New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9242526272829303132333435363738394041424344 ... LastLast
Results 991 to 1,020 of 1482
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: GitP PrC Contest Chat Thread IV

If anyone wants to critique what I've got done so far I'd really appreciate it. Ive got some ideas for the higher level abilities, some of which will be a progressively stronger version of the nerfed ghost walk the class has atm, with definite negative energy themes. also in the progress of re-working the fluff, sort of aiming for a rogue prc that uses the powers of the undead to hunt down the undead and put them to their final rest as well as evil necromancers/priests who would disturb the souls of the dead. Also considering moving ghost scarred from a bonus perk to a class requirement. also thinking about lowering sneak attack bonus to a max of 3 or 4d6.
    Last edited by Zallera; 2012-10-06 at 10:02 PM.

2. - Top - End - #992
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I updated my entry with most of the class abilities I can think fo at the moment. Fluff will be added soon. Feedback on the abilities would be appreciated though. Considering adding more mask abilities, though can't think of any at the moment. As is, I'm not entirely sure if I managed to balance things out well enough. The costume prosthesis graft penalties could also likely use some changing.
    Anyway, all that said I think the class could be played a few way, from making useful masks for other, cursed masks for others, face stealer, masks for yourself, or being the maker of the sorting hat.

I likewise support the idea of a minor extension to the deadline given the forums going down for a few days.

Edit:... Huh, I just realized that there are 3 entries that each use different subsystems made by Kellus. Perhaps he is the patron hombrewer of Halloween.

Owrtho
    Last edited by Owrtho; 2012-10-07 at 01:28 AM.
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

3. - Top - End - #993
    Ogre in the Playground

Wow, there are a lot of entries here that look really good. I don't think I'm going have time to make one this round, but I'll try to PEACH some of them.

For no clear reason I'm going to start with Amechra's Name-Me-Not:

It may make sense to link to Too Many Eyes so people know where that's from.

I think you don't need to lose as many caster levels as you do; having dual progression at 7 and 10 is probably fine.

Speak My Name is well done- I'd suggest also something additional to happen when one says the name three times, like the speaker gets a penalty to all saves from things done by the Name-Me-Not for 24 hours or something like that.

Overall I like this one quite a bit.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

4. - Top - End - #994
    Ettin in the Playground

Thanks! I'll do more work when I have time.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

5. - Top - End - #995
    Bugbear in the Playground

Change of plan - school's taking up too much time for the big, long sprawling PrC I wanted to do, so I've made a short and simple Slendy PrC, which I did always want to do anyway.
    Last edited by TheGeckoKing; 2012-10-07 at 03:57 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avvie by araveugnitsuga
    3DS Friend Code - 4098-2424-2486

6. - Top - End - #996
    Ettin in the Playground

Just want to give a friendly heads up, because I've already done this with my contest, note permission or take down your photos (unless they're public domain/non-copyrighted/free use/etc.). Roland is being quite serious over that warning he gave back in September and I'd hate to see anyone have an infraction or worse tossed their way over something as silly as prettying up a homebrew entry.

Edit: And to be clear, he means you literally need their permission. Just linking to the artist or mentioning it's their work isn't good enough, you need their actual go ahead to post it.
    Last edited by Tanuki Tales; 2012-10-07 at 07:53 PM.

7. - Top - End - #997

For Mawkin, the artist says on his website that it's okay to post with attribution. Do I need to go and get the permission more officially than that??
    (member in good standing of the troll-feeder's guild)

I am the assassin of productivity.

Super boss Muscle Wizard avvie by Ceika.

gitp extended sig
    minmaxboards extended sig (more stuff)

8. - Top - End - #998
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sirpercival View Post
    For Mawkin, the artist says on his website that it's okay to post with attribution. Do I need to go and get the permission more officially than that??
    I think that falls under "free use", but I'd ask Roland. I was just speaking in general to all the wonderful folks here, not anyone specific.

9. - Top - End - #999
    Halfling in the Playground

Zombie

How do I tell if my picture is free use?

Also, finished up the mechanics of the class, if people want to look at it I would not mind it.

10. - Top - End - #1000
    Firbolg in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Found myself inspired by this one, so I tossed up a Treat Master prestige class. I'd be interested to know what folks think of it so far.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #1001

Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Found myself inspired by this one, so I tossed up a Treat Master prestige class. I'd be interested to know what folks think of it so far.
    You're welcome to make use of Mystic Brew.

gitp extended sig

12. - Top - End - #1002

I'm going to do some quick commentaries myself. If I skip yours, I apologize, and it's likely because your class is based on another piece of homebrew and I'm just not comfortable giving in-depth critiques on material I'm not really familiar with. Again, it's nothing against you or the work you used, I just don't have time to become mechanically familiar enough with these base class systems to offer critique I'm comfortable giving.

Mawkin
    Spoiler
    Show
    I like requirements like yours. It isn't mechanically difficult to get into, but it is thematically difficult to get into. Unlike even some WotC products (*cough*bloodmagus*cough* That said, there aren't really rules for decapitation, so it might require a little more DM fiat than most.

I like the level 0 concept, it works well to make entry less mechanically weird. Grasping Vines is fun, but 10+ Cha mod is... not a lot of strength for grappling. That might be intentional, but I thought I'd note it. Still, it's a fun 1st level ability.

The rest of the abilities seem well put together, IMO, and fit the theme very well. I don't notice anything overly offensive balance-wise (especially considering you have to spend two move actions to get to the real power here) and they're as thematic as they are functional.

The main concern I have here is who would take the class. It has a mix of abilities, but the meat of the abilities need you to be in the fray thrashing away with vines, but you have a fairly low HD and poor BAB. The strength bonuses certainly help that, but it's still an issue. Casty classes won't bother (other than thematically) and if I had a major problem with the class it's that it doesn't really *fit* in most standard DnD games. This is entirely a personal issue, I'll admit, and the class has it's role, and fills them well, but those roles don't mesh well in most games. It's esoteric, IMO, but that's not a REAL problem so much as a personal nit I pick off of things.

Overall, I like it. Nice work.

And I have to pass three classes before I hit one that's finished >.>

Wakeless Titan
    Spoiler
    Show
    Another fun thematic death requirement, though mechanically it is stricter than the Mawkin. Still, it works, and firmly establishes the type of class this is and the type of character that can/should enter it. I like it when prereqs tell you as much about the class as description, so good work here.

I'm a little disappointed Dredge Line doesn't allow you to drag people back to you, but that's just the Nautilus fan in me coming out. The early class abilities do a good job of being interesting enough and enhancing your capabilities to go beyond just being "you can now function underwater" abilities, which tend to be kind of boring. Makes you a really terrifying force underwater... which most forces underwater are anyway.

THERE'S the dragging ability. I knew it'd be there. The move action makes for an interesting balance point. You could just swim over there, but why bother?

Generally, I love it. It has the unfortunate "restriction" to underwater, but it functions nearly as effectively on land, which I love, it helps dodge that particular issue of becoming too esoteric. You do still become a monstrosity powered by the Things-That-Are-Underwater but it's still functional for a lot of situations. I dig the hell out of this. Yup.

Current Contest Entries:

Prestige Class Contest: In the Shadows -The Ghost Wyrm

Base Class Contest: Altar of Naught - The Nihilist

Monster Competition: Beings of Legend - The Omni Template

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #1003

Quote Originally Posted by Hyooz View Post
    Mawkin
    Thank you!!

Spoiler
    Show
    I like requirements like yours. It isn't mechanically difficult to get into, but it is thematically difficult to get into. Unlike even some WotC products (*cough*bloodmagus*cough* That said, there aren't really rules for decapitation, so it might require a little more DM fiat than most.
    There are two places which have decapitation rules: vorpal swords & hydras. But yes, it's more fiat-y than normal... of course, it's also likely that this class will be an NPC, simply from the flavor, which means DM fiat is fine ;)

I like the level 0 concept, it works well to make entry less mechanically weird. Grasping Vines is fun, but 10+ Cha mod is... not a lot of strength for grappling. That might be intentional, but I thought I'd note it. Still, it's a fun 1st level ability.
    No it isn't, though (a) with a fear build you'll want a good Cha, and (b) it gets all of your grapple modifiers, and if you want to make best use of the class, you'll have some of those.

The rest of the abilities seem well put together, IMO, and fit the theme very well. I don't notice anything overly offensive balance-wise (especially considering you have to spend two move actions to get to the real power here) and they're as thematic as they are functional.
    Good! I'm glad.

The main concern I have here is who would take the class. It has a mix of abilities, but the meat of the abilities need you to be in the fray thrashing away with vines, but you have a fairly low HD and poor BAB. The strength bonuses certainly help that, but it's still an issue. Casty classes won't bother (other than thematically) and if I had a major problem with the class it's that it doesn't really *fit* in most standard DnD games. This is entirely a personal issue, I'll admit, and the class has it's role, and fills them well, but those roles don't mesh well in most games. It's esoteric, IMO, but that's not a REAL problem so much as a personal nit I pick off of things.
    Yeah... I'm still trying to figure that out. I may bump BAB and/or HD...

Overall, I like it. Nice work.
    Thanks!
    Last edited by sirpercival; 2012-10-08 at 06:23 PM.

gitp extended sig

14. - Top - End - #1004
    Barbarian in the Playground

Time to just toss what I have and see if I can get ideas as to where to fix the class up while I prepare to finish it.

I think this is my first PrC in five years, jeeze. Time to tune. A lot.

15. - Top - End - #1005
    Firbolg in the Playground

Eh, I can't come up with something that I can flesh out in time. Looks like this one's not for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

16. - Top - End - #1006

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Eh, I can't come up with something that I can flesh out in time. Looks like this one's not for me.
    Sadness. :(

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I updated my entry. Mostly just adding fluff, but added two new mask abilities (for those curious, they are the prop mask and the feature mask). Anyway, feedback would be appreciated.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

18. - Top - End - #1008
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm not having much inspiration on the ghosty warlock. I'll keep mulling it over for the next week or so until this closes, but it looks like I might also be sitting this one out.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

19. - Top - End - #1009
    Ogre in the Playground

Made a few more minor changes to the mask maker. Made it quicker to put on/remove masks with help, made suppressed masks able to become unsuppressed, and added another feat for if you want to wear masks on top of more masks (as well as some minor changes to two of the other feats). Might have been another minor change or two I can't recall. As always, and PEACHing of feedback is appreciated.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

20. - Top - End - #1010

I'm having a lot of difficulties with writing the witch hunter. The charm lists are relatively easy and brief, although the abilities are a bit of a nightmare to find the right words for =x.

Probably should have picked something a bit simpler, although I'll try my best to trudge to the end.

21. - Top - End - #1011
    Ogre in the Playground

Less than a week folks! Let's make sure all the background fluff, extra rules, etc are done and posted so we don't lose any of this work before the voting!

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

22. - Top - End - #1012

Gotta finish the sample NPC, make a few corrections... And then go with what I've got because I'm not braining too well with my PrC. Sadly.

23. - Top - End - #1013
    Ettin in the Playground

Hey, I've done some revisions to the Name-Me-Not! I hope it is a bit creepier now.

Also, I like the Memetic Witch, or at least the Memes.

Now I want to do a base class with the same general idea...
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

24. - Top - End - #1014
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm going to finish mine up tonight and then start a PEACH-a-thon tomorrow.

25. - Top - End - #1015
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Pretty well done my entry now except for fluff, although i have been thinking of adding in a lesser version of sphere of sorrow. If anyone is willing to PEACH my class, somethings in particular I'm looking for criticism on is if skills are too weak/powerful or need more/fewer uses per day
    Last edited by Zallera; 2012-10-17 at 11:28 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1016

I'm going to have to withdraw from the contest. I have several more ideas for the class, but I've currently hit a brick wall. And in combination with IRL issues (stupid Real Life interfering with my D&D addiction), and with my base class I'm working on, The Spellbound.

I probably won't be back for a while, unless ErrantX posts a PRC contest I just can't resist

Good luck everyone!
    homebrew

Interesting Stuff: Spellshapers, Metroid as Incarnum

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by BelGareth View Post
    Bindin, this is why I love you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamshifter View Post
    ...I think my poor Monkadin just went to go get drunk. That's not a natural thing for him to do, at all. Thanks bindin.

27. - Top - End - #1017
    Dwarf in the Playground

Whew...

I almost didn't make it in time!

I'm afraid the inspiration might be too obvious, but I think I've altered the Pumpkin King enough to make it wholly unique.

Not enough time to make any changes on it, I suppose, but still...

Also, can I just point out that I'm really, really impressed by the Name-Me-Not and Macabre Mask Maker?

Thanks!

28. - Top - End - #1018
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Finally finished my entry, was nice to work on something D&D related again.

Really liking the macabre mask maker too!

29. - Top - End - #1019
    Ogre in the Playground

3 hours left!

Make sure you get your last minute edits and fixes done, because I'll be cutting through it mercilessly this evening. If you didn't make the cut because of unfinished work, I do apologize, but them's the breaks.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

30. - Top - End - #1020

Finished all the Wakeless Titan fluff with a few hours to spare! Looking forward to seeing how people react; I'm seeing a ton of great entries this time.