New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 36 of 50 FirstFirst ... 11262728293031323334353637383940414243444546 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,080 of 1482
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: GitP PrC Contest Chat Thread IV

Yes. Yes it was.

What, you thought Paladins were good? Don't make me laugh!

What's one of the gods that they are stereotypically aligned with?

That's right, Pelor.

I.e., the Burning Hate.

Plus, this is a lawful competition, and it's going to be all about redefining how they see good and evil so that they see Law as Good and Chaos as Evil.

So, as far as they are concerned, they are Lawful Good. Everyone who's Lawful must be Lawful Good, by definition.

Paladins have never been good at that "nuances" thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

2. - Top - End - #1052
    Bugbear in the Playground

My entry is going to be less serious this time. Just warning you all.

EDIT: Though, maybe not. Depends on if this current idea works or not.

EDIT2: Scrapping originally silly idea, found an awesome one.
    Last edited by sirpercival; 2012-11-05 at 11:35 AM.
    (member in good standing of the troll-feeder's guild)

I am the assassin of productivity.

Super boss Muscle Wizard avvie by Ceika.

gitp extended sig
    minmaxboards extended sig (more stuff)

3. - Top - End - #1053
    Firbolg in the Playground

'Kay, I was just checking, y'know? Why not make the Lawful Evil thing explicit, since there's no way to have 3d6 EBlast and not be evil?

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

4. - Top - End - #1054
    Ettin in the Playground

It'll be a class feature.
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

5. - Top - End - #1055

The Ironwill is (mostly) up! I just have to finalize how i'm going to tie skill checks to the themes for some of the abilities, I guess. Scaling? Adjustable? Fixed? Bah, I have no idea.
    EDIT: The Ironwill is complete(ish)! Yay!
    Last edited by TheGeckoKing; 2012-11-05 at 08:21 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avvie by araveugnitsuga
    3DS Friend Code - 4098-2424-2486

6. - Top - End - #1056
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm going to do a thing with Mark of Justice. I'm not entirely sure what yet, but it will be a thing.

7. - Top - End - #1057
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hello there.

So, I've decided to give it a shot. If anyone wants to critique the Enforcer of the Continuum, fluff, powers, mechanics, requirements, feel free. Have no pity.
    I'll gladly return the favor (but I don't have much experience so my remarks will mostly be fluff-related).
    Thanks in advance!

8. - Top - End - #1058
    Pixie in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by sirpercival View Post
    Hey Z, unless you're talking about one of several people, you probably mean "Shepherd".
    thanks for pointing that out, spell check corrected me with Shepard the first time i mis-spelled it so ive just been using that.

Also Amechra your idea gave me the chuckles ( the evil ones )

Edit: thank god for being able to dump my post into word an using replace
    Last edited by Zallera; 2012-11-06 at 03:28 AM.

9. - Top - End - #1059

I actually went and submitted a class this time. I had wanted to post it for The Last Harvest, but there wasn't enough time left in the contest to get it done. Happy coincidence, then, that it still fits this theme...

Also, as I haven't really homebrewed anything in a long while, I'd like to trade PEACHes with someone. I'm not too sure about the balance level and wording on some of the abilities, and another pair of eyes would be good...
    Last edited by Fable Wright; 2012-11-06 at 06:57 AM.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

10. - Top - End - #1060

NecromancerGuy

. . . And my computer glitched and erased what I had for this contest so far.

Starting over.
    Iron Chef in the Playground veteran since Round IV. Play as me!

Spoiler
    Show

11. - Top - End - #1061
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    I actually went and submitted a class this time. I had wanted to post it for The Last Harvest, but there wasn't enough time left in the contest to get it done. Happy coincidence, then, that it still fits this theme...

Also, as I haven't really homebrewed anything in a long while, I'd like to trade PEACHes with someone. I'm not too sure about the balance level and wording on some of the abilities, and another pair of eyes would be good...
    Edit : Spoilered.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not too knowledgeable about ToB, so I'll pass on the martial initiator entry and only consider a warlock entry (which, I feel, suits the class best.)

So, fluff-wise, it is very flavourful. The sell-your-soul-to-some-evil-powerful-guy concept is a classic, and it seems very well-thought here. Most of the abilities make sense in this context. I particularly like how you emphasize on the total absence of freedom the character has.

Requirements : That's a 9th level entry for a straight Warlock.

d8 HD, strong BAB, Will and Fortitude saves. That's solid, a strict upgrade from the Warlock.

Master's Tutelage : The dead levels regarding this ability seem haphazardly placed (1 and 7 for the spellcasting path, 2, 6 and 9 for initiators). I don't know much about what a granted or readied maneuver represents in terms of power though, so I can't really judge.

Dark Pact : Code of conduct, that was to be expected. Plus the contracts. I found them quite problematic for several reasons, detailed below.

Contract : It's a Geas spell. Which means the character must spend every day on his contract, or he will suffer damage, sickening, and the loss of his special abilities. The thing being that he always has a contract. So, no time off for the Hand of the Dark Master. I cannot see how a player would benefit from a class that restricts his choices so drastically (except if the player's contracts are central to the plot). In addition, the "once the contract is completed, another takes its place" clause seems to make the "you must complete at least one contract a year" clause pointless.
    For an NPC, though, it seems perfect.
    For a PC, I would suggest granting them a new contract every once in a while, instead of constantly.

Dark Boon : Any least invocation, scales with level all the way to dark invocations. Again, great flavour, adds a little versatility to the Warlock. 1/day though, so it's not much.

Unholy Smite : Drain your own health to deal more damage to your enemies? Yummy. A good fix to the Hellfire Blast, and one that is usable on more than just Eldritch Blasts.

Master's Grace : 2nd level according to the text but 3rd level according to the table.
    Darkvision, always useful.

Pact of Renewal : The Master takes good care of his toys. One remark : if their abilities are taken away because of the violation of their pact, it is stated that they "are unable to regain any hit points at all". Once again, this seems unpractical for a PC.

Blood Magic : I love this so much. You should be more specific about the definition of "someone". Intelligent beings only, living beings only, humanoids only? Because if anything goes, I know I would always have a bag of squirrels handy, just in case I need to prepare Death Ward or Invisibility.

Master's Wards : Miss chance is good. I don't really understand how the recurring "shadows" theme is relevant, though ; it feels more like an undead theme to me. The associated penalty seems a little harsh.

Pact of Eternity : This is weird, and once again, makes me feel like this class is only for NPCs (and even a recurring villain should be killable, lest your PCs feel powerless). The only way to get rid of the character is to kill him again and again and again until he loses this level when he comes back, and then kill him one more time. Am I mistaken?

Master's Call : Planar Binding has a casting time of 10 minutes. Shouldn't it be shorter if the duration is limited to 1 round / level?

Master's Shadow : Maybe I can't read, but to me, it feels like you can slowly kill everything not cold resistant in your half of the world, as long as it's nighttime. No save. No SR. And you don't even have to spend a swift action to do so
    Same thing about the other effect : pick a creature miles away, and Eldritch Glaive it repeatedly until it's cold dead, as long as it's at night.
    This at least needs a range limit for both effects, and you should specify the caster level for Kelgore's Grave Mist.

Pact of Pacts : So, now, when pursuing a contract, your evil buddies are even more compelled to help you! They've probably been assisting you with your contracts for 8 levels, though, so it comes a little bit late.

Transcendance : The at-will spells as Su seem too powerful. Then again, you're already at 17th level, 18th with a straight Warlock entry : they probably won't affect the balance drastically.
    I don't know how I feel about the "becoming an Outsider" part. I feel as though it's been overdone, and I feel it doesn't mesh too well here. There is no need to specify that you can still be resurrected, it's already specified by the Native subtype.
    I've already said what I thought of the contract system, and this doesn't fix it all.

Seeing as it gets so many great class abilities, increased hit dice and BAB, I think 8/10 casting is a little bit too much. I would suggest making it a 5/10 progression.
    Last edited by Keynub; 2012-11-07 at 12:31 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1062

Responses spoiled for length.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Keynub View Post
    Master's Tutelage : The dead levels regarding this ability seem haphazardly placed (1 and 7 for the spellcasting path, 2, 6 and 9 for initiators). I don't know much about what a granted or readied maneuver represents in terms of power though, so I can't really judge.
    Fair enough. I may just restrict entry to warlocks, as that fits the mechanics best, but I somehow wanted to add in some way to make the class something that anyone could get the advantage of, fitting the "Sell your soul for power" thing is for anyone. Just restricting it to the Eldritch Glaive invocation and dropping the required Eldritch Blast damage might work better, though.

Dark Pact : Code of conduct, that was to be expected. Plus the contracts. I found them quite problematic for several reasons, detailed below.

Contract : It's a Geas spell. Which means the character must spend every day on his contract, or he will suffer damage, sickening, and the loss of his special abilities. The thing being that he always has a contract. So, no time off for the Hand of the Dark Master. I cannot see how a player would benefit from a class that restricts his choices so drastically (except if the player's contracts are central to the plot). In addition, the "once the contract is completed, another takes its place" clause seems to make the "you must complete at least one contract a year" clause pointless.
    For an NPC, though, it seems perfect.
    For a PC, I would suggest granting them a new contract every once in a while, instead of constantly.
    My thoughts behind this were that if there was a Hand in the campaign, their goals would, by necessity, be plot related. Perhaps allowing leeway in pursuing the task for a number of days up to class level before suffering penalties may be a good inclusion.

Also, the must complete one contract per year was intended to make sure that they don't just try to ignore their Geas, and to provide PCs a way to kill off a Hand: If they're stuck working on the contract for a year, and fail to fulfill it, they lose their class abilities. Hence, if PCs prevent them from filling their Contract for a year, the Hand is killable.

Dark Boon : Any least invocation, scales with level all the way to dark invocations. Again, great flavour, adds a little versatility to the Warlock. 1/day though, so it's not much.
    Look again at some of those invocations. Especially the ones that have 24-hour durations. Using those once per day, or having another tool to use 1/day, seemed like a fair way to use the ability without overpowering it.

Pact of Renewal : The Master takes good care of his toys. One remark : if their abilities are taken away because of the violation of their pact, it is stated that they "are unable to regain any hit points at all". Once again, this seems unpractical for a PC.
    Ah, I misworded that, then. It's no healing due to rest; using magic items to cure ability damage and healing hit points is expected for adventurers, and could cover for this. Doing so may involve chain-use of magic items, but that's par for the course of an adventurer.

Blood Magic : I love this so much. You should be more specific about the definition of "someone". Intelligent beings only, living beings only, humanoids only? Because if anything goes, I know I would always have a bag of squirrels handy, just in case I need to prepare Death Ward or Invisibility.
    I will clarify then. Any living being with blood that has Hit Dice equal to at least twice the level of spell you're trying to prepare. I did include the Hit Dice equal to twice the level of the spell prepared in there, but it may be obscured by the text...
    Master's Wards : Miss chance is good. I don't really understand how the recurring "shadows" theme is relevant, though ; it feels more like an undead theme to me. The associated penalty seems a little harsh.
    Fair enough, I could see downplaying that theme. And the associated penalty was intended to be more fluff-based; Sickened in the light, as mentioned in the text, can be negated by wearing concealing robes. It was more meant as a way to actually make them hate the light of day rather than impose constant penalties.

Pact of Eternity : This is weird, and once again, makes me feel like this class is only for NPCs (and even a recurring villain should be killable, lest your PCs feel powerless). The only way to get rid of the character is to kill him again and again and again until he loses this level when he comes back, and then kill him one more time. Am I mistaken?
    As mentioned before, if they lose their powers due to failing a Contract, they don't come back anymore. But otherwise, they're really, really hard to put down. And would it feel out of place on a PC? Classes like Telflammer Shadowlord have ways to come back from a deathblow, and I felt that it was a flavorful ability to add on.

Master's Call : Planar Binding has a casting time of 10 minutes. Shouldn't it be shorter if the duration is limited to 1 round / level?
    Circumvented by the fact that it's a Su ability, which have Standard action casting times unless otherwise mentioned. This will be brought up in the text...
    Master's Shadow : Maybe I can't read, but to me, it feels like you can slowly kill everything not cold resistant in your half of the world, as long as it's nighttime. No save. No SR. And you don't even have to spend a swift action to do so
    Same thing about the other effect : pick a creature miles away, and Eldritch Glaive it repeatedly until it's cold dead, as long as it's at night.
    This at least needs a range limit for both effects, and you should specify the caster level for Kelgore's Grave Mist.
    Range limitations to be capped to Close range.

Transcendance : The at-will spells as Su seem too powerful. Then again, you're already at 17th level, 18th with a straight Warlock entry : they probably won't affect the balance drastically.
    I don't know how I feel about the "becoming an Outsider" part. I feel as though it's been overdone, and I feel it doesn't mesh too well here. There is no need to specify that you can still be resurrected, it's already specified by the Native subtype.
    I've already said what I thought of the contract system, and this doesn't fix it all.
    I'm of the opinion that classes that cap at 18th level have to be awesome, while not necessarily being overpowered. The clause about the type was to enable the Outsider to be resurrected while on other planes, where they lose the Native subtype. Still, the Outsider bit does seem tacked on. Fixed.
    Seeing as it gets so many great class abilities, increased hit dice and BAB, I think 8/10 casting is a little bit too much. I would suggest making it a 5/10 progression.
    Geeze, 5/10?!? Swiftblade has 6/10, and it's the only PrC that gives you abilities that outweigh the lost Caster Levels. Warlocks also have the problem that they're below the power curve on the whole, and a lot of the class abilities don't directly impact combat. Unholy Smite is pretty worth it, but Hellfire Warlock is a full advancement PrC that doesn't stack with this class, and a handfull of 1/day abilities don't seem to be worth more than 2 or at most 3 caster levels, especially with Warlocks behind as they are...
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

13. - Top - End - #1063
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've taken a look at your changes, most of which I like.

Spoiler
    Show

Also, the must complete one contract per year was intended to make sure that they don't just try to ignore their Geas, and to provide PCs a way to kill off a Hand: If they're stuck working on the contract for a year, and fail to fulfill it, they lose their class abilities. Hence, if PCs prevent them from filling their Contract for a year, the Hand is killable.
    It would still be a tremendous feat to keep someone that doesn't even fear death from accomplishing their mission for a whole year.
    The ability to ignore the Geas perfectly addresses the problem I had with the contract mechanic, without hurting the flavour.

Look again at some of those invocations. Especially the ones that have 24-hour durations. Using those once per day, or having another tool to use 1/day, seemed like a fair way to use the ability without overpowering it.
    Did I write "not much"? I actually meant to write "not too much", as in "not overpowered". I completely agree with you. My apologies.

I did include the Hit Dice equal to twice the level of the spell prepared in there, but it may be obscured by the text...
    You're right, I missed that part. Again, apologies.

And would it feel out of place on a PC? Classes like Telflammer Shadowlord have ways to come back from a deathblow, and I felt that it was a flavorful ability to add on.
    I find the Shadowlord problematic for that very reason, actually, and if my players ever wanted to play one, I think I would deny them this ability. But that's only my opinion, of course.
    I agree with you that it is, flavour-wise, a nice touch.
    From my point of view, there should at least be a way to prevent the resurrection, like there is for the Sand Shaper's Desert Shroud ability ; for instance, the Pact could be useless for a Hand killed on Consecrated ground.

I'm of the opinion that classes that cap at 18th level have to be awesome, while not necessarily being overpowered.
    I second this opinion. I just thought that it would be a little too much. Now that this level does not advance invocations, though, I'm perfectly fine with it.

Geeze, 5/10?!?
    I just felt that the abilities were overpowered when compared to a straight Warlock, especially given their improved Hit Dice, BAB and saves. If an increase in power level compared to the Warlock is what you were aiming for, then 7/10 seems good.

14. - Top - End - #1064

Spoiler
    Show
    I find the Shadowlord problematic for that very reason, actually, and if my players ever wanted to play one, I think I would deny them this ability. But that's only my opinion, of course.
    I agree with you that it is, flavour-wise, a nice touch.
    From my point of view, there should at least be a way to prevent the resurrection, like there is for the Sand Shaper's Desert Shroud ability ; for instance, the Pact could be useless for a Hand killed on Consecrated ground.
    I rather like this idea, and changed the ability so that a similar method would work. The problem is that Consecration is a second-level, no save spell that would make killing the Hand far too easy. Now, if you Consecrate the Hand and steal it's soul (Thinaun, Trap the Soul, whatever), you can kill them; it would take concerted effort to do so, which is rather the point of the ability.

And now, for my PEACH:

My first impressions: It's way too narrow. The class abilities focus on teleportation effects and time manipulation effects. These don't necessarily come up a lot, and the abilities granted by the class don't really help as much in scenarios where you don't fight spellcasters.

Requirements: Entry is simple enough, 5 BAB, 4 ranks in Knowledge skills, contracts... and then 8 ranks in Spellcraft. I find this odd, especially since everything else points to noncaster entry. The class doesn't really support casters taking the class, and it makes entry difficult. Perhaps 4 ranks in Spellcraft and Skill Focus: Spellcraft instead of Iron Will? That way, melee characters who don't have spell progressions to give up would be able to access the class, and they would get the most out of it.

Spellcasting: I find this odd, as well. You give one level of advancement at level 1, to encourage mages to clean up after themselves. Why not just introduce a feat that does this requiring 8 ranks in Spellcraft, and give it to the Enforcers for free? The BAB +5 is going to prevent most mages from taking the class anyways, and this way the Quaruts can say they actually tried.

Sense & Repair Disruption: These feel like they should be bundled into one ability, but are otherwise fine, required for the functioning of the class.

Smite Transgressor: First off, this is narrow. Extremely so. They have to be under the effects of a small list of buffs, it's limited by times per day, and is unlikely to come up that much, except in the occasional encounter with a caster and a number of minions. And then uses/day limitation. It just doesn't seem that good of an ability. Maybe just make it a passive buff, and make it so that it can dispel contingent Disruption effects?

Also, you really have to define what attacks mean. Is a Fireball an attack? If so, what happens when you hit multiple people with the attack? What if the same spell is dispelled many times? Clarity is needed...

Time Consciousness: Solid buff. Initiative boosters aren't exactly a dime a dozen.

See through the Crack: Cool power. Not entirely sure how useful it is, though, given that you can't do much through it.

Mark Transgressor: Okay, this could potentially be useful, and you could use it to slice through bluffs. Again, though, this only works on Wizards, and not only that, it has to be Wizards you scoped out before. And while it can let you find them, you don't have any way to get over there without causing a disturbance. I would just allow them to mark any being they see using Disruptive Magic as their target, or as a full-round action mark a target through a Rupture. The effect probably should be amped up, as it's currently useless against non-magic users. Maybe also dispel items, and/or proactively prevent the use of teleportation abilities.

Dimension Lock: You probably shouldn't add in the Concentration check to avoid the result. Making it a Will save would be better. And/or adding damage to force a Concentration check; even something like 1d4/level, while small amounts of damage, might make the blow it.

Cross the Crack: I really feel like this should be an at-will ability, just to give it the implacable pursuer feel. As it is, just a few teleportations into random locations, and he's stuck in the middle of a desert without a paddle. Mentioning that they can bring companions along may be a good idea.

Haste: Finally, at level 6, we get an ability that doesn't require a Transgressor to use! Once per day. Too little, too late.

Temporal Lock: Cool, but I feel it could be used earlier, and again, it doesn't need the concentration check. Just having them be aware of the effect, and unable to use the spell at all, would probably be the best way to handle this. If they want to escape the effect, all they have to do is run away...

Spy on Transgressor: Seems fine, but uses/day restricts it, and, again, it seem to come in rather late in the progression.

Dimension Door: Okay, a nifty once a day ability that takes out the ability to use the rest of your turn away when you use it, as per the wording of D.Door. At character level 14.

Undo Time: Just give the ability to use Time Regression 1/day as a PLA, and you're done. As PLAs don't have an XP cost...

As I said, adding in more abilities that are usable when not fighting spellcasters you've scoped out may be a good thing. Something like the ability to tap into other's disruptions, or getting a mechanical benefit whenever you close a disruption might work. For example, getting a bonus to attack and damage rolls, or getting a boost of speed or actions when you close them from the surge of dissipated temporal energy, would make this a much more appealing class. Abilities to cause, and get benefits from closing Disruptions would make welcome additions to the class that would lead to more dynamic gameplay.

Also, in Appendix 2, you should probably clarify exactly what the penalties are for different infractions. You just leave it kind of vague, which probably isn't a good thing in a contest about Law and Order.

Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #1065

The mechanics of the Clockwork Cenobite are done, & I've started working on the fluff. Anyone have any comments on the class so far?

gitp extended sig

16. - Top - End - #1066
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    Requirements: Entry is simple enough, 5 BAB, 4 ranks in Knowledge skills, contracts... and then 8 ranks in Spellcraft. I find this odd, especially since everything else points to noncaster entry. The class doesn't really support casters taking the class, and it makes entry difficult. Perhaps 4 ranks in Spellcraft and Skill Focus: Spellcraft instead of Iron Will? That way, melee characters who don't have spell progressions to give up would be able to access the class, and they would get the most out of it.

Spellcasting: I find this odd, as well. You give one level of advancement at level 1, to encourage mages to clean up after themselves. Why not just introduce a feat that does this requiring 8 ranks in Spellcraft, and give it to the Enforcers for free? The BAB +5 is going to prevent most mages from taking the class anyways, and this way the Quaruts can say they actually tried.
    The feat is a nice idea; and seeing as it's very underwhelming, I don't think high requirements are necessary. Plus, this way, it can serve as a feat tax (instead of Iron Will, which was here only because I had no better idea).

Smite Transgressor: First off, this is narrow. Extremely so. They have to be under the effects of a small list of buffs, it's limited by times per day, and is unlikely to come up that much, except in the occasional encounter with a caster and a number of minions. And then uses/day limitation. It just doesn't seem that good of an ability. Maybe just make it a passive buff, and make it so that it can dispel contingent Disruption effects?

Also, you really have to define what attacks mean. Is a Fireball an attack? If so, what happens when you hit multiple people with the attack? What if the same spell is dispelled many times? Clarity is needed...
    True, its sole use seems to be in conjunction with Mark Transgressor. I'll probably just suppress it and put it under Mark, unless I come up with something.
    And indeed, it was poorly worded. Now restricted to weapon attacks.

See through the Crack: Cool power. Not entirely sure how useful it is, though, given that you can't do much through it.
    The main use of this would be before using Cross the Crack. I wouldn't want to follow an escaping red dragon into a volcano.

Mark Transgressor: Okay, this could potentially be useful, and you could use it to slice through bluffs. Again, though, this only works on Wizards, and not only that, it has to be Wizards you scoped out before. And while it can let you find them, you don't have any way to get over there without causing a disturbance. I would just allow them to mark any being they see using Disruptive Magic as their target, or as a full-round action mark a target through a Rupture. The effect probably should be amped up, as it's currently useless against non-magic users. Maybe also dispel items, and/or proactively prevent the use of teleportation abilities.
    Mark Transgressor is mainly there to improve the other abilities, and to allow for scrying later. A more practical means of marking a transgressor in combat is a welcome addition.

Dimension Lock: You probably shouldn't add in the Concentration check to avoid the result. Making it a Will save would be better. And/or adding damage to force a Concentration check; even something like 1d4/level, while small amounts of damage, might make the blow it.
    Yeah, I don't know what I was thinking, resisting the effects with a skill check. Will save it is, for both this and the Temporal Lock. Plus, deny resisting for the baddies.

Cross the Crack: I really feel like this should be an at-will ability, just to give it the implacable pursuer feel. As it is, just a few teleportations into random locations, and he's stuck in the middle of a desert without a paddle. Mentioning that they can bring companions along may be a good idea.
    Actually, See Through The Crack prevents from blindly teleporting. Anyway, it is restricted enough that unlimited uses per day are adequate.

Spy on Transgressor: Seems fine, but uses/day restricts it, and, again, it seem to come in rather late in the progression.
    Now with a more lawful-sounding name! And once again, you're right. So, unlimited uses per day, and a little earlier. It is very limited, after all.

Undo Time: Just give the ability to use Time Regression 1/day as a PLA, and you're done. As PLAs don't have an XP cost...
    Indeed. Either I didn't know about it or I had forgotten all about it. Thank you.

As I said, adding in more abilities that are usable when not fighting spellcasters you've scoped out may be a good thing. Something like the ability to tap into other's disruptions, or getting a mechanical benefit whenever you close a disruption might work. For example, getting a bonus to attack and damage rolls, or getting a boost of speed or actions when you close them from the surge of dissipated temporal energy, would make this a much more appealing class. Abilities to cause, and get benefits from closing Disruptions would make welcome additions to the class that would lead to more dynamic gameplay.
    I had initially wanted to do that, but I feared it would encourage creating disruptions just for the purpose of closing them and gaining a little something in the process. Maybe I'll put a little something against this behavior in the contract.

Also, in Appendix 2, you should probably clarify exactly what the penalties are for different infractions. You just leave it kind of vague, which probably isn't a good thing in a contest about Law and Order.
    It is my intention to expand both appendices eventually. I only wrote a stub to remind myself to write more later.

Well, it seems I have used most of your suggestions. It's still incomplete, though; that dead 8th level bugs me, but I'll do something about it tomorrow. It's getting late here.

Thank you very much. You obviously have much more experience in this than I do.

17. - Top - End - #1067
    Ogre in the Playground

Things seem to be starting up pretty well, and usually there are bunch of questions or clarifications right out of the gate but not this time. Anyone have anything they're curious about relating to the contest or want advice on something?

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

18. - Top - End - #1068

Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX View Post
    Things seem to be starting up pretty well, and usually there are bunch of questions or clarifications right out of the gate but not this time. Anyone have anything they're curious about relating to the contest or want advice on something?

-X
    Yes. Is Clockwork Cenobite interesting enough?

gitp extended sig

19. - Top - End - #1069
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by sirpercival View Post
    Yes. Is Clockwork Cenobite interesting enough?
    Conceptually yes. I like the crunch, it fits the theme very well. I'd like to see more fluff as to why and how these people become what they are. Reasons for why a normal person can grow a suit of mechanical armor over his body as a new skin. What does that do to a person? How do people perceive them? What's their end goal? What sort of organization exists for them? Things like that.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

20. - Top - End - #1070
    Troll in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

I'm thinking of tactically a Lawful bard by the name of Wordsmith Paragon, if only because it means I can use "Interrobang" as a class feature.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    "See these cookies? Note how while good they taste sort of bland. Now try these, they're the same cookies but with chocolate chips added. Notice how with the second batch we expended slightly more ingredients but dramatically enhanced the flavor? That's metamagic."
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Seriously, can we kill this misconception now? A wizard is never late, nor is he early. He shops for precisely what he means to.

Winner of Junkyard Wars 31.

21. - Top - End - #1071

Currently working on a Psion PrC for mildly-obsessive types who really like to keep things organized, even the wolves harassing them and their friends.

Current Contest Entries:

Prestige Class Contest: In the Shadows -The Ghost Wyrm

Base Class Contest: Altar of Naught - The Nihilist

Monster Competition: Beings of Legend - The Omni Template

Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #1072

This is somewhat off-topic, but Hyooz, when was the last time you updated your signature?
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

23. - Top - End - #1073

This is somewhat off-topic, but Hyooz, when was the last time you updated your signature?
    Long, long time ago. I really should fix it... but then I always get lazy.

Current Contest Entries:

Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #1074

Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX View Post
    Conceptually yes. I like the crunch, it fits the theme very well. I'd like to see more fluff as to why and how these people become what they are. Reasons for why a normal person can grow a suit of mechanical armor over his body as a new skin. What does that do to a person? How do people perceive them? What's their end goal? What sort of organization exists for them? Things like that.

-X
    Hmm, you've given me a number of fluff ideas... Sweet! I should get my laptop back from the repair shop today, so I can maybe work on it, lol.

gitp extended sig

25. - Top - End - #1075

Work has officially begun on the Knights of the Shackled Soul.

"You are under arrest for crimes against universal order! THROW DOWN YOUR WEAPONS!"

Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

26. - Top - End - #1076

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    Work has officially begun on the Knights of the Shackled Soul.

"You are under arrest for crimes against universal order! THROW DOWN YOUR WEAPONS!"
    Stop right there, criminal scum!

Current Contest Entries:

Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #1077
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright, the first few levels of the Paladin are up, as well as the definition of righteous and righteous behavior.

I need suggestions for 9th level class features; I was thinking of maybe something where, as long as you observe righteous behavior, you don't need to eat, drink, sleep, or breath. However, every time that you perform an unrighteous act, you are treated as if you had not eaten, drank, slept that day (which is cumulative until you undergo atonement of some sort), and you are treated as if you had been holding your breath for a round?

So, let's say that Mr. Paladin keeps wracking up offenses...

One of these days, he's just going to suffocate when littering.

28. - Top - End - #1078

Alright everyone, it's that time of the month again: guess what Gareth's class does based only on the ability names!

My extended homebrew sig

29. - Top - End - #1079
    Troll in the Playground

I have posted my Despoiler of Entropy. I hope it meets with general approval.
    My Deviantart, Please enjoy it.
    Invincible Maiden Avatar by GryffonDurime.

Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew by Krimm Blackleaf

30. - Top - End - #1080
    Dwarf in the Playground

Sirpercival, I looked at the Clockwork Cenobite, and I found the Great Gear of Nirvana ability so hilarious that I felt compelled to draw it (poorly).

More seriously, now. I fear the class does not reward taking more than a 2-level Monk dip : it is enough to reach the prerequisites by level 5, you can take 1 level in Clockwork Cenobite, and it gives you heavy-armored evasion (and what heavy armor!), and a base speed higher than that of a normal heavy-armored front line fighter, in addition to the saves boost (two times) and the obvious advantage of not having to buy it.

Taking all five levels of Monk prior to taking this PrC doesn't seem to be worth it, as it is; and the fluff seems to indicate that the PrC is inclined towards Monks (and Warforged monks even more so, given the nice immunities they end up with).

Also, I can't understand how Order Flight isn't supernatural. Does the monk grow mechanical wings, Da Vinci-style, or rotors or the like?

I will totally use this for my next campaign, though.

- The man in heavy armour has strange clockwork devices that seem to sprout from his skin. He hits you, and suddenly, a giant cogwheel appears and tries to knock you down. Reflex save.