New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Webcomic suggestions wanted

Yeah, it's me. Again.

Basically there is a gazillion webcomics.

I read the following:

Darths and Droids*
    Eerie Cuties
    Girl Genius
    Menage a 3
    Order Of The Stick**
    Scandinavia and the World
    Shadow Girls
    Weregeek

Now... Combining that with the comics YOU (imagine Uncle Sam pointing at you here, please) read... Can you give suggestions and why you like them?

*Thinking about quitting; it stopped being funny about 2 years ago and is mostly boring these days

**Duh.
    Blizzard Battletag: UnderDog#21677

Shepard: "Wrex! Do we have mawsign?"
    Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Default Re: Webcomic suggestions wanted

A path to Greater Good. If you like pixel art, but not copy/pasted Megaman/Final Fantasy comics. (I probably ought to binge it anew one of these days, I forgot most of the plot threads that are being visited right now.)

Battlepug. Pure cheese. Good art. If this page doesn't sell it to you, then probably nothing will.

The Bean. Fairly standard fantasy fare, but skillfully done. The first few pages are in color, the rest is black and white.

Cleopatra in Spaaace!. I was planning on making a thread about it once chapter 3 starts, but apparently it'll be on hiatus until next year, so nevermind. The existing two chapters are worth a read though, it's cute and fun. Personally, I was sold by the fact it's "Cleopatra in Spaaace!" rather than "Cleopatra in Space". I'd never even looked at the latter.

The Adventures of Dr. McNinja. Deadpan absurdity. Rule of cool incarnate. Very fun. Less cheesy than Battlepug, though.

Flaky Pastry. Cute and quirky.

Manly Guys Doing Manly Things. The half-botched attempts of a temp agency to reintegrate into peaceful civilian life the ridiculously macho heroes and villains of geek culture, plus some original characters.
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Questionable Content I like it. Its got lots of snarky humor, and you have going on 2k comics to read before you are caught up. Its also a hoot to watch the art evolve in front of your eyes.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

4. - Top - End - #4

DM of The Rings would be excellent, if a bit short. I read the whole thing in two days, as it now finished.
    Spoiler: This signature is a historical relic from a long-ago time of regular forum activity.
    Show
    Aww man! Even all the witty self referencing sigs are gone now!
    Excellent Avatar by CheesePirate, Awesome banners by Pink Haired August

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

Nedroid is hilarious.

MSPA, if you can get through the archive. Thought-provoking and funny.

Dresden Codak. Great art, great story.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    The Adventures of Dr. McNinja. Deadpan absurdity. Rule of cool incarnate. Very fun. Less cheesy than Battlepug, though.
    +1 for this.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

7. - Top - End - #7
    Colossus in the Playground

8-bit theatre is also a good comic. Its based off the classic final fantasy game, is funny as HELL, and its only downside is its all done, but there are hundreds of comics to read.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

How could we go three whole posts without mentioning Gunnerkrigg Court? It starts off slow, but it gets better. (Ah, the calling cry of every webcomic fan)

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    8-bit theatre is also a good comic. Its based off the classic final fantasy game, is funny as HELL, and its only downside is its all done, but there are hundreds of comics to read.
    1000+, actually.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Old Avatar by PersonalSaivor.

Ponytar by akrim.elf

Quote Originally Posted by The Lost Eyeball
    Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

9. - Top - End - #9

Shortpacked and Dumbing of Age are both good and update regularly. There's also It's Walky. That comic is finished, but Shortpacked takes place in the same universe a bit later in continuity, while Dumbing of Age is in an alternate reality with a lot of the same characters.
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

10. - Top - End - #10
    Barbarian in the Playground

pretty much anything that has a thread in this forum (and - although a lot of people will soon post here just to say that they hate it - i include Dominic Deegan in that recommendation).
    also, College Roomies from Hell.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fion MacCumhail View Post
    (and - although a lot of people will soon post here just to say that they hate it - i include Dominic Deegan in that recommendation).
    Yes, join us in our criticism of bad artwork, inconsistency, and entire weeks of filler comics!

Seriously, it's fun.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2011-07-11 at 07:31 PM.
    My Steam profile

12. - Top - End - #12

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftmongoose View Post
    Yes, join us in our criticism of bad artwork, inconsistency, and entire weeks of filler comics!

Seriously, it's fun.
    Fun, soul-crushing, more or less the same thing.

also, College Roomies from Hell.
    I'm gonna go ahead and caution you against this one too, but that's more personal opinion speaking, so it's your call.
    Last edited by TheLaughingMan; 2011-07-11 at 08:58 PM.
    Previous Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

Old Avatar by PersonalSaivor.

Ponytar by akrim.elf

Quote Originally Posted by The Lost Eyeball
    Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

13. - Top - End - #13

Quote Originally Posted by TheLaughingMan View Post
    You could almost call it Science!
    If my text is blue, I'm being sarcastic.But you already knew that, right?

14. - Top - End - #14

Quote Originally Posted by Seerow View Post
    Shortpacked and Dumbing of Age are both good and update regularly. There's also It's Walky. That comic is finished, but Shortpacked takes place in the same universe a bit later in continuity, while Dumbing of Age is in an alternate reality with all of the same characters.
    Fixed that for you. Noteworthy in that It's Walky is about an agency fighting off alien invasion and Dumbing of Age is just a simple look at people in college yet finds a way to recycle all of the characters from both it and Shortpacked. Some haven't shown up yet technically, but oh they will (in some way or another).
    Last edited by BiblioRook; 2011-07-12 at 01:41 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

...Digging through suggestions. Thank you!

Flaky Pastry I really like so far. Dr McNinja seems fun, will dig it through later.

Cleopatra in Space looks like it's worth reading a few and see if I stick with it.

Wrex: "Shepard, we have mawsign the likes of which even Reapers have never seen!"

16. - Top - End - #16

I dare to say that Dr.Mcninja is my favourite webcomic of all time, and one of my favourite comics of all time, non webcomic included. Great art, tight writing, and such.

Most people think about "randomness for the sake of randomness, woo!" when they heard about Dr. McNinja, and that stops some people from reading it, but it's actually quite tightly written, at least the later ones. It's not Axe Cop. It's less random than a lot of sprite comics. It's just, the universe runs in rule of cool, like how OotS universe runs in rules of DnD.
    You got Magic Mech in My Police Procedural!
    In this forum, Gaming is Serious Business, and Anyone Can Die. Not even your status as the Ensemble Darkhorse can guarantee your survival.

Disciple of GITP Trope-Fu Temple And Captain of GITP Valkyrie Squadron.
    Spoiler
    Show

The OTP in the playground.
    Awesome Elizabeth Shelley by Hollamer
    My Gallery/My Star Wolves 3 LP

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

...On a related note, how do I go about to have a "party" with Zii and Zintiel?

Ahem.

Forget that I asked.
    Last edited by Avilan the Grey; 2011-07-12 at 05:02 AM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheLaughingMan View Post
    Maybe "something to do when you're bored" would be better.
    My Steam profile

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Tired of looking up detailed rules?
    Looking for a simple universal system that doesn't sacrifice creativity?
    Always wanted vaguely art-deco character sheets?

[Try 2d6]

20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

No one has mentioned Schlock Mercenary yet? Seriously? Harder-than-usual-for-webcomics science fiction? Interesting characters (although the titular one can be a bit too mary-suey sometimes), daily updates?
    Brewing a new setting (3.5 ed D&D). The setting is complete and ready to play.
    Indeed, here is the recruitment thread for the first run.
    The above post was probably snide, snippy, tongue in cheek and/or opinionated. Consult your sense of humour before vexation. If still vexed, attempt to cease giving a damn. Thank you for reading this public service bulletin.

21. - Top - End - #21

The ones I check regularly are:

Unsounded
    Ultimately, I like this one because it's right up my alley genre-wise. I think the creator can be overwrought when it comes to dialogue, and I don't actually like the apparent main characters all that much, but the world this comic details is so elaborate and fantastic it would be a crime not to read it. It helps that it's of a high quality and has very regular updates.
    The Meek
    This is another fantasy epic, but it's quite different to Unsounded. I want to say a lot of things about The Meek, but for me it all comes down to: read Chapter 2. That was what sold me on it. This updates slowly, but I don't think I'll ever stop reading it. It really drew me in.
    Cucumber Quest
    A humorous, wacky, parodical fantasy adventure story with an adorable art style. I haven't been reading this one for very long (it hasn't been going for very long), but I'm already a big fan.
    Vattu
    Evan Dahm is a great storyteller. He has already finished two sprawling epics with Rice Boy and Order of Tales. Vattu is set in the same world as these previous comics and is shaping up to be the best yet. In the same way as I find the worldbuilding in Unsounded impressive, I really enjoy exploring the world of Overside.
    MS Paint Adventures
    This is very well-known, so I'm not sure how much I can say about it. It's all sorts of things. I was recommended this by a friend, and I wasn't too into it until I got to the page - WV: Ascend, which really sold me on the concept. It uses the potential of being a webcomic very well.
    Nedroid
    The most hilarious gag comic online, IMO.
    Hark, a Vagrant
    I enjoy lame historical jokes sometimes. If you think you might, read this.
    Gunshow
    I like KC Green's weird sense of humour and some of the strips really appeal to me. Others don't, but I greatly enjoy it overall. NSFW, I suppose.
    The Abominable Charles Christopher
    I'm not sure about this one. The art is fantastic and the central narrative is compelling, but the cutaway woodland strips do not appeal to me so much. The art and the Epic of Gilgamesh-overtones keep me reading this one, and to someone who rates the one-off strips more highly it'd probably be much better.
    Penny Arcade
    This is another standout I probably don't need to elaborate on. Sometimes I think I only read it out of habit these days, but then another strip comes along and reminds me of why it appealed to me so much in the first place. Game-orientated, it has become markedly more nerd culture and roleplaying-orientated as it has progressed. I think I prefer the creators occasional flight of fancy strip to all of those though.
    Last edited by Myshlaevsky; 2011-07-24 at 06:33 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Concerned: The Life and death of Gordon Frohman
    Sure, it's been over for a few years, but it is HILARIOUS!

Dr McNinja
    The adventures of a doctor/ninja with a gunslinger sidekick who rides a raptor, fights a guy named King Radical, and cures a boy of a disease that turns him into a giant lumberjack. It's absurdness makes it even better
    Artifical intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerd View Post
    Strike me down and I'll clean the floor faster than you can imagine

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maxios View Post
    Dr McNinja
    The adventures of a doctor/ninja with a gunslinger sidekick who rides a raptor, fights a guy named King Radical, and cures a boy of a disease that turns him into a giant lumberjack. It's absurdness makes it even better
    Currently, he's time-traveled to the grimdark future 20 years later when the world is run over by sentient dinosaurs and Google is a robot with a clipboard.
    My Steam profile

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGuy

Let's see if I can add anything to what's already been said...

Hark, A Vagrant is famous for its historical parodies which are frankly quite well-done. It's quasi-educational and very entertaining. I read it all the time!

Shortpacked is pretty good. The toy-based humor is very author-appeal-specific, but it can be damn funny if you know what he's talking about, and the characters have surprisingly grown on me.

Skin Horse is by the great Shaenon Garrity (and co-author Jeff Channing). It's about government social workers whose job is to find homes and naturalize all the sentient monsters, experiments and other people who were created by mad scientists in America. Their field team leader is a talking dog and her second in command is a solider/psychiatrist who wears women's clothing and is a total cassanova. That should tell you a lot about this comic. It's fun to read!

I read The Dragon Doctors all the time too, but I kind of have to, since I write it. It's about magical doctors, 2,000 years in the future, curing weird ailments and having adventures. If you like all the comics on your list you'll probably like this one, but please excuse my hideous art in the first chapters.

Girls With Slingshots is just plain fun to read; even though it's a slice-of-weird-life comic, it feels so vibrant and interesting. I was hooked on the characters almost immediately. (Fun moment: Strip laser tag. Don't think about how that would work, just roll with it.)
    Last edited by Speedball; 2011-07-25 at 01:34 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Sinfest. Currently, my favourite. Zany humor, great characters and daily updates help a lot. You have ten thousand+ strips to go through before getting to the end and before you do, there will be a good number of new ones. And it doesn't show signs of stopping, which I extremely grateful for.

Unspeakable Vault. Parody of Cthulhu mythos. Very amusing.

Nodwick. Classic, way back from Dragon magazine.

Slightly Damned. Very... cute. I like it. Give it a shot, is the best I can say.

Pawn. Highly NSFW, but very good and amusing read. Updated just today, but otherwise very slow updates. Drawn by the guy of "bard" series. Fredrick something.

Cheer. Almost dead, though it did update just a week or so back, so not totally there.

Chopping Block. Lee seems to have quit again, since there hasn't been updates ever since February. However, the archive is vast and it's a good, if somewhat morbid read at times. I dare say this one falls under NSFW category as well, but if the humor within is your cup of tea, you'll love it. I know I do.

Fredo & Pidjin. A story of two evil pigeons who try to take over the world and fail more often than not. What more needs to be said?
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

I'll second the 8-Bit Theater recommendation, but also suggest Bob and George. It's over now, but that just means you don't have to wait for updates. (unless you're waiting for updates on the strip-by-strip commentary, which he's pretty slow at doing)

27. - Top - End - #27

I'll second Bob and George. I discovered them back in their first year, and my morning ritual for several years was wake up, check bob and george, check 8 bit, go to the bathroom.

If you go to the Fan Comics forum under arts and crafts here, theres a lot of good Fan Comics as well (ie, the art style simulates Order of the Stick.

I'd heartily suggest , Murphy's Law , its one of my favorite of any comic.

Also, not to be self referential, but I enjoyed anti-Heroes even before I took over as the writer for it.
    Writer, editor. See my works at http://theleakingpen.net

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by leakingpen View Post
    Also, not to be self referential, but I enjoyed anti-Heroes even before I took over as the writer for it.
    You could have said "I liked the webcomic so much, I took over it".
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Icedaemon View Post
    No one has mentioned Schlock Mercenary yet? Seriously? Harder-than-usual-for-webcomics science fiction? Interesting characters (although the titular one can be a bit too mary-suey sometimes), daily updates?
    Beats me. I mean, who wouldn't like antimatter fireworks, intergalactic conflicts, technobabble and really good writing. Plus: daily updates for over 11 years without a single slip-up (the biggest one was a few hour long delay due to severe server crash).

Freefall is worth checking. It's a SF comic about a happy-go-lucky alien and his genetically engineered engineer. Expect wacky antics, nonintrusive yet accurate physics, philosophy and sociology concerning artificial inteligence. Also: Doggy!

Bibliography is quite interesting as well. It's mostly a well written Shōnen manga with books as the main theme (as if you didn't figure that out from the title). New pages are often available faster through the Bibliography thread here on GiTP forum.

Supernormal Steps is fairly well written and well drawn. Story looks quite promising so far.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfPirate

This is a webcomic I've been working on:
    http://herestolifecomics.tumblr.com/