New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: General Exalted Discussion VI: Ascendancy Mantle of the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    You'd have to do a lot of explaining to small gods.
    Eh, turing complete only requires either nor, nand, or xor gates. You then just need to get the small gods to line up properly and connect to the outputs you want. It can't be that hard...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Turalisj View Post
    Question came up in my game: would crafting modern electronics fall under preexisting areas?
    One issue; Exalted doesn't work under our laws of physics. Magitech does much of the same things, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    You'd have to do a lot of explaining to small gods.
    I can only hear this as Ricky Ricardo talking to Lucy....
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    -James Graham, 1st Marquess of Montrose
    Satomi by Elagune

3. - Top - End - #183
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Just imagine trying to negotiate with the god of a computer to get it to stop blue-screening...

4. - Top - End - #184
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tavar View Post
    One issue; Exalted doesn't work under our laws of physics. Magitech does much of the same things, though.
    This is for my modern game, which for the most part does work under modern physics. Its only when someone with enough essence (at least 2) tells them to shut up and sit down does crazy **** happen.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show
    Lore: 7.

Factors: 2.

Wealth: 5

Magic: 4

Espionage: 4

Military: 2.

Faith: 6.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

Whenever I complain about physics, I invariably get the response, "Hey. The world is flat."

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

All right, so I have a Devil-Tiger in production and after some serious mental block I've finally managed to get some of his non-General Charms hammered out. I've posted him up on the White Wolf forum and gotten some feedback, but not much. If I posted him here on GiTP, would people be willing/interested in giving some critique?

7. - Top - End - #187
    Troll in the Playground

At the very least, we wouldn't be using vitriol laced weapons when we examine it.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #188
    Ogre in the Playground

You say that, but the responses I got on WW were entirely civil. Anyway, here's The Bronze-Tarnished Hawk, for anyone who feels like taking a look and offering any assistance they can.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Troll in the Playground

Proper nouns are the most important part of Exalted, and three of your Devil-Tiger's epithets begin with "He", with two of them being "He of the". I suggest some diversification. For example, instead of "He of the Sanguine Art", why not "The Sanguine Artist", or "The Artist Working In Sanguine Strokes" or something like that.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xefas View Post
    Proper nouns are the most important part of Exalted, and three of your Devil-Tiger's epithets begin with "He", with two of them being "He of the". I suggest some diversification. For example, instead of "He of the Sanguine Art", why not "The Sanguine Artist", or "The Artist Working In Sanguine Strokes" or something like that.
    Eh, he's not an artist. It's a reference to The Art, i.e. magic, though thinking about it, I don't know if sorcery is ever actually referred to as such in Exalted. That title was originally the Sorcerer Sanguine, but I went and changed it He of the Sanguine Art.

Point taken, but I do kind of like how those titles sound when rattled off together. Might add some more titles to him, possibly including his human name.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

The Bronze-Tarnished Hawk, The Fire in the Blood, Crimson Talon, He of the Sanguine Art
    Steve

I suppose it depends on what his mortal name was, really.

12. - Top - End - #192

Quote Originally Posted by Edge View Post
    Eh, he's not an artist. It's a reference to The Art, i.e. magic, though thinking about it, I don't know if sorcery is ever actually referred to as such in Exalted. That title was originally the Sorcerer Sanguine, but I went and changed it He of the Sanguine Art.

Point taken, but I do kind of like how those titles sound when rattled off together. Might add some more titles to him, possibly including his human name.
    If he practices an art, he is an artist. I don't know what to call someone who creates an art.

On the other hand, if you changed it from "He of the Bloody Talon" to "The Bloody Taloned One", that would reduce your use of "He" as a start to names.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wardog View Post
    Rockphed said it well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sam Starfall
    When your pants are full of crickets, you don't need mnemonics.
    Dragontar by Serpentine.

Now offering unsolicited advice.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Banned

Quote Originally Posted by DeadManSleeping View Post
    The Bronze-Tarnished Hawk, The Fire in the Blood, Crimson Talon, He of the Sanguine Art
    Steve

I suppose it depends on what his mortal name was, really.
    From Accounting!?!?!?!

Oh, not that Steve.

~
    Last edited by Qaera; 2011-07-30 at 11:55 PM.

14. - Top - End - #194
    Troll in the Playground

Has anyone seen my stapler? It's red.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

So, that other thread over there just reminded me of something...

Raksha can learn supernatural martial arts, provided they have a tutor, up to the Celestial level. Okay, makes sense that they'd need a tutor - supernatural martial arts kinda hinges on Creation and its principles.

Mountain Folk, who are Raksha who have been calcified but brought back to life by Autochthon (basically), cannot learn supernatural martial arts at all - mortals are better at it than they are. Huh?
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

16. - Top - End - #196
    Troll in the Playground

They are dwarves and don't need no kung fu. Dey gots dem dere cannons.
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #197
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    Mountain Folk, who are Raksha who have been calcified but brought back to life by Autochthon (basically), cannot learn supernatural martial arts at all - mortals are better at it than they are. Huh?
    I don't know much about Mountain Folk, but it seems possible that Autochthon may have intentionally hobbled them. 'cause, y'know, Autochthon.

18. - Top - End - #198

Might that be part of the Geas? In which case we can blame the first age solars. Or perhaps the calcifying/revivifying messed up the supernatural arts part, especially given that it was Autocthon. After all, Alchemicals can't learn them at all without a charm.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

19. - Top - End - #199
    Bugbear in the Playground

Having downloaded the Exalted second edition core rules on free RPG day over a year I haven't really taken much time to read through it very much. Mostly the the caste and charm descriptions. I generally find the Storyteller system hard to follow. Also, from what I gather the fragility of player characters and utter neccesity of perfect defenses tend to slow down combat and make less interesting than it should be.

So I'm not going to use the actual system but instead take certain elements as something of an Exalted hack. Basically the Exalt types/castes, the magical metals, maybe hearthstones but definitely the Manses and Demenses. What I'd like help with are the descriptions of each Solar caste in this Exalted hack. I have blurbs for two out of the five but I think they're rather lacking and I'm drawing blanks for both the Eclipse, Twilight and Zenith castes. These are the, in my opinion, lackluster flavor texts I produced for the Dawn, Twilight and Night castes.

Dawn
    As the rising sun brings an end to the dark of night, so does a warrior of the Dawn caste put down fear and wickedness. Whether he perfers to fight with swords, axes, bows or even firearms doesn't matter, he is a warrior of the Sun and all foes shall tremble before him. With super-human might and agility the Dawn warrior crushes his foes and leaves them scattered before him.

Night
    Night as much as day should be a safe and peaceful time. Alas as night falls all matter of depraved individuals crawl out of hiding, preying upon the weak and powerless. For ths very reason the forces of justice retain their own agents, thieves and assassins dedicated to striking at the corrupt. Whatever their background all Night castes are masters of subterfuge and deception, most often aimed against the wicked. Members of the Night caste are also called Hidden Suns, Concealing Shadows, Nightbringers, Iron Wolves or Daggers of Heaven
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Mann View Post
    It's worse than the time some friends used a silver piece, a platinum piece, a delayed blast fireball and a scroll of passwall to make a nuclear explosion in a game...
    Quote Originally Posted by nagora View Post
    Chatter is usually a sign that it's time to break out the Lego pirates and start firing marbles at each other's ships instead of role playing. Some nights, we're just not in the mood!
    My fantasy/RPG blog A Voyage Into the Fantastic

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's a function of the Geas, as before they were said to have fought brilliantly, but each in their own style.
    He fears his fate too much, and his reward is small, who will not put it to the touch, to win or lose it all.
    Satomi by Elagune

21. - Top - End - #201
    Barbarian in the Playground

Actually, that bit isn't the Geas.(Pretty sure the Artisan caste is just as powerful as they ever were. It's the rest who are not.) It's explained as being for the same reason Alchemicals can't usu martial arts without a charm: their essence is the complete opposite of the wyld creatures they were made from. They are too rigidly organized to understand the less structured charms martial arts represent. On a side note: That same extreme rigidity of their essence is why eclipses cannot learn their higher essence charms.

22. - Top - End - #202
    Titan in the Playground

Wait, the non-artisan jadeborn were more powerful at one point?

And speaking of degenerate (as in: literally power has degenerated) primordial races, does anyone anywhere have stats for a true pureblooded lintha? I know they were in many ways the inspiration for exalted design, and I was curious to know if they did ever get a writeup.
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by golentan View Post
    Wait, the non-artisan jadeborn were more powerful at one point?
    Pre-geas the jadeborn didn't have castes. Now, given Dragnar post I'm not sure which is true, but they were either all artisans, or they were even greater. I think it's the latter due to what was written, but I'm mainly basing it off 1ed writings.
    And speaking of degenerate (as in: literally power has degenerated) primordial races, does anyone anywhere have stats for a true pureblooded lintha? I know they were in many ways the inspiration for exalted design, and I was curious to know if they did ever get a writeup.
    Nope. Largely due to the writers being occupied with other things.
    Satomi by Elagune

24. - Top - End - #204
    Troll in the Playground

Hmm... Anyone know if there's a way to undo the Great Geass on the Jadeborn? I might have a motivation for a Scourge caste....
    Past Avatars:
    Spoiler
    Show

By Alterform

Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

I believe Autochthon could do it easily. Likewise, Solar-level exalts could probably do it as well, though in order to do so they would need to do quite a bit of study on the Jadeborn, and likely the Clay Man as well.
    Satomi by Elagune

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Nope. Largely due to the writers being occupied with other things.
    Durn. Too many things lack a writeup. Don't these White Wolf writers realize that their sleep and sanity is less important than pleasing the fans of one of their less popular product lines?
    Spoiler
    Show
    My motto: Repensum Est Canicula.

Quote Originally Posted by turkishproverb View Post
    I am not getting into a shootout with Golentan. Too many gun-arms.
    Leiningen will win, even if he must lose in the attempt.

Credit to Astrella for the new party avatar.

27. - Top - End - #207

Pre-geas the jadeborn didn't have castes. Now, given Dragnar post I'm not sure which is true, but they were either all artisans, or they were even greater. I think it's the latter due to what was written, but I'm mainly basing it off 1ed writings.
    Yeah, it's not very clear. Artisans are at the very least CLOSER to what they all used to be. But it doesn't really say if they are actually equal. Still, pre-geas? Every last jadeborn was at the LEAST as powerful as an artisan is in the second age. Which is a rather scary thought really, given that a jadeborn is a lot tougher than most starting exalts. (though they are rapidly surpassed as xp is gained)

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Hey, should I get Compass stuff? I got the Manuals for Exalts, The Treatises, Wonders of the Lost Age and Broken Wing Crane,( and obviously the corebook) do I really need the Compass stuff? or is that optional?
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

29. - Top - End - #209

GnomePirate

Wait, the non-artisan jadeborn were more powerful at one point ?
    Artisan level. And if You look at what JB are capable of crafting ... They could easily wipe the Exalts off the face of Creation.

If I remember clearly there was writeup in Dreams of First Age boxed set. Basically they made them Jadeborn-equivalents, power wise, with Solar charms up to 2 Essence and perfects banned. Errata seems to suggest that this writeup, as "ye, ye have it and stop whinning" it is, is obsolete now.
    Youth and strenght alvays lose to age and treachery.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Hey, should I get Compass stuff? I got... Broken Wing Crane...
    All you need, bro.

(The core book is a nice addition, but ultimately superfluous.)