New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 54 FirstFirst 1234567891011122752 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: AVB - Ishmael Mk II

Spoiler
    Show

Yes but he might have been! Ishmael will soon start trapping the closet he sleeps in!

Can you blame me after the fact that I kill a guy and he does 80 damage to me (40 cause of my saves) AFTER DEATH?

Satisfied though worried that he hears nothing he starts to work on the lock.

More interested in a quick and careful job he applies a touch of oil on the hinges and the lock though not too much as that would make it very obvious someone did it.

The fact that the necklace will be missing might also make it very obvious but that comes later he considers with a smile.

Having oiled the mechanisms he tries to unlock the lock.

Spoiler
    Show

open lock (1d20+20)[26]

Edit: thats not gonna cut it probably... I will take 20 on this since I have time...

Last edited by Monodominant; 2011-07-09 at 09:21 AM.
    AvB has come and gone. Its spirit still lives on in the few active threads...

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

He tries the lock once, twice, thrice,... sixteen... seventeen.... and 21!

it's unlocked!
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderML View Post
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Yurhzorg is a nuclear warhead disguised as a playable character
    Much thanks to Ceika for the poketar!

I'll be away from the internet from 1/3-1/8 2019. I swear I'm not disappeared.

3. - Top - End - #33

He does not curse as he was expecting something like this.

He breathes out and slowly opens the drawer. He is not about to touch something that might be incredibly cursed or otherwise powerful so he just looks around the drawer for now.

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

inside is an inkwell, two quills, three rolls of parchment, a paperweight, and a bundle of folded silk.
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).

5. - Top - End - #35

Ishmael considers this for a moment.

He uses the quill, ink and paper and leaves a note for the baron.

"
    My Lord Baron.

I apologize for this offense and I realize and I am causing you great discomfort. Know though that my intentions are good and that I am taking this item from you so that I may strike a blow against the Jacks that plague this city. I am looking for patrons that will help me do this. If you are willing to help after my mission to destroy that evil faction is done you can have your necklace back.

To prove I have not evil intentions in my mind I would like to point out that the eastern window on the ground floor is a blind spot to your house's defenses though I guess this may not be of importance since you plan to move to the Noble's Quarter and shut yourself off the real Aldhaven.

If you are interested in what I have said and plan to commit to helping me in my quest you should put a small red scarf at the gate of your manor tomorrow afternoon.

I will then make sure a messenger reaches you. Please give him the response in an unsealed envelope. He will have orders not to enter your manor but will wait by the entrance for your reply.

I know not what you plan for the Baroness and what enchantment the necklace has but in good faith please reveal it for me in the letter. I do not really care but it shows you trust me enough to do that. I offer you an oath that I will not reveal it. The oath of the man that stood in a room next to you yet did not wish you harm.

And my lord, if you try and play me... I will know.

This comes from a man that was present in your meeting with your butler and you did not realize so I hope you trust in my abilities enough to not think I am kidding.

Yours truly,

R.A.

"

Finishing the letter he takes the silk bundle and checks to see if it has something inside but without opening it.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Titan in the Playground

Indeed, the necklace which you saw placed inside the silk has not walked off and disappeared.

7. - Top - End - #37

Stranger things have happened considers the enterprising skulk as he places it safely in his backpack and spends some time ensuring he doesnt leave any traces other than the note and then closes the drawer trying to lock it after jamming a scent breaker ampule so that when the drawer is re-opened it breaks and destroys any signs of his scent.

He considers searching for anything else in the room but he shakes his head. He is no petty thief. He is something much greater arbitrarily decided by himself.

He moves to the door and checks the lock for any traps. He knows he did not see any before and the Baron didnt seem to activate it but you never know.

After spending a couple of minutes searching it he puts a few drops of oil on the hinges and opens it, exiting the room.

Spoiler
    Show

Take 20 to make sure I dont leave any ... samples, skin flakes, hair etc at the drawer and around the area and placing the scent-breaker ampule.

Take 20 to re-lock the drawer.

Take 20 to search the door.

I assume the key is on the door? Cause you said that he takes the key of the drawer with him but not the one that locked the door?

8. - Top - End - #38
    Titan in the Playground

You find the outer door locked. Perhaps it uses the same key as the desk lock.

9. - Top - End - #39

Wasting no more time Ishmael places an extra pair of clothes or a pillow from a chair over his hand and over the lock to muffle the sound and uses the ring to cast knock.

He then uses the hat to take the appearance of the Baron himself considering it the best option in case he is stopped by anyone within the house.

He then carefully opens it and checks the corridor.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

the corridor is empty.

11. - Top - End - #41

Ishmael closes the door behind him carefully and then heads downstairs. He tries to step on the same steps as before even and heads for the room from which he first entered.

If nothing happens he exits the house, closes the window behind him and waits for a few moments to ensure none of the outside guards are around before leaving the perimeter.

Spoiler
    Show

Taking 10 on hide and ms :D

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

Nothing untowards happens so far.

13. - Top - End - #43

Pleased with himself he attempts to leave the house the way he came. As soon as he does so he dimes a quiet and dark spot and gets rid of his old clothes and puts on a new set of clothes and pets fire to the previous ones.

A bit more relaxed and confident now he heads for the guildsman district and looks for an open metal worker shop or any shop that may carry metal boxes and chests.

If no such place is open he spends some time being paranoid, eats some of his rations and walks around in circles around the general area while hiding and changing disguises.

As soon as he can he enters said store and buys a strong wooden box inlaid with metal or even better a full metal box.

Once that is done he places the silk bundle in the box and heads to his house.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

A fire in the dead of night in an alleyway attracts the attention of one of the city watch who was passing by. He comes over and says, "What's going on here?" He does not appear to see you, just be asking in general.

15. - Top - End - #45

Ishmael has recently been wanting a really good City Watch uniform and the only really good enough one is a real one.

The fact that he is carrying a hugely expensive possible enchanted necklace though sobers him up. There will be time enough for this.

The clothes having been set on fire already and having been clothes only worn for a single day he doesnt delay further. He moves away in the shadows created by the fire and ignores the man.

Spoiler
    Show

hide (1d20+39)[43]
    ms (1d20+23)[41]

He then continues step by step the aforementioned plan.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

He has to wait until dawn to find a smith. He can buy a cheap copper box for 3 silver or a strong steel box for 2 gold.

whichever box he buys, he makes it home and there is no reasonable cause to suspect that he was being followed.

17. - Top - End - #47

He does indeed wait till dawn. He buys a strong steel box for 2 gold before returning home and places the necklace there.

Once at home he takes all usual precautions and sleeps for a few hours just to get a bit of rest.

When he wakes up he hides the pendant in the closet and takes off. He heads for the manor which he observes hidden from a distance.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

He does not see any indication of increased activity, but he does notice that the window he had come through last night has been boarded shut from the inside.

19. - Top - End - #49

He looks to see if the red scarf has been placed near the entrance.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

At first glance, he sees nothing, then he sees a tattered bit of red that might have once been a scarf. Looking closer, the rope holding it up has been tied into a hangman's noose.

21. - Top - End - #51

Spoiler
    Show

Just to clarify cause I am not sure what that means... I guess its a sign that is used for non-agreement? I mean is it an obvious "I will get you" kind of thing?

Ishmael shivvers for a moment as he sees the sign. He wonders if its just done out of annoyance or if the significance is one to indicate more than just anger but deadly intent.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    as in, he's hung your agreement. A symbolic execution. A rather grim one.

23. - Top - End - #53

Spoiler
    Show

Nobody ever cooperates willingly!!!

Ishmael considers if he should or should not see if the Baron has anything to say. The noose seems pretty bad and he does off course understand the reasoning behind it. Being robbed of what was probably a very elaborate plan must be very annoying and frustrating but still he did offer a way out.

Torn but not wanting to take the slightest risk he tries to find a messenger. He approaches using the hat to take the appearance of a random person he has seen a day or so ago he walks up to him and asks him to deliver and receive a message from the manor.

His own message says "Please reconsider".

He sends the messenger and instructs him that most likely he will be given a message to deliver. He tells him that he will meet him back at this location.

As soon as the messenger is gone, Ishmael hides in shadows, alters his appearance again and follows him.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    ... you stole his wife's anniversary gift. The gift that was gonna vault him up out of obscurity.

Your messenger knocks on the door, he delivers the message to the butler, and turned out without so much as the customary tip.

25. - Top - End - #55

Spoiler
    Show

I will give it back!!!!

Plus he wanted to cast some kind of spell on her from what I understood!!!!

Also just to get my dates right.

When is the anniversary and when is the raid against the Jacks?

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    anniversary is in 6 days. Jacks raid is in 5.

27. - Top - End - #57

Spoiler
    Show

Ah okay at least that is something...

Annoyed Ishmael heads for the Plaza. He uses the hat to take the appearance of a young half-elf with bright orange hair and a scar presumably ruining his left eye.

He approaches the town crier and asks him to include the following job in his repertoire.

"Young, infuelntial, orange headed youth offers opportunity and reward for those interested in taking risks in a delicate mission. Meet him at the Drowned Mermaid any day between five and seven in the afternoon."

The Drowned Mermaid being a mid-scale tavern where he has lived in the past and has more than one exits and numerous windows as well as smaller private rooms for private conversations.

He then stops by the messenger he had sent to Jezleen two days ago with the message about him being unavailable for the next week due to business of sensitive nature.

Having done that Ishmael heads over to the jeweler he had used some time ago to get Jezleen a present.

Spoiler
    Show

Should I make this as a post in the City streets? Cause I dont want people to think its down as my DM persona... Perhaps Rizban can add it at the rumors bit but you could also promote it as DM post?

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

"50 gold to get something added to the announcements."

29. - Top - End - #59

He pays the man gladly and asks how often will he be calling this one.

He then continues as planned.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

"Every hour as I go through the list. Announcement must be renewed each week."

Spoiler
    Show
    pm Riz to let him know of the change to the town crier.

The return message: "Dear Ish, it looks like work must come first to you for a while. A less understanding woman would be jealous. Try not to die in your oh-so-gallant assassination mission."

He is at the jeweler's shop. "Ah, a return customer. Were you satisfied with the necklace from before?"