New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 54 FirstFirst 123456789101112132853 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: AVB - Ishmael Mk II

"More than satisfied and the lady that received it was ovejoyed!"he says with full honesty.

"Now I have a special request... Perhaps its not exactly your core business but since I was very happy with your business I came to you first. My master, one I cannot name, suspects that someone plans to steal a very important piece of jewelery he owns. He plans to trick the thief and to do so he needs a replica. An item that will be exactly the same, or close enough, yet not register as fake..." he paused for a moment.

"Would you be able to do something like that?"

Spoiler
    Show

I need to run 2-3 ideas I have by you to ask which one will work mechanically but will do so from work pc as I dont have all my books here...

AvB has come and gone. Its spirit still lives on in the few active threads...

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

"Depends on the exact item. I can do a lot, but if the gems are uniquely magical, no. Not if the magical auras must also be duplicated. Physically and visually, I can even replicate the presence of auras. But my auras will always read as illusion of weak power."
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderML View Post
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Yurhzorg is a nuclear warhead disguised as a playable character
    Much thanks to Ceika for the poketar!

I'll be away from the internet from 1/3-1/8 2019. I swear I'm not disappeared.

3. - Top - End - #63

"Well I am not sure about the magical auras part so I will have to check that out. This is of top confidentiality by the way. My master wants to catch the thief but not risk the actual item if he fails to track it or the thief proves smarter than we expect. In any case, I shall return to you after I figure this part out." he says and thanking the man he departs.

He sits at a tavern to consider his options.

Spoiler
    Show

Okay...

So I thought of 3 things and need to check with you... they all require some... positive thinking but all will cost me alot anyway...

a) Enchant the necklase with the "called" ability like an armor/weapon. Its a 2000gp enchantment. Would you allow it to work on the necklase? Also in case its an armor in the description of it, it says that if someone fully wears the armor you cant use it... would that be the same restriction if we put it on the necklase?

b) Drawmij's Instant Summons spell. (From PHB page 225). It would cost me 910 gold to get a wizard to cast it on the necklase AND a 1000gold for a sapphire.

Two issues here, it says the spell wont work if the item is in the "possession" of someone else. Does possession mean wearing it or is keeping it in a locked box you own counted as possession? Is having it in a pocket but not using it possession? Keep in mind this is a 7th level spell we are talking about that costs 1000gold a pop :).

My plan for this would be to send (said gem) in a box to the Baron and say "break me" or something similarly poetic... its by far the coolest of the things I have thought.

c) Translocation trick. (Spell compendium page 222).

This is done with people (as in you switch with someone else) could I have it cast on a copy item and do it with the real necklase after I give it to the Jacks?

This is probably the cheapest version requiring a 4rth level spell casting and a copy item that evens gets a "disguise" for some time. The benefit is off course that WHEN the item is checked it is the real thing...

Overall:

I know all 3 options are not exactly their core use but you know its all about being enterpreneureal and it did take me yesterday evening searching for options :D

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    a) technically, that's an armor enchantment. However, I'm wiling to houserule a 3,000 gp version that can be applied to any object. that's a 1.5x price increase for putting it other than in its normal slot. He would have to wear it around his neck for this option to not work.

b) possession means on their person or worn by them.

c)if its a person spell, objects are not people, sorry.
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).

5. - Top - End - #65

Spoiler
    Show

Got it... option 1 it is then... there goes the money I got from capturing Jacks... I hope the baron appreciates this...

Would a two time use of this spell make the cost less? As in I can only ever do it twice.

Ishmael gets up having decided how to proceed. Its still a bit risky but he doubts the Dayman is a jewelery person and he doesnt need this to work for a long time.

He stops by Hagan's store and picks up the rest of his items and then heads for a district where there are more than one horse sellers. He uses the hat to take the appearance of the Toe and then asks around for horses and details on if various horse breeds could take him as far as the nearest city without being too tired etc. He doesnt make a show out of it but he wants to leave an impression.

That done he leaves after asking a merchant to keep a decent horse for him and leaves. He hides and changes his appearance following his usual precautions but changing them a bit this time. In effect he at some point stops at an empty alley with low buildings and uses the shadow cloak to teleport 10 feet on a low roof. He then hides and sprints away confident this should be enough to lose any pursuit.

He heads to his place where he picks up the box and then he heads to an enchanters shop.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

You pick up your items.

One of the merchants holds a horse for him.

he heads to the shop.

7. - Top - End - #67

Ishmael takes yet another diffrent appearance, that of a well to do man. This time he uses his disguise kit to also put a mundane layer of disguise under his normal one just in case and he is wearing his finest, never before worn outfit.

Before entering the store he is hiding at an alley behind the building and he check the necklase for the first time. If everything seems in order he closes the box and enters the store and asks for the owner.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

everything is in order.

Inside the store, a clerk asks, "Mind telling me what your business with the owner is?"

9. - Top - End - #69

Ishmael smiles confidently.

"Ah yes I apologise if perhaps you can help as well... I have a request that requires confidentiality. My master has asked me to have a particular items of his enchanted and has also asked that I try and keep it as low profile as possible... hence I wanted to see the Master of your fine establishment. If you are the one performing the castings then for sure you will do..." he says.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

He rolls his eyes, and says, "I'll get the boss."

A few minutes later a large man in red velvet robes walks out. "So, you want to get something enchanted?"

11. - Top - End - #71

Ishmael gives a short bow to the man and smiles.

"Yes sir I do. I apologise for asking for you but I have a rather sensitive request and I appreciate you taking the time to talk to me" he says and leans forward placing the box in front of the man.

"Please have a look. It is something very valuable and very dear to my master. As I serve as his main procurer and as there has been indication that someone may try to steal it, he has asked if I can get in enchanted so we can never lose it! He would like me to be able to... ' call ' it, I believe the term is, from a distance. I have read of similar magic though this I guess would be a custom job either making it a permanent thing or something with 2 or so charges a day?"

"Oh and complete confidentiality is required..." he says firmly.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

"Hm... I recognize this piece. Who did you say your master was?"

13. - Top - End - #73

Ishmael frowns for a moment and lets it show.

"I didnt." he says firmly as his frown deepens only to be replaced by a slightly less hard emotion.

"Dear sir... if you have seen this piece then you know who my master is. You know for who it is for. You know why it is sensitive and you know that he would not like this information to be leaked. You may even know that he has plans to use the item in the very near future and as such I dont have time to waste with games if you do not trust me or whatever the issue may be that is forcing you to... try and fish me out." he says adopting an annoyed stance.

"I did not come here completely by chance or ask for you accidentally but if you dont plan to go ahead with what we are talking about then there are others in this city who would like to take advantage of this opportunity. Perhaps this is how you have dealt with Jarvis in the past, but this is not how I will be treated... my time for my master is far too valuable..." continuing on the same tone.

Spoiler
    Show

Jarvis is the head butler in case you dont recall the name.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

"Look, servant, I am a landed lord. You will answer my question or I'll have you arrested on some flimsy and trumped up charge. I don't trust you, and evading my question isn't helping you out one whit."

15. - Top - End - #75

Ishmael considers grabbing the box and bolting out the door for a moment.

He decides against it, for now, and looks at the man carefully.

"I apologise if I have offended you but for me this is a top priority. I did not realise you are a land owner and a lord master wizard. In any case, my master, and once again I repeat he requires absolute secrecy is ..." he lowers his voice to a whisper "the Baron XYZ. Does that satisfy your curiosity and question?" he asks in a much more polite manner.

Spoiler
    Show

Its your fault! I now also cant remember names... XYZ is the actual name of the guy...

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

"Yes. It will be a standard 3,000 gold for this. I assume the baron provided you with funds?"

17. - Top - End - #77

Ishmael sighs relieved, internally, and gives the man the cash.

"You realise I am very worried about not failing his Lordship so if it is okay with you I would like to wait until you have enchanted the item?"

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

"That will take 3 hours, but if you want to wait, you may."

19. - Top - End - #79

Indeed he does.

If the normal store clerk comes back around he also leans closer and asks.

"By the way, I recently got my hands on an interesting magical item. It was custom made so I am not sure what abilities it has. Since I am here would you be able to identify it for me while I am waiting?"

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

"Sure. Standard price of 150 gold."

21. - Top - End - #81

Ishmael raises an eyebrow and considers going back to Hagan but for just one item its not worth it at this point.

"Very well..." he says and hands over the belt and the money.

Spoiler
    Show

It better be something good :D.

Also, I like how my... evil nature and caring for a woman's anniversary is just costing me 3k gold of hard-earned, Jack hating money!

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    ... what item is being identified, again?

23. - Top - End - #83

Spoiler
    Show

The special exploding belt that the half-drow had? You had said and I quote "at least if you survive it, its a pretty sweet belt..."

:D

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Hm... this seems to be a heavily modified belt of priestly might.

+4 Strength
    +2 Dexterity
    +2 Constitution
    +1 Nat armor

25. - Top - End - #85

Spoiler
    Show

Oh WOW!!!!

its like a 4 in 1 item! Means I get my hand slot free AND some more AC... If only that +4 was on dex rather than strength I would be partying like a crazy bastard

Ishmael raises an eyebrow... the half-drow he had killed was most certainly not a priest though perhaps the name is poetic rather than functional.

He thanks the man, takes the belt and then waits for the -item- to be ready.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    well, you could upgrade it for 12,000 gold.

Three hours later, the item is ready.

27. - Top - End - #87

Ishmael takes the item, thanks the wizard and the clerk bowing deeply and departs.

He heads away from the store and checks the item by leaving it in a dumpster, within eyesight, and then calling it.

If everything works he tries to suppress his joy by not jumping up and down at having performed what is in his mind a great job.

Though he feels bad about having spent this amount of money he realised the necessities that lead to this.

He moves further away, hiding again, changing appearance again, to another alley and there he places the pendant into the lead box and puts on his new special belt while placing the Healing belt in his backpack to be used as a backup healing supply.

He visits a smaller scale Magic store and purchases a wand of ray of frost and then enters the sewers and heads for the Docks.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

It works.

he buys junk.

He is in the Docks under the sewers.

29. - Top - End - #89

Ishmael drops all disguises and takes his normal form.

He walks around looking for the passages he had followed until he can reach the area where he had met his brothers and sisters.

He is looking for the Chief's nephew or niece in particular.
    Last edited by Monodominant; 2011-07-12 at 04:54 PM.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Titan in the Playground

He finds the nephew. "Hey Ish. How goes the quest for death?"