New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default What era does "The dark is Rising"(2nd book of the series) take place in?

As the title suggests, i was re-reading some of my old books, and began the "The Dark is Rising" series.. after having finished Over Sea Under Stone I began on The Dark is Rising, and wondering what era it was set in.. at first I thought early to mid 1800s.. until the subject of radios came up..
    after that I also noticed mention of the father's van, and later on even a television..

would late 1960s to 1971(given that it was likely written in 1972, and finally published in 1973) be an accurate assumption to make given these aspects?
    Last edited by Togath; 2013-05-24 at 01:23 AM.
    Meow(Steam page)
    [I]"If you are far from this regions, there is a case what the game playing can not be comfortable.["/I]

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: What era does "The dark is Rising"(2nd book of the series) take place in?

Quote Originally Posted by Togath View Post
    As the title suggests, i was re-reading some of my old books, and began the "The Dark is Rising" series.. after having finished Over Sea Under Stone I began on The Dark is Rising, and wondering what era it was set in.. at first I thought early to mid 1800s.. until the subject of radios came up..
    after that I also noticed mention of the father's van, and later on even a television..

would late 1960s to 1971(given that it was likely written in 1972, and finally published in 1973) be an accurate assumption to make given these aspects?
    Been ages since I read them, but I very much remember thinking they were contemporary. That would have been in the 70s/early 80s, so I think it is reasonable to assume that you've got the right of it.

- M
    No matter where you go...there you are!

Holhokki Tapio - GitP Blood Bowl New Era Season I Champion
    Togashi Ishi - Betrayal at the White Temple
    Da Monsters of Da Midden - GitP Blood Bowl Manager Cup Season V-VI-VII