New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion VI: Ascendancy Mantle of the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    What about the option of playing a Beguiler Beguiler? Or an anthropomorphic bear werebear bear totem barbarian/bearlord/bear warrior?
    I have to assume the latter was a deliberate design choice.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

Well duh, everything is better with bears. Except sports teams. And I say this coming from a family that supports the Cubs and Bears.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

Or an anthropomorphic bear werebear bear totem barbarian/bearlord/bear warrior?
    Okay, I really want to do this now. So much.

Maybe multiclass to druid to get a bear animal companion. Or, even better, gestalt.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

Or just a Lunar with a Bear-Totem...
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #95
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    Or just a Lunar with a Bear-Totem...
    Eh, probably better to wait 'til the errata's done.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Troll in the Playground

I was operating under the assumption that DMS wanted to play this before the heat death of the universe.

Wait, no, that's the scheduled release date for Sidereal errata, not the Lunar one.
    Last edited by Drascin; 2011-07-21 at 02:15 PM.

7. - Top - End - #97

Quote Originally Posted by Drascin View Post
    I was operating under the assumption that DMS wanted to play this before the heat death of the universe.

Wait, no, that's the scheduled release date for Sidereal errata, not the Lunar one.
    Wait, we'll get Sidereal errata when the heat death of the universe occurs?

All right, I've got a plan. It involves using a lot of necromancy...

8. - Top - End - #98
    Bugbear in the Playground

Full power Devil-Tiger whose themes include bearing things. All his third circle devas are different varieties of bear, each of which produce second circle souls of the same species, who produce an unlimited number of intelligent first circle bears. He also has a bear familiar, a bear-shaped warstrider, and used Scoured Perfection of Form to become the Cecelynian equivalent of a polar bear.

I'm sure someone else can add to this.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

His favorite food is the bear claw.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

His Lunar mate has a bear totem.

And if it hadn't been eratta'd, he could actually be a bear.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

11. - Top - End - #101
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

The bear puns have become infectious across game systems now? I don't think I can bear to watch.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Banned

I agree, it's unboarable. Isidoros is always relevant.

~

13. - Top - End - #103

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    His Lunar mate has a bear totem.

And if it hadn't been eratta'd, he could actually be a bear.
    Can't his lunar mate be his parent and he be a bearfolk?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    Look, I know White Wolf has a ton of very vocal fanboys, but the companies really are as bad as each other.
    As much as it pains me to do so, I actually respect Wotc's game designers slightly more than White Wolf's. It's ludicrous I know, and I'm already tasting blood in my mouth, but let me continue with 'why'.

From what I can tell, the D&D design team's philosophy is "We are going to make a tactical fighting game with the main focus being on getting people to buy as many of our books as possible so we make lots of money, and then call it a Roleplaying Game."

This is what they have done.

From what I can tell, the WW design team's philosophy is "We are going to make a series of games with rich, compelling settings, and create a roleplaying game with mechanics focused on intuitively generating stories that fit into those settings."

They have not done this. They've made a fighting game with the barest (often counter-intuitive) attempts at roleplaying mechanics, and called it the "Storyteller System".

Both of them fail in my eyes. But at least WotC knows what it's doing. I don't expect either of them to churn out Luke Crane quality stuff, but I have to shake my head when I see dudes throwing together their little indie game in Microsoft Word and printing it out in stapled booklets at kinkos that have vastly more compelling roleplaying and storytelling mechanics than anything I've seen from White Wolf.

If they aren't going to make a game with mechanics focused on collaborative storytelling, that's fine. But then they shouldn't pretend that that is what they're doing.

Settings are still good, though.

Quote Originally Posted by AThousandWords View Post
    I agree, it's unboarable.
    That should really be the Exalted animal meme of choice. Reposting for great justice.

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #105
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonus45 View Post
    So im going to be beginning my first ever exalted game in a few weeks, just made my guy yesterday and im going over some of his stuff. Im trying to make a social combat whiz, with archery for those occasions i cant talk anyone out of fighting. Any hints for what might be useful, right now im flailing around when picking my charms and abilities. 2nd edition btw.

Ignore me. Or don't.

Get a Grace! Cup 1 just costs one bp, and as an Eclipse you can get lots of extra goodies out of it later on. In fact, actively consider Ring (for unlimited Terrestrial+ Sorcery) or Sword (mutations, bonus attributes, extra specializations) instead.

Pick up the standard Solar Dodge charms, because they are perfects.

Get some of the following:

The Snazzy Hat

A truly wonderful hat that sets off its wearer's looks just right, the Snazzy hat is born from the dreams of a troubadour who managed to sing his way into marriage to twelve princesses. At the same time. And get them to agree to it afterward. Sadly, while he was a cunning linguist, his stamina was not quite up to the effort, and so the Fair Folk reclaimed what was left of his soul and turned it into the Hat. Now, those who are honored with its ownership find it a most useful blessing...

1-dot Inward-Facing Oneiromancy (1-dot artifact, 3 committed motes)
    Assumption of Dreams and Passion (Love)
    Beguilement: all your social attacks are UMI, and cost an extra willpower to resist.
    Untouchable Performer Technique: it's nearly impossible for other people to create ill will towards you. Even if you're busy seducing their daughters in public.
    Fall of Night Shadows the Truth: any seduction attempts you are involved in will be concealed from the public at large. No matter how much UMI gets tossed around, or clothes are discarded. This effect explicitly fails on anyone you've already seduced (though they are welcome to join in).

The Hungry Bow

Crafted when a hunter went too deep into the Wyld and was consumed by the very notion of hunting, the Bow is a powerful weapon that will aid its owner so long as it is fed. The Bow is aware in its own, alien, way and desires nothing more than to hunt for ever... Those who abandon it find themselves the targets of its next attempts.

2-dot Behemoth (2-dot artifact, 6 committed motes)
    Assumption of Earth Form - an aware metal bow that can perceive things even in the most absolute darkness.
    Luminous Exhalation - it has unlimited mundane ammunition
    Hundred Hand Style - it can fire at an incredible rate
    Armament of Flesh - it is extremely accurate
    Knife Hand Dream - if its owner is powerful enough (Essence 3+), it inflicts massive damage. The most dangerous wielders (Essence 5+) learn to release bolts of raw destructive chaos, inflicting Aggravated damage.

Weapon attributes: Speed 6, Accuracy +(1 + Essence) (max +5), Rate 5, Range 250. At Essence 3-4, does +5 damage. At Essence 5, does +6A damage. No Strength limit (or 8, effectively).

The Crown of Mud

When a powerful Earth Elemental was drawn to a disruption in the West, it was captured and bound within a seething Wyld pocket. Breaking free from this strange realm took much of its power, and it could not help but be remade by the rose loving Raksha within. Though much of its nature was lost, it held onto its purpose - protection - and something of its essence, though it was now an inanimate crown. Since, the Fair Folk have employed it in their raids, relying on the barriers it erects to protect them from danger. The Crown is not truly aware, however, so it only defends those close to it - if they wear rose themed insignia.

1-dot Outward Facing Oneiromancy (1 dot artifact, 3 committed motes)
    Assumption of Water Form - a crown made of mud that somehow remains in crown form, even when dunked underwater.
    World Angering Elemental Mastery *2 - barriers of mud form to protect anyone wearing a rose pattern from others (two rose bearers are not warded from one another) - this causes an internal penalty of (Essence) to Melee and Thrown attacks. At Essence 4+, the penalty becomes an external penalty instead. Archery occurs at too great a range for the Crown to detect the incoming threats, while Martial Arts are too close for mud barriers to serve as obstacles.
    World Angering Elemental Mastery - the ground slips beneath the feet of those who try to defend themselves from the blows of a rose bearer, causing an internal penalty of (Essence) to their Dodge rolls - this is augmented to an external penalty at Essence 4+.

There. Social fun, a potent archery weapon (which can fire on its own, with your Attribute + Ability but no Charms), and a way to contribute to combat by helping your allies fight better. Costs 5 bp for the whole package.

Oh, and for the rest: an Oneiromancy with Bear Transformation and whatever else you want means that everyone in the area of effect who triggers it (by, say, not snuffling and grunting the way a bear would) is turned into a bear. This can affect small countries.
    Last edited by meschlum; 2011-07-22 at 01:53 AM.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

Or an anthropomorphic bear werebear bear totem barbarian/bearlord/bear warrior ?
    Named Winnie ?

P.S. Thanks Meschlum.Just for the fact You exist.
    Last edited by Rikandur Azebol; 2011-07-23 at 10:11 AM.
    Youth and strenght alvays lose to age and treachery.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Titan in the Playground

hey everyone. got Alchemicals recently. I've the read the 'no Colossus and Municipal charms because of no space' and I thought ho myself: this would not do.

Colossus Charms:

Lightweight Chassis Modification
    Req: Dexterity 5, Essence 6
    Keywords: Colossus
    By default, Essence 6 Alchemicals have the same statuses as a common warstrider. This charm however modifies their bodies to become more lightweight, smaller and more maneuverable, switching them to the statuses of a Scout Warstrider. The switch takes a week to be completed. The Alchemical can switch back but this also takes a week.

Exquisite Chassis Reconfiguration
    Req: Stamina 6, Essence 7
    By default, Essence 7 Alchemical have the same statuses as a noble warstrider. This charm however modifies their bodies to either be perfected to its maximum potential, thus becoming like a Royal Warstrider, or for its strength and armor to be enhanced beyond what is normally possible, becoming like a colossus Warstrider. Unlike Lightweight Chassis Modification, switches between these three forms take two weeks to be completed.

Animating Intelligence Imitation
    Req: Intelligence 6, Essence 6 or 7
    This charm allows the Alchemical to take AI charms.

Ancillary System Integration
    Req: Stamina 5, Essence 6
    This charm allows Alchemicals to install ancillary warstrider systems as if they were a warstrider.

Nervous System Enhancement
    Req: Dexterity 5, Essence 6
    Keyords: Colossus
    This charm gives the Alchemical a moonsilver nervous system of wires, removing the mobility penalty normally associated with warstriders
    Submodule:
    Internal Musculature Upgrade, Strength 5, 5 exp.
    This charm enhances the Alchemicals colussus' muscles, removing the fatigue penalty normally associate with warstriders.

Transorganic Animalistic Alteration
    Req: Appearance 5, Essence 6
    While the default form of Colossuses are humanoid, some prefer to alter their bodies into giant versions of animals or some other form. The Storyteller decides what bonuses they gain depending upon the form they choose to be altered into. These changes take two weeks to complete, and you must purchase this charm again for new forms aside from the default and second form, with the experience cost doubling each time beyond the first purchase, as the nations of Autocthonia dislike wasting resources upon different forms for an Alchemical.

and some Municipal Charms:

Protective Surveillance Cameras
    Req: Perception 6, Essence 8
    Keywords: Municipal
    The ever watchful eye of the Tripartite only exists to protect its citizens, and makes sure to be as thorough as possible in being everywhere to do that, even in their homes. The Alchemical knows almost everything that happens with in its boundaries and thus it anyone trying to hide anything from the Alchemical within itself is a Difficulty 4 action requiring a (Wits+Larceny) roll, at Essence 10 this becomes a Difficulty 5 action.
    Submodule:
    Invisibility Detection, 6 exp.
    The Alchemical can even see through invisibility, all the better for the Tripartite to protect against those up to no good.

Truth-Dispensing Media of Purity
    Req: Manipulation 5, Essence 8
    Keywords: Municipal
    The patropolis of Autocthonia are experts at producing propaganda and lies to its people to better protect them from dangerous knowledge. attempts to discern the truth from lies within the patropolis- even when its shown right in front of them- become a difficulty 4 action requiring a (Perception + Insight) roll

these good? bad? so-so? or should I just stop making them?
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

18. - Top - End - #108
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Now make one that allows multiple E6+ Alchemicals to attach themselves to each other and combine.

19. - Top - End - #109
    Troll in the Playground

I don't think I like the idea of a Collosi Alchemical taking mobility and Fatigue penalties just for moving around.... And just sticking warstrider stats on them doesn't seem the best idea either.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

I don't think I like the idea of a Collosi Alchemical taking mobility and Fatigue penalties just for moving around.... And just sticking warstrider stats on them doesn't seem the best idea either.
    Especially since Alchemicals are still Exalts, and therefore should be useful and strong, while Warstriders... aren't.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

yea, but we also can't use the same stats for Colossus Alchemicals as we do for pre-E6 ones.

maybe just a charm that gives them warstrider strength and soak and nothing else instead? and since when was fun ever useful?

22. - Top - End - #112

Yeah, giving them warstrider stats straight up is not a good idea. And specifying time to change out a charm is also odd, as all Alchemical charms except Lotus and Weaving can be changed out.

AetherialDawn has a stat system and a few charms somewhere.
    His idea of 'be able to beat a warstrider without being combat focused' sounds good to me.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2011-07-23 at 08:23 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

what? no, that sounds like a bad idea, Warstriders are massive engines of destruction and power, what good are they if they die to someone who isn't even combat focused? and why are people saying Warstriders are useless? they look pretty good to me.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Orc in the Playground

Because a Warstrider is an artifact. A Colossus is an Exalt. Specifically an Exalt that sacrificed a large part of their humanity to transcend into the powerhouses that they are. Even a non-combat specced Colossus should be stronger than a measly artifact.

In addition, Warstriders are actually one of the worst artifacts in the game, as written. They actually decrease your combat ability. You know what Exalts don't need help with? Damage. You know what they always want? Accuracy. You know what defensive stat is largely useless? Soak. Do you know what defensive stat is most useful? DVs. Go check which ones the Warstrider gives bonuses to, and penalties to.

So no, Colossi should not have the same stats as a Warstrider.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    what? no, that sounds like a bad idea, Warstriders are massive engines of destruction and power, what good are they if they die to someone who isn't even combat focused? and why are people saying Warstriders are useless? they look pretty good to me.
    As written, Warstriders impose upon the user penalties to precision, mobility, and require high commitments of Essence in return for a large damage bonus. High level combat relies upon precision, mobility, and large reserves of Essence and recognizes that damage beyond the "instantly slays opponent" level is stupid and unneeded.

Even my "fix" doesn't do anything to correct this problem. My fix just makes your warstrider more interesting.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Titan in the Playground

@ Incendius: oh I thought you were talking about ordinary non-colossus Exalts beating warstriders easily, if its Colossi beating Warstriders easy I'm ok with it, that was kinda the point of my charms removing mobility and fatigue penalties anyways.

@ Kyeudo: darn.

edit: wait, what if we gave warstriders their own reserves of Essence, like say, 100 or 200 motes, removed their fatigue and mobility penalties, gave them their own health levels that add onto yours, then on top of that enhance every physical and mental attribute you have by say four or six, which is fluffed by being connected up mind and body to better control the warstriders nervous system, meaning there is a device within the warstrider that your mind and body more powerful to better control it?
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2011-07-23 at 09:59 PM.

27. - Top - End - #117

@ Incendius: oh I thought you were talking about ordinary non-colossus Exalts beating warstriders easily, if its Colossi beating Warstriders easy I'm ok with it, that was kinda the point of my charms removing mobility and fatigue penalties anyways.

@ Kyeudo: darn.

edit: wait, what if we gave warstriders their own reserves of Essence, like say, 100 or 200 motes, removed their fatigue and mobility penalties, gave them their own health levels that add onto yours, then on top of that enhance every physical and mental attribute you have by say four or six, which is fluffed by being connected up mind and body to better control the warstriders nervous system, meaning there is a device within the warstrider that your mind and body more powerful to better control it?
    That would be very powerful. It would also make little sense. Warstriders, sadly, do not seem like the kind of thing that would logically increase accuracy.
    But if that's what's needed, we could give it to them, and come up with some stupid fluff. Soak makes sense, but giving lots of hardness is also reasonable, and we could give them Bonuses to DV without being too silly fluff wise.
    Having them generate Essence and Boost, say, appearance, would be odd.
    It should give you strength. Logically, a constant high strength, but mechanically a large bonus is better and we can always say , 'hey, magic' anyway. It might give you dexterity (though not much), and it should reduce damage to you.
    Perhaps giving it its own health track that has to be gone through (barring called shots, and it even reduces damage then) and then damage to you. OR something.

I could see AIs in Noble and Royal 'striders giving mental attribute bonuses.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2011-07-23 at 10:58 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

So, here's a question, how would you go about making an Angel (from NGE) stat-wise in Exalted? About equal to a threat level for Celestials, and preferably something that can be fought without the use of warstriders..

And no, Mesch, I do not have GWM, so telling me to make a behemoth does not help. >.>'
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

bah, the day I care that things don't make sense in Exalted is the day my hair turns green.

but, we could come up explanations, simple ones. technology has targeting systems right? simply fluff the accuracy bonus as a targeting system.

thats why I said mental and physical attributes, social attributes aren't needed in warstrider combat. and it wouldn't generate essence, it would have its own rechargeable essence battery or something.

yep, its own health track they have to go through first to get to you with call shots and such sounds good.

as for dexterity, look at all the mecha anime with giant robots doing impossible stunts, some things just need a cold hard dose of Disbelief Suspension

@ Tura: unfortunately, each Angel is a unique specimen. what applies to one cannot apply to all, you can probably say make Kaworu with normal Exalt rules because he is basically just above human like an Exalt, while at the other end there is a worm thing that infected Rei and made an explosion and a giant blue bird thing that blasted a psycho-ray at Asuka and a giant suicide bomber eye thing while another took the form of a computer virus. oh and lets not forget the Angel that existed upon the ground who had a 3-D sphere hovering in the sky for a shadow.
    so yea, there wouldn't really be any rules for Angels....
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2011-07-23 at 11:18 PM.

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

as for dexterity, look at all the mecha anime with giant robots doing impossible stunts, some things just need a cold hard dose of Disbelief Suspension
    On a related note, has anyone ever statted out Shining Gundam or God/Burning Gundam?
    Thanks to Dirty Tabs for the Travis pony.

Spoiler
    Show

Thanks to A Thousand Words for the My Little Simhata avatar, and thanks to Trixie for fixing the cropping.

Breakdown Twilight from Pony Halloween celebration, thanks to Thanqol.

Thanks to Akrim.Elf for the awesome Laharl pony.