New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: AVB - Skeletal Companions

Sounds like a deal. But we will request of you two things: some walking-around money, for bribes or skull polish or other operating expenses, and some rope. Long, strong rope. Dangerous assignment like this, might be time to put Operation: Up into effect.

Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure if this qualifies as homebrew or not, but I've been thinking that since you can move while levitating if you push off or pull on something, perhaps it would be allowable for Wilstaff to tie a rope to Bennett and have him pull him around while levitating. Since levitating move speed is half of base, presumably this would be half of base speed that both of them would do when this occurs. If this seems too iffy, just have the mage decline the rope and we won't worry about it.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    It will work

"Will 300 gold suffice?"
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderML View Post
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Yurhzorg is a nuclear warhead disguised as a playable character
    Much thanks to Ceika for the poketar!

I'll be away from the internet from 1/3-1/8 2019. I swear I'm not disappeared.

3. - Top - End - #63

It ought to, that's a lot of money to these giblet-munching guards. We'll come back if it doesn't cover everything. I guess if you have those items, we'll be on our way. If you don't see us back here in four days, well, then good luck with the war and all. We'll be otherwise occupied with being dead. Again, in his case.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

They give each of you a hat, as well as a shirt for each of you.

Spoiler
    Show
    hats of disguise all around, and shirts of 3/day alter self, cl3. the effect lasts for 30 minutes.
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).

5. - Top - End - #65

Wilstaff admires the enchanted threads.

Never been one for enchantments, but these are pretty snazzy. Even on you, Bennett. And here I had you figured for summer colors. We'll go and try these out in the slums. For today, probably just some shopping, preparation, maybe light questioning. Tomorrow we'll head into the city and see how far the rot of Skulk corruption has spread throughout. And then probably blast some people just for kicks. Toodles, my blue ball companions!

The pair leave.

Spoiler
    Show
    Off to work, will post shopping and whatnot around midnight.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

And leave they do.

7. - Top - End - #67

A pair of individuals step out onto the streets from the Blue Hand headquarters. One is a distinguished older Latin gentleman. The other, hanging close beside him, his diminutive sidekick. Both are dressed to the nines.

The older gentleman looks at the small one.

Come on, do it. Say 'ze plane! ze plane!'

The small one does not acknowledge.

Ha, classic! There must be some serious cash behind these guys for gear this swank. Maybe we should have gone for more than 300 gold in walking-around money. But I guess if we're going to fleece someone, we shouldn't start with the only ones in Aldhaven who haven't treated us like worg droppings. For now, let's shop!

They take their newfound freedom of movement and visit a potion emporium, where Wilstaff replaces his consumed Mage Armor concoction with two fresh ones, as well as a bottle of Hide from Undead.

Quit being such a cheapskate, Bennett. 50 gold is worth it to finally crack your unbroken record in Hide and Seek.

Wilstaff also picks up 50 feet of silk rope.

I can't wait to try this out. But even in the slums, Operation: Up might attract unwanted attention. We'll save it for later. Which I know makes you happy since you've been such a big baby about the idea.

Shopping done for now, they alter their appearance again and go for a quick drink in the city. When they reenter the slums they duck into a deserted alley to dismiss their disguises and then return to the bar near the entrance of the slums that they had entered the day before. As before, Wilstaff goes up to the counter and places a gold coin under his thumb while he addresses the bartender. He turns his face so the fresh tattoo is clearly visible.

Let's say that advice of yours from yesterday was quite profitable indeed. So I thought I'd come to you first about another matter. What do you know about the Skulks? Generalities are good, but specifics of their dealings with the humans in the city proper are better. And as such, will be rewarded better.

A second coin joins the first.

Spoiler
    Show
    Was invited to mingle in the Streets thread, so I edited the circumstance behind that into my post. And while I am updating the sheets with this stuff, do I get any XP for offing the mage and joining the brotherhood?

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    ah, yes you do get xp. 900.

He notices your tattoo and gets quite respectful on you. "Pardon, sir mage, but I don't know much for sure, but one does hear rumors in my trade. From what I've heard, the skulks don't leave humans standing. Kill them on sight, it's said. They only come out at night though, and never enter a locked door. Don't know why, but that's what the dockworkers say. They say even if you're not human, best to strike a deal with them if you have to walk around the Docks at night. Supposedly, the Skulks are a bunch of hairless gray-skinned humanoids who can disappear in shadows at will and reappear anywhere they want."

9. - Top - End - #69

Spooky. Although I have to agree with Bennett that so far these stories seem to gel poorly; why would a mostly human-controlled government be so keen on buddying up to those who slaughter their people en masse? That would be pretty low, even by corrupt cop standards.

Wilstaff pays the man and leaves. It's late, so they decide to return to the Khan's building and rest for the night. In the morning, he attempts to track down either the Khan or the initiation mage who sent him on this quest. If he finds either, he stops them in greeting.

G'day, boss. We did a tiny bit of digging into our case while about town, and heard these skulks are big-time human hunters. Any clue as to why the Aldhaven Watch would cozy up to a group that likes to rub out their racial majority? Oh, and do you mind if we leave some stuff here for safekeeping?

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

You find the Khan in his "palace".

"The Skulks have a deal with the Watch because, well, between them and the Jacks, it's more than they can handle. From what I can tell, the deal is that the Skulks have free reign of the docks and in exchange, they stay there."

11. - Top - End - #71

Once again, strategizing brings Wilstaff's more rational side to the fore.

Seems to me like this matter might be relatively simple, then. We just need to get in touch with the right people in the Watch and let them know that in exchange for certain concessions and perhaps some support at the proper time, we'll eliminate their Skulk problem for good and all, and turn the docks into a slightly less hostile environment. The problem being, finding those right people.

He thinks for a moment.

Khan, I know I have asked a lot of the organization already, but do you think that if I could hire someone who already has an in with the Watch to help in our negotiations, you might be able to outlay some money as payment for him? I'll give them a down payment from the gold provided to me already, and you could provide an additional 500 gold as payment for him if he either successfully negotiates with the Watch, or sets up a meeting where I am able to do so?

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

"Tell you what, gold's not plentiful down here and even I need to be careful not to spend too much on risky ventures, but if you find us an 'in' with the Watch and he'll consent to come here, I'll personally pay whatever it takes to get him on our side."

13. - Top - End - #73

Wilstaff bids adieu to his commander. Before departing he leaves his quarterstaff and Bennett's ranseur in their quarters, assuming no one in the clan will disturb them. Then he has Bennett resume his human disguise and they set off for the city streets. Excellent! Bennett, I think your day of reckoning will soon be at hand. I must say, for a gang of criminals our new pals are proving downright beneficial.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Off to the city streets he heads.

Spoiler
    Show
    unless you're actually on Mastiff Road itself, you don't have to go back to the City Streets thread.

15. - Top - End - #75

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm intending to put up a notice for the Town Crier. I guess I post it there, in character?

16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    rp walking up to the Town Crier in this thread and talk to him. We'll handle it here.

17. - Top - End - #77

Wilstaff and Bennett approach the Town Crier. Unspeaking, Bennett hands him a note.

To my drinking buddy Hawkman, or anyone else intimately acquainted with the fine law enforcement of Aldhaven: a concerned party wishes to discuss a matter of some import with high-ranking authorities. Assistance will be rewarded for setting up meetings, and much more if our goals are met. Come to the slums, and ask for the crazy blue-faced hob who talks to dead things.

The crier presumably looks confused, especially since Wilstaff felt the need to look over his shoulder and read the note aloud even as the crier read it.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

He looks at the note, and calls out, "It's 50 gold a week to add a personal announcement. You'll have to pay me if you want me to actually add it."

19. - Top - End - #79

Wilstaff storms back to the crier.

Outrageous! For that kind of money I could pay someone to kill you and write the message in your blood. I wouldn't, don't worry. Blood is terrible for writing. In any case, I'll be taking that note back, thank you. Bennett, come along before he charges us just to talk to him.

Spoiler
    Show
    At this point I'm waiting on Perry to finish his duel. Then in whatever thread y'all want it to happen in, Wilstaff is going to sit him down and try to talk him into setting up the meeting and/or presenting the Blue Hand case to the Watch Commander.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    sounds good.

and I take it 50 gold is too much for your character to post a wanted ad?

21. - Top - End - #81

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, it's more that if Perry agrees, there's no sense in posting it and probably having five new characters show up with their hands out. If Perry says no, then Wilstaff will probably come back to the crier ready to do a little kissin'.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    k, that works.

23. - Top - End - #83

Spoiler
    Show
    Lokio said I was reporting back to the Khan now, so I guess I do that here since it doesn't involve him.

Wilstaff approaches Drogo.

Hey boss. Heard it went well. What do you want us to do in order to make sure everything goes all right? I like that big fella myself. Bennett still seems be concerned about him, though. Keeps harping about a remark Hawkman made last night in the bar about getting himself stuck between a rock and a hard place, and what that might mean for a man with such buyable loyalties.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

"Of course he has buyable loyalties. Do you think you can kill him for me if you even suspect him of betraying us? No sufficient evidence needed. Better safe than sorry."

25. - Top - End - #85

Wilstaff frowns, and scratches his chin.

Gosh, that's tough. On the one hand, I've only known you a couple days, and you're a criminal kingpin who indirectly tried to have me killed once already, in a way. On the other, he's a merc I've known for one day who no doubt wouldn't hesitate to kill me for the right price. You gave Bennett and I a kickin' ensemble. He bought us dwarf booze. Hmmmm, that is a thinker...Bennett? Opinions?

The skeleton looks on.

I agree. We already have too much stuff to carry, and having this place around to dump unneeded equipment is nice. Also, I think this is the first place I've ever felt like I belonged. No one minds my chattiness, or Bennett's tendency to reference works of fiction from other planes of existence. Besides, it seems like real dirty pool if he or the Watch tries to stick you when this Skulk hunt is really a public service.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

"Indeed. And, Wilstaff, if anyone tries to buy you from me, come to me and I'll meet their price and then some."

27. - Top - End - #87

Wilstaff brightens as a thought occurs.

Hey! I just thought of something! And it was my idea for once, Bennett, so don't try to take the credit like you always do. I have a standing invitation from Hawkman to meet him at the Sad Flint. Why not send one of my fellow Babe the Blue Ox mage buddies under disguise to scan his thoughts while we talk? See if there's anything in there about us, especially if I steer the conversation that way? I'd do it myself, but I usually have enough trouble detecting my own thoughts, much less someone else's. And if we sees betrayal, then we avoid the drop and will have to make sure he gets his soon. Or even better, if we can get him to meet in the Slums. If he refuses, we assume he's full of it, and if he doesn't, we scan his thoughts and decide his fate right then and there.

He then considers the Khan's offer, and sprouts a devilish grin.

Did you know someone just offered me 500 gold to join them, just now, while we were talking. Yeah, he seemed pretty serious, this invisible person-buyer.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

"Very cute. I'll pay you in invisible coins for invisible buyers. Anyways, I like your second option better. Have him meet us here in the Docks."

29. - Top - End - #89

Wilstaff comes close, and whispers to the Khan

It shall be so. And one more thing. Do you think we could arrange a little diversion? I don't want to sound like I'm not a team player, but if I have to kill Hawkman, I can only do it if I am not dead myself. Perhaps a low level flunky could stand in as me while I watch in disguise?

30. - Top - End - #90

Regardless of the Khan's response, Wilstaff leaves once their business to spend a quiet hour preparing spells.

Spoiler
    Show
    New spells prepared reflected on sheet.