New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 21 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11121314151617181920212223242526272829303146 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #601
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: GitP PrC Contest Chat Thread IV

Quote Originally Posted by Zelkon View Post
    So, are you allowed to get the class PEACHed, or does it all have to be your own work? Can you work as a team?
    PEACHing is encouraged, actually, as the whole point is not bragging rights but its to produce quality homebrew. Bring your A game as it were. We as a community have used this contest and ones like it to produce some really fantastic work, and its through mutual critique and praise that we've gotten some truly amazing writing.

As far as teams? No, we're not doing teams atm (we've done that as a theme tho) but yes, it does have to be entirely your own work, and must be new (nothing posted here or elsewhere). Hope you throw your hat into the ring!

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

2. - Top - End - #602
    Bugbear in the Playground

Think I'll throw in my homebrew in this contest! It's been a while since I entered one.
    homebrew

Interesting Stuff: Spellshapers, Metroid as Incarnum

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by BelGareth View Post
    Bindin, this is why I love you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamshifter View Post
    ...I think my poor Monkadin just went to go get drunk. That's not a natural thing for him to do, at all. Thanks bindin.

3. - Top - End - #603

Ugh, I need to get back into the swing of homebrewing. It's been way too long. I've been away from any chance to game for so long motivation is hard to find. Maybe next contest.

Current Contest Entries:

Prestige Class Contest: In the Shadows -The Ghost Wyrm

Base Class Contest: Altar of Naught - The Nihilist

Monster Competition: Beings of Legend - The Omni Template

Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #604
    Halfling in the Playground

Well, my original idea... changed, ever so slightly. Again.
    I think I'm going to enjoy brewing up the daemonchain cultist more though, so that's okay.
    I've never really worked with Incarnum before, so this should be fun. Admittedly, it's not a full meld-shaping class, but still. Fun.

P.S. Lots of entries this time! Nice.

5. - Top - End - #605
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by hierophant View Post
    Well, my original idea... changed, ever so slightly. Again.
    I think I'm going to enjoy brewing up the daemonchain cultist more though, so that's okay.
    I've never really worked with Incarnum before, so this should be fun. Admittedly, it's not a full meld-shaping class, but still. Fun.

P.S. Lots of entries this time! Nice.
    Helps that there was a hiatus, in a way. The contest faded away for a while and with it back, now we're in full swing like we oughta be :D

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

6. - Top - End - #606
    Barbarian in the Playground

Do saves have to be normal progressions (ie. Poor and Good) or can they follow a non-traditional pattern?

7. - Top - End - #607
    Ogre in the Playground

Do saves have to be normal progressions (ie. Poor and Good) or can they follow a non-traditional pattern?
    I can't think of a situation where the normal progressions shouldn't be used to fit into a class. That being said, both Pathfinder and 3.5 have their specific save progressions for a reason and they're relatively valid reasons. If you feel that you must, well, by all means, but understand a lot of people may balk at your class specifically because the save progression "doesn't look quite right". I would strongly caution you against it; instead perhaps add a class feature that specifically grants a small untyped bonus to a specific singular save if you want to fake it.

My 2 cents anyhow.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:

8. - Top - End - #608
    Troll in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Does anyone else notice the lack of racial restriction on Holy Mount? I'm busy trying to imagine a human holy mount giving his halfling rider a piggyback ride into the battlefield. It is truly a wondrous image.
    I'm try not to be too vain but this was too perfect not to sig.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Fury View Post
    okay RoC, that is enough! the gitp boards can only take so much awsome, you might actually hurt somebody with this one!
    At long last, I have an extended signature

9. - Top - End - #609
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Realms of Chaos View Post
    Does anyone else notice the lack of racial restriction on Holy Mount? I'm busy trying to imagine a human holy mount giving his halfling rider a piggyback ride into the battlefield. It is truly a wondrous image.
    Now all I am seeing is some weird scene from Gurren Lagann with Kamina screaming about fighting spirit with Simon holding a drill, weeping on his back as they charge into battle :P

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:

10. - Top - End - #610

Who run Bartertown?
    Gnomish Decker by me! You can find more of my work here!!! Also, my Tumblr, if you're into that
    Spoiler
    Show
    You fell for my firewall, chummer
    The data highways are infinite and I've info left to tread

11. - Top - End - #611
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, I put up the initial post of my entry. It's far from done, and most of the abilities have terrible wording (suggestions for fixing that would be appreciated), but it is a start, and hopefully is understandable. It is a class built on the idea of combining with your familiar to be stronger, but goes about it a bit differently from most of the other people who have put forward such an idea I think. In any event feedback is welcome. As a side note, would granting it regeneration as a capstone be too much?

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

12. - Top - End - #612

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Owrtho View Post
    Well, I put up the initial post of my entry. It's far from done, and most of the abilities have terrible wording (suggestions for fixing that would be appreciated), but it is a start, and hopefully is understandable. It is a class built on the idea of combining with your familiar to be stronger, but goes about it a bit differently from most of the other people who have put forward such an idea I think. In any event feedback is welcome. As a side note, would granting it regeneration as a capstone be too much?

Owrtho
    Idk on the capstone, but doesn't 20 creatures/pool seem a little too much? Especially when that adds up to 200 creatures at 10th level? Just a thought.
    Newest Work: Pyromancer - My submission for Base Class Contest X
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

Quote Originally Posted by chess435 View Post
    May Chuck Norris smile upon you.

Finall got an Extended Homebrew Signature, courtesy of Cipherthe3vil

13. - Top - End - #613
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pyromancer999 View Post
    Idk on the capstone, but doesn't 20 creatures/pool seem a little too much? Especially when that adds up to 200 creatures at 10th level? Just a thought.
    220 you mean. You need two creatures to qualify which each get made into a separate pool. As for the number being 200, it's not like you actually have that many creatures. Any time you have one of the familiars, you randomly select 1 of the 20 for it to be, but you can't have more out than you have pools. The point of the 20 per pool is that each pool be sufficiently random in what creature comes out, while still allowing you to specialize pools some for a given task. Also, nothing stops the player from making all pools the same (the limitations are only within the specific pool).

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

14. - Top - End - #614

I did consider that. And I decided: why not? What's the worst that could happen?

Now we just need some small, horse-like race for a human to carry around and the cycle is complete.

15. - Top - End - #615
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dspeyer View Post
    I did consider that. And I decided: why not? What's the worst that could happen?

Now we just need some small, horse-like race for a human to carry around and the cycle is complete.
    Some sort of a cross between a dwarf and a Shetland pony, be almost poetic.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:

16. - Top - End - #616

If anyone wants to PEACH my entry so far, far be it from me to stop you *hinthint*

17. - Top - End - #617
    Titan in the Playground

If anyone wants to PEACH my entry so far, far be it from me to stop you *hinthint*
    I would but without Necromantic Powers or Undead Ally typed up, and with only 2 options for Bolster Undead which as written implies you ought to get 4 minimum, it's kind of impossible. There's just not enough there, when your three main abilities aren't there and neither is your capstone.
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)

18. - Top - End - #618
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

Certainly.

Finish the class before asking for PEACH. That is my critique.

19. - Top - End - #619

PEACH was definately not the right word.

20. - Top - End - #620

Does anyone have any ideas for the Necromantic Flexibility ability for spontaneous casters?

21. - Top - End - #621
    Ogre in the Playground

Does anyone have any ideas for the Necromantic Flexibility ability for spontaneous casters?
    Give them extra spells known that have to be spent on the spells you let prepared casters cast spontaneously. If you already required them to know those spells, just give theme extra spells known. It's a similar effect, and helpful without being crazy good.

22. - Top - End - #622

RedWizardGuy

What Glimbur said, although I'd probably make a requirement that they would have to be Necromancy school spells, as that makes more sense. Also, for future PEACHing of a class, PrC or otherwise, it helps not to have two versions of it out there, as I've noticed you've also started a thread outside the contest. It makes it more easy to change one version as opposed to two. Just a hint for future contests.
    Last edited by Pyromancer999; 2012-07-30 at 09:43 PM.
    Newest Work: Pyromancer - My submission for Base Class Contest X
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

Quote Originally Posted by chess435 View Post
    May Chuck Norris smile upon you.

Finall got an Extended Homebrew Signature, courtesy of Cipherthe3vil

23. - Top - End - #623
    Ogre in the Playground

Well folks, here we are, halfway through the contest. Two more weeks remaining.

Let's see what we got here...

The Tamer of the Devourer is neat and fun, quite different. The writing style is funny, and at first I was thinking, "Oh gods, not another joke class" but while the writing is very tongue in cheek, the class is not intended to be a complete rip on the contest and is in fact a serious entry. Good stuff, made me laugh a few times.

Soul Bound Postillon, let's see.. picture is broken, and the class is unfinished. Two more weeks!

Familiarist is complete looking and ready to compete, good looking class as well. I like it!

Divided Soul is nearly complete. Picture is coming up broken to me and I personally think it needs some introduction fluff to get you into it, and some of the background fluff isn't complete. But so far so good, and some more exposition on a few of the abilities. Otherwise it's got some good ideas in it and I like the concept.

Alchemic Archer is cool, I like the pet being a bomb-sniffing/delivering animal. Obviously there isn't such a thing in PF as a grenade launcher but this comes very close.

Abberant Shepherd is seriously neat, I really like Lovecraftian horror and you've gone and made something pretty awesome with it. LOTS of Fluff, love it. Good work!

Another sneaky class, the Promethean Psion surprised me. At first I saw the picture and groaned but it actually has a really cool flavor to it and neat abilities to boot, really brings those barbaric types out to get neat substance to them. Good stuff, goofy picture :P

Soulbond Necromancer, first off, awesome pic. Next, cool ideas here, but I personally don't see any reason to ditch caster levels on this one except at first level unless the undead companion is going to get a heck of lot of cool. Additionally, the class (obviously) needs finishing with the Reclaim the Lost Soul ability. Fantastic start though!

Friend of Undeath isn't finished enough for me to comment other than to say keep it up!

Holy Mount just makes me laugh, because its a complete reversal yet oddly not of the theme. Neat ideas though! I dig it!

Daemonchain Cultist is unfinished but has a neat premise.

Body of Chaos is really friggin' neat, I dig it! Just needs some of the fluff finished and its good to go!

Protege of the Iron Dragon is also unfinished but has a really neat concept as well.

Okay, that's what I got so far, and this is also to bump us back to the 1st page. Two more weeks, lets finish these entryies, maybe get another 4-5 of em, and call it a win!

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:

24. - Top - End - #624

Anyone have a suggestion for a necromantic power? Like, just a concept.

25. - Top - End - #625
    Firbolg in the Playground

Got some more work to do on the familiarist, but it's mainly minor stuff and abilities.

Now it's done.
    Last edited by EdroGrimshell; 2012-08-03 at 08:26 PM.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by GFawkes View Post
    You didn't poke fate with a stick. You set fate on fire, then whacked it with a 2x4 several times.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackwind1kaze View Post
    good thing they did body attribute instead of Physical attribute, otherwise the stats would look like:

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

The Hub, for PTA & PTU community building. If you're interested, take a look.

26. - Top - End - #626
    Ogre in the Playground

Anyone have a suggestion for a necromantic power? Like, just a concept.
    For what levels?
    My homebrew:

Spoiler
    Show

Completed:
    ToB disciplines:

The Narrow Bridge
    The Broken Blade

Prestige classess:
    Disciple of Karsus -PrC for Karsites.
    The Seekers of Lost Swords and the Preserver of Future Blades Two interelated Tome of Battle Prcs,
    Master of the Hidden Seal - Binder/Divine hybrid
    Knight of the Grave- Necromancy using Gish

Worthwhile links:

Age of Warriors

27. - Top - End - #627

The inability to create a PC with a mount large enough to step on enemies like they were ants seems a serious design flaw in pathfinder. I'm going to try to remedy that.

I'm going to give it a day or so to sit before coming back to it with fresh eyes. I'd love to hear opinions in the meanwhile. Honestly I'm worried I didn't quite make it big enough...

28. - Top - End - #628
    Ogre in the Playground

Still got no clue on how to make my class concept in any way sane in power level, I fear that if I get it even slightly wrong I would hit a tier -1 (thats a tier MINUS one folks. even making tier 0 cry) balance there with something that can literally be never beaten by anything else at a similar level.

How on earth do you balance out the ability to make fully functional clones of yourself when you are a godamn caster?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Cormag81 View Post
    2117: No matter how good a debater I am out of character there is no way to logically get out of falling after your paladin kills his patron god.

29. - Top - End - #629

Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaZ View Post
    For what levels?
    Any. Concepts can be made to fit any levels (well, kind of), and they can always scale higher. Remember, they lose 9th level spells, so they can't be level 9.

How on earth do you balance out the ability to make fully functional clones of yourself when you are a godamn caster?!?!?
    Caster level one, must choose a singe school for spells, lose 9th level spells? Just some suggestions.

30. - Top - End - #630
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by boomwolf View Post
    Split hp pool? Shared casting pool? Lose Spell-levels? Some combination?
    Peanut Half-Dragon Necromancer by Kurien.

Current Projects:

Group: The Harrowing Halloween Harvest of Horror Part 2

Personal Silliness: Vote what Soulknife "Fix"/Inspired Class Should I make??? Past Work Expansion Caricatures.

Old: My homebrew (updated 9/9)