New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default [3.5e Bloodline] Akodrin (PEACH)

Where there's a request, there's bloodline. This one is based off of the Ozodrin by Owthro. I say as I do in every homebrew-centered bloodline: I apologize if I horribly ruin the amazing work on which I base this. If I do, it was obviously not my intent.

Akodrin

The Ozodrin are individuals touched by the Far Realms and granted mind-bending powers. Their true form alone is possible to drive lesser beings mad. But what happens when the Far Realms choose not to thrust power upon an individual, but instead give them just a taste of what they have at their disposal? Just enough to leave them seeking more? These poor, tortured souls are the Akodrin. They're pretty weird too. One aspect of their blessing/curse is that they cannot become Ozodrin, no matter how doggedly they pursue that path. The way is barred for them.

Level
    Minor
    Intermediate
    Major
    1 Intimidate +2
    2 Intimidate +2 Temporary Manifestation, Form Points, Feature (Basic Eyes), 3 FP
    3 Charisma +1
    4 Intimidate +2 Temporary Manifestation, Form Points, Feature (Basic Eyes), 3 FP Feature (Mouth), 6 FP
    5 Aberration Affinity +2
    6 Charisma +1 Feature (Tentacles), 9 FP
    7 Spot +2
    8 Temporary Manifestation, Form Points, Feature (Basic Eyes), 3 FP Feature (Mouth), 6 FP Boogey Man, 12 FP
    9 Strength +1
    10 Aberration Affinity +2 Mobile Form, 15 FP
    11 Aberration Affinity +4
    12 Charisma +1 Feature (Tentacles), 9 FP Feature (Limb), 18 FP
    13 Climb +2
    14 Spot +2 Feature (Spike), 21 FP
    15 Constitution +1
    16 Feature (Mouth), 6 FP Boogey Man, 12 FP Down-Right Terrifying, 24 FP
    17 Aberration Affinity +6
    18 Strength +1 Feature (Fin), 27 FP
    19 Sense Motive +2
    20 Aberration Affinity +2 Mobile Form, 15 FP Embrace of the Realms, 30 FP

Temporary Manifestation: Akodrin are given just a glimpse of the power of the Ozodrin. They gain a Manifested Form just as the Ozodrin, but they are incapable of holding it indefinitely. Instead they may only maintain this form for a number of rounds per day equal to their charisma modifier plus 1/4, 1/2 or 1X their level, depending on bloodline strength. These rounds need not be continuous. The Akodrin benefits from the same unsettling effect that the Ozodrin's Manifested form has, requiring enemies within line of sight to make Will Saves or become Shaken. The save DC is 10 + Charisma modifier + 1/8, 1/4 or 1/2 their level, depending on bloodline strength

Form Points: While in their Manifested Form the Akodrin has a number of Features. The number of Form Points that they may spend on their Features is the amount indicated plus an amount equal to their Charisma modifier and the number of Aberrant feats they have.

Feature: Akodrins gain access to the same Features that Ozodrins do. Only at a slightly... slower pace. Usual rules apply for the ability to change features and the like. Akodrins may choose to apply Augments to their Features just as an Ozodrin of 1/8, 1/4 or 1/2 their level, depending on bloodline strength.

Boogey Man: BOO! Nothing is quite as terrifying as a Manifested Form. Akodrins sadly don't have as much time to inspire the appropriate level of fear that Ozodrins do. So they master the art of scaring the bujeezus out of people really quickly. By expending a round of their Temporary Manifestation, they may use Scare as a spell-like ability. The save is Charisma based and the CL is 1/4, 1/2 or 1X the Akodrin's level, depending on bloodline strength. The HD limit is 1/4, 1/2 or 1X their level instead of the static 6.

Mobile Form: Akodrin don't gain access to some of the higher-level Features that Ozodrins do. So they make do with the few features that they do get. Namely they learn how to manifest their form in a specific manner to increase their land speed. While in their Manifested Form they may choose to expend additional rounds of their Manifestation to increase their land speed. For every round of use they spend, their land speed increases by 10 ft for one round. The maximum amount that can be added in this way is 50ft plus 10ft per point of Charisma modifier.

Down-Right Terrifying: What? They're scary! Even when they're not Manifested the Akodrin emanates an aura of fear, causing lesser individuals to turn and flee. A Frightful Presence, if you will. They gain a Frightful Presence with a DC of 10+Cha Mod+Level which extends out 30ft. They may activate or deactivate it as a move action. This Aura can be activated automatically when the Akodrin Manifests.

Embrace of the Realms: Okay, they got to level 20. You've got to give them a cookie or something. It's not easy being scary enough that people don't like you but not quite scary enough to focus on your scary-ness. The Akodrin's type changes to Aberration with the many of the usual benefits (Darkvision out to 60ft, immunity to effects that target Humanoids). In addition they may manifest at will a Lesser Form with a number of form points up to one half their normal allotment. The features included in this form must all be present in the Full Form. While in their Lesser Form they do not expend rounds of use for their Full Form and still benefit from the ability to scare the crud out of people, although the DC is reduced by 2. After gaining this ability the Akodrin still counts as a Humanoid for the purpose of qualifying for Aberrant feats.

I. CAN. MAKE. A BLOODLINE. FOR. ANYYYYYTHIIIIING!!! BWAHAHAHAHA-ACK-*Cough* *Cough*. *Clears throat*. Man, I ruined a perfectly good evil laugh. I need to work on that. You know, it's about standards.

Oh well. You guys know the drill. PEACHing is appreciated and encouraged. I generally attempt to fill any requests I get. It seems I even do ones for people's homebrew. I just remembered. If you want to play an entertaining and slightly crazy character, try a Mudblood of Intermediate Akodrin and Intermediate Chosen of the Far Realms. Big fun.
    Last edited by Welknair; 2014-05-04 at 08:21 PM.

Fourthland: A Game of Abstraction
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virdish
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark
    There have also been times where I was jealous of your ingenuity and skills.

Extended Homebrewer's Signature

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5e Bloodline] Akodrin (PEACH)

Well, I confess I was rather curious how you would attempt to pull this off when I saw you mention that you'd gotten the request, and I do say you seem to have pulled it off marvellously. I do wonder though what the Down-Right Terrifying ability does, given the lack of description. Good work, I'll add a link to this from the menacing manor page shortly. Added.
    Edit: Not too familiar with bloodlines though, so I can't say all that much on the balance of its power. Still, based on your other bloodlines I've seen, nothing strikes me as over the top.
    Edit2: Also, forgot to mention, you should likely mention the rate at which they gain augments for the features they gain, since it currently is somewhat unclear.

Owrtho
    Last edited by Owrtho; 2011-07-17 at 04:05 AM.
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

3. - Top - End - #3
    Bugbear in the Playground

frown Re: [3.5e Bloodline] Akodrin (PEACH)

Okay, lots of bloodlines I like for fluffiness.

... So I figure I should learn about them. So what is it, you just decide a bloodline if DM so allows, and you gain the bonuses at listed levels? Level adjustment? Effective Character level boost? or is it like a weak class...

My Homebrew

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Owrtho View Post
    Well, I confess I was rather curious how you would attempt to pull this off when I saw you mention that you'd gotten the request, and I do say you seem to have pulled it off marvellously. I do wonder though what the Down-Right Terrifying ability does, given the lack of description. Good work, I'll add a link to this from the menacing manor page shortly. Added.
    Edit: Not too familiar with bloodlines though, so I can't say all that much on the balance of its power. Still, based on your other bloodlines I've seen, nothing strikes me as over the top.
    Edit2: Also, forgot to mention, you should likely mention the rate at which they gain augments for the features they gain, since it currently is somewhat unclear.

Owrtho
    Crud. That's what I get for typing it up in a hurry. One sec and I'll add that.

As for the Augments, I thought that they gained access to all Augments for any Feature which they had. If that is the case, then I have added a relevant line. If that is not the case (which your phrasing certainly implies), then please correct me on how Augment access works.

Quote Originally Posted by Cipherthe3vil View Post
    Okay, lots of bloodlines I like for fluffiness.

... So I figure I should learn about them. So what is it, you just decide a bloodline if DM so allows, and you gain the bonuses at listed levels? Level adjustment? Effective Character level boost? or is it like a weak class...

See, this is the problem with me making so many bloodlines. Almost no one knows about them. Luckily, they're included in the SRD here, and as such you may be easily educated. The basic idea is that any character may have a bloodline and that this bloodline is separate (in addition to) any class that they have. In return for the benefits, a Level Adjustment is applied over time. Minor Bloodlines impose it between 11 and 12 (When the rest of the team levels to 12, you stay at 11. When they go to 13, you go to 12). Intermediate bloodlines do this going to 12 and to 6. Major do this at 12, 6 and 3. And now you know.

You'll notice that my bloodlines are a bit more... powerful. This is because those given are too weak for players to seriously consider them given the LA. And no one wants an LA. Not to mention I don't feel that those given were appropriately unique for each bloodline. They're a lot alike and not terribly flavorful. Hence all of my remakes.

And thanks, as always, for the support. Glad to see people are still enjoying these.

Edit: Funny story. When I went off to make this, I had to decide a name. I wasn't entirely sure whether "Ozodrin" meant something or not. My initial impression was that it was just a collection of syllables that sounded appropriate, in which case I can just change a couple so the bloodline sounds like the base class. But then I worried that maybe it does mean something, in which case I'd be turning something intelligble into gobbledygook. So what can a homebrewer do? I googled it. Do you know you have fan art?
    Last edited by Welknair; 2011-07-17 at 09:48 AM.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

I want to know who/what inspired you to make all these bloodlines so I can give them/it a hug. Great job.

As a request, I want to see what you can do with this, if you haven't already put work towards it.
    Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Misc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by A Friend Of Mine
    Bloody Mess: The gift that keeps on gibbing.
    Fatigue makes me wax philosophic and/or babble. If I've posted something strange and tangential, that is probably the cause. This entry would be an example.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by radmelon View Post
    I want to know who/what inspired you to make all these bloodlines so I can give them/it a hug. Great job.

As a request, I want to see what you can do with this, if you haven't already put work towards it.
    Well it all started with my Half Blood which was inspired by the Percy Jackson series. From there, it was all you guys. Had I not gotten the enthusiastic reception I did, I wouldn't have gone to make all of these. And I'll add the Engineer to the list. I'm curious to see what I come up with.

Edit: Read through the basics of the Engineer. Hey! Guess what! If you play an Engineer with a Noble-Blood Bloodline you're just like a Spark!
    Last edited by Welknair; 2011-07-17 at 11:45 AM.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    As for the Augments, I thought that they gained access to all Augments for any Feature which they had. If that is the case, then I have added a relevant line. If that is not the case (which your phrasing certainly implies), then please correct me on how Augment access works.
    Well, that's mostly correct, but many of the later augment have level requirements beyond when you gain the feature. Looking at eyes for example, the ability to see invisibility requires level 3, tremor sense and blindsight require level 7, and Arcane Sight requires level 10. Other features similarly have requirements like that. I might suggest adding some form of having the levels count as a fraction of ozodrin levels for the purposes of augments they have access to (while still requiring they have the pertinent feature as well).

See, this is the problem with me making so many bloodlines. Almost no one knows about them. Luckily, they're included in the SRD here, and as such you may be easily educated. The basic idea is that any character may have a bloodline and that this bloodline is separate (in addition to) any class that they have. In return for the benefits, a Level Adjustment is applied over time. Minor Bloodlines impose it between 11 and 12 (When the rest of the team levels to 12, you stay at 11. When they go to 13, you go to 12). Intermediate bloodlines do this going to 12 and to 6. Major do this at 12, 6 and 3. And now you know.
    Actually from the description I read, bloodline levels are actually more powerful than LA, as they still count a levels. This means that they count toward getting feats and ability increases. They grant you HD (d0 true, but still makes you one hd higher). You also get to count them for things like your caster level and DCs of any abilities based on class level.

Edit: Funny story. When I went off to make this, I had to decide a name. I wasn't entirely sure whether "Ozodrin" meant something or not. My initial impression was that it was just a collection of syllables that sounded appropriate, in which case I can just change a couple so the bloodline sounds like the base class. But then I worried that maybe it does mean something, in which case I'd be turning something intelligble into gobbledygook. So what can a homebrewer do? I googled it. Do you know you have fan art?
    Ah yes, the source of the name ozodrin. It has in fact been discussed at least twice in the main thread by my recollection. The answer is the class was originally based on a character named Ozoi (who is the one pictured on the first post of the ozodrin). To avoid copying her name directly, and help make it somewhat distinct, I added a few more letters that still left it pronounceable and seemed to conjure up the proper image.
    As for the fan art, I have indeed seen it. I myself was surprised the first time I saw it.

Owrtho
    Tables
    Want them to look nice? Have a guide

My Homebrew
    [creature]Shiny: Monster Competition XXXVI entry.
    [class]Wisp fire guide: Follow me. I have such sights to show you.
    [class]Ozodrin: A class to play as an eldritch horror.
    other hombrew

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, that's mostly correct, but many of the later augment have level requirements beyond when you gain the feature. Looking at eyes for example, the ability to see invisibility requires level 3, tremor sense and blindsight require level 7, and Arcane Sight requires level 10. Other features similarly have requirements like that. I might suggest adding some form of having the levels count as a fraction of ozodrin levels for the purposes of augments they have access to (while still requiring they have the pertinent feature as well).
    Ah. Sorry I missed that. Corrected.

Actually from the description I read, bloodline levels are actually more powerful than LA, as they still count a levels. This means that they count toward getting feats and ability increases. They grant you HD (d0 true, but still makes you one hd higher). You also get to count them for things like your caster level and DCs of any abilities based on class level.
    That is indeed correct. I'm just too lazy to explain all that now. Though I am considering creating a "Guide to Bloodlines".

Ah yes, the source of the name ozodrin. It has in fact been discussed at least twice in the main thread by my recollection. The answer is the class was originally based on a character named Ozoi (who is the one pictured on the first post of the ozodrin). To avoid copying her name directly, and help make it somewhat distinct, I added a few more letters that still left it pronounceable and seemed to conjure up the proper image.
    As for the fan art, I have indeed seen it. I myself was surprised the first time I saw it.

Owrtho
    Ah, okay. So Akodrin isn't a cruel mockery of a real word, just a name based on a name based on a name. Okay.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ettin in the Playground

I need you to check the Save for Manifested Form. Do you really need a +ECL to that save for a Major Bloodline?
    Quote Originally Posted by segtrfyhtfgj View Post
    door is a fake exterior wall
    If you see me try to discuss the nitty-gritty of D&D 5e, kindly point me to my signature and remind me that I shouldn't. Please and thank you!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amechra View Post
    I need you to check the Save for Manifested Form. Do you really need a +ECL to that save for a Major Bloodline?
    Good catch. That oughta be 1/2. Fixing now.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show