New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 32 of 50 FirstFirst ... 7222324252627282930313233343536373839404142 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #931
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: GitP PrC Contest Chat Thread IV

Well, I'm actually running with my first, most obvious idea this time.
    The Guiser gains minor shapeshifting abilities, can reward (treat, if you will) those who aid him, and punishes (some might say tricks) those who oppose him.

2. - Top - End - #932
    Orc in the Playground

I think I'll sit this one out - I'm great at designing scary creatures but I always go too serious with my scary PrCs and they come out wonky.
    HOMEBREW
    The Phase Dancer - A spellsword who has learned to use teleportation to stab people.
    The Stalwart - An unarmed, unarmored wall of muscle that fights with surges of strength and massive combat maneuver combos.

3. - Top - End - #933
    Barbarian in the Playground

I actually think I'd like to take the Wastrel Witches concept, and hybridize it with an idea of my own I had to create a little something.

4. - Top - End - #934
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Felyndiira View Post
    I think I'm going to get started on this one early so I don't end up losing motivation as I start my standard procrastination cycle.

Dibs on Witch Hunter.

A question though - once we have a basic idea fleshed out, are we allowed to reserve additional posts for lists (maneuver lists, additional mechanic lists, etc.), or is that not allowed as well?
    At least post something in the first one, then you can reserve another one. I don't think I've ever seen anyone need more than two before.

Quote Originally Posted by MoleMage View Post
    Something ghostly if I do make one. Maybe Warlock themed.
    Ghost warlock = ftw in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by Zelkon View Post
    Going to do something warlocky. Or perhaps duskblade? Going to have something to do with enchanting pumpkins.
    Pumpkins are ftw as well, I think that anyone who uses pumpkins will definitely get a thumbs up from me at least when it comes to the voting (for ErrantX's choice!)

Quote Originally Posted by TheGeckoKing View Post
    The competition theme seems perfect for a Shadowcaster PrC. Now, if I could just think of a theme......
    Anything using shadowcasters is awesome, I love them. Go for it, I encourage it!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Alright folks, once again I need help settling on a concept - but with a slight twist: I'm throwing out an open challenge for someone to create one of the concepts I propose here (obviously not the one I'm doing) without changing its name. Garnering more votes than whatever I make is worth one free PEACH, regardless of how freaking busy I may or may not be.

Without further ado, the concepts on the table (that I need help choosing between, and that are open for a challenger to take up) are:

Curates of the Consecrated attend upon bones - the bones of saints, martyrs, heroes, and holy men. Knowing full well that both greedy adventurers and the forces of evil seek the corpses of those who died for the forces of justice and honor, the Curates seek out such buried heroes and become the living guardians of their remains, incorporating the sacred relics of these saints into their regalia and drawing power from the honored spirits of the saints they guard.
    This one. I like this one dude. Go nuts!

Quote Originally Posted by PairO'Dice Lost View Post
    Gotta love Halloween contests. I already have an idea for this one, though it still needs some fleshing out. Don't want to give too much away, but I will say that it's going to involve artificing and/or incarnum, and it would be either best friends or bitter rivals with Lord_Gareth's Wastrel Witches, if milord decides to do that one or someone else takes up the challenge.
    Incarnum love! I loves me some meldshaping, much beloved and under sourced.

Okay. There's my thoughts on the matter. I'm glad you all have ideas pumping, I was worried. Good deal!

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

5. - Top - End - #935
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NekoIncardine View Post
    I actually think I'd like to take the Wastrel Witches concept, and hybridize it with an idea of my own I had to create a little something.
    Just remember, if you want to compete for the free PEACH (no strings, no excuses) you need to A. Fulfill the concept (I tried to leave it open-ended) and B. Not change the name. If that's kosher, then HAVE AT IT.

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

6. - Top - End - #936

Alright, I think it's finally time for me to get in on one of these! Hmm...I'm thinking...some kind of "horror from the depths" that would cover Creature From the Black Lagoon and Scooby Doo-esque ghost divers both.

7. - Top - End - #937
    Ogre in the Playground

Since I actually have an idea for this, I'm in.

Need to decide exactly how I'm going to approach these Redtalon Jacks, though.

8. - Top - End - #938
    Bugbear in the Playground

Interesting... I'll see if I can make something from the dead's perspective.

Now to see if the classes from Ghostwalk could be of some use.

9. - Top - End - #939

Just remember, if you want to compete for the free PEACH (no strings, no excuses) you need to A. Fulfill the concept (I tried to leave it open-ended) and B. Not change the name. If that's kosher, then HAVE AT IT.
    ... I wound up going in a very different direction as I started writing it, so I'm going to have to never-mind. Never mind that I looked up the word "Wastrel" and while it sounds nice, it... Doesn't seem to relate to the concept much?

10. - Top - End - #940

I have an idea for a fear based fighter PrC. And yes, I mean that fighter. Likely with a reaper theme, those are always fun. I'm thinking of calling it either the Horror or the Nightmare.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by GFawkes View Post
    You didn't poke fate with a stick. You set fate on fire, then whacked it with a 2x4 several times.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackwind1kaze View Post
    good thing they did body attribute instead of Physical attribute, otherwise the stats would look like:

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

The Hub, for PTA & PTU community building. If you're interested, take a look.

11. - Top - End - #941

Quote Originally Posted by EdroGrimshell View Post
    I have an idea for a fear based fighter PrC. And yes, I mean that fighter. Likely with a reaper theme, those are always fun. I'm thinking of calling it either the Horror or the Nightmare.

Other than being fighter focused, that seems somewhat similar to my Mawkin (though without the reaper theme, I'll admit).
    (member in good standing of the troll-feeder's guild)

I am the assassin of productivity.

Super boss Muscle Wizard avvie by Ceika.

gitp extended sig
    minmaxboards extended sig (more stuff)

12. - Top - End - #942

Curse you, now you've got me wanting to do something with scythes!

Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

13. - Top - End - #943

Curse you, now you've got me wanting to do something with scythes!
    Heh, when i said reaper themed, i meant it, Weapon Focus (Scythe) is one of the prerequisites.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    You didn't poke fate with a stick. You set fate on fire, then whacked it with a 2x4 several times.
    good thing they did body attribute instead of Physical attribute, otherwise the stats would look like:

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #944

Heh, when i said reaper themed, i meant it, Weapon Focus (Scythe) is one of the prerequisites.
    Well, let's see what you have going and then we'll see if the idea in my brain is similar or not.

My extended homebrew sig

15. - Top - End - #945
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AvalonŽ View Post
    Interesting... I'll see if I can make something from the dead's perspective.

Now to see if the classes from Ghostwalk could be of some use.
    Ghostwalk love, +1 Internet.

I like this idea, I'm really interested in seeing it.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

16. - Top - End - #946
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm going to throw up a class based of the Day of the Dead. Speaking to the spirits, seeking their counsel, and defending/controlling them. All kinds of goodness, coolest bit is, you could still enter as a Sorcerer with tthe right ACFs.

17. - Top - End - #947

Alright folks, once again I need help settling on a concept - but with a slight twist: I'm throwing out an open challenge for someone to create one of the concepts I propose here (obviously not the one I'm doing) without changing its name. Garnering more votes than whatever I make is worth one free PEACH, regardless of how freaking busy I may or may not be.

The Sisterhood of the Scourged Flesh studies loss, in its many forms. These roaming knights study grief and sorrow, pain and absence and starvation. Conferring with cursed souls and undead beings, they seek to make friends with pain so that it can never be forced upon them, and in the meantime wrack their enemies with foul curses of starvation and physical need that eventually curdle into spells of maddening grief and terror.

Curates of the Consecrated attend upon bones - the bones of saints, martyrs, heroes, and holy men. Knowing full well that both greedy adventurers and the forces of evil seek the corpses of those who died for the forces of justice and honor, the Curates seek out such buried heroes and become the living guardians of their remains, incorporating the sacred relics of these saints into their regalia and drawing power from the honored spirits of the saints they guard.

The Wastrel Witches are a whimsical bunch. They make candy, they say, as though it's the be-all and end-all of what they do. Though it is true, to an extent - the Wastrels (and Waifs, and Vagabonds, and....) travel from place to place, distilling their spells into highly magical candies that unleash their effects on those who eat them - often with incredible enhancements. What is the actual goal of this order? Only the Witches themselves know, and they aren't talking.
    ...bloody hell. I know I didn't manage to get my act together for the last contest, but a challenge like this from my old friend Lord_Gareth, complete with pre-existing inspiration in the form of Gareth's teaser paragraphs?

Ooh. This WILL be fun. I hope in advance that no one minds if there are 2 or more classes with the same name, as this might just cause that to happen.

Ingredients

2oz Djinn
    5oz Water
    1 Lime Wedge

Instructions

Pour Djinn and tonic water into a glass filled with ice cubes. Stir well. Garnish with lime wedge. Serve.

18. - Top - End - #948

Quote Originally Posted by Djinn_in_Tonic View Post
    ...bloody hell. I know I didn't manage to get my act together for the last contest, but a challenge like this from my old friend Lord_Gareth, complete with pre-existing inspiration in the form of Gareth's teaser paragraphs?

Ooh. This WILL be fun. I hope in advance that no one minds if there are 2 or more classes with the same name, as this might just cause that to happen.
    Just lemme know which one you want, my friend. Also, I'm about to call you. With a phone. BEWARE!

My extended homebrew sig

19. - Top - End - #949
    Titan in the Playground

Ebon Initiate/Connoisseur hybrid PrC based on the boogeyman. Or something. My mind is throwing around ideas like random and I'm having trouble plucking one out coherently.
    Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

20. - Top - End - #950

So, yeah. After reading Lord Gareth's Wastrel Witches concept, and doing my own bits of research and thinking, I wound up coming with a very-tangentially-related concept.

Memeticists, AKA Memetic Witches, have the magical mental malady of Magic Related Memetic Disorder. Basically, these people who should perfectly well know better get the idea in their heads that witches gain power from various unusual habits, don't do the research, adopt pop-culture witch tendencies, and somehow actually turn it into real, if unusual, magical power. No one's quite sure how that works, particularly not real witches or the Memeticists themselves, but it's basically presumed that anyone powerful enough to be subject to the disorder - for it only affects those who have already attained quite a bit of arcane capability - basically subconsciously convinces the universe that this should work, so it does.

The strange part is that it then keeps on working when they, almost inevitably, figure out that it really shouldn't. Leading them to keep doing it while acknowledging that it makes no sense. The trick is to not think about it too hard, and just try the hat on already.

21. - Top - End - #951
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm curious; do any of the following PrCs sound like they would work for this theme?

The Surety-of-Harvest: You are a scarecrow who turns your field into a small fragment of the Hedge. Based around the fact that Halloween and Harvest coincide, and that scarecrows are just a tad bit creepy.

The Name-Me-Not: Bloody Mary, Bloody Mary, Bloody Mar-....-gurgle-.

The All-Hallowed Priest: Transformative Binder PrC that gives you the Saint template and which allows you to channel the sainted dead.

Because it is All-Hallows Eve, after all...

The Forlorn Gift-Taker:

"Trick-or-Treat
    When shall we meet?
    Give me something good to eat.

If you don't,
    I won't care,
    I'll just grab your pretty hair..."
    Last edited by Amechra; 2012-09-25 at 04:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

22. - Top - End - #952
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm going to make a bard based PrC that tells stories about monsters to make them less scary. It's the progression of Halloween to the modern day, after all. And it will be strange to make mechanically, which should be fun.

23. - Top - End - #953
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Djinn_in_Tonic View Post

I've thought some, and would like to do the ghastly warlocks after all. You can take my spot if you like. If not, I'll still do it, because I said I would and I wouldn't deny the playground the right to see all of those awesome ideas in completion.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

24. - Top - End - #954

Quote Originally Posted by Glimbur View Post
    I'm going to make a bard based PrC that tells stories about monsters to make them less scary. It's the progression of Halloween to the modern day, after all. And it will be strange to make mechanically, which should be fun.
    Conversely, I've already started drafting up a bard who focuses on making stories exceptionally scary.
    Extended Homebrew Signature

Spoiler
    Show
    Coplantor's Official Second-In-Command 2.0. It's alot like being Will Riker, but still with less alien women and also pirates.

Quote Originally Posted by Avatars
    "Epic Abjurer" avatar by the astounding Fayt!
    "The-Fantastic-Protectimaton-MK-VIII" avatar by the wondrous KingGolem!
    "You-Know-You-Want-It" Paladin MD avatar by the mighty thelizard!
    "Eat-Steel-Vile-Flu" Paladin MD avatar by the sexier-than-I Dr. Bath!

25. - Top - End - #955

And posted the start of the Horror
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

26. - Top - End - #956

Mawkin's mechanics are finished if anyone would like to comment. Fluff will be up tonight or over the next couple of days.

gitp extended sig

27. - Top - End - #957

Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX View Post
    Ghostwalk love, +1 Internet.
    -X
    So far it seems the only thing an Eidolon has going for it are the bonus ghost feats it gets. The feats are better than say fighter feats but we still have slightly the same problem in having no other class features.

Hmmm....Perhaps I should make the PrC into an Eidolon+ with a ghost feat every level...

28. - Top - End - #958

Ok, the Wakeless Titan is mechanically done if anyone wants to comment. I ended-up making it a martial adept PrC focused on wielding harpoons. Still have to finish most of the fluff though.

29. - Top - End - #959

Quote Originally Posted by Retrokinesis View Post
    Ok, the Wakeless Titan is mechanically done if anyone wants to comment. I ended-up making it a martial adept PrC focused on wielding harpoons. Still have to finish most of the fluff though.
    I'll PEACH as soon as I'm done with Mawkin's fluff.

gitp extended sig

30. - Top - End - #960

Ugh, how did I let myself get beaten to Ghostly Warlocks?

Eh, it's probably for the best, as it might have ended up too similar to my Ghost Wyrm. Looking forward to what Mole Mage comes up with.

As for me, I'll likely be working with the Dragonfire Adept or Druid... haven't had any moments of full inspiration yet. We'll see what happens.

Current Contest Entries:

Prestige Class Contest: In the Shadows -The Ghost Wyrm

Base Class Contest: Altar of Naught - The Nihilist

Monster Competition: Beings of Legend - The Omni Template

Spoiler
    Show