New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 27 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2171819202122232425262728293031323334353637 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #781
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: GitP PrC Contest Chat Thread IV

All right, I have a different idea for a class this contest. Dibs on Marvellous Pigments...
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

2. - Top - End - #782

Okay, what the flaming hell? Did no one else read the rule where you can't re-post your class on these boards (or technically any other boards) until the voting is finished? First it happens in the last competition, and now again in this one. Folks, it is not allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

3. - Top - End - #783
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    All right, I have a different idea for a class this contest. Dibs on Marvellous Pigments...
    Aren't those consumables?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth
    Okay, what the flaming hell? Did no one else read the rule where you can't re-post your class on these boards (or technically any other boards) until the voting is finished? First it happens in the last competition, and now again in this one. Folks, it is not allowed.
    I know it's a rule we've discussed in the chat thread, but looking over this particular contests rules, I can't find it. There's a passage about not using previously posted classes. Perhaps it was a small oversight? Although I guess you could say it helps to weed out the competition. Eh? Eh?
    Also, I guess I should have asked this beforehand, but: is it alright that I have my class split into two posts (main class + special companion) or should I merge them together?
    Last edited by Xallace; 2012-08-25 at 12:37 PM.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Spoiler
    Show
    Coplantor's Official Second-In-Command 2.0. It's alot like being Will Riker, but still with less alien women and also pirates.

Quote Originally Posted by Avatars
    "Epic Abjurer" avatar by the astounding Fayt!
    "The-Fantastic-Protectimaton-MK-VIII" avatar by the wondrous KingGolem!
    "You-Know-You-Want-It" Paladin MD avatar by the mighty thelizard!
    "Eat-Steel-Vile-Flu" Paladin MD avatar by the sexier-than-I Dr. Bath!

4. - Top - End - #784
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    I'm guessing you're talking about mine, the livewood daughter? I realized as I finished it doesn't quite fit the contest guidelines, so I gave it it's own topic. I just haven't had the time to update the contest post.
    Author of The Auspician's Handbook and The Tempestarian's Handbook for Spheres of Power.
    Ask me (or the other authors) anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lateral View Post
    Well, of course I'm paranoid about everything. Hell, with Jeff as DM, I'd be paranoid even if we were playing a game set in The Magic Kiddie Funland of Perfectly Flat Planes and Sugar Plums.
    Greenman by Bradakhan/Spring Greenman by Comissar/Autumn Greenman by Sgt. Pepper/Winter Greenman by gurgleflep

5. - Top - End - #785
    Barbarian in the Playground

Lord_Gareth: That was my bad last time. I asked the question and misinterpreted the answer.
    Akrim.elf made my wonderful ponytar.
    Spoiler
    Show

"Curse that infernal yellowish-brown text right under comics! When shall you turn normal brown again?" -every OOTS fan ever.
    I support laziness. Call me Z if you can't be bothered to spell my full name.
    Come help build a fantasy setting!

6. - Top - End - #786
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    Those are consumables normally, but they do create a permanent effect; those are a hard one to classify. Perhaps something that grants unlimited uses of the pigments, like a Marvelous Brush to go with said pigments that does so, or the class specifically makes it never run dry? Or the ability to refill it? It's because it makes a permanent effect I'm more okay with it than say a potion or a scroll.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Cool down man, it's not the end of the world :D They're first timers to my knowledge and.... (see below)

Quote Originally Posted by Xallace View Post
    I know it's a rule we've discussed in the chat thread, but looking over this particular contests rules, I can't find it. There's a passage about not using previously posted classes. Perhaps it was a small oversight? Although I guess you could say it helps to weed out the competition. Eh? Eh?
    Also, I guess I should have asked this beforehand, but: is it alright that I have my class split into two posts (main class + special companion) or should I merge them together?
    I used apparently an older version of my template as I wasn't at my desktop and was grabbing it off of my thumb drive. It should be in there, but apparently I've been using an older version for a while now. Meh. Its added in now. Please do not post outside of the contest until voting happens.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff the Green View Post
    I'm guessing you're talking about mine, the livewood daughter? I realized as I finished it doesn't quite fit the contest guidelines, so I gave it it's own topic. I just haven't had the time to update the contest post.
    Yeah... I'm not thrilled with people posting outside of the contest, but as I believe you're new to the contest (correct me please if I'm wrong) I'll just give you a friendly please don't do that? I'm not going to DQ on the first offense, so if you decide to redo a new class or keep this one, its up to you. Livewood was a neat theme.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelkon View Post
    Lord_Gareth: That was my bad last time. I asked the question and misinterpreted the answer.
    Happens, just try not to do it again ; we're mostly friendly and the idea is to have fun and be creative. The rules are in place for thematic reasons mostly and to not curry an unfair advantage in voting. But at the end of the day, we're just friends being creative with each other and that is the whole point to this contest

-X
    Last edited by ErrantX; 2012-08-25 at 03:11 PM.
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

7. - Top - End - #787

Can you post a peach thread that leads to your post in the contest, out of curiosity?
    Spoiler
    Show

"Curse that infernal yellowish-brown text right under comics! When shall you turn normal brown again?" -every OOTS fan ever.

8. - Top - End - #788
    Colossus in the Playground

Hm. A staff wizard is an idea, but it's hardly original. The Ram-ring brawler sounds mighty fun, but I feel cheap taking something that was posted in the first post. I might do it anyway, somewhere away from the contest, though.

Edit: got it. Dips on Cape of the Mountebank.
    Last edited by Eldan; 2012-08-25 at 07:22 PM.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

9. - Top - End - #789

Quote Originally Posted by Zelkon View Post
    Can you post a peach thread that leads to your post in the contest, out of curiosity?
    I'd hazard a guess at no, since the idea is that one entry shouldn't have a huge critique lead on the others. It's effectively the same as making a second thread: you have more opportunity to revise than others would.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

10. - Top - End - #790

Shoot, my joke broke the thread. Fixing.
    Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #791
    Pixie in the Playground

Hey guys if anyone gets a chance would they mind peaching my class for me. I think it would be a cool class to play, plus one of my pc's would like to play it.
    Slet " Always the opportunist, Devlin."
    Devlin " As long as there are still opportunity."

Homebrew Signature

12. - Top - End - #792
    Ettin in the Playground

Oh man. I wasn't going to enter, but I had an idea. Lyre of Building, aw yeah.

13. - Top - End - #793

The Viscergist has joined the fight!

The tone is more... flippant than I typically use for these contests, but do not mistake it for a joke class. This was a really fun challenge, and while it will likely require some tweaking, I'm excited to have it up.

Current Contest Entries:

Prestige Class Contest: In the Shadows -The Ghost Wyrm

Base Class Contest: Altar of Naught - The Nihilist

Monster Competition: Beings of Legend - The Omni Template

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #794
    Ogre in the Playground

That's disgusting and awesome.

EDIT: On a note unrelated to my original post but still appropriate to the thread, Preliminary stages of the Dancer of Blades (using Dancing Weapons) have begun. I am open to suggestions for Dancing Weapon Tricks.
    Last edited by MoleMage; 2012-08-27 at 10:48 PM.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

15. - Top - End - #795

Quote Originally Posted by MoleMage View Post
    That's disgusting and awesome.
    Exactly what I was going for!

Current Contest Entries:

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #796
    Orc in the Playground

The Card Shark is in the running. It's a bit hard to critique until the Deck of Battle is written up tomorrow (it'll use the same number of cards as the Deck of Many Things), but what do you think of the core mechanics? I was really pleased with the results of throwing this together.

The only Deck of Battle mechanics that need to be known to critique the class are: it takes a Swift action to draw from the Deck of Battle and a Standard action to activate a card.
    Last edited by Cheesy74; 2012-08-28 at 12:15 AM.
    HOMEBREW
    The Phase Dancer - A spellsword who has learned to use teleportation to stab people.
    The Stalwart - An unarmed, unarmored wall of muscle that fights with surges of strength and massive combat maneuver combos.

17. - Top - End - #797
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesy74 View Post
    The Card Shark is in the running. It's a bit hard to critique until the Deck of Battle is written up tomorrow (it'll use the same number of cards as the Deck of Many Things), but what do you think of the core mechanics? I was really pleased with the results of throwing this together.

The only Deck of Battle mechanics that need to be known to critique the class are: it takes a Swift action to draw from the Deck of Battle and a Standard action to activate a card.
    Look in my sig. Don't worry, mine's a monster you're still okay to use the name for a class. Just wanted you to know.

This counts as permission to use the creature any way you'd feel it goes with the class (I would be tickled if you did).
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

18. - Top - End - #798

Anyone have any comments on the Enigmatician?
    (member in good standing of the troll-feeder's guild)

I am the assassin of productivity.

Super boss Muscle Wizard avvie by Ceika.

gitp extended sig
    minmaxboards extended sig (more stuff)

19. - Top - End - #799
    Ogre in the Playground

AND THE WINNER OF CONTEST XXXIII: PET ME! IS....

Lord_Gareth and the Judex of the Pale Thorn!

I'm giving it ErrantX's pick as well, as I deeply enjoyed Gareth's previous Children of the Mausoleum, and showing more love towards one of my favorite entries from this contest is a sneaky way to get my good graces.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

20. - Top - End - #800
    Titan in the Playground

Congratulations, Gareth!

Just know that this means we shan't let you win the next one too, k?

On that note though, who has won the PrC Contest most often? I'm kinda curious about that.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

21. - Top - End - #801
    Ogre in the Playground

Maybe put the winner of each contest in the first post by the list of contests?

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #802

Congrats, Gareth!

gitp extended sig

23. - Top - End - #803

Quote Originally Posted by sirpercival View Post
    Anyone have any comments on the Enigmatician?
    I plan to go through most of the entries and do some commentating. It won't be the highly-detailed PEACHes I used to do, as grad school is a vicious, time-eating monster, but I hope to at least get some good critique in.

Current Contest Entries:

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #804

Quote Originally Posted by Hyooz View Post
    I plan to go through most of the entries and do some commentating. It won't be the highly-detailed PEACHes I used to do, as grad school is a vicious, time-eating monster, but I hope to at least get some good critique in.
    Lol. I do my grad school stuff in between homebrewing and pbp updating. ;)

gitp extended sig

25. - Top - End - #805

Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX View Post
    AND THE WINNER OF CONTEST XXXIII: PET ME! IS....

Lord_Gareth and the Judex of the Pale Thorn!

I'm giving it ErrantX's pick as well, as I deeply enjoyed Gareth's previous Children of the Mausoleum, and showing more love towards one of my favorite entries from this contest is a sneaky way to get my good graces.

-X
    I...I won? For the first time ever?

THE CHILDREN OF THE MAUSOLEUM HAVE BEEN AVEEEEEEEEEEEENGED!

Will try very hard to repeat!

Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

26. - Top - End - #806
    Ogre in the Playground

Class is up. Useless trivia: almost every level has a class feature with 'Justice' in the name, apart from 9th and 10th.

I should start PEACHing classes.

27. - Top - End - #807

Alright! All of the class features of the Wielder of the Dimensional Gallery are up!

PEACHES are appreciated, if anyone wants a peach let me know (I'll take a look at sirpercival's when I get a moment).

As a note: I know not all of the abilities from the Teachings of the Weapons are not balanced (Especially Ki Pool and Inspiration points). I plan on taking a small break from it, and then coming back, working on fluff and balancing these abilities. It's always easier for me when I walk away and look at it with fresh eyes.
    homebrew

Interesting Stuff: Spellshapers, Metroid as Incarnum

Bindin's Bag o' Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by BelGareth View Post
    Bindin, this is why I love you.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamshifter View Post
    ...I think my poor Monkadin just went to go get drunk. That's not a natural thing for him to do, at all. Thanks bindin.

28. - Top - End - #808

Man, this one might take me awhile. Got the class skills and Special Requirement up, anyway.

My extended homebrew sig

29. - Top - End - #809
    Ogre in the Playground

PEACH of Enigmatician.

Picture is unusual. I like it.

Entry is 5th level caster and you have to take a decent feat. Not too expensive. That's good too.

2+ skills and d4 hit die is very wizard. This is furthered by 1/2 bab and good will.

8/10 casting is expensive but feasible. Honestly, this is my problem with caster PrCs: either you lose a little casting so the abilities can't be too good or you are at about 6/10 casting and the abilities have to be amazing and.... tl;dr casters = too strong. Kind of a tangent.

Puzzle Box is the heart of the class. There is a core and puzzles around it. You tell us how to charge the core. I'm not sure of the right order of explanation for complicated abilities. Then we learn that puzzles are great and are kind of /per encounter powers. Also we see how to discharge the core.

Puzzles are interesting. Their power grows the longer the encounter goes on, because you unlock more of them, and each puzzle is actually three powers which helps versatility. Of the puzzle materials... the themes hold together until Cherry, which has a power closer to Oak, a power more like Birch, and a power like Ash. I'd either cut it or give it a unifying theme. Elder should give DR/alignment to keep its theme tighter. Elm is kind of a broad theme too, as is Holly, Oak, Copper, Platinum should do Dex damage instead. Other too-broad materials include Agate, Amber, Bloodstone, Carnelian (change out haste, the other two fit), Emerald (kick out turning), Jade shouldn't Detect Scrying (try Unluck instead).

The problem I see with Puzzles is that they take a standard action in combat, which is time you could instead spend casting a spell. Some of them are spells, which is hard to avoid because there are so many spell effects, but you are already a spellcaster. The ones that are not spells are... mostly not worth doing instead of casting a spell.

Enigmas! They're like stances in that they are always-on and you only get one at a time. Sublime Communication is free Divination, because you can do it out of combat at little risk. The rest are... ok, I guess.

Puzzling Mind is ok.

Riddling Soul is kind of nice.

I like the base idea, but I'm not sure I like the execution. You have clearly put a lot of work in to making a bunch of materials for the class, but some of them don't hold together thematically and lots of them are kind of weak. Consider adding a class level requirement to some materials so you can make them stronger. Getting stronger as fights go on is interesting, but typically combat is decided in ~3 rounds unless the fight is very large or has very unusual terrain. I would add level restrictions instead of requiring UL 3+ for abilities. Good luck in the contest!

30. - Top - End - #810

God, I'm having trouble with how to make this class viable to melees and spellcasters alike. I know I want a mechanic that allows a caster to pull out a weapon and start hacking and slashing, and one that gives a melee guy the ability to pull out a wand and cast a spell to get out of a quick fix, but I don't know how to balance this with caster level, BAB, spells per day, and everything. Help, please!
    Spoiler
    Show