New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Barbarian in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Default Re: GitP PrC Contest Chat Thread IV

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    ...I never dream. How could I make homebrew based off dreaming if I never dream?

Well, when I'm asleep anyway.
    Well I am making a PrC that has as a requeriment being unable to sleep or to dream.

Btw It's trying to combine hexblade and spellthief to up them to tier 3.
    Currently playing:
    Aer the Raven in the refounding of the temple of nine swords.
    Estef in From Splendor to Shadow
    DMing Here be Dragons IC & OOC

2. - Top - End - #542
    Ogre in the Playground

Think about letting them use stolen spells for more hexes. It's not enough, unless you give them something like warlock invocations but powered by stolen spells... that might work. Not very hex-blade unless you stick to debuffs? Who knows.

Anyone want to trade PEACHes?

3. - Top - End - #543

ElfRangerGuy

Thanks for the feed back, I've been a bit stressed and out of inspiration lately.

As for the reverie drinker I am taking out the lucid dreaming stuff, and the onieromancy, I think it adds to much complexity.

I added to more iterations of the nightmare curse ability, dark nightmare curse that forfeits the effect of a normal hexblade curse to apply a curse (from bestow curse) that should give some more options, and nightmare spell, it casts any spell stolen (or a spell known of the same level or lower) at the target that is being cursed. Since the reverie drinker was unable to get to spellthief 20 that made some sense.

I am also simplifying the eerie state a little, so it's keyed to charisma and reverie drinker level.

And once I figure how to turn dreams into drugs, and perhaps an appropriate cost for it, I will finish the benefits of drinking dream. Right now I am thinking about wisdom damage a penalty to saves against dream spells/effects and a temporary alchemical bonus to CHA based skill checks (that's for everyone). The reverie drinker is going to get more bonus from that, depending on level. Probably the effects of Jack of all trades, bardic knack and one skill mastery on any skill that he doesn't have any rank but does allow checks untrained.

Regarding the dream warrior, the concept is pretty cool, I like those feats, a few coppers.

Insightful strike: you might want him to be able to use it once per encounter, not once per combat. It's a nitpicky difference.

And can the rude awakening crit? Maybe rude awakening and sleepwalking should end combat focus, otherwise one can use sleepwalking every round, for ever. What is an attack against him? Will interpretations of it lead to Iron Heart Surge shenanigans? Can he deflect AoE attacks with it, even if he is totally covered by it?
    Currently playing:

4. - Top - End - #544
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glimbur View Post
    Anyone want to trade PEACHes?
    This question got me thinking.

I think it would behoove the powers that be to create a stickied thread entitled "Trading PEACHes" wherein a person would post a numbered request:

R1 Please PEACH my Clownstomper Base Class at http://thelink!

And then someone would respond:

P1 I've had some time to think about your Clownstomper class and think such-and-so. Please PEACH my Mimepuncher class at http://mylink. Thanks!

And then the original poster would respond:

PR1 Thanks for commenting about my class! Here's my critique of yours!

I just don't know how it would work out. I posted this idea to the Base Class Challenge Chat Thread first because I personally feel I'd have a much better time of it committing to critiquing any random base class than any random PrC class since PrC classes can involve mechanics and classes and books I've never seen or heard of before. A major advantage of base classes is that they tend to be a single independent unit.

Anyway--I just had the idea and thought it wouldn't hurt to mention it.

Later!

5. - Top - End - #545
    Halfling in the Playground

Okay, I badly need feedback on the Dream Thief's dream strike ability. It will scale up with level, but any advice re: power, wording, or anything would be a massive help!

While I'm here:

Dream Shaman: Looks solid. Chameleon-esque, but more flexible. Utility, combat buffs and more! Me likey.

Reverie Drinker: Stealing dreams? Ha, as if you could build a class around that!
    Okay, looks pretty good, but relies heavily on splat books. Seems to build nicely on the chosen base classes. Will have a more in depth look once I've finished the dream thief.

Dream Warrior: Eh, think it could use some buffing up. The immediate action abilities seem a little weak. What if you already have Insightful Strike?
    Overall I like it, but think it could use some more oomph at lower levels.
    Capstones seem pretty spot on.

Living Nightmare: The horror (movie villain)! Okay, looks solid. Not much more to say at the moment.

Will try to give more helpful PEACHing once I've wrapped up my entry.
    Looking good so far guys! Keep up the great brewing.

6. - Top - End - #546
    Titan in the Playground

I like the idea, Witch King. In that spirit, and in hope of getting some feedback on the Dreamer of Forebears' Dreams, here's my take on the other entries so far:

Resider-in-Dreams:
    This is profoundly creepy. I can't wait to see the rest of the class features.

Dream Thief
    I like this a lot. Perhaps instead of sneak attack, though, you could advance whatever precision damage they had previously? That way a scout wouldn't have to worry about fulfilling requirements for both skirmish and sneak attack.

Dream Shaman
    I'm not sure what I think about this class. I like the flavor and it seems reasonably well balanced, but the abilities seem a little scattered, like it might be hard for them to fill a particular role. Though I suppose it's possible this is just my bias against jack-of-all-trades PrCs.

Reverie Drinker
    A nifty idea, and I think it's pretty well balanced. Two things, though. First, I'm not sure Dream Scion is appropriate for a class that can't dream; the whole point is that you enter a waking dream-state. Second, it might be worth going over the text with a fine-toothed comb; there are a few typos and some places where the wording could be improved. (Feel free to PM me if you want details and/or help.)

Dream Warrior
    Huh. I swear I didn't read this before making mine, but it's basically a martial version of the Dreamer of Forebears' Dreams. So naturally, I approve.

Living Nightmare
    Okay, I'm scared. There are a few places where you might elaborate on mechanics (such as where you say they "gain the Invocation abilities of a Warlock of their Living Nightmare levels"), and a few typos here and there.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

7. - Top - End - #547
    Ogre in the Playground

Hope no one minds me jumping in on this at the last moment. I like what I've seen so far by everyone else, should be an interesting competition. I particularly like the Dream Thief, but I'm biased towards rogues. Good luck everyone!

8. - Top - End - #548

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hierophant View Post
    Reverie Drinker: Stealing dreams? Ha, as if you could build a class around that!
    Okay, looks pretty good, but relies heavily on splat books. Seems to build nicely on the chosen base classes. Will have a more in depth look once I've finished the dream thief.
    I've gone over the abilities of the reverie drinker to integrate them more into the class, without relying in so many splat books. I have done quite a rewrite of the abilities, trying to simplify them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    Reverie Drinker
    A nifty idea, and I think it's pretty well balanced. Two things, though. First, I'm not sure Dream Scion is appropriate for a class that can't dream; the whole point is that you enter a waking dream-state. Second, it might be worth going over the text with a fine-toothed comb; there are a few typos and some places where the wording could be improved. (Feel free to PM me if you want details and/or help.)
    Thanks, I would really appreciate a spell check, English is not my mother tongue and I make quite a few mistakes. I have rewrited the wording of entering the dream state to try to give the feeling that its the only way they have to dream.

I also grouped many of the dreaming abilities in three main powers.
    -Nightmare curse (using dreams to empower curses)
    -Live the dream (bonus to stats and combat capabilities)
    -Dream drinking (some healing and bonus to skill checks)

I believe that the sleep casting ability was quite strong (so I applied the nerf bat to it) making enemies helpless using a first level spell that you can steal from your party wizard? Too strong.

Some feedback on the other classes

The Resider-in-Dreams: It looks creepily cool, but the prerequisite
    Fair Fight 2d6/+1 seems a bit weird, when I click on the link there is fair fight 1d6/+1 and 2d6/+2 but not 2d6/+1, in fact 2d6/+2 requires 6 levels of knight, and since you also need a level of warlock you need to be level 7 (at least) to enter it, I might raise the skills needed to enter the class to reflect on that. It surely will benefit from some polishing, I can't wait to see the new class abilities, they have pretty cool names.

Dream Thief Ha! A dream thief! Who would build one of those? Have to say that I really like the concept. Is there any limit on your dream strike ability? Can you completely obliterate enemies mental stats? Why won't you choose to make a dream strike? As of now there are nor limits nor penalties to it, maybe you can make it forfeit sneak attack damage to deal ability damage. The other abilities seem cool, I personally like mental mettle and slippery mind those are based on working abilities, are strong and fit thematically.

Dream Shaman This is quite complete and dreams of another life seems like a powerful mechanic that can be used to deal with many different situations. It reminds me of the chameleon (even if its totally not like the chameleon). Mysticism works really well letting it work for many systems, that's a great idea. Dreamcatchers are cool and flavorful, and can be used in many ways, I like the idea of a dream shaman gifting them to their enemies so they can track them easily.

Reverie Drinker that's mine

Dream warrior: I like the class, the concept is cool. But looking at the table I feel that there are too many abilities per level, maybe it's a fighter trying to compensate their lack of class features, but it might be benefited for going over 10 levels, atm it has 15 class features in five levels (that looks like a lot to me). I also like that you increased the cooldown of the capstone (it felt really powerful being able to alternate between one and the other every round).

Living Nightmare: That's scary! Congrats. One nitpick though, its a class that progresses invocations (every level) even adds new invocation but doesn't have any requirements of being a warlock. I see that if you don't have invocations you can take Living Nightmare and count as warlock 1, that can make the PrC a great dip for any undead wanting to enter eldritch theurge or eldritch disciple since Living Nightmare 2 >>> Warlock 2.

Dreamer of forebears: You took two of my favorite caster classes and build a theurge just for them, I like it. It's flavorful and simple, and not too strong since it loses some caster levels among the way. I might push it to tenth level, just because only seven levels seems a bit unusual. The ultimate magus or the archane hierophant could be a good font of inspiration for the class.

Dream speaker: Yay! I was missing a bard PrC, I love bars. I almost tried to include bardic music into the reverie drinker but eventually discarded due to it being slightly out of place. Note that you are missing dream music in the table.
    Last edited by Aeryr; 2012-06-02 at 08:40 PM.
    Currently playing:

9. - Top - End - #549
    Ettin in the Playground

Hrm... I'll have to change prereqs, then; I thought the progression was the same as that of a Scout's Skirmish progression.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

10. - Top - End - #550
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aeryr View Post
    Dream speaker: Yay! I was missing a bard PrC, I love bars. I almost tried to include bardic music into the reverie drinker but eventually discarded due to it being slightly out of place. Note that you are missing dream music in the table.
    Fixed, and moved it to the appropriate section of the class features. Thanks for the catch

Actually, since rereading them, several of these are actually giving me ideas for the horror campaign I've been DM'ing, which is good because I had been having a complete blank on where I was going for about two weeks. Luckily I'm good enough at filler that my players haven't noticed yet.

11. - Top - End - #551
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright, I am pretty much done.

Thoughts? Did I do a good job with the creepy stalker vibe?

And note that Form of the Incubus essentially means that any town or city he walks through is going to have a massive uptick in the number of "crimes of passion" committed, and that Dream Obsession doesn't look like a disease to anyone who hasn't seen it before...

Sweet dreams. About someone...
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

12. - Top - End - #552

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    Alright, I am pretty much done.

Thoughts? Did I do a good job with the creepy stalker vibe?

And note that Form of the Incubus essentially means that any town or city he walks through is going to have a massive uptick in the number of "crimes of passion" committed, and that Dream Obsession doesn't look like a disease to anyone who hasn't seen it before...

Sweet dreams. About someone...
    I could play that guy in a totalitarian setting with huge posters of his face every ****ing where.

Personally I would change:

At 4th level, your ever-sleeping nature expands itself outwards, making it almost impossible for you to wake another being. As long as a creature is within 100' of you, that creature must make a Will Save with a DC of 10+Class Level+your Charisma modifier to wake up for any reason, until they have been outside of the area for more than 8 hours; in addition, any creature within that range receives a penalty on any save they make to prevent themselves from falling asleep equal to one-half your class level.
    As of now if you walk around the city (moving the area) making 8 hours shifts (like every 8 hours you go for a walk) commoners are not going to wake up, ever. Congrats you are the evilest sleeping beauty around. It's a cool ability for an npc but for a pc? Making everyone in a 100' are just don't wake up (and remain helpless) wow...

I would say that within an area, (you might want to make it work as an emanation so people can hide from you to sleep) do not rest, so while they are there sleeping that time doesn't add up to the hours that they need to rest. For example, you like Average Joe and Dubious Hannah so you walk into their room while they are there they do not rest, once you leave they can continue sleeping normally. If they slept 4 hours prior your visit, and you stayed with them for an hour they would still need 4 more hours of sleep, not 8 hours.

In dream obsession I'll will specify that it is every time they fail a save against dream obsession (not against everything). Consider that one of the capstones is turning your familiar fancy in a vector of the disease (what do you mean by that?)

Other than that I really like the class. It is awesomely scary.
    Currently playing:

13. - Top - End - #553
    Ettin in the Playground

The capstone actually gives your FF the entire Form of the Incubus ability, except for the ability to infect people with Dream Obsession; I thought that would result in a massive cascade of everyone just sleeping.

And the capstone also means that your FF now loves you forever... and ever... and ever... and ever...

And I'll fix that typo in Dream Obsession; how'd I not notice that? And that is a good idea with Oneiric Self; I'll fix it ASAP.

I'm glad you liked it; here, have some appropriate posters:

Spoiler
    Show

Last edited by Amechra; 2012-06-03 at 12:38 PM.

14. - Top - End - #554

ElfRangerGuy

I really like the first one

BTW wasn't the deadline yesterday?
    Currently playing:

15. - Top - End - #555
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, though for some reason I read it as July 3rd.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

16. - Top - End - #556
    Firbolg in the Playground

I really like the first one

BTW wasn't the deadline yesterday?
    Sorry, I've been losing track and I currently have a lot of work on my plate. I'm going to keep everything open until Wednesday afternoon, at which point I'll close the thread and open the voting thread.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

17. - Top - End - #557

ElfRangerGuy

Then if anyone wishes to check my grammar and spelling please, do so. English is not my native language and I am quite sure there are places in which wording could be improved for clarity.
    Currently playing:

18. - Top - End - #558
    Titan in the Playground

Then if anyone wishes to check my grammar and spelling please, do so. English is not my native language and I am quite sure there are places in which wording could be improved for clarity.
    I will. I'm looking at it now and will PM you the results.

19. - Top - End - #559

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    I will. I'm looking at it now and will PM you the results.
    Thank you very much, if you ever need help with Spanish let me know.
    Currently playing:

20. - Top - End - #560

Voting thread is up! And sorry about it being late. RL came up.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

21. - Top - End - #561
    Ogre in the Playground

So... uh... ideas for the next contest? I still want to see some Spelljammer. Or we could go with a 7 deadly sins theme (or 7 cardinal virtues). Or prestige classes for a weird creature type (elementals, plants, magical beasts, etc).

22. - Top - End - #562
    Ettin in the Playground

Why don't we do something really weird? Like making it so that you change to controlling two characters, or some such?

23. - Top - End - #563
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    Why don't we do something really weird? Like making it so that you change to controlling two characters, or some such?
    I like this, but maybe open it up further - A contest based around controlling multiple entities/having a "pet", which would allow for stuff like summoning PrCs, "Beastmaster" PrCs, and a mount granting PrC.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avvie by araveugnitsuga
    3DS Friend Code - 4098-2424-2486

24. - Top - End - #564

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by TheGeckoKing View Post
    I like this, but maybe open it up further - A contest based around controlling multiple entities/having a "pet", which would allow for stuff like summoning PrCs, "Beastmaster" PrCs, and a mount granting PrC.
    That gave me an idea... and I would like to explore it
    Currently playing:

25. - Top - End - #565
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheGeckoKing View Post

I would also be like to see this one done.

26. - Top - End - #566
    Ogre in the Playground

*peers around*

Hey folks, been a while (no, I did not die). Not much been going on here lately, but I see that people are asking for a Prestige Class contest again. If you're all okay with myself starting it up, I'd be happy to. It seems that this contest has a slight curse on it, in that whomever runs it always has irl issues like crazy regarding time for it. That being said, I've got time right now, so I'm able to take care of this one.

Thoughts?

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

27. - Top - End - #567
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX View Post
    *peers around*

Hey folks, been a while (no, I did not die). Not much been going on here lately, but I see that people are asking for a Prestige Class contest again. If you're all okay with myself starting it up, I'd be happy to. It seems that this contest has a slight curse on it, in that whomever runs it always has irl issues like crazy regarding time for it. That being said, I've got time right now, so I'm able to take care of this one.

Thoughts?

-X
    Welcome back. Good to hear that things are ok IRL. You've run it before quite well, so I'd like you to run it again if you have the time.
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

28. - Top - End - #568

*peers around*

Thoughts?

-X
    YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY YOU'RE BACK!

I made ToB PrCs! THEY NEED REVIEWS!

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

29. - Top - End - #569
    Troll in the Playground

*peers around*

Thoughts?

-X
    That'd be lovely. Maybe I'll join in.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

30. - Top - End - #570
    Titan in the Playground

*peers around*

Thoughts?

-X
    Welcome home, Granpa Ranty! :3

Let's have fun!
    YouTube channel:

The Asobimashow thread |Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries