New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151631 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: AVB - Skeletal Companions

"Sure. You also can run the bookies and take 15% of their earnings. 10% for me and 5% for you."
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderML View Post
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    Yurhzorg is a nuclear warhead disguised as a playable character
    Much thanks to Ceika for the poketar!

I'll be away from the internet from 1/3-1/8 2019. I swear I'm not disappeared.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Firbolg in the Playground

Excellent! We'll wait for payday until after our first, successful night of operations, no sense in you paying us for work we haven't done. And we'll report any expenses from the initial setup to you forthwith. We're going to begin preparations right now. Do you know anywhere we can go to get some runes or wards that either prevent death, or keep injuries a little less lethal? Pure deathmatches are more entertaining, and likely more profitable, but dead bodies will only hasten the Watch taking notice.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

"Speak with the Cabal. See what they can cook up."
    get some of that excess AP you have before rollover used(spilled AP is worth feeling sad over).

4. - Top - End - #154

Wilstaff says goodbye to the Khan and Gurntz (unless Gurntz says anything else to him) and does just that, approaching one of his fellow Cabal mages.

Howdy ho, blood brother. His High Blueness has me working on a project, and we were wondering what you know about creating wards or glyphs that protect those within an area either from dying, or sustaining potentially lethal injuries. Also, I'd like a scroll of Fly and a scroll of Haste, if'n y'all have the time. And a small order of fries. Boss will pay me when he pays me, but the magic part of the pay I could use now. Never know when someone's going to try to slip a knife into Bennett's ribs. Not that he'll mind it much.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    well, you've now walltexted the guy several times before he's gotten back on line. Mind if I wait so that he has at least a chance to respond? If you really object, I guess you can leave him.

6. - Top - End - #156

Spoiler
    Show
    What, he gets everything I'm saying? Not just the stuff that was directed right at him? Assuming that goes both ways, he must not get on too much to have only posted the once. Or he's sleeping. And I guess I can wait, mate.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    you're speaking right in front of him and making no attempt to hide what you're saying. yes he hears that. and I'm pretty sure you did catch him asleep.

8. - Top - End - #158

Spoiler
    Show
    Well, in the future if I'm filling up someone's thread, just let me know so I can clamp it down. Or at least reduce my natural bombasticness.

And I imagine I probably won't team up with him, at least right now, unless there ends up being a good reason or motivator for it. Not because of this, but because I've done a lot involving other people over the last few days between team-ups and traps, and want to take some time to focus on actually resolving some of my plot threads instead of adding more to the gnarled nest of 'em.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    that's completely cool. The two of you work for the same guy, but besides being hobgoblins, you two don't have much in common.

10. - Top - End - #160

Spoiler
    Show
    Plus Wilstaff's going to set up the arena and all that before worrying about anything else, unless the skulk attack happens before then. And arena preparation is a job for faceless NPCs and an 80's movie montage, not a real boy. On that note, do I need to be talking with you, Riz, and Mono about how to work the rules and whatfors of organized PvP here, or have you already got an idea on that front?

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    yes, you will have to coordinate that with us. you have me on im, right?

[email protected]

good for either yahoo or Windows Live

12. - Top - End - #162

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, I have you on from when we RPed the Khan/Wilstaff/Perry meeting. I'm [email protected]

13. - Top - End - #163
    Titan in the Playground

in response to your latest pots: "Sure why not. Put some jelly wrestling in there and I'll come watch for sure."

Spoiler
    Show
    you are now free to leave the building.

You approach one of your fellow mages.

"Hm... those protective wards will be tricky... I'll talk with the Eldest to see what we can devise. As for the scrolls, of course. They can be ready tomorrow."

14. - Top - End - #164

Talk loud. If he's the Eldest, he's probably hard of hearing.

So, no progress on the project today...is there any magic training I can subject myself to while I'm here? Maybe to strengthen my necro spells or whatnot? Or should I go talk to the fistslingers about how they can pump....me up!

15. - Top - End - #165
    Titan in the Playground

"I'm sure we can arrange something... Did you have something specific in mind?"

16. - Top - End - #166

I'd like to make my spells harder to avoid. Maybe some target practice with rays, or determining how to better avoid a foe's defenses. Or you could teach us Summon Prostitute, Bennett says.

Wil looks at Bennett.

Wait, Summon Prostitute? What would you even do with one if there was such a spell?

The skeleton stands mute.

Oh, 'bone' her? Classy. And here I thought you were supposed to be the moral one, whoremonger.

Spoiler
    Show
    I guess I'm trying to see if there's any bonus feats they can train into me, specifically Weapon Focus Ray or Spell Focus Necromancy. If those are too powerful to just be learned on the fly like this, maybe just bumping the DC up one on a specific spell, like Fireball or Blindness/Deafness.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    how about instead of cheating, the training is worth xp?

"I think we can arrange that."

A day later, you are 600 xp richer.

18. - Top - End - #168

Spoiler
    Show
    Holy crap, man. Excuse me for not knowing what does and doesn't fly in what is essentially my third campaign ever. Especially considering the second one had no problem giving out similar bonuses for good backstories or RP (like my cleric's +1 morale bonus to Necro spells due to a tragic run-in with a necromancer his first time adventuring). Dislodge the tree segment from your rectal cavity already. Before it takes root in there.

Wilstaff and Bennett return to the Cabal.

Howdy ho, fellas. What's the good word on our no-kill shelter and my scrolly papers of doom?

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    sorry, I wasn't meaning to be so harsh with the cheating. I din't mean that to be an attack against you. Just that bonus feats are a big deal and I'm not going to just hand them out to you. and most games actually don't give you such things for free like that.

so you can either take the xp or leave it. Either way, you won't be give such things for free. period. You'll have to earn the feats like everyone else, just like the rules say. I didn't think I was being particularly stick up the ass about not letting you cheat, but if you're upset, I guess I could call it a different term. Is there a nicer word for giving you things and letting you do things that the rules say shouldn't happen that you'd rather use?

"Your scrolls are ready, and we think we have an idea on how to make the arena non-lethal. Provided that such things as energy drain and other undead-spawning attacks are disallowed."

20. - Top - End - #170

Spoiler
    Show
    Yeah, I think the correct word in this situation would be 'no'. And maybe pointing out that it was not a reasonable request. If you don't feel your response merited mine, you are merely proving the opposite. And is this actually a listed rule somewhere, or yet another instance of you getting aggravated when players don't know things you didn't tell them? As that has become a recurring theme.

Lord, and you people called this game noob-friendly. I pity the first-time D&D player who steps foot in here. The moment he asked you what a saving throw was, I picture you reacting similar to Daffy towards the end of Duck Amuck.

I like you, you've got a creative flair and seem pretty passionate about all this. But your lack of patience is arguably even worse than mine, and if you knew me you'd realize that's quite a feat. A bonus one, even.

Wilstaff takes the scrolls.

I think we can disallow whatever is needed. If the people don't like it, they can take their money to the competing underground fighting ring that I'm fairly sure doesn't exist.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    ok, let me say that I apologize for assuming that you were just looking for a cheap feat. I had not realized you were new to dnd at all. From how well you handled things, I had assumed you were quite experienced and just looking to take advantage of what's a rather generous setting to get away with earning a bonus feat for nothing.

the cheating comment was not meant as a personal attack against you. It was meant more as a joke from one vet to another along the lines of "no, we're not that lax in AVB. Give you wealth far beyond WBL, sure. Gratuitous with the story xp, sure. Actually give you mechanical advantages that no one else gets? no.

I did not handle your response to that well, no, but I had not expected you to blow up at me for what I thought was obviously a silly request.

if I knew that a player was new, btw, I would also have informed them that doing such is cheating and we won't do that, but that bonus xp for what would logically build you up just as much as killing things is cool.

and no, I wouldn't be impatient with someone who was asking about the rules from ignorance if I knew that was what they were doing.

I now know that the semi-joke about cheating was not well received and will in the future try to only answer your questions exactly as they are asked. Explanations for why will be saved for if you ask for them. I am a really blunt person, though, and often speak my mind exactly as I think it without bothering to check to see if it offends someone. That's gotten me into trouble more than once.

btw, I still have zero aggravation about this and am not upset at all. well, I say that, insulting me about trees up my ass got my dander up enough that I wasn't inclined to smooth my rough tongue. Several posts in other threads and some time later, though, I've calmed down and would like to move on if you're cool with that.

"Okay, then. It should be a simple matter then, if not a cheap or easy one. All we need is to have it such that if a person is slain, a revivify is automatically triggered and teleportation takes them to the medical ward."

22. - Top - End - #172

Spoiler
    Show
    Experienced in some ways, total noob in others. If it involves fighting mechanics or character building, I know about as much as most, and more than some. Anything involving a skill not tied to combat, or fluff/anything RP-related, or characters above fourth level...babe in the woods. To say nothing of the unique nature of a game with interconnecting plots in different private threads. Only solo game I'd done before was Endless Dungeon, and that was as plot-free as Arena.

Also, I own no books. But don't worry, anything not in the SRD, I only used it because it was a spell or item whose info was PMed to me over the years from Arena people I was chatting with. Although it's possible I'll do my next character SRD-only just to see how it fares; if I can compile a 9-1 record in Arena before ever using an outside source, I imagine it won't be too tremendous of an impediment here. And I'm almost certainly wrong.

So yeah, between the Perry PvP outburst, the comments regarding waiting for the Aussie last night, and this, I was growing weary of being slapped with a rolled-up newspaper of lip every time I didn't know something that I simply...didn't know. Hence, comments regarding arboreal escapades in unsanitary regions.

And frankly, I'd rather have the XP anyhow. Feats are nice, but getting the extra stat boosts and +1 to attack mod and AC for Bennett if I reach the next level is more enticing still. To say nothing of more spell slots.

In any case, water under the bridge, we shall progress unabated.

Hmmm....that does sound like it'll run a pretty penny. What's the estimate? And if it is prohibitively pricey, can you think of a cheaper alternative?

23. - Top - End - #173
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    sorry about that. if I swat you too much, be sure to speak up. I really love you as a player and your character as a pc and wish to see both prosper. Don't let my hoofenmauth drive you off.

"Unlimited revivify and dimension door in a location set to trigger on a specific cue.... 42,000 gold. And that's raw components, not including the non-material costs to create."

Spoiler
    Show
    and that is just the craft-it-yourselves price. double that if you had to buy it from a contractor instead of the hobs make it.

24. - Top - End - #174

Spoiler
    Show
    If anyone won't hold it against you, it's me. I've got a temper and a poison tongue, and 200 points worth of infractions here to prove it. Got another full year before I can afford to speak my mind again.

I can already see the Khan's face if I bring him that number. But this is the Slums, let's slum up this idea a bit. First off, we cut out the teleportation. A couple lunks with a stretcher will do just as well. Second, any way to simply stabilize the person near death rather than revive them outright? Perhaps it automatically heals them just enough to not perish? Then I'll go buy some healing potions in bulk and we'll cram them down their maws to get them on their feet and out of our hair. We're just promising that people won't die. They can lick their wounds on their own dime, we don't have to do it for them.

Heck, Bennett can't. Tongueless.

Spoiler
    Show
    We can discuss the rest of the fighting ring stuff tonight on Yahoo, I reckon. For now, the suggestion is a magic to auto-stabilize at -9, or auto-heal, or something. Or, barring that, a spell to turn all damage nonlethal. Might be that none of these things exist. In which case, back to the drawing board.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

"We can do just the revivify effect for 22,500. The problem with healing is that it leaves the combatants able to fight. Reviving them keeps them alive and it assures that they remain out, since they are unconscious. I guess a stretcher team is cheaper."

26. - Top - End - #176

That is a bit more doable. I'll go pester him just one more time about it. And another question: can we turn off the effect at will? Just in case we ever have to give the crowd a little something extra.

After this, Wil goes to the Khan once more.

Bossypants, mixed news: it sounds like to avoid killing combatants, we'll need 22,500 for material costs. Unless you know a way to avoid killing blokes without shelling out for revivify magics.

Spoiler
    Show
    I guess you're right. I was wanting autostabilize at -9, but for some characters that wouldn't mean being out of the fight. Like Wilstaff, with his Rageclaws. He's up and fighting until the instant he dies.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show
    also, you can't heal dead. if they reach -10, it's game over unless they receive a revivify or other effect within 1 round.

"Not per se, but a skilled fellow amongst us can disable it. We can also build it to have a reset cooldown per person to use it, so as to avoid people seeking the thrill of death. We don't have to though. We can set it to work automatically every time for every person. At the same cost."

The Khan says when you join him, "That's why I keep the Cabal around. To find those answers. And that's a relatively cheap cost compared to the profit margin on an arena."

28. - Top - End - #178

Wilstaff waves a dismissive hand.

Pah, they wanted to spring for teleportation too, like the Blues and the Greys were just made of platinum. I told them, there's no sense treating these fighters like people. It's just going to make them uppity. We'll just find two of the strongest, dumbest fellows around to tote the fallen out of the way for the next match.

Wil leans in close, putting on his usual exaggerated conspiratorial whisper.

Also...they said it might be possible to temporarily deactivate the reviving, if we have someone with knowledge at the controls. I'm thinking if any of our clan's big enemies, or yours personally, end up in the ring...maybe there's a terrible accident, and whoopsie-daisy, they just slip away from us instead of popping back fit as a lyre.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

"I like your thinking."

30. - Top - End - #180

Spoiler
    Show
    Moved to new post.