New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: AVB - Skeletal Companions

Wilstaff roars with mage-rage and gestures to the bugbear.

Fine then, ape. Come at me, and I shall severely injure your knuckles with my teeth!

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, and I only now got the Game of Thrones reference with the Khan. And only because of my Entertainment Weekly. I guess I need to watch and/or read those at some point.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    yeah, I do that kind of thing all over the place from all sorts of sources. Helps me remember names. sometimes.

anyways, roll for init.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderML View Post
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Yurhzorg is a nuclear warhead disguised as a playable character
    Much thanks to Ceika for the poketar!

I'll be away from the internet from 1/3-1/8 2019. I swear I'm not disappeared.

3. - Top - End - #303

Wilstaff goes to restrain Bennett, which is not difficult as the skeleton is not moving.

No, I've got this, Bennett. Sometimes a hob has to fight his own battles.

(1d20+4)[12]

Spoiler
    Show
    I assume it's OK that all this happening before an attack that goes off during the daytime is alright, even though it probably fudges the amount of time Wil had available just a bit?

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    as long as he doesn't have to move and change the tactical situation, absolutely.

The bugbear beats you in initiative and proceeds to charge you, leaping at you and pouncing.

One of his several blows hits for (2d6+5)[13]
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).

5. - Top - End - #305

Spoiler
    Show
    No, I mean the big daytime attack, against the Skulks. That Wil has done all this stuff so far today even though looking back in what the Aussie said in this thread, it's not a midnight attack as I had previously thought, but a daytime one. And I'm assuming we're doing non-lethal damage here, so Wilstaff will respond in kind.

Wilstaff reels from the blow, grinning even as the lights begin to dim.

Is that all you've got, ya big lummox? Try one of these on for size!

(1d20+5)[20] (1d3+2)[5]

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    it is a midnight attack. What made you think otherwise?

You hit him back. once. He feels it. Sorta.

"You a mage. Big for mage but mage. Bye-bye."

Two out of three attacks connect home for (2d6+5)[9] and (2d6+5)[16] damage.

7. - Top - End - #307

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by planswalker View Post

"Hail Wilstaff the Funny, as the Kahn says I am Gurntz Fellhand. The Skulks lock up tight in their hole where shadow is their friend only coming out at night. As far as I can see going into the sewers is likely to be a one way trip so I propose to try and get them out at daylight. We flood on end of the sewers with oil and then light it, as the oil drifts down the sewers it should force them out the other end or bottle them up into whatever ratholes they have. At any rate it should put them out into the open in daylight where they lose their natural advantages, letting us clean them up."
    This was the why. Thought that was the game plan, to do it in daytime so skulks wouldn't be able to do their hiding tricks.

Wilstaff wobbles.

Alright kid, I'll let you off easy this time. Don't say I never did anything for you.

Medic!

And he promptly hits the floor, out cold.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    ... my bad. I got the timing with that attack and another one scrambled. it has to be at night because that's when the skulks are going to be attacking the Jacks.

can we do a minor retcon where the Khan was speaking of the daylight spells his mages will cast?

He wakes up an unknown amount of time later, the hobgoblin cleric you bought the wand from earlier standing over you.

Spoiler
    Show
    700 xp for that fight.

9. - Top - End - #309

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, that was Gruntz speaking, not the Khan. I think. So it could simply be seen as a suggestion the Khan did not take, I imagine (although the Daylight spells are a good idea anyhow). However, wouldn't Gruntz burning the sewers happen before the skulk attack on the Jacks? Can't torch the Skulks if they're not in the sewers at the time because they're out hunting thieves.

Heh, 700 xp to get pounded into the ground like a railroad spike? It pays to be a punching bag.

Wilstaff slowly stands, still unsteady.

So, is the other guy still in traction?

10. - Top - End - #310
    Titan in the Playground

"If you mean that the other guys' in stitches laughing about a mage punching him, yes. I think you earned his respect, though."

11. - Top - End - #311

Just think, he'll always remember the day a mage landed a jab on his melon. Even if it was just a brief interruption in an otherwise flawless beating. Perhaps I should see about getting him as a bodyguard, or including him in my Haste spell tonight.

He then looks to Bennett.

You look like you haven't stopped laughing once the whole time I was out. Well, laugh it up, bonebag; next time I'm sending you in and we'll see how many shots you can take before you hit the canvas.

Assuming the cleric has fully restored him, Wilstaff goes to see about the construction, to make sure all is going according to schedule.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Titan in the Playground

Things were going smoothly, until they hit a snag. Apparently, there's an elf druid who objects to your arena and has wildshaped himself into a bear and is threatening to awaken some trees and kill people if construction doesn't halt. Negotiations are not going well.

13. - Top - End - #313

Wilstaff whispers to Bennett as they approach.

Bloody tree-huggers. Although with this nut he might do more to them than just hug 'em. Get ready, pal, I'm going to need you to help me. Never been much of a diplomat myself. Why settle a matter with words when lightning does so well?

He then plasters a large politician grin on his face as he approaches the bear-druid (without coming within reach of its paws).

Hello, friend. My friend and I represent Bennett and Friends, Inc. We are to be the managerial firm for this fine fighting establishment, and we want you to know that we are sensitive to your eco-concerns. However foolish and unrealistic they might be.

Did...I say that last part out loud?

Annnnyway, what can we do for you to allow continued construction on this vital community asset?

14. - Top - End - #314
    Titan in the Playground

In response, the bear grunts and threatens to charge.

15. - Top - End - #315

Wilstaff floats up 20 feet, but does not draw a weapon.

Look, let's not mince words. We are backed by a gang. Gangs do bad things to people who keep them from making money. See my friend there?

He gestures to Bennett.

He is what's left of the last guy to try and instigate an arboreal uprising. I can appreciate that you feel you are standing for something. But if you continue down this road, all that will happen is you will disappear, and the foundation of this arena will get a little bit lumpier. Don't make your death meaningless. Tell me what, specifically, we can do to help. And as a show of good faith, I will order a temporary halt to construction until I have heard you out in full.

Wilstaff motions to the building crew.

Take five, fellas. Smokey and I are going to have a friendly chat.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Titan in the Playground

The bear's form shifts, alters, and shrinks until an elf is standing before you. "Such a murderous atrocity as killing for sport is a crime against nature. It shall not be tolerated."

17. - Top - End - #317

Wilstaff laughs congenially.

Oh, thank goodness, I thought we had a real problem. There's to be no killing here, friend. The esteemed Khan Drogo has in fact gone to very extreme personal expense to ward this establishment so no lives will end. Bad for business, and worse for attracting unwanted government attention. Indeed, I suspect this might do something to lower the murder rate in the city's fringe districts. It provides a safe haven for the venting of....unnatural aggressive impulses.

Wilstaff involuntarily scratches his head for a moment at that last.

Surely friendly competition between consenting individuals with zero chance of anything more than a brief nap at the end, that can't offend Nature too much, eh?

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

"You have turned fighting and killing into a game without consequences and cannot see how such is an even greater abomination?" He seems incredulous.

19. - Top - End - #319

Wilstaff frowns, then looks to Bennett for his opinion on the matter.

Good point, B. My colleague wants to point out that most of those involved in this matter are people of the slums. Their few hours watching or participating in this contest will not dull them to the true mortality of such actions outside of the ring; indeed, they are more intimately acquainted with death than you or I will ever be. It pursues them constantly, as their hungry bellies cry out for food they lack the coin to buy. Some might call this enterprise, cruel, callous, exploitative. They might not be wrong. But the irrefutable truth is that it will provide many of those working in and around the ring a chance to earn a wage that is otherwise denied them by the unconcerned and unfeeling 'true' government of Aldhaven that shunted them into these ghettos to begin with. In the end, why don't you ask those who live here which they would prefer: to go to bed bruised and full...or whole, but lulled to sleep by the plaintive wails of their starving children?

Wilstaff looks with Bennett with respect after that speech.

I never knew you had the heart of a philosopher, Bennett. If I did, I probably wouldn't have thrown it away with the rest of your organs.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

"A mad mage speaks to me of beating people to provide them bred. I shall return, and when I do, nature itself shall rise up against you." He walks off if you allow him.

21. - Top - End - #321

If you would sacrifice these people just to further your own cause, you're even more mad than I. Which is really saying something.

Wilstaff looks to Bennett with a sly grin.

That's rather diabolical, B. And risky to boot. But why not? When you return, if you still are opposed to how I run things, meet me inside this hall of prosperity. Defeat me, and I will step down as the fighting ring's manager.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Titan in the Playground

His respnse is to summon (d4+1)[5] brown bears and have them attack the skeleton while he walks off.

Spoiler
    Show
    roll for initiative.

23. - Top - End - #323

Wilstaff calls for assistance.

Guards! Blue Hands! A little help.

He then nocks an arrow and fires it at one of the bears.

(1d20+6)[24] (1d8+2)[8]

Spoiler
    Show
    Ah, crappit. No chance I get to restore spells before the big fight, huh? And wowzers, by my reckoning that makes him a minimum of level 11. That's big-time right there. Or higher, since he managed to cast in less than a round.

24. - Top - End - #324

Whoops, forgot init: W (1d20+4)[21] B (1d20+6)[16]

25. - Top - End - #325
    Titan in the Playground

Your arrow flies true, and irritates one of the bears. You hear the guards you dismissed come running. They'll be here shortly.

You beat the bears on initiative.

26. - Top - End - #326

Bennett, on Wilstaff's order, backtracks from the beasts 30 feet and readies an action to use his flail against the first bear to approach him.

Spoiler
    Show
    Does your silence mean no? And sorry, I guess figuring out the guy's level did qualify as metagaming. I'm just glad he didn't attack, as even with druids not being a particularly good class, a level 11 one would probably crunch Wil and Ben without much issue.

27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not sure where you get the idea that druids are not a good class. They're one of the more powerful classes out there, period. Full casting, wildshape, animal companion, some NICE side abilities, it's absolutely the strong PHB class.

as for spells, no. Choose wisely what you do here.

The bears cross the majority of the distance between themselves and Bennet.

28. - Top - End - #328

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm just not convinced the AC and wild shape make up for them being what I would consider a squishier and more rigid version of a cleric. I am basing this mostly on the low level fights I've seen, but even so. I just don't know if their spell list is as robust as the others. And spontaneous casting for heal spells is definitely better than SNA.

29. - Top - End - #329

Spoiler
    Show
    Oh, right, the encounter.

Wilstaff fires again at the beast he targeted before.

(1d20+5)[10] (1d8+2)[8]

He orders Bennett to repeat what he did the previous turn: retreat and ready action.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    ... have you looked at what wildshape gives you? and with natural spell at 6th level, you get all that AND cast spells. Wildshape is one of the absolute most powerful abilities besides being a full caster available.

and I'm not sure why you think druids are more squishy than clerics. same hit dice, same saves, same attack bonus. Oh, druids do get 2 more skillpoints per level, but I don't think that makes them more squishy. And the animal companion gives them a meatshield they can replace every 24 hours if they need to, making them able far less squishy than clerics.

as for the rigid, I'm guessing your talking about the "no metal armor" thing. You ever look up metal substitutes? There are a metric ton of them. Many of which are superior to basic metal.

and spontaneous heals versus spontaneous summoning... healing is SLIGHTLY better overall, but don't dismiss summoning. You can summon things to take the hits so you don't have to.

all a cleric gets is turn undead and domains.

you miss.

due to his retreating, the bears are still 10 feet off at the end of that turn.