New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 51 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XVIII

A 105 continued:
    There is no citation that I am aware of; it is a function of the word choice. You either know something or you do not, and you either have it readied or you do not. There is no mechanism given within ToB to override the way those words work.

A 109 both: The limits given at 1, 6, 11, and 16 are not limits on the invocation swap; they are limits on the invocation known level for the intervening range.
    Last edited by Cog; 2011-07-29 at 12:45 PM.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Firbolg in the Playground

HalflingPirate

A 105, cont

There is wording that agrees with the only knowing a maneuver once in relation to learning a maneuver from two classes. That agrees with what the others have said. AFB, so no page #.
    Dex

Spoiler
    Show
    Regarding my Necrotic Apprentice trick:
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    This is brilliant.
    Regarding my Non-Epic Hidecarved Dragon:
    Quote Originally Posted by Amphetryon View Post
    Nicely done. Probably too cheesy for many tables, but I'd be inclined to allow it at mine, just for chutzpah.

Have a cookie.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Check out the Versatile Domain Generalist.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Cog View Post
    A 109 both: The limits given at 1, 6, 11, and 16 are not limits on the invocation swap; they are limits on the invocation known level for the intervening range.
    At 6th level, a warlock can replace a least invocation he knows with a different least invocation (in addition to learning a new invocation, which could be either least or lesser).
    That and similar text for 11th and 16th (page 7) just says I can replace invocations I know with new ones and pick up a new invocation, which can be lesser. It doesn't say anything like "From this point on, you may learn lesser invocations". The only thing I'm seeing is an unexplained column called Invocations Known. I'm still not seeing why I can't take Utterdark Blast at level 2.

Q110: The Psionic Meditation feat says I can use a move action to become psionically focused. Is using up the move action the only requirement or do I have to give up the move action and pass the Concentration check? And do I have to have power points to use this feat? I see it included in a lot of builds that don't have a psionic class thrown in.
    Last edited by Zom B; 2011-07-29 at 01:05 PM.
    Zombitar courtesy of Djinn_In_Tonic.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Dwarf in the Playground

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Zom B View Post

Q110: The Psionic Meditation feat says I can use a move action to become psionically focused. Is using up the move action the only requirement or do I have to give up the move action and pass the Concentration check? And do I have to have power points to use this feat? I see it included in a lot of builds that don't have a psionic class thrown in.
    A110
    The move action is given up, the concentration check must still be passed, and it is not required to have a psionic class to gain focus.
    Last edited by Vandicus; 2011-07-29 at 01:12 PM.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground

A 109 continued:
    Warlock 1 gives you access to least invocations. Warlock 2 gives you no ability that changes your invocation access. Invocations known are given in a separate column from invocation access level;the requirements do not need to be restated each time you gain a new invocation known.

A 110:
    The feat says nothing about changing the other requirements of gaining psionic focus, so those must still be met. There is no requirement of having a psionic class to gain focus - merely having power points, whether from class, race, or feat, is sufficient for that requirement.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q111: can you stack meta-magic, and if so how does it work? For example, could I empower Scorching Ray twice, doing 27d6 damage as 6th level spell? Or empower it twice and then maximize it doing 27x6 damage as a 9th level spell?
    Spoiler
    Show
    I Am A: Neutral Good Human Cleric (2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-13
    Constitution-15
    Intelligence-13
    Wisdom-17
    Charisma-13

7. - Top - End - #307
    Troll in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by AxeD View Post
    Q111: can you stack meta-magic, and if so how does it work? For example, could I empower Scorching Ray twice, doing 27d6 damage as 6th level spell? Or empower it twice and then maximize it doing 27x6 damage as a 9th level spell?
    You cannot use a metamagic feat on a spell more than once, but you can combine 2 or more different feats together.

So you cannot double-empower a spell (though you could do this in 3.0), but you can empower+maximize a spell.

Normally, the benefits would stack (so a twinned+maximized spell would deal double max damage), but empower+maximize has a special clause stating they don't. Check the feat descriptions in the PHB for more information.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    I can never understand WOTC's reasoning; taking RAW as a whole is like grabbing a book filled with fortune cookie sayings and basing your life off of them.
    My humble efforts at re-cr'ing MM2
    http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=215727

8. - Top - End - #308
    Troll in the Playground

A 111 (Long ninja, but I prefer citations):

Yes and No.

Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    A spellcaster can apply multiple metamagic feats to a single spell. Changes to its level are cumulative. You can’t apply the same metamagic feat more than once to a single spell.
    Also, when you cast a Maximized, Empowered fireball, for example, you do not deal 90 damage with it. You deal (10d6÷2)+60 damage, because
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    An empowered, maximized spell gains the separate benefits of each feat: the maximum result plus one-half the normally rolled result.
    Last edited by UserClone; 2011-07-29 at 07:30 PM.

Beguiler, you just got served.
    ALL hail DirtyTabs, creator of this wonderful UserClone TRONpony!
    *sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"

9. - Top - End - #309
    Orc in the Playground

You cannot. Although Psionics does not have this restriction, AFAIR, but it is limited to 1 (max 2, with feats) meta feats anyway.
    Last edited by Tenno Seremel; 2011-07-29 at 07:33 PM.
    Exception cannot prove the rule. It disproves it.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q112: Do all of the magical weapon special abilities stack? ie, can I make a great sword with:
    +1 Enhancement
    Flaming
    Frost
    Shock
    Thundering
    Making it a +1 great sword that does: 2d6 + 4d6 + 1?

Common sense makes me think otherwise - also, I don't think I've ever heard of a weapon that does this.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-13
    Constitution-15
    Intelligence-13
    Wisdom-17
    Charisma-13

11. - Top - End - #311
    Ogre in the Playground

Q112: Do all of the magical weapon special abilities stack? ie, can I make a great sword with:
    +1 Enhancement
    Flaming
    Frost
    Shock
    Thundering
    Making it a +1 great sword that does: 2d6 + 4d6 + 1?

Common sense makes me think otherwise - also, I don't think I've ever heard of a weapon that does this.
    A112

Yes you can. although I am unsure what type of damage the sword itself does.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hazzardevil View Post
    A112

Yes you can. although I am unsure what type of damage the sword itself does.
    1d6 Fire, 2d6 Shock, 1d6 Ice, and 2d6 Slashing, if it's a greatsword.
    Iron Chef Award!

Spoiler
    Show

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

Q113

Is there a way to reduce/remove the risk caused by sunlight to a Vampire character?
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ogre in the Playground

A113:

Expedition to Castle Ravenloft has an artifact which accomplishes this.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Szar_Lakol View Post
    A113:

Expedition to Castle Ravenloft has an artifact which accomplishes this.
    Does the Hellheart Locket make a worn vampire immune, if I can convince me use the Dayheart? Or is that just a devil-summoning thing?
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey McBannert View Post
    Why 2d6 shock and not: 1d6 shock/1d6 thundering?
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-13
    Dexterity-13
    Constitution-15
    Intelligence-13
    Wisdom-17
    Charisma-13

17. - Top - End - #317
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Grey McBannert View Post
    Why 2d6 shock and not: 1d6 shock/1d6 thundering?
    Technically, the correct answer is 1d6 fire, 1d6 electricity, 1d6 cold, and 2d6 slashing damage, with an additional 1d8 sonic damage and a DC 14 Fortitude save to become permanently deafened (only on a critical hit).

I'm not sure off the top of my head if there's an enchantment that lets a weapon deal sonic damage on every hit, but if there is it isn't Thundering.
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Technically, the correct answer is 1d6 fire, 1d6 electricity, 1d6 cold, and 2d6 slashing damage, with an additional 1d8 sonic damage and a DC 14 Fortitude save to become permanently deafened (only on a critical hit).

I'm not sure off the top of my head if there's an enchantment that lets a weapon deal sonic damage on every hit, but if there is it isn't Thundering.
    Screaming (MIC p. 42) does, but only 1d4.
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

19. - Top - End - #319

Lizardfolk

Q 114

If a human totemist with the "Feral" template has the "Rend" special quality (from having 12+ hit dice), can he rend with his natural weapons produced by soulmelds?

20. - Top - End - #320
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 114 No.

This doesn't work, likely for two reasons:
    • The Rend special attack is specific to the Feral creature's hind legs, with the normal claw damage for that size Feral creature. I don't know of any claw soulmelds that have Chakra Bind (Feet).
    • Rend and other items listed under Special Attacks for the Feral template are granted only for monster hit dice, not hit dice from class levels. Only the Feral Special Qualities are granted for all hit dice.

21. - Top - End - #321
    Bugbear in the Playground

Q115
    Most d20srd prestige class descriptions explain Spells per Day as requiring a choice of which pre-existing spellcasting class increases by one level (as Thaumaturgist), but the Prestige Paladin does not.
    a. Would a Ranger 4/Cleric 3 taking level 1 of Prestige Paladin advance both his spellcasting class abilities to be the equivalent of Ranger 5/Cleric 4?
    b. If not, does the character advancing in Prestige Paladin choose which existing spellcasting class ability at each spellcasting advance (L1, L3, L5, etc.)?

22. - Top - End - #322
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 115 a. No.

The Prestige Paladin grants at each odd level "+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class", not "+1 level of all existing divine spellcasting classes".

A 115 b. Yes.

As the benefit is to the spellcasting relative to a singular class, you can choose which class when there are multiple options.

23. - Top - End - #323

Lizardfolk

Q 116

How do prestige classes with the "+1 level of existing arcane/Divine spellcasting class" and the "+1 Level of Existing Class Features" interact with prestige classes with their own fixed spellcasting progression like the Suel Arcanamach, Ur-Priest etc.

I'm specifically wondering, what happens if I've advanced my Suel Arcanamach casting to 10th level, how would my spellcasting be affected by taking levels in prestige classes with either of the above features?

24. - Top - End - #324
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Q 117

Was wondering if anyone knew of any items that give boosts to tumble checks along with what books they are in and their price.

25. - Top - End - #325
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Essence_of_War View Post
    I'm specifically wondering, what happens if I've advanced my Suel Arcanamach casting to 10th level, how would my spellcasting be affected by taking levels in prestige classes with either of the above features?
    A116

You can use the PrC to keep going (or even just add more Suel levels), following the Suel's existing mathematical progression, provided your character level is ready for epic (i.e. 20+.)

The rules quote is in Epic Basics:

A ten-level prestige class can progress beyond 10th level, but only if the character level is already 20th or higher.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

26. - Top - End - #326
    Troll in the Playground

A 115 Addendum

Also, it's implied here that the Prestigious character classes are meant to be used (or not used) as a group, so the default would be that a game which includes the Prestige Paladin also includes the Prestige Bard and, more to the point, the Prestige Ranger, so your Ranger casting would presumably be from the same divine casting class as the one used for your Paladin levels...actually, now I have a question:

Q 118

If I use the Prestige Paladin to advance my Cleric (or Druid, providing I somehow still met the PrC requirements) casting, does the Battle Blessing feat from Complete Champion change the casting time of all such spells to a Swift Action?

Beguiler, you just got served.
    ALL hail DirtyTabs, creator of this wonderful UserClone TRONpony!
    *sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"

27. - Top - End - #327
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 118 No.

The Prestige Paladin has no spells at all; it merely advances other spellcasting. As Battle Blessing only applies to actual Paladin spells, it would provide no benefit.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Dwarf in the Playground

Q 119

All the PhB classes use one stat for spellcasting. Archivists, though, use Intelligence for almost everything, with Wisdom only for bonus spells per day. Do they still need, as an example, 11 Wisdom to cast first level spells, 12 for second, and so on, or is it only Intelligence that matters here, as with Wizards and the like? They already have one more spell a level so bonus spells aren't a concern, but if they need two stats at 19 eventually...

29. - Top - End - #329
    Ogre in the Playground

A 119:
    To learn, prepare, or cast a spell, an archivist must have an Intelligence score equal to at least 10 + the spell level.
    The requirement is solely for a minimum Intelligence, not a minimum Wisdom.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 114 No.

This doesn't work, likely for two reasons:
    • The Rend special attack is specific to the Feral creature's hind legs, with the normal claw damage for that size Feral creature. I don't know of any claw soulmelds that have Chakra Bind (Feet).
    • Rend and other items listed under Special Attacks for the Feral template are granted only for monster hit dice, not hit dice from class levels. Only the Feral Special Qualities are granted for all hit dice.
    Methinks you confuse Rend with Rake. Rake is the attack associated with hind legs, generally seen on creatures with Improved Grab who pounce, hold, and shred their foes with all 4 limbs, like large cats. Rend is something that happens when a creature with a pair of claws hits with both, and then tears the flesh apart creating a greater wound than each individual claw would inflict on its own. Trolls, Dire Apes, Grey RENDERS, and Girallon are the most commonly associated creatures with Rend.

Also, Lamia Belt explicitly gives claws on the feet when bound to the Totem. Just for your information.

Even if his class levels wouldn't give him Rend from Feral, if he had Rend from some source, he could Rend with any pair of claw attacks, regardless of source. Rend doesn't discriminate, its simply states that if you hit a foe with 2 or more claw attacks. Looking at the Girallon entry, the only creature I can think of with both Rend and more than 2 claws, we see:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD, Girallon
    Rend (Ex)
    A girallon that hits with two or more claw attacks latches onto the opponent’s body and tears the flesh. This attack automatically deals an extra 2d4+9 points of damage.
    Furthermore, we have from MoI, the Girallon Arms soulmeld bound to the Arms chakra which produces thus:
    Quote Originally Posted by MoI, pg 68
    If you hit a single target with at least two claw attacks, whether these attacks come from your Girallon Arms, a different soulmeld, your own innate abilities, or some other source, you can latch onto the opponent's body and tear the flesh. This attack automatically deals double claw damage, including double your Str bonus.
    This is precedent that a creature is only subject to being Rended (Rent?) once per round per creature. If the Rending creature hits 2 foes with two claws each, it would qualify for Rend on each of them. Also, Rend makes no differentiation between clawed hands and clawed feet, as can be seen in the soulmeld. Any natural weapon classified as a claw attack could trigger Rend on a creature with the special ability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!