Page 26 of 50 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
Results 751 to 780 of 1482
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Lord_Gareth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007

    Default Re: GitP PrC Contest Chat Thread IV

    Quote Originally Posted by Xallace View Post
    Like... reality is just an illusion, and my hat is just an illusion, ergo controlling my hat controls reality?

    Fedora Solipsists with a dash of Buddhism?
    Yes. Exactly that. The hat rules the illusion, so mastering the hat gives you control over the illusion.

    Teaser post for my class is up. Not much time to work on it RIGHT NOW, but will do so MOAR later.


    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

  2. - Top - End - #752
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ErrantX's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Midwest City, OK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: GitP PrC Contest Chat Thread IV

    Good choice of item, Gareth. Good choice.

    -X
    Chris Bennett
    Lead Designer (Path of War)
    Dreamscarred Press

    My credits:
    The Path of War: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, by Dreamscarred Press, available now!!
    My extended homebrew signature!


    Platinum Contributor to the Avatar D20 Project!

  3. - Top - End - #753
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Djinn_in_Tonic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Stuck in a bottle.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: GitP PrC Contest Chat Thread IV

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Yes. Exactly that. The hat rules the illusion, so mastering the hat gives you control over the illusion.
    While interesting, I think there are better items for this concept. Maybe some sort of cursed "Mask of False Sight" or something.

    Ingredients

    2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge


    Instructions

    Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

  4. - Top - End - #754
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Hyooz's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2008

    Default Re: GitP PrC Contest Chat Thread IV

    What was the ruling on alchemical items? Such as, say, Universal Solvent?

    Current Contest Entries:

    Prestige Class Contest: In the Shadows -The Ghost Wyrm

    Base Class Contest: Altar of Naught - The Nihilist

    Monster Competition: Beings of Legend - The Omni Template

    Spoiler
    Show


  5. - Top - End - #755
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ErrantX's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Midwest City, OK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: GitP PrC Contest Chat Thread IV

    Quote Originally Posted by Hyooz View Post
    What was the ruling on alchemical items? Such as, say, Universal Solvent?
    Universal Solvent isn't alchemical, its magical (Wondrous Item) but its a one use item. Just stay away from one use items, because they're not going to have the longevity. Now if you made yourself a brand new magic item that was like some sort of alchemical item producer as the centerpiece of the class, that's different. But generally, one use items like anti-glue isn't in keeping with an item of power. Anything that is wholly consumed by using it isn't fitting with the contest.

    -X
    Chris Bennett
    Lead Designer (Path of War)
    Dreamscarred Press

    My credits:
    The Path of War: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, by Dreamscarred Press, available now!!
    My extended homebrew signature!


    Platinum Contributor to the Avatar D20 Project!

  6. - Top - End - #756
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    boomwolf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    In your head.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: GitP PrC Contest Chat Thread IV

    Does it have to be a single magic item, or can the class be focused on a "type" of magic items (as in, "lord of the rings", except I am not aiming for rings.)


    Quote Originally Posted by Cormag81 View Post
    2117: No matter how good a debater I am out of character there is no way to logically get out of falling after your paladin kills his patron god.

  7. - Top - End - #757
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Hyooz's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2008

    Default Re: GitP PrC Contest Chat Thread IV

    Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX View Post
    Universal Solvent isn't alchemical, its magical (Wondrous Item) but its a one use item. Just stay away from one use items, because they're not going to have the longevity. Now if you made yourself a brand new magic item that was like some sort of alchemical item producer as the centerpiece of the class, that's different. But generally, one use items like anti-glue isn't in keeping with an item of power. Anything that is wholly consumed by using it isn't fitting with the contest.

    -X
    So a class based around the production and enhancement of one-use items would not be kosher, unless said production/enhancement came from a different item that did the producing/enhancing?

    Current Contest Entries:

    Prestige Class Contest: In the Shadows -The Ghost Wyrm

    Base Class Contest: Altar of Naught - The Nihilist

    Monster Competition: Beings of Legend - The Omni Template

    Spoiler
    Show


  8. - Top - End - #758
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ErrantX's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Midwest City, OK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: GitP PrC Contest Chat Thread IV

    Quote Originally Posted by boomwolf View Post
    Does it have to be a single magic item, or can the class be focused on a "type" of magic items (as in, "lord of the rings", except I am not aiming for rings.)
    Single item, the item has to be central to the class. A master of the rod of lordly might would work, but not a class based around using a plethora of rods.

    Quote Originally Posted by Hyooz View Post
    So a class based around the production and enhancement of one-use items would not be kosher, unless said production/enhancement came from a different item that did the producing/enhancing?
    Correct. One item and one item only.

    -X
    Chris Bennett
    Lead Designer (Path of War)
    Dreamscarred Press

    My credits:
    The Path of War: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, by Dreamscarred Press, available now!!
    My extended homebrew signature!


    Platinum Contributor to the Avatar D20 Project!

  9. - Top - End - #759
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    boomwolf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    In your head.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: GitP PrC Contest Chat Thread IV

    Well...there goes one concept out the window...

    Fixing one magic item is hard...most of them do nothing more then mimicking spells, and the unique ones are usually too bizarre to base a class around, or too simple to properly expend upon.


    Quote Originally Posted by Cormag81 View Post
    2117: No matter how good a debater I am out of character there is no way to logically get out of falling after your paladin kills his patron god.

  10. - Top - End - #760
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Hyooz's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2008

    Default Re: GitP PrC Contest Chat Thread IV

    Quote Originally Posted by boomwolf View Post
    Well...there goes one concept out the window...

    Fixing one magic item is hard...most of them do nothing more then mimicking spells, and the unique ones are usually too bizarre to base a class around, or too simple to properly expend upon.
    The biggest obstacle I've seen is finding a magic item that is both useful and interesting without being prohibitively expensive. Something like the Helm of Brilliance (which I believe Glimbur is working with) is hundreds of thousands of gil.

    This contest provides some interesting balance challenges from the get-go. I'm enjoying the mental exercise.

    Current Contest Entries:

    Prestige Class Contest: In the Shadows -The Ghost Wyrm

    Base Class Contest: Altar of Naught - The Nihilist

    Monster Competition: Beings of Legend - The Omni Template

    Spoiler
    Show


  11. - Top - End - #761
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ErrantX's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Midwest City, OK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: GitP PrC Contest Chat Thread IV

    Quote Originally Posted by boomwolf View Post
    Well...there goes one concept out the window...

    Fixing one magic item is hard...most of them do nothing more then mimicking spells, and the unique ones are usually too bizarre to base a class around, or too simple to properly expend upon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hyooz View Post
    The biggest obstacle I've seen is finding a magic item that is both useful and interesting without being prohibitively expensive. Something like the Helm of Brilliance (which I believe Glimbur is working with) is hundreds of thousands of gil.

    This contest provides some interesting balance challenges from the get-go. I'm enjoying the mental exercise.
    You could always just invent your own brand new magic item to base a class on? That's totally okay and encouraged as well. As always, I've also placed suggestions that people can feel free to make a class based on.

    -X
    Chris Bennett
    Lead Designer (Path of War)
    Dreamscarred Press

    My credits:
    The Path of War: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, by Dreamscarred Press, available now!!
    My extended homebrew signature!


    Platinum Contributor to the Avatar D20 Project!

  12. - Top - End - #762
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Hyooz's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2008

    Default Re: GitP PrC Contest Chat Thread IV

    Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX View Post
    You could always just invent your own brand new magic item to base a class on? That's totally okay and encouraged as well. As always, I've also placed suggestions that people can feel free to make a class based on.

    -X
    Part of my goal for these contests has been to homebrew as little as possible. Not out of laziness, but out of a general design philosophy aimed toward universality. My starting point is making my homebrew as accessible to as many people as possible, and part of that is designing things such that as little as possible needs to be accepted by a theoretical DM. As much as I love ToB, I'm reluctant to submit homebrew classes with homebrew disciplines because that's a lot for a potential DM to sift through and accept.

    Now, I've started the design process on a class that will make use of a homebrew item for this contest, because I will stray from said philosophy when inspiration calls for it, but I figured I'd at least explain my initial reluctance to jump out of the core items.

    Current Contest Entries:

    Prestige Class Contest: In the Shadows -The Ghost Wyrm

    Base Class Contest: Altar of Naught - The Nihilist

    Monster Competition: Beings of Legend - The Omni Template

    Spoiler
    Show


  13. - Top - End - #763
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    sirpercival's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2011

    Default Re: GitP PrC Contest Chat Thread IV

    My entry is up, I just have to finish the NPC build.
    (member in good standing of the troll-feeder's guild)

    I am the assassin of productivity.

    Super boss Muscle Wizard avvie by Ceika.

    gitp extended sig
    minmaxboards extended sig (more stuff)

  14. - Top - End - #764
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Lord_Gareth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007

    Default Re: GitP PrC Contest Chat Thread IV

    Opening fluff up, having some difficulty making some mechanical decisions about my PrC. We'll see how it goes.


    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

  15. - Top - End - #765
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Lord_Gareth's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007

    Default Re: GitP PrC Contest Chat Thread IV

    And now for the ever-popular, "Guess what Gareth's class does based on the ability names!" game!


    Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

  16. - Top - End - #766
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2011

    Default Re: GitP PrC Contest Chat Thread IV

    quick question what do all of you think about a detective pcr based of the lens of detection. im shooting for Sherlock Holmes.
    Slet " Always the opportunist, Devlin."
    Devlin " As long as there are still opportunity."

    Homebrew Signature

  17. - Top - End - #767
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Morph Bark's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Freljord

    Default Re: GitP PrC Contest Chat Thread IV

    Quote Originally Posted by devlingreye View Post
    quick question what do all of you think about a detective pcr based of the lens of detection. im shooting for Sherlock Holmes.
    Go for it. My first PrC ever was something like that.
    Strawberries = awesome avatarist.
    Current Projects:
    EMPIRE! -- A Community World-Building Game full of role-playing and strategy
    Analyzing RPG Systems
    Spoiler
    Show
    Campaign setting! Homebrew Tier Compendium! NPCs!
    FanFiction.net | DeviantART | Homebrewer's Signature

  18. - Top - End - #768
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2011

    Default Re: GitP PrC Contest Chat Thread IV

    oh its not my first. I have written plenty of homebrew Prc's. I just thought it would fill a hole that pathfinder hasn't filled yet.
    Slet " Always the opportunist, Devlin."
    Devlin " As long as there are still opportunity."

    Homebrew Signature

  19. - Top - End - #769
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Eurus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Illinois
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: GitP PrC Contest Chat Thread IV

    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    And now for the ever-popular, "Guess what Gareth's class does based on the ability names!" game!
    Seven League Stride: Something mobility-enhancing, possibly for overland movement rather than tactical. I doubt that it literally involves taking seven-league steps, but who knows?

    Walk it Off: Heal in any turn that you move? Could be almost any defensive ability, though.

    Spring into Action: Sounds like either some measure of improved initiative, or a less-terrible Spring Attack option.

    Eternal Traveler: Sounds kind of like a "turn into a [creature type]" capstone. Stops needing to sleep/eat/stop, maybe.

    Footwork: Probably a list of abilities that you get to pick one from each level.



    EDIT: I feel like some of the awesome rods deserve a class. Immovable, Absorbtion, Lordly Might, Wonder, Rulership... but if someone does a class for the Rod of Metal and Mineral Detection, I will tip my hat to them.
    Last edited by Eurus; 2012-08-22 at 05:54 PM.
    Avatar by araveugnitsuga.

  20. - Top - End - #770
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Xallace's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Cocoon

    Default Re: GitP PrC Contest Chat Thread IV

    I'm trying to figure out an awesome name for a paladin PrC focusing on the Rod of the Python.

    ...I should probably figure out exactly which serpent mythos I want to pull from first.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

    Spoiler
    Show
    Coplantor's Official Second-In-Command 2.0. It's alot like being Will Riker, but still with less alien women and also pirates.

    Quote Originally Posted by Avatars
    "Epic Abjurer" avatar by the astounding Fayt!
    "The-Fantastic-Protectimaton-MK-VIII" avatar by the wondrous KingGolem!
    "You-Know-You-Want-It" Paladin MD avatar by the mighty thelizard!
    "Eat-Steel-Vile-Flu" Paladin MD avatar by the sexier-than-I Dr. Bath!

  21. - Top - End - #771
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    sirpercival's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2011

    Default Re: GitP PrC Contest Chat Thread IV

    Quote Originally Posted by Xallace View Post
    I'm trying to figure out an awesome name for a paladin PrC focusing on the Rod of the Python.

    ...I should probably figure out exactly which serpent mythos I want to pull from first.
    Paladin++? Pyladin?
    (member in good standing of the troll-feeder's guild)

    I am the assassin of productivity.

    Super boss Muscle Wizard avvie by Ceika.

    gitp extended sig
    minmaxboards extended sig (more stuff)

  22. - Top - End - #772
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    EdroGrimshell's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2008

    Default Re: GitP PrC Contest Chat Thread IV

    I'm doing a PrC based on a Goodberry Bracelet.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by GFawkes View Post
    You didn't poke fate with a stick. You set fate on fire, then whacked it with a 2x4 several times.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackwind1kaze View Post
    good thing they did body attribute instead of Physical attribute, otherwise the stats would look like:

    P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

    XD

    Spoiler
    Show


    The Hub, for PTA & PTU community building. If you're interested, take a look.

  23. - Top - End - #773
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    MoleMage's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    University of Oklahoma
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: GitP PrC Contest Chat Thread IV

    Either Hand of the Mage or Glove of Storing. Haven't decided which one yet.

  24. - Top - End - #774
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Zaydos's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    The Beastlands
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: GitP PrC Contest Chat Thread IV

    I'll admit that a havversack is certainly handy, and that boots of striding and springing will take you far. There is a certain squamous appeal to a Knight of the Serpent, and something captivating about aberrant spheres, but even so I look upon these ideas and something occurs to me. If even the Apparatus of Kwalish is deserving of a prestige class, then what about the humble Cloak? How often has your character's life been saved by the Resistance it offers? How often has a saving throw's doom been averted by its gentle aegis? Yet it gets no respect, or gratitude when the greatest homage and dedication we can offer it is nigh?

    This I will not stand for. When girding myself for adventure, without my Cloak I may as well be naked, and to it I will pay my respect and offering.

    ...

    If you can't tell I'm going to throw my hat in the ring with a Cloak of Resistance based PrC because unless I'm a caster with Superior Resistance it is the top thing on my list to buy because that saving throw bonus is the difference between life and death all too often. Just need to actually buckle down and make it soon.
    Peanut Dracolich avatar by Emperor Ing.

    My homebrew (now includes a giant undead brain)

    If you ever want to try some of my homebrew and need a DM send me a PM, and if you are playing some, I'd love to know how it works out.

  25. - Top - End - #775
    Troll in the Playground
     
    DMofDarkness's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: GitP PrC Contest Chat Thread IV

    I have an interesting idea for this contest floating around in my head...

    Would 'possessing' a Magical Location count as an Item for the purposes of this contest?
    Xykon avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

  26. - Top - End - #776
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    ErrantX's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Midwest City, OK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: GitP PrC Contest Chat Thread IV

    Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    I have an interesting idea for this contest floating around in my head...

    Would 'possessing' a Magical Location count as an Item for the purposes of this contest?
    I had forgotten about magical locations, maybe PM me a the dime store synopsis of your idea? I'm leery of it.

    -X
    Chris Bennett
    Lead Designer (Path of War)
    Dreamscarred Press

    My credits:
    The Path of War: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, by Dreamscarred Press, available now!!
    My extended homebrew signature!


    Platinum Contributor to the Avatar D20 Project!

  27. - Top - End - #777
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Xallace's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Cocoon

    Default Re: GitP PrC Contest Chat Thread IV

    I didn't even think about it but the most difficult part of writing up this class is phrasing things in a way that don't sound like horrible innuendo.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

    Spoiler
    Show
    Coplantor's Official Second-In-Command 2.0. It's alot like being Will Riker, but still with less alien women and also pirates.

    Quote Originally Posted by Avatars
    "Epic Abjurer" avatar by the astounding Fayt!
    "The-Fantastic-Protectimaton-MK-VIII" avatar by the wondrous KingGolem!
    "You-Know-You-Want-It" Paladin MD avatar by the mighty thelizard!
    "Eat-Steel-Vile-Flu" Paladin MD avatar by the sexier-than-I Dr. Bath!

  28. - Top - End - #778
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Eurus's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Illinois
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: GitP PrC Contest Chat Thread IV

    Quote Originally Posted by Xallace View Post
    I didn't even think about it but the most difficult part of writing up this class is phrasing things in a way that don't sound like horrible innuendo.
    I feel like you're doing it wrong.
    Avatar by araveugnitsuga.

  29. - Top - End - #779
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    sirpercival's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2011

    Default Re: GitP PrC Contest Chat Thread IV

    Question: Is an example encounter + NPC stat block a necessary fluff inclusion?


    Also, inspired by this contest, I spurred one into motion over on minmaxboards if anyone wants to participate.
    (member in good standing of the troll-feeder's guild)

    I am the assassin of productivity.

    Super boss Muscle Wizard avvie by Ceika.

    gitp extended sig
    minmaxboards extended sig (more stuff)

  30. - Top - End - #780
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    Glimbur's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Midwest, not Middle East
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: GitP PrC Contest Chat Thread IV

    Quote Originally Posted by sirpercival View Post
    Question: Is an example encounter + NPC stat block a necessary fluff inclusion?
    Nope. It is allowed, and maybe even encouraged, but not necessary.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •