New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: GitP PrC Contest Chat Thread IV

Re: The PrC Flavor/Mechanics Discussion

I'm kind of in the middle of the whole thing. I think PrCs are a really useful tool for fitting either function, really. They're the best venue, IMO, for highly specialized flavor, as well as really unique mechanics that may not have the ubiquity to base a 20 level class on.

My general PrC design philosophy is to make classes that have their own unique flavor, but don't necessarily "rely" on it. I want to make it mechanically interesting and "set-apart" enough that the mechanics could show up on a variety of character types. I think the Ikaruga is actually a pretty decent example of this. A mechanical idea I really wanted to flesh out, attached to some light flavor that isn't entirely necessary for the class's function.

That's not to say I'm against flavor-heavy PrCs. The list Djinn quoted are some of my favorites from this contest's history (my own notwithstanding) and the voters really respond well to the excellent flavor they have. So... yeah. Call me Even Steven.

Current Contest Entries:

Prestige Class Contest: In the Shadows -The Ghost Wyrm

Base Class Contest: Altar of Naught - The Nihilist

Monster Competition: Beings of Legend - The Omni Template

Spoiler
    Show

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll weigh in on the other side of the discussion then.

First, let me say that classes which marry fluff and crunch to make a distinctive and memorable whole are flipping awesome. When done well, it helps a character be memorable and fun as well.

That said, I think of classes as packages of abilities, which can get them mixed up with feats. Let's take the example of cheesy martial arts films for an example to clarify. If your master teaches you the Five Point Palm Exploding Heart Technique, that's a feat. It's one discrete thing which not everyone with similar training to you has to be able to do. If your master teaches you the Mantis style instead of the Crane style, that's a different PrC because it makes you more focused on single, powerful strikes and ending combat quickly instead of avoiding and negating your opponent's attacks and winning through attrition. Mechanically, this means you gain sneak attack or some other bonus damage instead of evasion and dodge bonuses to AC and such. Different, thematically similar PrCs. (aside: I have no idea if that is a fair analysis of any Mantis style or any Crane style. It's a decent example though.)

There is one downfall to classes having flavor and mechanics linked, which is exemplified by the Spirit Lion Totem barbarian alternate class feature. Pounce is really, really helpful for mobility of melee characters, and far and away the easiest way to get it is via a one level dip in barb. This means, provided one wants to build a melee character who relies on full attacks, the most effective character will have some barbarian in his background. Refluffing exists: you could have hidden ferocity despite your city upbringing, it could be a secret technique taught to you by aesthetics who occasionally flip out and kill people, etc. But mechanically, that dip in barb is very good and not everyone likes refluffing like I do.

As I just shot myself in the foot by explaining, base classes are pretty flexible. Prestige Classes... I had an example earlier about different martial arts styles, which is kind of relevant here. But my deeper concern is choosing PrCs which have flavor for their mechanical merits due to a lack of other options to get such merits. Master of Many Forms is not guilty of this: it is a class about changing shape, and it makes you better at changing shape. For a list of the offenders, consider the X stat to Y thread. Want to be so tough that weapons don't hurt you? Deepwarden does it, but you have to be a dwarf with a specific kind of goal in life. Want to be so smart that you are hard to hit? Be a Blade Singer (elf), Eternal Blade (elf), Duelist (limits your combat style), factotoum (base class), or a couple of other also niche options. That's an ability that should just be a feat.

I also don't like strict entry requirements precisely because they require you to intend your character to enter the class. That's just a matter of taste though.

I appear to have weighed in on every discussion, rather than just one side of one of them. Such is life.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Titan in the Playground

Added the final bits I needed and made slight tweaks to make the class more playable.

Quote Originally Posted by Djinn_in_Tonic View Post
    *goes to look at your class*

Wow. That's rather awesome. And yeah...a Raysailor of Sol Invictus seems like a rather interesting candidate to become a Twilight's Guide towards the end of his or her life. That would be an intriguing character...
    Definitely. "Oh, yeah, I've sailed these stars for ages, but now as death approaches, I figured I'd aid the poor souls that soon will welcome me in their midst."
    YouTube channel:

The Asobimashow thread |Homebrewer's Signature | Avatar by Strawberries

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Djinn_in_Tonic View Post
    I'd personally be very interested in such a thing. I know that, for this contest, I prefer to work alone, but a chance to produce things in tandem for a contest would be quite interesting to me.
    I threatened to do it if people were interested, you expressed interest, and I saw a lull in contest activity. Thus I present the Pairs Contest for those here interested.

More on topic, anyone care to give some feedback for the Light of Lurking Shadows? Also, only about 2 weeks left for those who want to make changes, or have yet to submit their entries.

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

Bump for great justice? It seems the Contest has fallen too many pages back, causing it to go unnoticed and unclosed as of yet.

On a sidenote, I won't be able to post or vote in the coming three nights and days due to total absence (a matter which has occurred several times in the past weeks, but those times were usually only a day, two tops).
    Last edited by Morph Bark; 2011-09-30 at 09:01 AM.
    YouTube channel:

6. - Top - End - #216
    Dwarf in the Playground

That was a contest I had fun working on and think it deserve a little more attention even if no new entry are coming. Maybe there's too many contest ongoing at the same time.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Did this die or something?

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Phosphate View Post
    Did this die or something?
    Most likely Errant got busy IRL, which happens sometimes. It has been long enough that someone could just put up a voting thread... I assume someone has PM'd him already.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Glimbur View Post
    Most likely Errant got busy IRL, which happens sometimes. It has been long enough that someone could just put up a voting thread... I assume someone has PM'd him already.
    I've PM'd him last week and have not received a reply.

I've put up voting threads before, but that was only with confirmation from the contest-holder that is was okay, so I'm reluctant to do so now. I won't object if anyone else puts on up though.
    YouTube channel:

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ogre in the Playground

I will try to do something with this tonight, I promise. I've been working 60+ hour weeks at my job so I don't have time for anything lately. If someone wants to put up a voting thread and be willing to manage that today, that would be fine with me as well. Very sorry guys!

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Author and Lead Developer of Path of War
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

My extended homebrew signature!

11. - Top - End - #221
    Titan in the Playground

Timing. xD

Don't worry, ErrantX, I at least forgive you.
    YouTube channel:

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ErrantX View Post
    I will try to do something with this tonight, I promise. I've been working 60+ hour weeks at my job so I don't have time for anything lately. If someone wants to put up a voting thread and be willing to manage that today, that would be fine with me as well. Very sorry guys!

-X
    No worries. The contest is pretty cool and all, but getting money so you can eat and stuff should probably be a higher priority.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Titan in the Playground

Drat. I tried to find older voting threads so I could put up one myself, but I can't find them. They're also not linked in any of the contest threads, only the announcement of the winner.
    YouTube channel:

14. - Top - End - #224
    Troll in the Playground

15. - Top - End - #225
    Firbolg in the Playground

...So... next contest?
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

16. - Top - End - #226
    Titan in the Playground

Thank you so much for bumping this thread, DMoD. I had lost my internet right in the week NineThePuma posted the link to an earlier voting thread and when I got it back I couldn't find the chat thread either and just decided to forget about it then.

But seeing it back now, I have put up a voting thread! See here!
    YouTube channel:

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ogre in the Playground

Dang, forgot I hadn't done the fluff sections at the end. That's rather annoying.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

18. - Top - End - #228
    Titan in the Playground

I myself specifically filled out those last few necessary parts a few days before the official end to avoid that. I think one of the other two disqualifiers intentionally withdrew, dunno about the last one.
    YouTube channel:

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ogre in the Playground

In my case, I'd thought I had already done them in the initial rush of completion, after which the only other thing unfinished was the features of light. Due to this and the lack of anyone mentioning they were black I completely overlooked needing to fill them in. Well, there's always next time.

Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

20. - Top - End - #230
    Titan in the Playground

I'm sure you'll manage to come up with something awesome.

That being said though, we probably need to start thinking of potential themes. Perhaps "powering up", where it is based on abilities like rage, frenzy, ki frenzy, lycanthrope forms, etc. Basically a state that you stay in for limited time, but which makes you stronger.
    YouTube channel:

21. - Top - End - #231

Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark View Post
    I'm sure you'll manage to come up with something awesome.

That being said though, we probably need to start thinking of potential themes. Perhaps "powering up", where it is based on abilities like rage, frenzy, ki frenzy, lycanthrope forms, etc. Basically a state that you stay in for limited time, but which makes you stronger.
    I personally prefer Cursed as a theme- either a curse that you can tap into for power, breaking curses that others make, and so on, could be interesting.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #232
    Titan in the Playground

In case I forget, can someone perhaps email me once the deadline on the voting thread has passed? I might miss it as I will need to deal with my grandmother getting hospitalized suddenly and want to help her out, or my mom who will likely spend most days there.

Additionally, I may not be on as much, but with me I never know in such situations.
    YouTube channel:

23. - Top - End - #233
    Ogre in the Playground

I apologize for my absence here. Between my employment situation increasing my hours from 45 to 55-60 due to tax season starting for me at my job, plus family health issues I've been very far from these halls, and I totally dropped the ball here. I suck, and I'm sorry. That being said, I'd still like to run the contests, but with my schedule (or lack thereof), its become more or less impossible.

If someone is willing to take over the contests or at the very least willing to co-run this with me when I have spare time, that'd be appreciated. I look to Morph Bark as he's really been awesome, but if someone else wants to step up and volunteer to at least help me run this through the holidays into next year, that would be incredible. PM me and we'll discuss..

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:
    Path of War and Path of War Expanded: An OGL Tome of Battle for the Pathfinder game system, for Dreamscarred Press.
    Psionics Augmented: Psychic Warrior and Psionics Augmented: Soulknife for Dreamscarred Press.

24. - Top - End - #234
    Troll in the Playground

I suck, and I'm sorry.
    BLATANT LIES.

Life has you by the metaphorical throat. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. We can understand that there's a problem, and the contest will do its best to persevere. I think I can safely speak for all of us when I say that these contests are looked forward to.

25. - Top - End - #235

Couldn't think of a better place to post this, so... Djinn, are you ever planning on finishing those Seiškona of the Iron Bands vestiges?
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

New contest: Time.

Go.

I'll do my best to be more active, but I'm gonna rely on Morph Bark to help me field questions and such. I'll second his judgment.

-X
    Chris Bennett
    Freelancer

My credits:

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ettin in the Playground

I am made sad that we cannot post old content as part of the competition; I have a really sexy "editing the past" PrC posted on these boards, somewhere...
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

28. - Top - End - #238

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    I am made sad that we cannot post old content as part of the competition; I have a really sexy "editing the past" PrC posted on these boards, somewhere...
    No, you can actually post it, I think... there was the question of that sometime ago. You just can't have had it in the contest before; if you already made it, it's fair game.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DMofDarkness View Post
    No, you can actually post it, I think... there was the question of that sometime ago. You just can't have had it in the contest before; if you already made it, it's fair game.
    This is incorrect. See rule 6.

6) Entries must be your own work, and must not be copied for other places. Only new work may submitted; no previously posted work will be accepted. Such entries will be disqualified. Such entries will be disqualified.
    Owrtho
    Tables

My Homebrew
    other hombrew

30. - Top - End - #240

Quote Originally Posted by Owrtho View Post
    This is incorrect. See rule 6.
    As I recall, the argument was that 'previously posted' implied previously posted in the contest. I may be misremembering, though.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Show