New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 49 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718192035 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

Default Re: General WoD Discussion #1: Assemble

So I find myself in need of some assistance.

I'm in an oWoD LARP, and the STs held a drawing for random character benefits last session, and I received "a mentor for any one unique discipline."

This seems awesome, but I have no idea what to pick, as I know jack about WoD. I'm playing a Malk with my only out-of-clan discipline being Presense, but I don't know what goes with that.

They do mean any, too. Necromancy, Vicissitude, that thing that those voodoo Nos get... The only one that they seemed skeptical allowing about was something about controlling time, and Flight, as my character does not have wings.

So please, I'm looking to overpower the hell out of my character, what should I grab?

2. - Top - End - #272
    Ettin in the Playground

The discussion here might be useful to you, and there's a list of disciplines here that you might want to look at.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thespianus View Post
    I fail to see how "No, that guy is too fat to be hurt by your fire" would make sense.

3. - Top - End - #273

BlackDragon

Ah, gracias!

4. - Top - End - #274
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zorzark View Post

I'm in an oWoD LARP, and the STs held a drawing for random character benefits last session, and I received "a mentor for any one unique discipline."

This seems awesome, but I have no idea what to pick, as I know jack about WoD. I'm playing a Malk with my only out-of-clan discipline being Presense, but I don't know what goes with that.

They do mean any, too. Necromancy, Vicissitude, that thing that those voodoo Nos get... The only one that they seemed skeptical allowing about was something about controlling time, and Flight, as my character does not have wings.

So please, I'm looking to overpower the hell out of my character, what should I grab?
    For true overpowering there was a Thaumaturgy Path called the Path of Morpheus ( sorry can't remember which book it was in). With it in you can enter and control other peoples dreams and KILL THEM IN THEIR DREAMS.
    And true to the folk lore if you die in these dreams you're really dead. Particulalrly good as not only do you control the dreams but in them you get to use your disciplines they don't.

On a more rational level I'd pick Protean, probably the most useful; and life-saving discipline IMHO
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

5. - Top - End - #275
    Barbarian in the Playground

Celerity and Obsfucate are always relevant at all levels of play.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Heroes of Horror is only 1.8 pounds. By comparison, the DMG is a hefty 2.6 pounds, making it by far the more powerful book.

6. - Top - End - #276
    Bugbear in the Playground

What are the more efficient ways to restore Willpower in Vampire the Masquerade? For background, a friend got me interested in the system and so I'm drafting up a Ravnos who specializes in Chimerstry but is addicted to their own illusions (thinking of taking Bon Vivant as my nature since it seemed to go flavorfully with being addicted to my illusions). At first I was considering making the character a Catiff but from what I've read so far Catiffs are slightly less popular than taxes.
    Doc Roc: We're going to eat ourselves.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Firbolg in the Playground

Buying up the Meditation skill could do it.

It's found in the Storyteller's Companion.

8. - Top - End - #278
    Troll in the Playground

Willpower is damn difficuly to get back and the fact that Chimestry uses it is one of the in-built limitations to stop the Discipline being too powerful.
    Find a Nature you're comfortable with and earn it for playing in character is ( Meditation and obscure Thamaturgy rituals aside) the only way to get it back. Unless you can convince your ST to use the optional rule where you get a point back every night (day ?) of rest.
    All Comicshorse's posts come with the advisor : This is just my opinion any difficulties arising from implementing my ideas are your own problem

9. - Top - End - #279
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by comicshorse View Post
    Unless you can convince your ST to use the optional rule where you get a point back every night (day ?) of rest.
    This is a pretty common optional rule to use, at least in the games I've played in. It's pretty difficult to get back other wise depending on your Nature.

you could always take something like Trickster as your nature, and try to convince the ST that using Chimistery should give you a Willpower back when you use it by the shear nature of it. lol good luck with that one.

10. - Top - End - #280
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

LARP is a whole other ball of wax as far as disciplines go. Are you a Dominate Malk or an Dementation Malk?

Is Mental or Social your primary? If you go Social then Bone Path of Necromancy is pretty sick because it has Soul Rip. that's pretty much an auto-kill if you out trait someone.

If mental is your primary, you can't hardly go wrong with Thaumaturgy. Consider the Path of Focused Mind...I believe that one of the intermidiate powers lets you do two mental actions a turn. Usually employed to use two different paths of thaum at the same time, I'm thinking some rapid fire dominate could be pretty rough. And Path of Blood for a Dominate monkey can be pretty useful too, no one will expect that the high gen Malk can dominate those elders....with potency of blood you can!

You should already have Obfuscate in-clan, and while Celerity is always useful if you don't have the traits in Physical to back it up, you'll just be using it to run away.

Don't discount Animalism, because Quell the Beast is broken if you are a Dominate/Presence machine. Quell them, they can't spend willpower. If that is what your set up is like then Path of Blood becomes even more attractive.

11. - Top - End - #281

BlackDragon

Dementation Malk, with my social and mental getting to about equal (10/12 split). I'd like to grab celerity, but the limitation is that it has to be a "unique" discipline, and I'm not built for combat in the slightest. I'm not actually built for anything in the slightest, because I can't figure the LARP rules out but that's another story.

Anyway, I'll check out those paths. Thanks!

12. - Top - End - #282
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Dementation Malk, with my social and mental getting to about equal (10/12 split). I'd like to grab celerity, but the limitation is that it has to be a "unique" discipline, and I'm not built for combat in the slightest. I'm not actually built for anything in the slightest, because I can't figure the LARP rules out but that's another story.

Anyway, I'll check out those paths. Thanks!
    I thought of another question you might want to clarify...are you going to able to get more than the first basic power from this special mentor? if you're only guaranteed the first basic that might color your decision. If that happens to be the case, I might consider Malleable Visage from Vicissitude. I can think of all sorts of nasty tricks to pull with that one and a little judicious use of Dementation.

13. - Top - End - #283
    Barbarian in the Playground

It depends on how the GM runs the fluf and then rules versus fluf, if you have say 3 dots in mentor but he is easily accessible then getting more then 2 dots in a discipline is very, very unlikely but if he is really hard to get or demands a lot for his teachings then you might even get up to 4 or 5 dots in that same discipline.

Say, if he asks for a drink of his blood for every lesson after the first run you would have a hard mentor, mid level in dots but with a large drawback for a large amount of teachings.
    Or something similar.

Teacher that lives in a temple in Tibet, where you are not welcome and you need to pop in and get out as soon as the next night comes around is another example of a mentor with a big drawback but again this should give access to higher leavels of teaching.

Of course if you are unbondable then the teachings in my first example would be less, up to three dots tops or so, after all he is not really getting anything out of it.

14. - Top - End - #284

Quote Originally Posted by Deadmeat.GW View Post
    ...after all he is not really getting anything out of it.
    But the mentor doesn't necessarily know that; a smart Unbondable character doesn't go around telling others about it...

15. - Top - End - #285
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by TheCountAlucard View Post
    But the mentor doesn't necessarily know that; a smart Unbondable character doesn't go around telling others about it...
    A really smart Unbondable character has whatever the OWOD equivalent of high Manipulation+Persuasion would be to convince people he is bondable.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Deadmeat.GW View Post
    It depends on how the GM runs the fluf and then rules versus fluf, if you have say 3 dots in mentor but he is easily accessible then getting more then 2 dots in a discipline is very, very unlikely but if he is really hard to get or demands a lot for his teachings then you might even get up to 4 or 5 dots in that same discipline.

Say, if he asks for a drink of his blood for every lesson after the first run you would have a hard mentor, mid level in dots but with a large drawback for a large amount of teachings.
    Or something similar.

Teacher that lives in a temple in Tibet, where you are not welcome and you need to pop in and get out as soon as the next night comes around is another example of a mentor with a big drawback but again this should give access to higher leavels of teaching.

Of course if you are unbondable then the teachings in my first example would be less, up to three dots tops or so, after all he is not really getting anything out of it.
    eh, the regular Mentor rules probably don't apply, as he said it was a 'special Mentor' which is why i was asking for clarification. It sounds like it was bonus background, which also implies you can start the game with it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    A really smart Unbondable character has whatever the OWOD equivalent of high Manipulation+Persuasion would be to convince people he is bondable.
    and quite fun to play :-) I've been known to force multiple "mutual" bond-bonds using Unbondable, Dominate, and just making them plain feel guilty about try to bond me. muhahahahahaha. all according to plan.

17. - Top - End - #287
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wings of Peace View Post
    The power difference is fairly wide but with some optimization on the werewolves part it can be compensated for. If both parties are optimizing though then the Sin-Eater walking around with infinite plasm is going to win.
    Infinite plasm you say? Please, do elaborate...

18. - Top - End - #288

Quote Originally Posted by Caliphbubba View Post
    and quite fun to play :-) I've been known to force multiple "mutual" bond-bonds using Unbondable, Dominate, and just making them plain feel guilty about try to bond me. muhahahahahaha. all according to plan.
    You're telling me; my Malkavian was Unbondable, and was probably the most manipulative PC out of the bunch.

Of course, the Tremere PC couldn't be discounted for lack of trying - he used that Thaumaturgy ritual to imbue rolls of coins with his blood, and gave them to the rest of the party without telling them they'd count toward a blood bond on his part... unfortunately for him, he just didn't know I couldn't be bound.

Of course, establishing a blood bond the sneaky way is a lot harder in nWoD.

19. - Top - End - #289

RogueGuy

You just can't be so subtle. I had a NPC who would mesmerize other vamps and feed them his blood, then wipe thier memory. He wouldn't go all the way and bond them fully, but he got quite a few people at 2nd level bonds before they caught him.

As it turns out, always wearing mirrored sunglasses is a survival mechanism in a world where people who make eye contact can erase your memory.
    Last edited by Fouredged Sword; 2011-09-02 at 01:00 PM.

20. - Top - End - #290

Quote Originally Posted by Fouredged Sword View Post
    As it turns out, always wearing mirrored sunglasses is a survival mechanism in a world where people who make eye contact can erase your memory.
    Though doing so at night can get you some funny looks...

Also, fun with Disciplines: Dominate a cop into shooting the first person he sees wearing a trenchcoat and sunglasses at night. Start a betting pool on what kind of splat he ends up shooting.
    Last edited by TheCountAlucard; 2011-09-02 at 01:23 PM.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Orc in the Playground

Flumph

You're telling me; my Malkavian was Unbondable, and was probably the most manipulative PC out of the bunch.
    Funnily enough the character that I pulled most of the bloodbone shenanigan with was a Malkavian too.... lol good times.

Also, fun with Disciplines: Dominate a cop into shooting the first person he sees wearing a trenchcoat and sunglasses at night. Start a betting pool on what kind of splat he ends up shooting.
    that is hillarious.
    Last edited by Caliphbubba; 2011-09-02 at 01:29 PM.

22. - Top - End - #292

RogueGuy

It's all in the balance - one one hand mortals think you are stupid, on the other you turn a corner to find yourself face to face with your worst enemy and he asks you politly to follow him into a dark ally.

I know what hand I am going with.

23. - Top - End - #293

Quote Originally Posted by masterjoda99 View Post
    Infinite plasm you say? Please, do elaborate...
    Pyre-Flame Caul ** + Mending the Mortal Coil (Ceremony). It's not something you're likely to use in combat but it can ensure you always start off with a full supply of plasm.
    Last edited by Wings of Peace; 2011-09-02 at 02:11 PM.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Dwarf in the Playground

Which then raises for the question: Is it more optimal for a sin-eater to start with Psyche 2 and buy that ceremony with merit dots, or start with Psyche 3 and buy the ceremony with xp?

25. - Top - End - #295

MindFlayer

Which then raises for the question: Is it more optimal for a sin-eater to start with Psyche 2 and buy that ceremony with merit dots, or start with Psyche 3 and buy the ceremony with xp?
    Psyche costs, what? 8exp per dot(judging by other gamelines)? so the third dot would be 24 xp.

I'm prety sure the ceremony is cheaper, xp-wise.
    Last edited by Blackfang108; 2011-09-02 at 03:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    Somebody that pisses off a Warlock is going to go down fast. But with a Warlock, death will be a mercy because the Warlock is a secondary controller, and en route to killing you he'll first cripple you, then blind you, then set you on fire, then steal your girlfriend.
    "There is no overkill, there is only 'open fire' and 'I need to reload.'" - Howard Tayler

26. - Top - End - #296
    Titan in the Playground

Mending the Mortal Coil is a 4 dot merit. So, 20 xp. Psyche 3 is 24 xp.

Then again, Psyche 3 would only cost 3 merit dots rather than 4.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

27. - Top - End - #297

BlackDragon

I'm not sure. I'd have to get in touch with the DMs on that, and they usually don't respond to email. For the moment I'd assume I can get pretty high in whatever given discipline, as this is a likely bribe to get people to keep coming to a game that is slowly dying.

I wish I'd taken unbondable, but nooo, I had to take oracular ability instead. Ah well, next time, next time.

28. - Top - End - #298

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    Mending the Mortal Coil is a 4 dot merit. So, 20 xp. Psyche 3 is 24 xp.

Then again, Psyche 3 would only cost 3 merit dots rather than 4.
    That almost makes me wish I was using the Pyre-Flame key on the sin-eater I'm building for a friend's chronicle. I might have to pick that up when I can afford the Caul dots and the ceremony.
    Quote Originally Posted by CN the Logos View Post
    They're just there, and horribly fatal when one stumbles across them, like self-aware landmines.

29. - Top - End - #299

Quote Originally Posted by ToySoldierCPlus View Post
    That almost makes me wish I was using the Pyre-Flame key on the sin-eater I'm building for a friend's chronicle. I might have to pick that up when I can afford the Caul dots and the ceremony.
    Dots don't buy keys unless I'm mistaken. It's been awhile since I read Geist.

30. - Top - End - #300

Dots don't, but experience points do. It's expensive, at 10 points per key, but it can be worth it. What I was referring to when I said, "when I can afford the dots," was simply having the experience points to buy all of the dots in the ceremony and manifestation.
    Quote Originally Posted by CN the Logos View Post
    They're just there, and horribly fatal when one stumbles across them, like self-aware landmines.