New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion VI: Ascendancy Mantle of the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    There is another difference, though. Alchemicals are reliant on part of humanity for their charms and such. The same can't be said for Creation-exalts.
    And the fact the role Alchemicals are in is one that serves the rest of humanity in Autochtonia, while Creation-Exalts are all supposed to be above mortals in the hierarchy.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Volt View Post
    And the fact the role Alchemicals are in is one that serves the rest of humanity in Autochtonia, while Creation-Exalts are all supposed to be above mortals in the hierarchy.
    That would be the whole mandate of heaven thing, though.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

3. - Top - End - #303
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, but that's at least partly because it's enforced on them by the curiosities of the alchemical condition and because alchemicals who try to bypass that system wind up having suspicious accidents which cannot possibly be attributed to the clearly non-existent Adamant caste.

There was a Cabal of alchemicals who tried to rule early on and all wound up dead, and one of the first Alchemicals had solar memories and thought that he could run Autochthonia the same way.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Troll in the Playground

So we need to make an exalt type in Creation that resonates with Adamant.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    Nocturnals, duh. They're really awesome.

Also, if anyone here is on G+ there's a pretty cool community there already, and TDO posts some cool stuff every now and then.

~

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

I personally like to suggest whoever's responsible for the Oversight Committee, but I wish they were more proactive. Unless they're behind the Usurpation and/or some other celestial deaths which have never really had adequate explanation.

I do have to admit the idea that the sidereals are somebody else's puppets really appeals.

Also, people keep referencing nocturnals but I haven't read the fan supplement. Anyone willing to give me a rundown of the highlights?
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

7. - Top - End - #307
    Troll in the Playground

Jailers of the Underworld.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #308
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    I personally like to suggest whoever's responsible for the Oversight Committee, but I wish they were more proactive. Unless they're behind the Usurpation and/or some other celestial deaths which have never really had adequate explanation.

I do have to admit the idea that the sidereals are somebody else's puppets really appeals.

Also, people keep referencing nocturnals but I haven't read the fan supplement. Anyone willing to give me a rundown of the highlights?
    Basically, Nox was a casualty before the Primordial War because the other Incarnae were unsure which side he would take. Autochthon placed the Curse of Subservience on the Nocturnals, transforming the Heralds into the Harlequins. There are still some Heralds left that don't have the curse, but they are meant to be NPCs. They have Attribute based charms like Lunars and Alchemicals, and some really awesome charms. They also get Fluctuations, which are shaping effects.

There's also really awesome fluff on the Firmament (the sky) and the Kalpa, which is the collection of all Manvantaras, which are alternate realities.

Basically, really sweet. Take the time to read it.

edit:
    Jailers of the Underworld.
    No, not really, at all, seeing as they were creating pre-PW and have no themes of death, or anything related to the Underworld.

~
    Last edited by Qaera; 2011-08-03 at 02:40 PM.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Ogre in the Playground

Why?

Seriously, what's the point? Adamant is useful as a magic-conducting clear material. No need to do more with it.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DeadManSleeping View Post
    Why?

Seriously, what's the point? Adamant is useful as a magic-conducting clear material. No need to do more with it.
    The discussion was why, in many ways, Autochthon's Exalts are more stable than others. One of the big reasons is that they aren't, really, but that they have a secret police exalt type that watches over them; the Adamant caste. Thus, one thing to help Creations exalts would be to make an analog to the adamant caste.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    Satomi by Elagune

11. - Top - End - #311
    Troll in the Playground

Why?

Did you read the quote chain that the post is in reply to? If not, go back and read it...
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #312
    Bugbear in the Playground

Still waiting on that Gossamer type, too.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Ogre in the Playground

Did you read the quote chain that the post is in reply to? If not, go back and read it...
    Okay.

Nope, your post still doesn't really carry as a logical extension. Maybe if you meant 'Creation needs a Caste of Exalts to police the other Exalts', but that's not what you said.

Fun fact: That was kind of what the Sidereals were supposed to do. Thus 'Viziers'. Look how that turned out.

It's possible that, if the Exalts started at a position subservient to mortals, the policing would work, but they didn't. And it'd take something way more catastrophic than the Usurpation to change it around.

Which, I suppose, is certainly ONE possible outcome of the Locust Crusade.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Gensh View Post
    That's Fair Folk. Well, kinda. But, Gossamer isn't a magical material, so I don't think it really counts.
    Okay.

Nope, your post still doesn't really carry as a logical extension. Maybe if you meant 'Creation needs a Caste of Exalts to police the other Exalts', but that's not what you said.

Fun fact: That was kind of what the Sidereals were supposed to do. Thus 'Viziers'. Look how that turned out.

It's possible that, if the Exalts started at a position subservient to mortals, the policing would work, but they didn't. And it'd take something way more catastrophic than the Usurpation to change it around.

Which, I suppose, is certainly ONE possible outcome of the Locust Crusade.
    Except it is a logical extension if you put it into place; the idea is that if Creation's Exalts were more like Autochthon's exalts, there wouldn't be as many problems. One of the issues identified was the creation ruling mandate, but another is that they have a whole caste of exalts who's primary purpose is to ride herd over the other castes. This caste resonates with Adamant. Thus, logically, saying Creation could use an adamant exalt makes some amount of sense.

Also, Sidereals aren't really meant to be the secret police. They're advisers, yes, but if you notice they're in a position subordinate to Solars. Adamant Caste Exalts aren't even in the same power structure as normal Alchemicals.
    Satomi by Elagune

15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground

Why?

...because it's a plot hook?
    Because it could be cool?
    Because we crave patterns, and leaving a magical material without an exalt offends our sensibilities?
    Recent Homebrew: The Socialite | The Crystalline: Memory Altering Construct Race | Sanguine Hand, a ToB Discipline of blood and cruelty
    Homebrew Signature | NEW Homebrew Collection
    Thanks to all my avatar artists, especially to Paisley for my avatar of Vivian, cowardly cryophoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    It's like the feng shui version of an orbital death laser.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lix Lorn View Post
    ...because it's a plot hook?
    And we all know Creation lacks those. I mean, I'm sure there's at least a single entry SOMEWHERE in the entire Exalted canon that doesn't contain something that's supposed to be a plot hook. No, seriously, it gets annoying to read when you get to the end of a paragraph and it's all HEY LOOK AT THIS THING ISN'T IT AN INTERESTING LOOSE END WINK WINK

Sidereals were never placed officially in Creation's power structure. The US bound the Lunars to the Solars, and Gaia stuck the DBs under them, but the Maidens gave the Sidereals their own thing to do. They work on a different plane of existence, even. Perhaps their direction was more visible, but they were definitely not reporting to the rest of the Exalted. They have always reported to Fate.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Titan in the Playground

Except not; the Solars were superior to the Sidereals. The Sidereals were advisers to the Solars: it's noted in several sections that the only time a Sidereal was considered the master of a solar was if that Sidereal was teaching him or her Sidereal Martial Arts.
    Satomi by Elagune

18. - Top - End - #318

Ligier/Jacint for President 2012!
    That sounds way more plausible than it should. We need to make that fic-political campaign happen.

You mean the Raksha? They've already been written.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

19. - Top - End - #319
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    That sounds way more plausible than it should. We need to make that fic-political campaign happen.
    Start a PAC woot!

Also the Lunar Bond is being redid. Expect something else in 2.5!

~

20. - Top - End - #320
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    Except not; the Solars were superior to the Sidereals. The Sidereals were advisers to the Solars: it's noted in several sections that the only time a Sidereal was considered the master of a solar was if that Sidereal was teaching him or her Sidereal Martial Arts.
    Not having to obey someone's orders doesn't make you superior to them. In fact, it's a common result of not being in the same power structure.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    "Ligier Greenson for 2012"?

Activate Sloganizer link:

22. - Top - End - #322
    Banned

"Vote for me, and you won't get Green Sun Nimbus Flared. That's not a guarantee."

~

23. - Top - End - #323

Quote Originally Posted by AThousandWords View Post
    "Vote for me, and you won't get Green Sun Nimbus Flared. That's not a guarantee."
    Considering that it costs him a permanent dot of Willpower to use Green Sun Nimbus Flare for a scene, it actually is pretty much a guarantee.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2011-08-03 at 07:59 PM.

24. - Top - End - #324
    Titan in the Playground

Not having to obey someone's orders doesn't make you superior to them. In fact, it's a common result of not being in the same power structure.
    Again, pretty much all the material I've read puts the Sidereals as advisers to the Solars. Their job with fate was their own, but they were also subordinate to the Solar. Same as the Lunars and Dragon-blooded.
    Satomi by Elagune

25. - Top - End - #325
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    Considering that it costs him a permanent dot of Willpower to use Green Sun Nimbus Flare for a scene, it actually is pretty much a guarantee.
    Maybe he didn't mean the Malfeas charm. Maybe he meant the Green Sun literally flaring his nimbus at someone. It's a fine distinction, I guess.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Troll in the Playground

I sort of figured he meant "I won't have a friendly neighborhood Infernal Green Sun Nimbus Flare you," what with voters (maybe) being in Creation and all.
    Rider avatar by Elder Tsofu

27. - Top - End - #327
    Troll in the Playground

Vote for me and I won't unleash my Infernal with Untamed Apocalypse Shintai.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #328

Vote for me and I won't force you to look up the Mass Combat rules.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2011-08-03 at 08:46 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

29. - Top - End - #329
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Guancyto View Post
    I sort of figured he meant "I won't have a friendly neighborhood Infernal Green Sun Nimbus Flare you," what with voters (maybe) being in Creation and all.
    Yeah, uh, this is what I was going for.

~ ♅

30. - Top - End - #330

Quote Originally Posted by AThousandWords View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    Maybe he didn't mean the Malfeas charm. Maybe he meant the Green Sun literally flaring his nimbus at someone. It's a fine distinction, I guess.
    Yeah, uh, this is what I was going for.
    Yeah, sure, that's why you used capitals, right? To indicate non-Charm terminology? Sure, okay.

My vote's with Recaiden, either way.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2011-08-03 at 08:40 PM.