New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Scrying on People (New Mage)

I am a little confused about how Scrying works in Mage the Awakening.

1) Can you cast Scrying targeting a person instead of a place?

2) Would you need Sympathetic Magic to do #1, making the spell Vulgar and cost mana?

3) Does Scrying on a remote location make the spell Vulgar and cost mana? (I'm not sure why the spell description wouldn't mention if it did)

4) If you can't Scry on a person, is there any other way to find a person? It seems a bit weird if you can use Sympathetic magic to throw fireballs at a person but not to look at them.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Scrying on People (New Mage)

raw Space magic and sympathetic magic is a bit confusing, so I can't answer all your questions, but...

You can scry on people. Never forget that without a person's true name the sympathetic link gets worsened by 2 levels, making the fainter links impossible and the mild links impractical early on.
    The true name is pretty much the first name the person identifies to, usually the birth name. Swapping that name for another is nigh-impossible, as the easiest method to do it is...imperial magic. It's part of why every mage is urged to make a shadow name.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: Scrying on People (New Mage)

1. Place,object, person, animal, whatever you have a sympathetic connection with.
    2. Scrying is sympathetic by its very nature, so no.
    3. No
    4. Question kinda moot, but sometimes you just can't scry someone, if that's the case: Lots of ways if the target isn't far away. Less so if he is but when in doubt use Fate :P