New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default How do I get myself (and others) out of this one alive moments/situations

I was playing in a campaign where another player was playing an absurdly selfish druid who started a fire in a town and then stone shaped a building to put it out who then became violent when my monk stepped in to drag him away and have a word about being a **** inside towns who then decided to turn into a giant crocodile and kill me I managed to win the grapple because size is a little less breaking in pathfinder and monks are a little more capable when it comes to grappling and I got really lucky. After not blitzing and killing me and me managing to pin him (really lucky) he turned into an earth elemental and fled town.

Next session he didn't show up but the dm invited a few more people to join our campaign so we were stuck in the town waiting the other usual member of the campaign (we only really had a 3 man party normally) killed someone who was supposed to be a regular commoner who someone wanted to roleplay for the murder but then decided they wanted it to be their character so the level 1 commoner was suddenly a level 6 rouge that faced up against an anti paladin with none of his fighting gear (he charmed her into going for a romantic walk outside of town) who he managed to defeat but not before she got close enough to town for her screaming to be heard. The end result being that the anti-paladin was executed and the new players decided to join a different campaign so it was down to just me and the druid.

the murder and execution all took place on the same day the druid went mental so I had to load up and go out after him while he had no more wild shapes and no more high level spell slots and his companion was still diabled from previous injuries.

I ended up bribing him to come back (not into town the mayor declared he'd had enough of the parties shenanigans and everyone but my monk would be arrested on sight) because on top of being selfish he was greedy.

the whole time I was completely aware that the druid had no problem killing my monk (he had already indirectly killed another party member early in the campaign) and I was really lucky the dm took my side on some issues over how prepared he was likely to be but I was pretty certain that I lucked out in keeping as many people alive as I did.

tldr: ever had yourself backed into a corner where your character was likely to die and managed to luck out and live bonus if you managed to keep other people alive too.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: How do I get myself (and others) out of this one alive moments/situations

If the druid's alignment isn't evil, hit the player with all the 3.5 books you can swing.

Edit: if his alignment is evil, only hit him with the PHB.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2011-07-23 at 01:50 AM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: How do I get myself (and others) out of this one alive moments/situations

it was a pathfinder game from last year, I did get out of it I bribed him with money because he was greedy really greedy I decked myself out with as many useful cheap things as I could but in the end didn't need them roleplayed my way out of it.

and the druids alignment was the topic of more than one debate.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

We once were faced up against a lich... at level 5. I panicked once he Flesh to Stone'd the barbarian; but then I remember I had been holding on to a Scroll of Glibness for a while. One UMD result and one Bluff check (about a 46) later, I fast-talked it into putting us on to permanent retainer to deal with any "problems" that might come along that would be suspicious if a lich came out of nowhere and blasted them.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Just had one of those moments myself in the past 6-8 hours.

Third level, party is one archivist (me), one NPC fighter (Friend, character died due to derp in the encounter before hand, same session), and one Crusader.

As vikings (with the elite array) we're set out to pillage and all that good stuff. We decide to fight us a goblin village, scaring off a small campsite. sit on guard when three worg-mounted goblins come charging in at us. The three worgs split up and gun each of us three PCs down with their trip attempts.

The formerly NPC fighter plays dead after an unlucky bite attack crit. I hit them with a waves of grief for a nice -3 on most everything to the two on me. I also drop a lucky tactics for +3 to hit on the worgs. Having gone from full HP to 8, the crusader smacks his own worg to regenerate my health.

Risking the AoOs and blowing my own crusader's strike, I manage to keep myself at the same HP for the second round before the goblins threaten us. Naturally, I drop my quarterstaff and book it. The fighter decides to stop playing dead, drinks a Cure X potion then jumps back into the fray while the crusader manages to get a lucky critical hit on one of the two worgs around him.

Still down on men, I go for broke, move back into range with a crossbow and use Faerie Fire to try to make it look like we have reinforcements. Luckily, the goblins buy my bluff check we all manage to haul ass back to our longship.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    "See these cookies? Note how while good they taste sort of bland. Now try these, they're the same cookies but with chocolate chips added. Notice how with the second batch we expended slightly more ingredients but dramatically enhanced the flavor? That's metamagic."
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Seriously, can we kill this misconception now? A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He shops for precisely what he means to.

Winner of Junkyard Wars 31.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

A while back in a Ravenloft campaign, which usually has one, maybe two fight scenes a game, and is mainly the characters trying to be Good people in the setting.

We're a level 5/6 party, at the time I think we had present:

*Human Cleric (That's me). A bullheaded Barovian.
    *Necropolitan Dread Necromancer. Former Gravedigger/Alchemist/Uni student, struggling to resist the urge to dive into evil experiments.
    *Human Rogue. Traumatised Kleptomaniac.
    *Human Fighter. Blackpowder gun nut.

The end climax of the session was attempting to convince "The God Fish" (Which the DM later informed us was an Aboleth) to not unleash its followers on a nearby town in its pursuit of the destruction of the Sanitarium controlled by a deranged professor using immoral magic to "cure" people.

We were at the edge of an underwater lake, in the mouth of a cave, an interconnected system we traversed to get there.

The negotiations went....poorly....specifically when the fighter, under some form of mental domination, starting saying "Must go to the God Fish" and walking to the water.

I told the God Fish to die in a fire (Essentially anyway) then we all tried to pull back as the cavern started shaking and hordes of fish people started to emerge.

It wasn't until the second round I realised I had prepped Stone Shape, which was used to seal the cave as we legged it to evacuate the car.

Not exactly exciting to write/read down, but it sure felt like a last minute save....
    "No Anti-Magic field ever stopped a pouncing Barbarians Great Club"

Spoilered Stuff!
    Spoiler
    Show

Favourite Threads!

Random
    Spoiler
    Show

I appear to be a pixie. I knew I overflowed with natural charisma

Nooo! I have fallen to being a mere halfling! Guess I'll....umm.....throw things....and bemoan my favored class.....