New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: GitP PrC Contest Chat Thread IV

New contest, it's easy and everyone has liked it in the past and its well past time. I hope no one thinks its a cop out :P

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

2. - Top - End - #362
    Ogre in the Playground

Very much in for this one. Not sure what with, but I am in.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Maraxus1 View Post
    Like that??:

Buddy you're a boy make a big noise - Move silently not class skill

Playin' in the street gonna be a big man some day - req: Knowledge local some ranks, gender male.
    You got mud on your face - req: Hide some ranks
    You big disgrace - Can trade in Ex-Paladin level
    Kickin' your can all over the place - req: Improved unarmed strike
    Sing it! - ...

We will we will rock you - Level 1: +1 damage with slings
    We will we will rock you - Level 2: The same.

Buddy you're a young man hard man - Level 2: +1 Natural armor
    Shoutin' in the street gonna take on the world some day - Something really good on the last level.
    You got blood on your face - Level 3: Bonus to attack and damage when below 50% hp.
    You big disgrace - ...
    Wavin' your banner all over the place - Level 4: +1 moral bonus to attack for allies.

That would have worked, yes, as would simply being inspired by it, or rearranging the lyrics. Sort of a moot point now, though, unless someone decides to use it later.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Firbolg in the Playground

Well, a little variation in the theme could have been cool. How about combining three classes? Or another Gish contest? Or specifically Theurges? So many more options...

Out of curiosity, does it have to be two classes combined, or can it be more? And do they have to be base classes, or can they be prestige classes?
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2012-01-16 at 07:08 PM.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    Well, a little variation in the theme could be cool. How about combining three classes? Or another Gish contest? Or specifically Theurges? So many more options...

Out of curiosity, does it have to be two classes combined, or can it be more? And do they have to be base classes, or can they be prestige classes?
    The theme is about as open as it comes mate, I don't know what kind of variation I could put on it Gish? Two classes. Theurge? Two classes. If you want to combine three classes, so long as you can take three class features (or more, one from each) and find ways to combine them for fun and profit, then by all means do so. It just makes it more complicated to write.

Has to be base classes; no combination of prestige classes please. Kind of takes what little "prestige" that prestige classes have left to them out of it.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Ogre in the Playground

Ooh. I've got one for this one. Didn't have time to finish this class for the last contest that this one fit with. Good thing I didn't post a version of it here.

The Dancer of the Threshold uses dancing and the musical arts to channel necromancy.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

7. - Top - End - #367
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I love me some hybrid theory! Current plan is to do a Warlock/Warblade PrC, possibly for Warforged with a sprinkling of Xen'driken-Giant magic.

EDIT: Tenative plane is to call it "Iron Dragon of Xen'drik," although "Warmachine" is tempting.
    Last edited by Thrice Dead Cat; 2012-01-16 at 08:01 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    "See these cookies? Note how while good they taste sort of bland. Now try these, they're the same cookies but with chocolate chips added. Notice how with the second batch we expended slightly more ingredients but dramatically enhanced the flavor? That's metamagic."
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Seriously, can we kill this misconception now? A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He shops for precisely what he means to.

Winner of Junkyard Wars 31.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Bugbear in the Playground

Hrrrrrrrm. I'm going to be weird this time, and so I shall ask you all what you'd prefer me to make.
    Your two options are:

• A Healer/Dread Necromancer PrC Plague Doctor, with a dissolved oath (because oaths are for wimps) and the ability to both cure and propagate diseases, as well as the ability to give his friends beneficial symbiotic "diseases" that heal and enhance rather than harm.
    • A Marshal/Hexblade PrC that functions like a WH40K Commissar, simultaneously buffing his allies and debuffing his enemies with a Bardic Music/Screamed Threats type effect, only running on Intimidate checks (or Curse uses) instead of Perform checks.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avvie by araveugnitsuga
    3DS Friend Code - 4098-2424-2486

9. - Top - End - #369

Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX View Post
    The theme is about as open as it comes mate, I don't know what kind of variation I could put on it Gish? Two classes. Theurge? Two classes. If you want to combine three classes, so long as you can take three class features (or more, one from each) and find ways to combine them for fun and profit, then by all means do so. It just makes it more complicated to write.

Has to be base classes; no combination of prestige classes please. Kind of takes what little "prestige" that prestige classes have left to them out of it.

-X
    Yes, that that's what my beef with the contest is; it's too open. Some restrictions would make a lot more entries a lot more interesting...
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

10. - Top - End - #370
    Troll in the Playground

Suddenly, Artificer/Magitech Templar!

Possibly with Warforged >>

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    Yes, that that's what my beef with the contest is; it's too open. Some restrictions would make a lot more entries a lot more interesting...
    Well, that's kind of not the point of hybrid theory, sadly. Its open to make it easier, kind of a, "Hey, I've always wanted to write this up but never really had the gumption," sort of thing. Take one of the suggestions in the write up for the contest, and call that your restriction perhaps? I'd be happy to work with you. I'm off of work this week so I'll actually have some time this week to field questions and administer the contest.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:

12. - Top - End - #372
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
    Ooh. I've got one for this one. Didn't have time to finish this class for the last contest that this one fit with. Good thing I didn't post a version of it here.

The Dancer of the Threshold uses dancing and the musical arts to channel necromancy.
    I seem to recall a Ravenloft book that had something like this in it called the Dance of the Dead. Good read, I look forward to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Thrice Dead Cat View Post
    I love me some hybrid theory! Current plan is to do a Warlock/Warblade PrC, possibly for Warforged with a sprinkling of Xen'driken-Giant magic.

EDIT: Tenative plane is to call it "Iron Dragon of Xen'drik," although "Warmachine" is tempting.
    Hehehe, I'd be down with either name but make sure that the flavor fits the name too :P Good idea though!

Quote Originally Posted by TheGeckoKing View Post
    Hrrrrrrrm. I'm going to be weird this time, and so I shall ask you all what you'd prefer me to make.
    Your two options are:

• A Healer/Dread Necromancer PrC Plague Doctor, with a dissolved oath (because oaths are for wimps) and the ability to both cure and propagate diseases, as well as the ability to give his friends beneficial symbiotic "diseases" that heal and enhance rather than harm.
    • A Marshal/Hexblade PrC that functions like a WH40K Commissar, simultaneously buffing his allies and debuffing his enemies with a Bardic Music/Screamed Threats type effect, only running on Intimidate checks (or Curse uses) instead of Perform checks.
    My vote for this goes to the Marshal/Hexblade, personally. Not enough love for either class.

Quote Originally Posted by NineThePuma View Post

Magitech Templar? >_> Is that what you're making or is that a homebrew class you're wanting to combine with Artificer?

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:

13. - Top - End - #373
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheGeckoKing View Post
    Your two options are:

I'd actually like to see the first one. Absolutely screams "Papa Nurgle." As for the second, I'd recommend combining together the Hexblade's Curse and Bardic Music into one action, adding new twinned effects and having the entire thing either run off of Perform (Oratory) or Intimidate.

Quote Originally Posted by NineThePuma View Post

NineThePuma, with statements like that make me want to call you "comrade." Here's hoping our ideas aren't too terribly similar.

Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX View Post
    Well, that's kind of not the point of hybrid theory, sadly. Its open to make it easier, kind of a, "Hey, I've always wanted to write this up but never really had the gumption," sort of thing. Take one of the suggestions in the write up for the contest, and call that your restriction perhaps? I'd be happy to work with you. I'm off of work this week so I'll actually have some time this week to field questions and administer the contest.

-X
    I've always thought of it as being very much as a "first come, first serve" basis where whoever posts their ideas gets "dibs." For good or for ill, obviously.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    "See these cookies? Note how while good they taste sort of bland. Now try these, they're the same cookies but with chocolate chips added. Notice how with the second batch we expended slightly more ingredients but dramatically enhanced the flavor? That's metamagic."
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Seriously, can we kill this misconception now? A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He shops for precisely what he means to.

Winner of Junkyard Wars 31.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Titan in the Playground

Thinking up a Favored Soul/Swordsage combo

As far as I've seen neither get any love (I know Martial classes do, but specifically swordsage?)
    Spoiler
    Show

Bel's Compendium
    Homebrew sig
    Epic items of interest
    Sir cowabunga of clubs
    ENTJ-A

“Take but degree away, untune that string, And, hark, what discord follows!” -Shakespeare
    “Gnyðja mundu nú grísir, ef þeir vissi, hvat inn gamli þyldi” -Ragnar Lodbrok

"I have a high art; I hurt with cruelty those who would damage me." -Archilochus

Discord -Now with a recruitment bot!

15. - Top - End - #375
    Ogre in the Playground

Ok. Rough draft of the Dancer of the Threshold is up. I haven't yet finished statting up the Dances themselves.

Their are two potential serious issues that I'd like feedback on. First, should some of the levels also give +1 to bardic spellcasting? Right now, none of them do. I don't know if this would make more sense to have that or not.

Second, the save DC for Dances is non-standard. I explain their my logic for using it and how I've tried to balance it but I'm not sure this is actually that balanced. Input would be appreciated.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

16. - Top - End - #376

I think i'm going to participate in this one, i have one for a triple hybrid of psionics, incarnum, and invocations, most likely a gish-type class

That or, an old project of mine, a 15 level PrC that emphasizes a companion made from combining several companions from various classes.
    Last edited by EdroGrimshell; 2012-01-17 at 12:10 AM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by GFawkes View Post
    You didn't poke fate with a stick. You set fate on fire, then whacked it with a 2x4 several times.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackwind1kaze View Post
    good thing they did body attribute instead of Physical attribute, otherwise the stats would look like:

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

The Hub, for PTA & PTU community building. If you're interested, take a look.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Troll in the Playground

Oh, It's started. Hmm, hybrid. Lots of options.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by EdroGrimshell View Post
    I think i'm going to participate in this one, i have one for a triple hybrid of psionics, incarnum, and invocations, most likely a gish-type class

That or, an old project of mine, a 15 level PrC that emphasizes a companion made from combining several companions from various classes.
    Both of these sound very interesting.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

19. - Top - End - #379

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
    Both of these sound very interesting.
    I'm leaning towards the fusionist (the companion one) since i actually have part of it done. Main thing i have to do is get the add-ons for the companion and touch up the actual companion.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    You didn't poke fate with a stick. You set fate on fire, then whacked it with a 2x4 several times.
    good thing they did body attribute instead of Physical attribute, otherwise the stats would look like:

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #380
    Troll in the Playground

Does your inspiration involve the name "tony stark"?'

MT is a class by Person_Man. It's quite awesome and meshes with Artificer quite well. I'd be helping them mix better, mostly.

21. - Top - End - #381

Posted a rough draft of the fusionist, let me know your initial thoughts on the thing.

Also, anyone that gets the reference in the class gets a cookie
    Last edited by EdroGrimshell; 2012-01-17 at 09:33 AM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #382
    Ogre in the Playground

Another Hybrid contest sound interesting. I have lot of idea, I hope I'll get the time to work on something.
    Latest homebrew: The Avatars of Magic, powerful monster each dedicated to ne school of magic.

My homebrewer's Extended Signature
    My character :
    Spoiler
    Show

Mirar, Bizarre human Focused Conjurer/Master specialist (summoning specialist)
    Xilef, shifter Druid 8//Barbarian 5/Weretouched master 3
    Other Character.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Pixie in the Playground

DrowGuy

Fusionist looks cool so far.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Troll in the Playground

Yes this looks interesting. I might try for a dread necromancer/psionic class.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hazuki View Post
    ...Silva, you are a scary person.
    Awesome Avatar by Derjuin

My Homebrew: Here
    The Necromantic Codex: A collection of necromancy classes, items and monsters.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ogre in the Playground

Is it just me or does a Blood Magus (Complete Arcane) crossed with Black Guard seem like a good idea?

*Leans back in chair, laughs evilly*
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

Quote Originally Posted by DudeWhyAreAllTheNamesTaken(Imgur)
    Chaotic neutral. Might rob you blind. Might save your life. Might do both.

26. - Top - End - #386

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Cookie View Post
    Is it just me or does a Blood Magus (Complete Arcane) crossed with Black Guard seem like a good idea?

*Leans back in chair, laughs evilly*
    Fusing two PrCs? Interesting and potentially awesome
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I was thinking about using the blood magus' control over blood to summon and control legions of undead.

Sadly, after reading earlier in the thread, ErrantX said no PrC's. Damn.
    Open the lid and snatch a homebrewed treat from Cookie's Jar

Ponytar by Dirtytabs

Quote Originally Posted by DudeWhyAreAllTheNamesTaken(Imgur)
    Chaotic neutral. Might rob you blind. Might save your life. Might do both.

28. - Top - End - #388
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm kina Surprised that Hybrid III is on already...
    Well, what to throw into the mix that makes minimal amounts of sense and has not been done to death?

will, tackled me a bit there actually...might take a few days to get a concept...my current concepts are a bit awkward with the following:

monk/sorcerer flurry-of-spells styles
    reworked rage mage to make sense
    monk/favored soul that uses divine blessing to enhance his body

All three are plausible, but I'm not sure about them, what do you think?
    Last edited by boomwolf; 2012-01-17 at 02:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cormag81 View Post
    2117: No matter how good a debater I am out of character there is no way to logically get out of falling after your paladin kills his patron god.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Bugbear in the Playground

My vote for this goes to the Marshal/Hexblade, personally. Not enough love for either class.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thrice Dead Cat View Post
    I'd actually like to see the first one. Absolutely screams "Papa Nurgle." As for the second, I'd recommend combining together the Hexblade's Curse and Bardic Music into one action, adding new twinned effects and having the entire thing either run off of Perform (Oratory) or Intimidate.
    Hrrrrrrm. That's one a-piece, so I shall now refer to the coin flip.......
    EDIT: Lady Luck has decided that I shall make the Dread Commander! Heck, it's not like a Plague Doctor has been done before, anyway.
    Last edited by TheGeckoKing; 2012-01-17 at 03:07 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avvie by araveugnitsuga
    3DS Friend Code - 4098-2424-2486

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ogre in the Playground

Yaknow, I just got an idea...

Screw alignment problems, these two are a perfect match:

Both use charisma
    One cares about the story the tell about him, the other cares about the stories he tells.

BARD/KNIGHT! two of the most fluff-crazed classes out there, yet the younger brother (knight) suffers from lack of love...

Quote Originally Posted by Cormag81 View Post
    2117: No matter how good a debater I am out of character there is no way to logically get out of falling after your paladin kills his patron god.