releasing it' type thing?
    An observant fellow on the BSN noted that each of the "statues" that mark the beginning of these DLC quests are placed on top of mats in Gamlen's house during Act 1. Two of those mats are now used up and two remain empty. Going by that, the popular theory is that there are at least two more pieces of DLC still to be released.

Based on some hints from the devs, everyone's best guess is that the next DLC will have something to do with a town called Wildervale.

All this is conjecture and speculation, however.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2011-10-14 at 04:29 AM.

5. - Top - End - #275
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Archpaladin Zousha View Post
    The Warrior set has its merits, yes but DAMMIT I WANNA LOOK LIKE KING ARTHUR, NOT THE DARK LORD SAURON!
    Yeah, good point. Then again, it sorta goes against the Dragon Age grain for King Arthur to be present...

*watches video*

...huh. So, Bethany/Carver are available even in Mark of the Assassin even if you're in Acts 2 or 3?

Good to know.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Revlid View Post
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

Gold Dragon avatar by Serpentine

6. - Top - End - #276
    Titan in the Playground

I haven't kept up with all the item DLCs and stuff for this game for obvious reasons, but if, IF I am going to play it, what is worth getting?`

(If anyone is interested I am re-watching an old blind let's play of the game, and I am almost tempted to fire it up. Of course I have about 80 hours of Origins to play first)
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2011-10-14 at 06:23 AM.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

7. - Top - End - #277
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by horngeek View Post
    ...huh. So, Bethany/Carver are available even in Mark of the Assassin even if you're in Acts 2 or 3?

Good to know.
    Provided they're still alive, they can be chosen as party members for both Legacy and Mark of the Assassin if you play either DLC in Act 2 or Act 3. Of course, you can also play Legacy and MotA in Act 1, if you wish.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2011-10-14 at 06:38 AM.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Candle Jack View Post
    Provided they're still alive, they can be chosen as party members for both Legacy and Mark of the Assassin if you play either DLC in Act 2 or Act 3. Of course, you can also play Legacy and MotA in Act 1, if you wish.
    Yeah, but Legacy had a reason for them coming along. I plain didn't notice them in MotA.

Spoiler
    Show
    And so it was that Zaeed, Aang, Winry, Ezio, Sadoko and Snow White all set out on their epic journey to destroy The Empire.

God I love Exalted.

9. - Top - End - #279
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by horngeek View Post
    Yeah, but Legacy had a reason for them coming along. I plain didn't notice them in MotA.
    Fair enough. I don't think they add much as a result of their presence.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2011-10-14 at 07:37 AM.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Avilan the Grey View Post
    I haven't kept up with all the item DLCs and stuff for this game for obvious reasons, but if, IF I am going to play it, what is worth getting?`

(If anyone is interested I am re-watching an old blind let's play of the game, and I am almost tempted to fire it up. Of course I have about 80 hours of Origins to play first)
    The original DLCs, Exiled Prince and Black Emporium, both provided interesting elements. Exiled Prince added an archer rogue/priest to the party who was the closest to pure paladin-goodness as game allows (though even he had a past of booze and carousing before finding Andraste). Think kind of like a male (and chaste) version of Leliana and you've got the right direction. Black Emporium added the ability to redesign your character (and respec anyone in your party), as well as a lot of powerful gear (some of which was free) and the new innate ability to summon a pet mabari warhound that you now always had. He's kinda like Dog from DAO, only now he doesn't take up a character slot and isn't playable.

Legacy was really good, in my opinion. The gear wasn't nearly as good as was suggested (any three-runed weapon of equivalent level is better) and there's a little of the old screwed-if-you-do-screwed-if-you-don't going on near the end, but a great deal of what is disliked about the main game is handled differently in Legacy - enemies don't come in waves unless they really should (spiders and deepstalkers), no map is used twice, and there is a LOT of banter (including Hawke, this time). There's also a rather nice conversation with Leandra, regardless of which act of the game you played the DLC in, if you know what I mean. It doesn't matter who you bring, they all have something interesting to say (and generally to do) in the DLC, including an encounter with Bianca's creator.

One interesting bit of the two new DLC story packs is the way they're presented. While Exiled Prince is woven into the game itself, these two are pretty much stand-alone, in relatively distant locations. Both of them include openings where Cassandra denounces Varric for leaving out key events.

The gear DLCs are pretty much a waste, in my opinion, if you're playing on the PC. The mod community creates much better toys, both in form and function, and all the mods really do is drive home that the designers understand that iconic gear should level up yet still refuse to do it to anything plot relevant other than Bianca.

11. - Top - End - #281
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    The original DLCs, Exiled Prince and Black Emporium, both provided interesting elements.
    I have those: I pre-ordered the game.

As for the rest, thanks for the info
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ogre in the Playground

Actually, people go on about how Hawke had the Idiot Ball for not noticing Corypheus had possessed that Warden, but to be honest? I can't really say that, given that I completely missed it first playthrough of Legacy.

Spoiler
    Show

God I love Exalted.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

It depends on which one you take. Side with the younger one, and it's very subtle. If you side with the older one, however, he drops into Cory's backward grammar while talking to you. It's still pretty subtle, but it's a lot easier to see.

Personally, I don't see it as an idiot ball thing. It is subtle, and Hawke had no reason to expect it - he didn't know the secret of the Wardens (and I doubt Anders or the young Hawke would, either) and this wasn't an "old god" in any event. What bothers me is that, again, your choices have limited impact on the outcome, and either way there's a new wildcard on the table that nobody is aware of.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ettin in the Playground

Those who have played Mark of the Assassin: which act would you recommend playing it in?
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

I keep my stories in a blog. You should read them.

5E Sorcerous Origin: Arcanist

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psyren View Post
    ...Why do I imagine you licking your lips and rubbing your hands together?

15. - Top - End - #285
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dhavaer View Post
    Those who have played Mark of the Assassin: which act would you recommend playing it in?
    Early Act 3, personally. Definitely no earlier than Act 2. Two reasons: Qunari tie-ins, and wyverns hit like trains.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Orc in the Playground

PirateCaptain

alright played mark of the assassin

Spoiler
    Show

HATED it a lot. worst contrivance worst railroading ever.
    start off with a person that helped kill some bandits for you.she propositions for you to steal a gem from a orleisian noble. the problem being you would only join her if your charcters was
    A trusting
    and
    B Greedy
    My character being neither. would have said no. but for DLC sake we accept.

go through a couple hoops and get to the vault and get ambushed. it then revealed she lied she wanted to kill a person. and she is a qunari. Having been pretty unforgiving toward people that lie to her and qunari for the whole city sacking and mage enslavement thing ( my character being a mage)

it would be in my character best interest to kill her in the prison.but what if i need her to help me escape the prison. nope my companions come to save me. now they have arrived good time to kill her that makes two opportunities. okay maybe we need more man power to escape.

alright we go and escape. she spins a story about qunari informant would mean lots of qunari deaths. I don't care we have an exit now might as well kill her so orleias has their qunari informant. apparently not. we let her go and don't follow she is left to deal with her problem herself end of story. NOPE

in the biggest contrived coincidence the path you take take you to the meeting place at the exact time they are have the meeting not before not after but right on time. so it didn't matter which path you took you would be there just in time. but oh well i don't care about this guy. i should hide in the bushes or wait for them to finish. nope you should stroll right in and give tallis her distaction.

alright she steals the informant's scroll. qunari is still alive he can make anew one. then the orlesian noble decide that right now to be out of character and hold the idiot ball.

he is smart since he did the ambush and he is from orleias which run tons of bards which specialize in subterfuge. he found out about the assassin is after his informant so obviously the informant is important. The assassin deliberately went after the scroll rather than the informant so that should tell you that the scroll is important. so apparently the obvious thing to do is not go after the person with the scroll but kill the informant and you. WHAT?

then tallis doesn't leave no she stays and joins you in the battle with the guy. maybe she is still guilty about including you in it. then after the battle you let her go you can't even ask for the scroll or kill her in the fourth opportunity in the god damn game.

I have defended them for DA2 railroading but this crosses the line in sheer terribleness.
    Last edited by Illieas; 2011-10-17 at 12:24 AM.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Titan in the Playground

finally finished this game. its awesome, its like playing out real history and I loved the fact that you could

Spoiler
    Show
    persuade Fenris to defend the Mages and succeed

but yeah, that character derailment about Anders….just didn't make any sense at all.
    though I did like his interaction with Alistair. I knew they'd be buddies with each other.
    "I heard you were a Warden once"
    "Just a rumor, say weren't you one to?"
    "Just a rumor"
    "I guess we both get around."

also I liked the "Your always so formal" joke.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

18. - Top - End - #288
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    finally finished this game. its awesome, its like playing out real history and I loved the fact that you could

Spoiler
    Show
    persuade Fenris to defend the Mages and succeed

but yeah, that character derailment about Anders….just didn't make any sense at all.
    though I did like his interaction with Alistair. I knew they'd be buddies with each other.
    "I heard you were a Warden once"
    "Just a rumor, say weren't you one to?"
    "Just a rumor"
    "I guess we both get around."

also I liked the "Your always so formal" joke.
    I thought Anders was an interesting character, but a 180 degree turn from the fun-loving, wise-cracking character from Awakening. I think I agree with the theory that as the game progresses, Vengeance asserts more and more control over Anders and that's why his stance becomes hardened.

P.S. My favorite character from Awakening didn't show up :( Sigrun! I hope she shows up in future sequels.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Bugbear in the Playground

Tried playing my no-mage in the party play through for change.

...and immediately hit brick wall in fight that included credible amount of enemies and an assasin. Just can't see a way to deal with those without a mage in the party for long duration CC. I can only imagine mage mobs would be even harder.
    Last edited by Delusion; 2011-10-26 at 04:43 PM.
    "Best na ta challenge that Delusion" - Durkon in #674

Fairy avatar made by araveugnitsuga.
    Cultist avatar made by Darwin.
    Paladin avatar made by Ceika.

I have started a fantasy webseries about a trans woman wanting to become a paladin:
    http://kirjotusvihe.deviantart.com/gallery/47065120
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...-Paladin-Story

20. - Top - End - #290
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post
    P.S. My favorite character from Awakening didn't show up :( Sigrun! I hope she shows up in future sequels.
    I doubt Sigrun will appear again in the DA franchise, sadly. Awakening pulls a double whammy on her; she always dies while defending Vigil's Keep, and even if you bring her with you to face the Mother, she may disappear into the Deep Roads if you didn't do her personal quest.

Quote Originally Posted by Delusion View Post

...and immediately hit prick wall in fight that included credible amount of enemies and an assasin. Just can't see a way to deal with those without a mage in the party for long duration CC. I can only imagine mage mobs would be even harder.
    Was that intentional or an amusing mis-spelling?

I find the "no-mage" party tends to work pretty well against street gangs, but the game is definitely geared towards setting up party combos and there aren't a lot of those between warriors and rogues.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2011-10-26 at 04:25 PM.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ogre in the Playground

...and immediately hit prick wall in fight that included credible amount of enemies and an assasin. Just can't see a way to deal with those without a mage in the party for long duration CC. I can only imagine mage mobs would be even harder.
    Funnily enough, Templars can handle both of those... okay... with the use of Holy Smite.

Spoiler
    Show

God I love Exalted.

22. - Top - End - #292
    Bugbear in the Playground

Was that intentional or an amusing mis-spelling?

I find the "no-mage" party tends to work pretty well against street gangs, but the game is definitely geared towards setting up party combos and there aren't a lot of those between warriors and rogues.
    >.>

Totally not intentional. Actually had to check online wordbook about what I had typed...

And well, I haven't gotten to the point of getting the specialations yet, so still long way to go to holy smite. And since the stun chance is 50% against normal foes, I don't think it would help much versus most assasins.
    "Best na ta challenge that Delusion" - Durkon in #674

Fairy avatar made by araveugnitsuga.
    Cultist avatar made by Darwin.
    Paladin avatar made by Ceika.

I have started a fantasy webseries about a trans woman wanting to become a paladin:
    http://kirjotusvihe.deviantart.com/gallery/47065120
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...-Paladin-Story

23. - Top - End - #293
    Troll in the Playground

Devil

And well, I haven't gotten to the point of getting the specialations yet, so still long way to go to holy smite. And since the stun chance is 50% against normal foes, I don't think it would help much versus most assasins.
    If you're playing a warrior, make Pommel Strike your new best friend. It isn't always effective against boss rogues, but it's pretty useful against most of them.

If you're a rogue, use Miasmic Flask.
    Last edited by Giggling Ghast; 2011-10-27 at 02:25 AM.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Troll in the Playground

I doubt Sigrun will appear again in the DA franchise, sadly. Awakening pulls a double whammy on her; she always dies while defending Vigil's Keep, and even if you bring her with you to face the Mother, she may disappear into the Deep Roads if you didn't do her personal quest.
    Yeah bummer. Sadly, her personal quest was bugged in Awakening too.

I seem to like all the nerdbait characters that Bioware throws at me.

25. - Top - End - #295
    Titan in the Playground

Good people, I once again find myself in need of an RPG with focus on story and characters that does not require me to micro-train my crafting skills or to spend long hours in the inventory to find out which of my 20 daggers does 0,3% more damage.

I loved Dragon Age and I also love more linerar games like KotOR and Mass Effect, that don't really offer me much of an option of what kind of character I want to play.

Would you recommend DA2 to me, and if yes, why?
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

26. - Top - End - #296
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Good people, I once again find myself in need of an RPG with focus on story and characters that does not require me to micro-train my crafting skills or to spend long hours in the inventory to find out which of my 20 daggers does 0,3% more damage.

I loved Dragon Age and I also love more linerar games like KotOR and Mass Effect, that don't really offer me much of an option of what kind of character I want to play.

Would you recommend DA2 to me, and if yes, why?
    So, you've enjoyed every Bioware game you've played? Then yes, I would suggest Dragon Age 2.

Mechanically, it's a streamlined Dragon Age, similar to what Mass Effect 2 did to Mass Effect 1. You can no longer adjust your companion's armor, so the only things that you need to equip on them is accessories and weapons. The inventory system is a little too much like the Mass Effect 1 system for my liking in which I need to work to differentiate the tiniest difference in gear and the item names suck, but I appreciated not having to dress my companions. The talent trees are streamlined and multi-layer now and I feel have better and more interesting choices now. There's less skills per character, but much less overlap as well.

Combat is freer-flowing now, with much more interaction with skills, especially on the rogues. It is also not as dominated by the mages as Dragon Age 1.

Crafting is dead. You find nodes of materials and then if you have the recipe + the required number of nodes + gold, you can craft the rune. There is no skill up system anymore and you do not find spare

I think the key thing that you have to adjust going in is that it is not a true sequel to Dragon Age 1. There's little impact from Dragon Age 1 in the game and does not have the scale of the first game either. It instead tells the story of one person and his or her companions rather than a world that needs saving. The story for Dragon Age 2 is very polarizing, but I enjoyed it a great deal.
    Last edited by Joran; 2011-11-29 at 02:06 PM.

27. - Top - End - #297
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Joran View Post
    So, you've enjoyed every Bioware game you've played?
    No. Jade Empire was a huge disappointment and Neverwinter Nights was simply garbage. And Dragon Age was seriously lacking in a plot, which was mostly compensated by the interesting side-storylines.

My main hesitation with DA2 is again, the apparent lack of a plot. Also the game apparently having only three maps also does not sound very convincing.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Titan in the Playground

Neverwinter Nights was not garbage!
    "Reach down into your heart and you'll find many reasons to fight. Survival. Honor. Glory. But what about those who feel it's their duty to protect the innocent? There you'll find a warrior savage enough to match any dragon, and in the end, they'll retain what the others won't. Their humanity."

29. - Top - End - #299
    Titan in the Playground

The Technology was awesome, but the campaign that came on the discs was really abysmal. So far clearly the worst BW game by far.

30. - Top - End - #300
    Colossus in the Playground

Okay, I don't get how anyone would describe Dragon Age 1 as "lacking a plot," so you'll need to throw more words at it if you want me to be able to assess whether you're likely to enjoy Dragon Age 2.