New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default A quick way to get an alien alphabet.

Namely, use shorthand!

I like using Gregg's shorthand on words translated into Esperanto for my magical text (it looks alien, let me tell ya...)

But there are many other shorthand systems to look up. Be aware that, unless you work on internalizing the symbols, it will take a while to write (but once you master the symbols, you can hit ~200 wpm. Yes, you read that right.)

Why am I posting this here? Because it is a relatively easy way to make symbols, and if you can figure out the sounds for each stroke and loop, you can remember what they mean as well... hide jokes and such.

The following is the Lord's Prayer in Pitman shorthand:
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: A quick way to get an alien alphabet.

While I agree that shorthand is pretty alien, it doesn't really fit as a formal script. Perhaps modifying the symbols and adding some elements of calligraphy to them would add a degree of... What's the word I'm looking for... Stability? Formality? Arcane-ness? I don't know, but it's lacking something.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Or there's Omniglot, because I doubt many players would be familiar with Russian Cyrillic, Japanese Katakana, Sanskritic Devanagari, and if they are there are dozens of other writing scripts that you may not even need to transcribe if you either use a unicode-textpad or something else to electronically convert the text for you.

Using this would behoove you to prepare beforehand, but that's really what world/scene building is about anyway, isn't it?

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ettin in the Playground

True, you will want to alter the symbols used, but it lets me put my Shorthand dictionary from the '40s to good use; besides, if you aren't comfortable with the idea of shorthand...

I have one friend who literally gets headaches while looking at shorthand, because she can't wrap her head around it; and she is self-teaching herself kanji (she already has katakana and hirigana down, so...)

But yes, I do agree that it does lack a little something on the arcane front; of course, in that situation, I would use something like a (heavily modified) Blissymbols with the same grammatical backing as, say, Lojban.
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

I've had to make myself a whole "Dwarven alphabeth" in the past, and I'm creating my own world/setting as well, so...

I'm sure I could make great use of this. If only somebody cared to explain me what on Earth does "shorthand" mean!

No, seriously. English is not my first language. I just see a bunch of lines and dots, and some comment on how easy they are to make and even something about hiding "jokes". Wha...?

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Shorthand is essentially a quick way of writing. As such, it's relatively simply, and once you know what you're doing, you can write with it really fast.
    I myself can't do it, but it's really useful for rapidly copying down what someone is saying.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Ooooh... I get it now.
    It's what journalists do.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Look up Gregg Shorthand- there probably is a version for your native language if you go ahead and look.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ganheim View Post
    Or there's Omniglot, because I doubt many players would be familiar with Russian Cyrillic, Japanese Katakana, Sanskritic Devanagari, and if they are there are dozens of other writing scripts that you may not even need to transcribe if you either use a unicode-textpad or something else to electronically convert the text for you.

Using this would behoove you to prepare beforehand, but that's really what world/scene building is about anyway, isn't it?
    That's cool. I looked up Constructed scripts there, found one called Genesis, am now having fun "translating" various words.
    Demilich avatar by Smuchmuch. Thank you VERY much!

Old Extended Signature, last updated in 2012
    Awright, Supagoof, that's just awesome. Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Infernal avatar by Savana. Thanks!

Nude version by SmuchMuch.