New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 49 of 49 FirstFirst ... 243940414243444546474849
Results 1,441 to 1,457 of 1457
  1. - Top - End - #1441
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: General WoD Discussion #1: Assemble

Quote Originally Posted by Sydonai View Post
    I made a slight error, I meant that the Basement-dweller would be less likely to try changing the status-quo after ascending and thus less likely to be killed by every other Archmage who more-or-less like the status-quo.
    I'd think it would be the other way round myself- the guy who had never possessed any worldly influence or wealth who suddenly achieves ULTIMATE COSMIC POWER would be more likely to try and use his new power than the one who could have sought worldly power, but deliberately rejected it for asceticism instead. A hermit living in a basement and a hermit living in a cave aren't that different, except for the visual stereotypes they bring with them.

2. - Top - End - #1442
    Firbolg in the Playground

You know, I just realized - Imperial Mysteries implies that there are Archmage (or Archmage+)-class beings protecting the other supernaturals in the universe, right? Well, Equinox Roads spends as brief period talking about a phenomenon known as "Wyrd Transcendence," which occurs when one of the True Fae acquire six or more Titles; in short, they become something greater than a normal Gentry, and may be some kind of semi-willed aspect of the Wyrd itself. Might such "evolved" Gentry be the entities playing at reality-politics on behalf of Arcadia and the Lost?

Quote Originally Posted by Chilingsworth View Post
    Wow! Not only was that awesome, I think I actually kinda understand Archeron now. If all the "intermediate" outer planes got that kind of treatment, I doubt there would be anywhere near as many critics of their utility.
    My extended homebrew sig

3. - Top - End - #1443
    Bugbear in the Playground

Probably. Then you have Luna, Gaia, and the other incarnae who are likely protecting the Uratha and the spirit world. Though I am curious to know who or what is protecting the vampires and the sin-eaters.
    Quote Originally Posted by CN the Logos View Post
    They're just there, and horribly fatal when one stumbles across them, like self-aware landmines.

4. - Top - End - #1444

Clearly, Caine is a 6th-dimensional being, capable of existing across multiple gamelines simultaneously.

5. - Top - End - #1445
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ToySoldierCPlus View Post
    Probably. Then you have Luna, Gaia, and the other incarnae who are likely protecting the Uratha and the spirit world. Though I am curious to know who or what is protecting the vampires and the sin-eaters.
    The Deathlords and/or Neverborn. Seriously, the long lost and/or legendary Deathlords are referred to in Book of the Dead, and I've heard tell of some more recent "Old Laws" charms for Abyssals.

I'm not a tremendous fan of Exalted (I like the theme of someone being given tremendous power and then having to decide what to do with it for better or worse, but the actual setting doesn't click with me... maybe I should look at the Shards book?) but this crossover possibility amuses me to no end.

Not that the Exalted/NWoD crossover is new, exactly, since the myth of the God-Machine implied something like Exalted's backstory in the core rulebook.
    Last edited by CN the Logos; 2012-07-18 at 03:11 PM.

6. - Top - End - #1446

Plus, as I recall, Exalted was the backstory for the OWoD. I'd forgotten about the Deathlords, so that answers that question. Prommies presumably have the qashmallim, and maybe even the Divine Fire itself, but I'm less familiar with that game, so I can't be sure.

A crossover between Exalted and NWoD would be hilarious: a mixed circle of Exalts winds up in the NWoD, and has to learn about this strange and bizarre land, while deciding if they want to find a way of returning to Creation, conquer the new land, or do something else entirely. Meanwhile, the various supernatural groups have to decide how to respond to these new, absurdly powerful beings, and to the changes in their respective cosmologies.
    They're just there, and horribly fatal when one stumbles across them, like self-aware landmines.

7. - Top - End - #1447
    Pixie in the Playground

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...2#post13575362

Can anyone give me a hand? I need some help with a Changeling: the Lost game.

8. - Top - End - #1448
    Firbolg in the Playground

RogueGuy

An exalted / nWoD crossover would end in tears. Likely tears of laughter, but tears none the less.

How would solar exalted even interact with vampires and such, and what happens if you punch a Promethean into a duck?

9. - Top - End - #1449

Quote Originally Posted by ToySoldierCPlus View Post
    Plus, as I recall, Exalted was the backstory for the OWoD. I'd forgotten about the Deathlords, so that answers that question. Prommies presumably have the qashmallim, and maybe even the Divine Fire itself, but I'm less familiar with that game, so I can't be sure.
    The qashmalim are angels as described by Jewish mysticism. Not even slightly altered: seriously, the parts of the book dealing with them read like one of the writers read the Jewish Encylopedia article on angelology, and said, "Yeah, let's just write some mechanics for that and call it a day." This would strongly imply that the Principle is God, although the writers dance around that implication like they're wearing hot iron shoes, and when they finally take time to address it in Strange Alchemies, point out that whatever God is in charge of the World of Darkness probably has more in common with Azathoth than with the conventional religious depiction of Him.

Anyway, regardless of what explanation you use for it, the Principle is either a force with no consciousness or totally incomprehensible to everything except Itself. The qashmalim mess with or aid the plans of others according to whatever motivates It, but either way, it's hard to count it as a "side" in the conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by Fouredged Sword View Post
    An exalted / nWoD crossover would end in tears. Likely tears of laughter, but tears none the less.

How would solar exalted even interact with vampires and such, and what happens if you punch a Promethean into a duck?
    Now you have me wondering how much work it would be to covert Exalted to the NWoD system. Probably more than I'd be willing to do, but given the horror stories I've heard about Exalted mechanics, it might be worth it.

Also: Anyone here interested in Storytelling a solo game? I posted the request in the recruitment subform, but I figured maybe someone here who wasn't actively looking for a game might be interested.

...I swear I'm less argumentative as a player than I am as a random forum dude. Honest.
    Last edited by CN the Logos; 2012-07-18 at 11:20 PM.

10. - Top - End - #1450

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    I'd think it would be the other way round myself- the guy who had never possessed any worldly influence or wealth who suddenly achieves ULTIMATE COSMIC POWER would be more likely to try and use his new power than the one who could have sought worldly power, but deliberately rejected it for asceticism instead. A hermit living in a basement and a hermit living in a cave aren't that different, except for the visual stereotypes they bring with them.
    I wish I'd never made that damn example. I was just trying to express a hypothetical character who could go straight from Zero to Transcendence in 3.5 decades with literally almost no worldly or supernatural contact with others the whole time, solely to illustrate how contrived it would have to be. Basement Hacker Archetype was just the first image to come to mind; I guess I sort of ran away with it

The Deathlords and/or Neverborn.
    Hm. Not that it's not logical, but is that ever backed up in the lit'rachoor anywhere? A direct tie between bloodsuckers and the underworld, I mean.

Quote Originally Posted by Fouredged Sword View Post
    Oh, man. I would play that. I would play the hell out of that. But Sweet Crispy Christ, the mechanics! Somewhere across time, space, and causality, I think I just heard the Unconquered Sun throw up in his mouth a little.
    Last edited by Cirrylius; 2012-07-18 at 10:38 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1451

The Dreadlords/Neverborn would be more likely to sponsor Prometheans, wouldn't they? They do have the whole 'walking wasteland' thing going on.

12. - Top - End - #1452
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post

Oh, man. I would play that. I would play the hell out of that. But Sweet Crispy Christ, the mechanics! Somewhere across time, space, and causality, I think I just heard the Unconquered Sun throw up in his mouth a little.
    Yea, you'll probably have to use Strands of Fate or Marvel Heroic Roleplaying for that kinda game….
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

13. - Top - End - #1453

Someone go find Meschlum, get him to write up a Wyld Fae ability that causes the universe to start operating by an entirely different game systemset of natural laws.

14. - Top - End - #1454

Hm. Not that it's not logical, but is that ever backed up in the lit'rachoor anywhere? A direct tie between bloodsuckers and the underworld, I mean.
    Oops. Sorry, I was thinking Book of the Dead was an Exalted product. Duh.

Someone go find Meschlum, get him to write up a Wyld Fae ability that causes the universe to start operating by an entirely different game systemset of natural laws.
    Heh. Probably be simpler to just go find Ravnos and ask him to make with the Chimerstry.
    Last edited by Cirrylius; 2012-07-18 at 11:25 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1455

The bit about the Deathlords is in one of the Geist books (Book of the Dead IIRC), yes. As for vampires, I figured that since Abyssals are, more or less, Exalted vampires (with having to eat people to regain their mojo outside the Underworld and being sort of undead), it would be likely that they were connected if, in fact, the two gamelines take place in the same reality/continuity/whatever.

But I'm not terribly familiar with Exalted beyond what I've heard from fans of the setting, TV tropes, and Keychain of Creation, so my grasp of that setting's metaphysics is rather shaky.

The Dreadlords/Neverborn would be more likely to sponsor Prometheans, wouldn't they? They do have the whole 'walking wasteland' thing going on.
    I don't think so. From what I understand, the Neverborn want to drain all life from everything so that they can have the sweet release of death. That's why/how Abyssals kill everything. Prometheans, on the other hand, create a Wasteland around them because they're radiating Pyros like a broken nuclear reactor radiates... radiation. Neither form of Pyros is inherently destructive; Elpidos is a force for creation and order, while even Flux, the chaotic and mutagenic aspect of Pyros, is still probably essential to keep the universe working (pure order is as hostile to life as pure chaos, after all).

So while they're both destructive, they're destructive for totally different reasons. To use an analogy, Abyssals, if I understand correctly, are destructive in the way gangrene is, while Prometheans are like cancer. The first causes the body to start rotting while its still alive, whereas the second is actually out of control growth.

As for who Prometheans would be sponsored by... I don't know. The Yozi? Possibly the Unconquered Sun even (if he was deliberately verate to contrast with the Ebon Dragon, perhaps he is the Elpidos to the Dragon's Flux)? I don't know, you guys who are more familiar with Exalted can debate that one.
    Last edited by CN the Logos; 2012-07-18 at 11:50 PM.

16. - Top - End - #1456

Planetar

Made the second General Discussion thread for the world of darkness: General WoD Discussion #2: Its time to Celebrate!

17. - Top - End - #1457
    Pixie in the Playground

Daemon

[deleted post]
    Last edited by TheGateKeeper70; 2014-07-29 at 01:30 AM.