New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 49 FirstFirst ... 161718192021222324252627282930313233343536 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: General WoD Discussion #1: Assemble

I agree with the above posters, in that all in all, this could actually improve the story as the PCs are a more integral part of events. The players might believe you only started this story arc because of that one action, and if they do, well, that's just gravy.

I have a totally unrelated question about spirits. Is there any way to tell how much essence a spirit is currently packing? I imagine this would be an extremely useful ability, as I'd rather fight a starving Rank 3 than a well-fed Rank 2. Specifically, this is for a Werewolf game, so it would need to be something they had access to.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Mopalot View Post
    I would argue that that's slightly off. Unless you have a perfect group who are very attentive to making their stories good *stories* you also need to know when to make things less flexible. A great example is mystery plots. It's true that you can just decide whatever interpretation they come up with is the correct one, but players will feel that, and it'll be less satisfying than if they figured out the solution you had in your head to begin with.
    You misunderstand. I never said that everything has to revolve around the players. Just that Storytellers need to be flexible enough to react to whatever the players may do. That doesn't mean changing the solution to a murder mystery so that the players are right when they guess who the killer is, but it may mean providing some additional evidence when they burn down the mansion that had all of the planned evidence in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by CN the Logos View Post
    They're just there, and horribly fatal when one stumbles across them, like self-aware landmines.

3. - Top - End - #753
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ToySoldierCPlus View Post
    You misunderstand. I never said that everything has to revolve around the players. Just that Storytellers need to be flexible enough to react to whatever the players may do. That doesn't mean changing the solution to a murder mystery so that the players are right when they guess who the killer is, but it may mean providing some additional evidence when they burn down the mansion that had all of the planned evidence in it.
    Ok. So they delve into the Hedge to save the Hitman from torture when the Warring courts put a spin on it, making each other seem to be the thieves.

I also plan on adding a cult subplot who told the Night Courtier to assassinate the Day Courtier and wants to wipe out the Courts and rebuild them to rule over Humanity. Good Idea or Bad Idea?
    Current Avatar:
    Captain Roy Valiant by Lord Fullbladder

Former Avatars:
    Deepwyrm Drow Warblade by gurgleflep
    Kakashi Avatar by Dispozition
    Draenei Spellbreaker by KaptainKrutch
    Quote Originally Posted by Anecronwashere View Post
    Cleric: Right, I cast Infict Serious Wounds on that guy.
    DM: Sorry, you kissed too many babies this week, you heal him instead
    Cleric: Quick! Someone find me a dog to kick

4. - Top - End - #754
    Titan in the Playground

In general, planning exactly what you want to happen is a Bad Idea.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

5. - Top - End - #755

I think I found a a theme song for Changeling. Actually, a lot of that album could fit.

Ever been listening to music and it just clicks perfectly with something else?
    Last edited by Mr.Bookworm; 2012-01-14 at 07:26 PM.
    Awesome Cyborg Doom Monkey avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins. Offer up your robo-bananas to him.

6. - Top - End - #756

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bookworm View Post
    I think I found a a theme song for Changeling. Actually, a lot of that album could fit.

Ever been listening to music and it just clicks perfectly with something else?
    Often.

Full Moon by Sonata Arctica for Werewolf. A Gorey Demise by Creature Feature for Geist (or Dwarf Fortress) in general, and The Greatest Show Unearthed for a specific Sin-Eater I would like to play. Pretty much anything by Nightwish for Mage and/or Changeling.
    Quote Originally Posted by CN the Logos View Post
    They're just there, and horribly fatal when one stumbles across them, like self-aware landmines.

7. - Top - End - #757
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    In general, planning exactly what you want to happen is a Bad Idea.
    The idea was to allow a minor Timeskip (about a season)
    Current Avatar:

Former Avatars:

8. - Top - End - #758
    Titan in the Playground

Hey is Geist any good? I've got Mage, Changeling and Werewolf, and I'm planning on never getting the other three splats, but I'm on the fence with Geist.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

9. - Top - End - #759
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    Hey is Geist any good? I've got Mage, Changeling and Werewolf, and I'm planning on never getting the other three splats, but I'm on the fence with Geist.
    I like Geist, for reasons that this man explains better than i could.
    Quote Originally Posted by flabort View Post
    Burnheart, thanks to you, everyday reality is just a little less desirable. Until this happens, I am just this much more insane.

10. - Top - End - #760
    Titan in the Playground

cool thanks. Geist sounds like something worth looking into.

11. - Top - End - #761
    Titan in the Playground

Geist is awesome and you should play it.

Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

12. - Top - End - #762
    Titan in the Playground

Yea, it sounds like I could have a Moros/Sin-Eater Buddy Detective story from it.

or a Werewolf/Sin-Eater Buddy Detective story.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; 2012-01-15 at 03:42 PM.

13. - Top - End - #763
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

He's a by-the-book detective who came back from the dead and can talk to ghosts. He's a loose cannon cop who can transform into a berserk nine-foot-tall furry killing machine. They Fight Crime.

14. - Top - End - #764
    Titan in the Playground

Please do note that Sin-Eaters are one of the more powerful splats - and they have very broad abilities which are pretty cheap to buy.

Although pairing one up with a Mage or Werewolf shouldn't cause too many issues.

15. - Top - End - #765

BlackDragon

I know they won't cause problems with Mages but Werewolfs? I'd always heard they were weak in cross splat games.

16. - Top - End - #766
    Firbolg in the Playground

RogueGuy

They are somewhat tough and heal fast. Also with a spirit mage in the group they have unlimited essence, so they can work out well enough as a meat tank. They can also kill humans and other splats without morality issues, something that is ofttimes overlooked but is very useful ability for someone who deals death to people on a regular basis.

17. - Top - End - #767
    Dwarf in the Playground

Not really being familiar with the online World of Darkness fandom/RPG group/whatever, I am wondering, generally, how willing are people to allow fan things, like Genius, into their games? For some reason I was recently thinking that it'd be neat to join a "crossover" game as a Genius, but apart from that I don't know where such a game would take place, I don't know how likely it would be for such a thing would be allowed. That, according to someone much earlier in this topic (forgot which page), they're on the same power level as Mages makes it seem like it'd might not be allowed regardless of the Storyteller's opinions of such things, unless they were also allowing Mages, I suppose.

18. - Top - End - #768
    Titan in the Playground

Well, I'm a total Genius fanboy, so I may be biased, but I love inserting Genius into the nWoD.

19. - Top - End - #769
    Dwarf in the Playground

I love it too, really, and am going to be using it in the nWoD thing I'm doing with some friends in real life (we may even start with a Genius game, actually). That said, I can see why some people wouldn't like it, even if those things don't matter to me, so, yeah.

Actually, on this topic, I just checked the games forum here and seem to have just missed a nWoD game. Curses.

20. - Top - End - #770

I vacillate between hating and loving Genius. Depends on the context.

On the one hand, it's MAGIC SCIENCE: THE PULPENING, and that's awesome.

On the other hand, it's MAGIC SCIENCE: THE PULPENING, and that's a steampunk sheep among the herd in the nWoD.

In a Genius-only game, it works, because then you can be Doctor Apocalypse and murder the Nazis from Mars with your death ray.

In a mixed game where everyone is on board with being magic superheroes, it can work, because then you can be Doctor Apocalypse running around with Frankenstein Batman and Gandalf Superman.

In a mixed game where you have one guy who's a Genius and someone else playing a Promethean or whatever who wants to do something serious, yeeeeeeah.

I mean, I guess you could strictly enforce themes and stuff and play a Genius seriously, but that would suck a lot of the fun out of them.
    Last edited by Mr.Bookworm; 2012-01-16 at 11:06 PM.
    Awesome Cyborg Doom Monkey avatar by Lord Fullbladder, Master of Goblins. Offer up your robo-bananas to him.

21. - Top - End - #771
    Dwarf in the Playground

I could actually see playing a serious Genius working pretty well, provided you had the right attitude for it; it is a concept that has some inherent ridiculousness, even compared to most of the stuff in the World of Darkness, but provided you don't mind, or perhaps even enjoy, playing a serious character, then at least as far as I can see it could be done really well. I'd like it, at least; wouldn't mind being a serious or semi-serious Genius, if there was an appropriate RP.

Edit: Despite that, you did in fact nail one of the reasons I could see someone disliking Genius; between that it easily lends itself to ridiculous situations and that mad scientists are... Well arguably Prometheans and the like were created by mad scientists (but not the sort that make jetpacks and death rays), but they are sort of the odd man out. Really, it depends on what the storyteller is aiming for.
    Last edited by Kojiro; 2012-01-16 at 11:01 PM.

22. - Top - End - #772
    Titan in the Playground

Darnit I want to play Genius now.

I blame you, Kojiro!

In a Genius/Promethean crossover game, I would absolutely make the Light of Inspiration and the Divine Fire the same thing.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2012-01-16 at 11:06 PM.

23. - Top - End - #773
    Dwarf in the Playground

Huh, that could actually work; I was just talking about how Prometheans were created by people like, you know, Dr. Frankenstein. If you executed that right, though, that could work really well.

Also, if you, or someone else, gets together a game, either of Genius or some crazy nWoD crossover, I will totally join it.

24. - Top - End - #774
    Titan in the Playground

Geniuses with Exelixi 5 an in fact make Prometheans, you know.

25. - Top - End - #775
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    Geist is awesome and you should play it.
    Played a Sin Eater in mixed company, and it worked beautifuly. I didn't feel underpowered, nor Overpowered

And in another WoD game, I'm going to play one again, who is a car thief who died because the Zippo he was trying to light a square with caused him to wreck a Lambo and drop it, lighting the interior on fire
    Current Avatar:

Former Avatars:

26. - Top - End - #776
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hm, is there some sort of etiquette to trying to assemble a game you yourself aren't going to be the GM (or Storyteller, in this case) of? It seems like it may be a bit rude to just go "Hey I want to play this sort of game but don't want to run it, someone else do it for me", but at the same time it's hard to get anything going without, you know, drawing attention to it.

27. - Top - End - #777
    Ogre in the Playground

Daemon

Quote Originally Posted by Kojiro View Post
    Hm, is there some sort of etiquette to trying to assemble a game you yourself aren't going to be the GM (or Storyteller, in this case) of? It seems like it may be a bit rude to just go "Hey I want to play this sort of game but don't want to run it, someone else do it for me", but at the same time it's hard to get anything going without, you know, drawing attention to it.
    Well i'd start with a good, clear idea for the game in question, while a simple "I want to play a game of x, who else is interested?" can work, if you have a good idea it may inspire a ST/GM/DM who sees it to jump in and run the game.
    Quote Originally Posted by flabort View Post
    Burnheart, thanks to you, everyday reality is just a little less desirable. Until this happens, I am just this much more insane.

28. - Top - End - #778

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Kojiro View Post
    I'll second what burnheart said and ask what system do you want to play? because if it's nWoD i'll probably be interested in playing.

29. - Top - End - #779
    Dwarf in the Playground

Alright, can do. Should I make a topic for that in the other forum section or just go on here? I have the beginnings of an idea or two already.

Also, nWoD, both for Genius, which is part of it, and because it generally works better with "crossovers", being designed to handle such things specifically.

30. - Top - End - #780

BlackDragon

It's best to post it in the finding players section.