New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Help Me Win Using The Dragon Shaman

Right, so me and my friend got into an argument over which is better, Dragon Shaman or Dragonfire Adept. To settle it we are having a duel between the two classes. Im on the side of Dragon Shaman. We should end being ECL 20 and with all class levels being in our chosen class. We have 250,000 gp to spend, and starting stats of 18, 16, 14, 14, 12, 10. The build should not be made to go for the other class specificly, but we can rule out what it doesnt need to fight based on the opposite class. So help me win this duel and prove who is the better dragon follower.
    Edit: btw, I have untill 8pm tomarrow.
    Last edited by Gorfang113; 2011-07-04 at 06:45 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Help Me Win Using The Dragon Shaman

DFA IS better, your friend is right.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Yup, Dragonfire Adept wins. Its invocations beat your auras, and its breath weapon is better, especially since it can debuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Divide by Zero View Post
    Hulking Hurler can get something like (10^83)d6 damage, which is many orders of magnitude greater than the number of particles in the universe.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Current characters: None, looking for a game.

Homebrew!

Wow, it's been a while. Sorry for the unexplained absence!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Unless you optimize like a madman and your friend doesn't the Dragon Shaman is going to get crushed. First of all it's a very bad class and combat isn't it's strong side. It's like pitting the Bard against the Fighter. They're both useful party members, but the Bard isn't built for one on one combat.
    Bienvenue Au Kébec !!!
    Improve Kébec's Industry!
    Improve Kébec's Transport!
    Improve Kébec's Security!

My Trophies!

Spoiler
    Show

Also, if anyone has any sort of problem at all that they feel like talking about, my PM box is open.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Your friend is the winner, especially if he happens to go Evil. Fivefold Breath? Hold me closer, oh dark mistress!
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

Master Homebrew Index (5e)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Loss View Post
    Unless you optimize like a madman and your friend doesn't the Dragon Shaman is going to get crushed. First of all it's a very bad class and combat isn't it's strong side. It's like pitting the Bard against the Fighter. They're both useful party members, but the Bard isn't built for one on one combat.
    Bard wins that fight, actually. Yes, spells are that good. Also, they're better at melee combat with things like Snowflake Wardance. So ... bad example, but you're right.

Hulking Hurler can get something like (10^83)d6 damage, which is many orders of magnitude greater than the number of particles in the universe.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

The DFA is better though a duel is not really its strong suit. DFAs best advantage is strong battlefield control in mass quantities. Plus the DFA can also get your aura for a feat and his breathweapon his hands down better.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Not to mention the DFA actually got (wait for it) splat support! The MIC has at least one item just for them.

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew!

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Mate, I hate to say it, but yer boned. You might pull something out by careful and clever application of wealth. Otherwise? By weight of class features, the DFA has you beat everywhere. The biggest advantage you have is that your breath weapon qualifies for metabreath feats, so you can make it be a Heightened Maximized Clinging breath that deals full damage on first hit with a DC 40-some save and then does repeating damage for the next 10 rounds.. the problem is you won't get enough damage to one-shot him, and when his turn comes around he can just Energy Immunity to your breath type. And then you're screwed.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    Mate, I hate to say it, but yer boned. You might pull something out by careful and clever application of wealth. Otherwise? By weight of class features, the DFA has you beat everywhere. The biggest advantage you have is that your breath weapon qualifies for metabreath feats, so you can make it be a Heightened Maximized Clinging breath that deals full damage on first hit with a DC 40-some save and then does repeating damage for the next 10 rounds.. the problem is you won't get enough damage to one-shot him, and when his turn comes around he can just Energy Immunity to your breath type. And then you're screwed.
    Gah, beat me to it, I just remembered DS breath weapon got metabreath feat access. Still, you've also covered the response to it. You didn't, however, mention how the DFA can get its breath weapon cheesed to get metabreath feats as well. And have other class features to use while it's recharging.

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew!

11. - Top - End - #11
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by *.*.*.* View Post
    DFA IS better, your friend is right.
    I love when a thread can be wrapped up on the second post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by mootoall View Post
    Not to mention the DFA actually got (wait for it) splat support! The MIC has at least one item just for them.
    What item is that by the way?

13. - Top - End - #13
    Colossus in the Playground

Incidentally, the wealth you're using for the duel is about a third of what you should actually have by that level. Any reason why?
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MeeposFire View Post
    Some sort of Carapace of Something. It's the analogue to the Chasubel of Fell Power for the Warlock. Except there's no Greater version. Which makes me angry.

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew!

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

There's the Dragon Spirit Cincture, a cheap belt item which adds 1d6 to your breath weapon damage, and gives you a +1 on the DC if you wield a weapon with the same energy type. The obvious answer, therefore, is to grab a/some daggers with Least Energy Assault Weapon Crystals inside, which work just fine. All in all, tiny investment for decent boon to your primary weapon.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Well this is optimistic... I will just take the metabreath feats and hope for him to screw up or for me to get lucky. The metabreath feats are all in dragonomicon, right?

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Amnestic View Post
    There's the Dragon Spirit Cincture, a cheap belt item which adds 1d6 to your breath weapon damage, and gives you a +1 on the DC if you wield a weapon with the same energy type. The obvious answer, therefore, is to grab a/some daggers with Least Energy Assault Weapon Crystals inside, which work just fine. All in all, tiny investment for decent boon to your primary weapon.
    Wait doesn't that work with any breath weapon though?

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amnestic View Post
    Ah, yes, that one. Actually, the most efficient way to do it is +1 arrows with least energy assault weapon crystals. Cheaper, and you're not actually fighting with it, so weilding it as a improvised melee weapon doesn't matter.

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Ah, yes, that one. Actually, the most efficient way to do it is +1 arrows with least energy assault weapon crystals. Cheaper, and you're not actually fighting with it, so weilding it as a improvised melee weapon doesn't matter.
    A dragoncraft dagger/sword/whatever also works if you prefer something that doesn't make your DM want to smack you for abusing the ammo crafting rules- dragoncraft weapons do 1 point of damage of whatever energy type the source dragon breathed.

Edit: And a Least crystal only requires Masterwork quality, so if you're not planning to actually hit anything with 'em those arrows don't even need the enhancement. If you're gonna suggest something for the sake of cheesy efficiency, be efficient!
    Last edited by tyckspoon; 2011-07-04 at 09:55 PM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tyckspoon View Post
    A dragoncraft dagger/sword/whatever also works if you prefer something that doesn't make your DM want to smack you for abusing the ammo crafting rules- dragoncraft weapons do 1 point of damage of whatever energy type the source dragon breathed.

Edit: And a Least crystal only requires Masterwork quality, so if you're not planning to actually hit anything with 'em those arrows don't even need the enhancement. If you're gonna suggest something for the sake of cheesy efficiency, be efficient!
    Heh, didn't know that, thought they needed the enhancement bonus. I'll read up better next time

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew!

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Wait doesn't that work with any breath weapon though?
    I believe so, yes. Less useful for most others though, since they use their Breath Weapon less, so the investment is used less.

Quote Originally Posted by Gorfang113 View Post
    Well this is optimistic... I will just take the metabreath feats and hope for him to screw up or for me to get lucky. The metabreath feats are all in dragonomicon, right?
    Of course you have to worry about him taking breath weapon feats - easily accomplished by either going Dragonborn or taking the Power Surge feat (Dragon...314?). It's not as if the DFA really needs to spend his feats on anything else once he has Entangling Exhalation.
    DMing:
    Iron Crisis IC | OOC
    Cyre Red IC | OOC

Playing:
    OotA IC | OOC

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Dragon shamans are more useful for supporting armies of low-level soldiers than fighting one-on-one. And their auras can be replicated with feats anyway.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

Why would a duel show which class is better? If a character has an aura that adds +50 damage to every party member but him, he's doing more damage than the party's Fighter, but he couldn't win against him 1 on 1.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, but Dragon Shaman auras are bad regardless. The best you can get is capped fast healing for out-of-combat healing that everyone should have prepared to do anyway.
    Last edited by FMArthur; 2011-07-05 at 09:45 AM.
    • Chameleon Base Class [3.5]/[PF]: A versatile, morphic class that mimics one basic party role (warrior, caster, sneak, etc) at a time. If you find yourself getting bored of any class you play too long, the Chameleon is for you!
    • Warlock Power Sources [3.5]: Making Hellfire Warlock part of the base class and providing other similar options for Warlocks whose powers don't come from devils.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground

sorry what what?
    Spoiler
    Show

DRAGON SPIRIT
    AMULET
    Price (Item Level): 2,000 gp (6th)
    Body Slot: Throat
    Caster Level: 9th
    Aura: Moderate; (DC 19) transmutation
    Activation: Swift (command)
    Weight: —
    This necklace features a large, clear crystal set
    in silver, and the silhouette of a dragon has
    been etched onto it.
    Prized by dragon shamans (PH2 11), basically 3 times a day double aura size for a round

you mean just like dragon shaman?

I just realized was talking about dragon disciple bah I am an idiot
    Last edited by slaydemons; 2011-07-05 at 10:13 AM.
    Pirate avatar thanks to serpentine.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I'm pretty sure Dragon Shaman was meant to be an NPC "Marshall" class. Then again, I'm also convinced the Paladin, or anything else with "X per day" abilities where X is less than 3. Edit: I send a "What?" right back to you, sir. Since when is DFA not a 20 level class in Dragon Magic? Though I'll concede I wasn't aware of the DS item. Although a DFA can still get all the good DS auras by feats, and benefit from the item too ...
    Last edited by mootoall; 2011-07-05 at 10:13 AM.

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew!

27. - Top - End - #27
    Bugbear in the Playground

I send a "What?" right back to you, sir. Since when is DFA not a 20 level class in Dragon Magic? Though I'll concede I wasn't aware of the DS item. Although a DFA can still get all the good DS auras by feats, and benefit from the item too ...
    made a mistake ,dragon disciple, lot of breathing classes sorry my bad

edit 1: note to self check to see if breath weapons stack and don't confuse dragonfire adept with dragon disciple again you look like an idiot
    Last edited by slaydemons; 2011-07-05 at 10:21 AM.
    Pirate avatar thanks to serpentine.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Dwarf in the Playground

Zombie

Dfa's are best at debuffing, and then blasting. They should also have high mobility.
    I suggest that you make yourself immune to the debuffs and immune or highly resistant to the blasting. A warforged or undead will be resistant to most of the debuffs. There's a ring that gives you the half dragon template (white), ask your dm if you can get different flavors (black and blue). Mantle of icy soul and the fire version are expensive but give you fire and cold subtypes. Ring of freedom of movement or several castings of heary of water will protect you from entangle. Mind blank, armor with proof against transmutation, blindfold of true dark, and decent saves should make you immune to most of what he can do to you.

He's got a lot of defenses against your breath weapon built in, so I would mostly ignore it. Pick up entangling exhalation if you think you must (just to show you can without having to jump through hoops). Buff dex, str, then con and wis. Get a good bow and endless quiver. Spend some feats and magic items to make yourself decent at archery. True strike plus manyshot isn't a bad combo. A +5 splitting dragonbane bow should do the trick. Get hanks bow from the wizards website if you can.

I know all of this is more than 250k, I am going with normal wbl.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by golem1972 View Post
    Dfa's are best at debuffing, and then blasting. They should also have high mobility.
    I suggest that you make yourself immune to the debuffs and immune or highly resistant to the blasting. A warforged or undead will be resistant to most of the debuffs. There's a ring that gives you the half dragon template (white), ask your dm if you can get different flavors (black and blue). Mantle of icy soul and the fire version are expensive but give you fire and cold subtypes. Ring of freedom of movement or several castings of heary of water will protect you from entangle. Mind blank, armor with proof against transmutation, blindfold of true dark, and decent saves should make you immune to most of what he can do to you.
    and then he just blitzes you with alternate uses of Thunder Breath (sonic!) and the special Bahamut breath (untyped) anyway.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, WBL can do pretty well against the DFA ... if you want to be immune to all energy damage types. At which point you still have to deal with Invocations. Good luck with those.

Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew!