1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

NinjaGuy

Default Jazmith Project (I.C., E6)

House of Traia/general setting info follows:

Town: Jazmith
    Spoiler
    Show
    The house of Traia is in the crumbling city of Jazmith. Jazmith was once an extremely wealthy trade town until travel became nearly impossible after The Awakening.

Jazmith has a large population, and many districts within its large stone city walls. It's Western edge and castle are built into a mountain chain. The Eastern side is flanked by a calm sea port that leads to many rivers and the Deep Sea.

House of Traia
    Spoiler
    Show
    The House of Traia is a guild of ill-repute. At least that is the title they received after having been the first organization to unionize workers of its kind. The house was put together in times when men and women had money to spare. Its clientele and and employee's have severely dropped in number. So much that you are the only remaining two remaining "working ladies".

Workers of the house are distinct and must always present themselves with a large blue T on their scabbards and broaches. If not wearing an identifying signal, they are required to identify themselves as a member to everyone they speak with, and, before consenting to any "work".

The House of Traia is still run by the original Madam, Traia. The only other employee is Tupik.

The Awakening: 3 years prior
    Spoiler
    Show
    No-one saw it coming, no-one heard it coming, no books or legends predicted it.

The Befreier had always submitted to the other gods, yielding his animals and beasts both hideous and beautiful to the will of others. No more.

There was no conflict, just a change in... attitude...

Birds still flew, fish swam, bees buzzed. They just became more violent, and seem more intelligent and seemingly... organized.

The roads became unsafe to travel in small numbers, and the seas (although generally considered safer) were just as affected. Towns are subject to attack both by swarm and guerrilla tactics by animals they once never feared.

Its strange though. One will look at an animal and expect it to go along its normal business and it may change its mind and attack. Other times you may see an angry bear whom you've just disturbed, and it will just walk away.

Most people think it is best to just avoid most animals. Domesticated animals(including familiars, etc...) are just as prone to this behavior, therefore most have been abandoned to the wild. Even before attacking their master.

Animals/Beasts:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Humanoids have never been able to communicate with most animals, except basic training signals.(includes druids and other wilderness classes)

Before the awakening they were normal, and would run if scared. Now, some will attack on site, some will run away scared, and some may lead you into a trap while hunting them. They don't seem to have a particular agenda, but they are violent towards humanoids.

The Nation: Travest
    Spoiler
    Show
    Travest isn't a large nation. It is actually fairly small, but contains two important cities: Jazmith and Jordan(the Capital).

Cities have gone into a Martial Law sort of order, since even armies may have a hard time traveling outside of a cities limits. Even so, a peasant army/militia seems to be enough for small hamlets to defend themselves.

The most important duty of all rulers is providing food for the people. Since the Awakening farming has become a dangerous prospect, and most individuals aren't skilled enough to hunt animals that attack back.

There is not much correspondence between Jordan and any of the smaller cities. It would seem that they have the defense of their own walls and feeding the people are their main priority.

The main contact between cities comes from Runners.

The Befreier
    Spoiler
    Show
    The Befreier is a Demi-God who is also known as "The Beastmaster"

Most stories about how and why he started the Awakening are just that... stories. Nobody of note has come up with a reason that the gods would let him do what he's done, or why they haven't stopped him yet.

The Deep Sea
    Spoiler
    Show
    Much of this world is yet to be discovered. The deep sea has seen men leave, and return with riches/scars and stories of other men who insisted on exploring further. Occasionally men from unknown lands will arrive at port as well with spices, plants, animals, etc... that have never been seen on our shores before.

Madam Traia
    Spoiler
    Show
    Madam Traia loves her girls(and guys) and has always been good to them. She doesn't work for profit. She loves love, and she promotes her women as though they were her own children. She is middle aged, but looks much younger.

The Madam unfortunately was robbed of her chance to procreate by a priest of Vecna. She has never told you how or why.

Tupik
    Spoiler
    Show
    Tupik is a youth who was publicly refused by the constantly hiring militia and army recruiters. He is also the son of the right hand man to the Freiherr(ruler) of Jazmith, Markov.

Tupik's father Travod most certainly has made an order that Tupik is not to be allowed into military duty.

Tupik and Travod don't speak to one another. This is well-known public information. It has been that way since Tupik became a teenager.

Tupik's job is to protect the working ladies. He never does anything beside wait outside the room though. He seems to have a fierce loyalty to the Madame, and you will occasionally hear him in his room alone crying.

Travod
    Spoiler
    Show
    Travod is publicly known as a wizard. One of few. Most who are gifted with magic are shunned, and have never been particularly organized.

It is a signal of great respect or fear to have a wizard sit amongst your advisors. Travod doesn't speak publically or in court, so his opinions and reasons for being included amongst the Frieherr's advisor's remain shrouded.

Runners:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Runners are messengers that specialize in getting through the wilderness. They seem to have amazing luck, and are never attacked by groups of animals.

Pelor's Presence:

Spoiler
    Show
    In times long since forgotten, when it is said that wars were as common as housemice, all gods waged war against one another using mortals as their chess pieces. As they were doing so they only realized that they were losing all of the people that they were trying to win over. Humanity had become nearly extinct. In a moment of compromise, all of the major gods agreed that the field of combat should be protected, no matter the alignment, race, or religious belief/disbelief of the participant.

All fields of honorable battle are protected by all gods. Any can ignore this protection in their opponent if they give it up themselves. The definition of "honorable field" changes depending on which god is watching at the moment It is considered extreemly poor taste drop Pelors Presence, and is a crime in most communities.

Assasination attempts are not covered, the gods deal with assasins themselves.

Magic, Personi
    Spoiler
    Show
    The language of magic has its own personality. It knows who weilds it, and how powerful they are. It can be fickle, and sometimes must be convinced. It is said it has some personality traits of Mystra herself.

Magic has been known to lend itself to a cause at times of great need or consequence... or fail.

Some hypothesize that magic has its own agenda seperate from Mystra's. Some say that Mystra's control over magic is absolute, while others say she created it, but now it is like an adolescent child - it is rebelling against her.

When it comes to the language itself, it is known to hide itself, or leave the minds of those who would weild it if they don't exhibit control. For example, a young mage listening or reading the words of an advanced spell, or a spell from a shunned school may hear words that sound like magic, but don't resemble the actual words at all. Other times the language is heard, then nearly immediatly forgotten.

The term that encompasses these effects is "Personi". Used like, I don't rememberwhat words he used because of the Personi. Or, "this is the first time Personi has let me hear that spell, the words were beautiful. Etc...
    ~NeverSleep~
    STRmod.com

2. - Top - End - #2

NinjaGuy

Default Re: Jazmith Project (I.C., E6)

George, Janet, and Key have been with a mercenary group called "The Wing" for two weeks now. George's old war-buddies convinced him to join-up for this mission, and the coin is solid. You three have a special mission once you reach the destination.

So far you've been asked not to be too observant of your surroundings, as you've been looking for something in the wilderness. You're not blindfolded, but you've been lead around in circles for many days in a row.

It's the plains near Jazmith. You have several bruisers in the group with you, and no animals have attacked your caravan. They'd be silly to. You're all armed to the teeth, and it is obvious.

Today you stop, its mid-day. No rain, actually unusually dry for the season.

Trrgden:
    (Half-orc)

"Alright, Found it." (snort)

You both lean out the side of your wagon to peak at what the leader of this band of around 25 is so excited about.

Key:

Looks like we're here, time to go to work.

Key doesn't even look up from his book as he speaks, but he makes his way to his knees and starts a ritual that George is very familiar with.

He sets down the book and mumbles a short prayer to Pelor. Probably about 3-6 words if you would guess, it all sounds sort of mumbled. He blows hot air onto the miniature holy symbol of Pelor that he keeps attached at his shoulder. One of many.

He grabs another symbol, you don't see the god represented, and whispers another few words while nodding emphatically. Then a rabbit's foot comes out of his bag, he raises it to the east and rubs it.

He continues with many different items and charms, apparently hurried through them by the adventure at foot.

Spoiler
    Show
    George knows that Key is a very special guy. Always studying. He seems to know a little bit about everything and everyone. Anytime you need something done, Key is a guy to turn to. He has been known to cast a spell in a pinch, climb rope like a fiend, and tumble like a gymnast. But he doesn't practice any of these things. He just reads, observes, and is apparently lucky.

Trrgden:

"We watch from here: Orders. You do what need inside, then come out. Good luck on you."

Trrgden's broken common is welcome sound to George. He's been through many a tight pinch with this guy barking half-orders at him. The plan always seems to work out though.

You have orders to bring back something that looks like a golden tusk back to your contact in Jazmith. You've been warned of hostiles. You probably won't be able to negotiate, which is why you three are geared up for combat.

You see two stones outcropped from the ground from the back of your wagon. George hasn't finished his ritual yet, but looks like it should only take another minute, as he's gone through just about every god you've ever heard of.

What do you do?

Spoiler
    Show
    Please let me know if you need background information that is not present in the opening.
    ~NeverSleep~
    STRmod.com

3. - Top - End - #3

Janet

Janet grabs the side of the wagon, weapon in hand, and flings herself out of the wagon. She lands in a slam and steadies herself. She looks around, black hair tied back in a ponytail, sunlight glimmering on her fullplate armor. She shakes her guisarme in both hands positioning it for comfort and combat then tightens her grip. She takes a look around and searches for the ready direction for the team to head while also observing her surroundings.

Spoiler
    Show
    spot
    (1d20+6)[10]

search
    (1d20+5)[11]
    Last edited by Dakuwan; 2011-10-27 at 04:54 AM.

4. - Top - End - #4

NinjaGuy

You observe the scene.

Several men have already plopped down in near exhaustion, racing for their personal waterskins. Others have been riding are recieving orders to set-up the shelters. Others still are seting up a perimeter for scouts.

The area is within a small valley, not deep at all.

The stones ahead are being observed by the leaders here, and they motion you three to come forward.

As you three approach it is obvious that the stones are concealing something in the ground.

Trrgden:

You go, we wait. We leave if you gone for 2 days.

He hefts a boulder revealing a latch.
    ~NeverSleep~
    STRmod.com

5. - Top - End - #5

Janet

Janet looks down to the latch, and raises an eyebrow "Trap door, Where does it lead? No matter, I'm ready to leave when everyone else is."

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

George

Spoiler
    Show
    George would have already asked what to expect, but he'd take the mission if that information wasn't available and a buddy asked him to.

George loads his crossbow and stows his shield and spear. He gives his daughter a look, she knows he's ready, watching her back. Then he waits for Key.
    Last edited by StarkRavingSage; 2011-10-27 at 02:06 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

NinjaGuy

Key speaks up as the for is revealed.

[COLOR="cyan"If we've been lead to the right place, this is the home of one of the sub-clans of .brabarian draconians. Again, pending the accuracy of what I've heard, there should be a small complex down here.

Maybe 20 to 130 members led by Ragnar, the Alive. [/COLOR]
    ~NeverSleep~
    STRmod.com

8. - Top - End - #8

Janet

Janet jerks her head to throw her hair behind her head, there's a swish as it glides against her steel shield on her back. She looks to Keys, "Hmmm, they friendlies?"

9. - Top - End - #9

NinjaGuy

Key

Ragnar is the unsuccessful son of the unsuccessful leader "Ruger". Very little respect for him from the population, thus his title. Recently, according to our source in Jazmith, he's come across an artifact that our client is interested in.

These guys probably aren't very well organized. They've been flaunting the find to some of the wrong people.

Our goal is the horn, nothing else. But nobody minds a dead draconian.

I have no idea if they'll be friendly to anybody. Actually, thats quit doubtful now that I think about it.
    Last edited by NeverSleep; 2011-10-27 at 04:30 PM.
    ~NeverSleep~
    STRmod.com

10. - Top - End - #10

RedWizardGuy

George

I s'pose not.

11. - Top - End - #11

NinjaGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Please post descriptions of yourselves before going down.
    ~NeverSleep~
    STRmod.com

12. - Top - End - #12

RedWizardGuy

George is wearing lots of dead animal skin studded leather armor, sturdy boots, leather breeches, a belt with pouch, gloves, a cloak, and a backpack. He's also carrying an everburning torch, a short spear, wooden shield, a light crossbow, and quiver full of bolts. His black hair is very short cropped. His movements seem deliberate, but not powerful. Most people find him quite likable, right off, he's magnetic and simply projects a powerful presence.
    Last edited by StarkRavingSage; 2011-10-28 at 11:00 AM.

13. - Top - End - #13

Janet

Janet stands 5'6" with a thin but muscular build, for a woman. Her backpack with elixir of sneaking, elixir of hiding, her rope, grappling hook and trail rations covers her steel shield. Her masterwork fullplate completely hides her explorers outfit, her wide brimmed hat forced into her backpack. She leans her masterwork guisarme against herself as she puts her hair into a bun and dawns her helmet. She looks at the group, "Has anyone scouted this way out, what can we expect?"

Spoiler
    Show
    As Janet preped she thought about what she knows about draconians
    Knowledge arcana check, draconians
    (1d20+5)[6]

14. - Top - End - #14

NinjaGuy

You don't know much about draconians aside from the basics.

Said to have descended from dragons(which no one has seen for ages) they worship them and they attempt further their ends.

They are slight of build, and need strong leaders to be organized. And of course you know that their corpses occasionally explode. All corpses turn to stone.

They count among their ranks clerics and barbarians, but most are considered, "unskilled".
    ~NeverSleep~
    STRmod.com

15. - Top - End - #15

NinjaGuy

Key

Key is a sinewy man. If you didn't know him, you'd be bound to underestimate him. He is currently wearing leather armor that is adorned with several charms and symbols. The leather itself has imprints of several factions of monks, clerics, knights, holy men, and heroes of legend.

His blond hair is tied back in a ponytail style that is considered to be "bookish".

George knows that he carry's several hidden weapons, along with several more obvious being tucked away in packs and in hidden pockets and sheaths.
    ~NeverSleep~
    STRmod.com

16. - Top - End - #16

RedWizardGuy

George

Well Jan, I'd reckon they didn't, and even if they had we couldn't trust information that old. Unless, of course, there's something significant besides what we've been told.

George looks at Keys.

If not, we ought to get down to business.

17. - Top - End - #17

NinjaGuy

Key

They won't know much, they've been following tracks for a while now, which means this could really be any old draconian complex.

Either way, if we have the right tribe here, we can expect a larger complex which is sparsely populated, considering their recent history, but past greatness.
    ~NeverSleep~
    STRmod.com

18. - Top - End - #18

NinjaGuy

Key reaches for the latch. Fiddles for a bit, then turns a knob and you hear the sound of rushing air.

Then Key adds
    Oh yeah, and we should expect traps.

George knows about draconian traps from his past. Most are pretty basic, as draconians tend to be a simple lot. Falling walls and floors. Trigger plates with boulders. Anything with arrows is bound to have some poisen on it.
    ~NeverSleep~
    STRmod.com

19. - Top - End - #19

Janet

"I'm thinking you should scout this out, seeing as you know so much" she says leaning on her weapon.

20. - Top - End - #20

NinjaGuy

Key
    Key pulls a metal disc out of the ground. This reveals a narrow shaft. Draconian sized.

Key:

"i'll fit in fine, but Janet may have a problem. I'll take George right behind me first, the Janet you can see if you'll fit. It's quit a ways down."

He starts to get organized, then starts to back-in to the hole. There is a rope ladder.
    ~NeverSleep~
    STRmod.com

21. - Top - End - #21

Janet

Janet shruggs and waits while everyone goes down. After she checks to see if she fits.

22. - Top - End - #22

RedWizardGuy

George follows Key into the rabbit draconian hole.

23. - Top - End - #23

NinjaGuy

George and Key descend about 20 feet. Key says he still doesn't see the floor.

All human here, and no darkvision right?

Janet discovers that she won't be able to fit in with her armor on.

George notices that the sturdiness of the rope is diminishing. It is dark, and the rope is obviously stressed. The pace so far has been deliberate, slow.

Key continues to move down slowly, and signals up to you with a hushed, "sssshhhhhhh".
    ~NeverSleep~
    STRmod.com

24. - Top - End - #24

Janet

Janet looks to her captain,"can I sit this one out?I don't fit"
    Last edited by Dakuwan; 2011-11-01 at 01:53 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

NinjaGuy

Does George change any of his pattern?

Janet, Trrgden motions you to take off your armor with a grunt.
    ~NeverSleep~
    STRmod.com

26. - Top - End - #26

RedWizardGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Pattern?
    He slows down his climbing, if that's what you're asking.

27. - Top - End - #27

NinjaGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, I just meant, he doesn't stop to take a torch out, or jump down, or climb up, or anything different.

If that's the case then....

Then the two in the shaft continue, and we're waiting for Janet's action.

Oh, and the shaft people can hear Janet's conundrum at the top.
    Last edited by NeverSleep; 2011-11-01 at 09:55 PM.
    ~NeverSleep~
    STRmod.com

28. - Top - End - #28

Janet

Janet begins taking off her armor, careful not to leave anything behind and stows everything in her backpack. When she is sure she has everything and that it all secured, only then does she strap her guisarme to her back and attempt to climb down the rope dragging her pack after her.

Spoiler
    Show
    Climb check (1d20+2)[6]

29. - Top - End - #29

NinjaGuy

@Janet

You start removing your armor. It will take(1d4+1)[3] minutes, divided by two, because Trrgden orders someone to help you.

You'll be able to attach the armor to a short rope/strap that you are offered. When you start down, the armor hangs about a foot below your feet.
    Last edited by NeverSleep; 2011-11-02 at 09:37 AM.
    ~NeverSleep~
    STRmod.com

30. - Top - End - #30

NinjaGuy

Before Janet starts in,

George, make a reflex save and a climb check.

Key

(1d20)[8] ref

(1d20)[13] climb
    ~NeverSleep~
    STRmod.com