New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 51 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Simple Q&A D&D 3.5 (by RAW) XVIII

Q 87
    Where can I find an official list of body slots for magic items?

I found the "affinities" list at the back of the DMG, but I know some of those overlap
    (Sig by Elrond, Avatar by Recaiden)
    Check out my custom feat: Double Shield Wielder
    This actually happened in a game:
    Spoiler
    Show

DM:"The pope hits you with his rod of persuasion. Make a save."
    PLAYER: "Against what?"
    DM: "Catholicism!"

2. - Top - End - #242

Quote Originally Posted by Claudius Maximus View Post
    Q 86

Besides the Amulet of Mighty Fists and the Necklace of Natural Attacks (or whatever the Savage Species one is called), what items exist to enchant one's unarmed strikes? In particular, are there any out there that allow one to put special enhancements like Flaming on unarmed attacks, much like a Kensai does?
    Not RAW: - DDO and NWN use/d Handwraps. That might be worth asking your DM about.
    Last edited by powerdemon; 2011-07-27 at 03:04 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #243
    Surgebinder in the Playground Moderator

A87

Right here.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Saberhagen's Twelve Swords, some homebrew artifacts for 3.5 (please comment)
    Isstinen Tonche for ECL 74 playtesting.
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.
    Arcane Swordsage: Making it actually work (homebrew)

4. - Top - End - #244
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by powerdemon View Post
    Q 87
    Where can I find an official list of body slots for magic items?

I found the "affinities" list at the back of the DMG, but I know some of those overlap
    Head, Eyes, Throat, Shoulders, Body, Torso, Arms, Hands, Finger 1, Finger 2, Waist, Feet.

DMG p.214
    Piratebold-Bard by Elder Tsofu | Backer #121 of the Giantitp Kickstarter | My homebrew
    Quote Originally Posted by OverlordJ View Post
    New law: Obey me or you'll be crushed by a MOUNTAIN.

5. - Top - End - #245

Thank you both!

Q 88
    The Daraco Mystere says:
    Any individual can only receive the tome’s benefits once in a lifetime.
    Does that mean a character that dies, and is brought back to life could benefit from it again? Or one who is Reincarnated?

Q 89
    The SRD says:

Of course, a character may carry or possess as many items of the same type as he wishes. However, additional items beyond those listed above have no effect.
    Can you wear say, 3 rings, and switch between which 2 of the three are active? Or would it just be the first 2 donned give you the bonus and the third does nothing until one of the first two is removed?
    Last edited by powerdemon; 2011-07-27 at 03:11 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 88

The answer depends on what actually happens to a dead creature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raise Dead
    You restore life to a deceased creature.
    Quote Originally Posted by Resurrection
    This spell functions like raise dead, except that you are able to restore life and complete strength to any deceased creature.
    Quote Originally Posted by True Resurrection
    This spell functions like raise dead, except that you can resurrect a creature that has been dead for as long as 10 years per caster level.
    All of the above spells merely restore an existing life, so it's a continuation of a single lifetime.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reincarnate
    A reincarnated creature recalls the majority of its former life and form.
    Reincarnate does create a new life, so that's a possibility.

A 89

There's no mechanism for swapping rings by choice, so it's strictly the first two rings worn. If you want to use another ring, you've got to make it one of the first two, removing any prior-donned rings until it's either #1 or #2.
    Last edited by Curmudgeon; 2011-07-27 at 04:09 PM.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Troll in the Playground

A 88, ninja addendum

Considering that there is no RAW definition of "lifetime," one can only assume the normal perion between one's being born and one dying. Since resurrection and reincarnate do not make you literally be born and grow up, they don't count.

A 89, ninja agreement

The latter is correct. The first ring worn on a given hand is the only active one. Note also that some rings require that you wear them for 24 hours before their effects manifest.
    Last edited by UserClone; 2011-07-27 at 04:14 PM.

Beguiler, you just got served.
    ALL hail DirtyTabs, creator of this wonderful UserClone TRONpony!
    *sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by BRC
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"

8. - Top - End - #248
    Ogre in the Playground

A 89
    Quote Originally Posted by UserClone View Post
    The latter is correct. The first ring worn on a given hand is the only active one. Note also that some rings require that you wear them for 24 hours before their effects manifest.
    Curmudgeon's answer was more correct, as it is possible to wear both your rings on a single hand. This is relevant, as it would affect remove-to-swap strategies.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Troll in the Playground

RE: 89

Right you are, Cog.

*sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Railroading isn't saying "There is a wall there", Railroading is when you say "There is a wall everywhere BUT there"

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

Q90 Sneak attack: Does the class feature Uncanny Dodge mean that the character cannot be sneak attacked when caught flatfooted or struck by an invisible attacker? If so, does having Improved Uncanny Dodge then mean that short of the character being paralyzed or otherwise helpless, it is impossible to sneak attack that character by any means whatsoever unless the attacker has at least 4 more rogue levels than the character?

11. - Top - End - #251

A90

That is not an exhaustive list of ways to get around Uncanny Dodge (feinting and getting a buddy to grapple the target also work, for example), but the most common means of getting sneak attack are indeed useless against (Improved) Uncanny Dodge. Flat-footedness, invisibility, and flanking all fail, and having extra rogue levels only changes that for flanking.
    Last edited by Douglas; 2011-07-27 at 09:26 PM.
    Like 4X (aka Civilization-like) gaming? Know programming? Interested in game development? Take a look.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Team Solars: Powergaming beyond your wildest imagining, without infinite loops or epic. Yes, the DM asked for it.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery Diamond View Post
    Q90 Sneak attack: Does the class feature Uncanny Dodge mean that the character cannot be sneak attacked when caught flatfooted or struck by an invisible attacker? If so, does having Improved Uncanny Dodge then mean that short of the character being paralyzed or otherwise helpless, it is impossible to sneak attack that character by any means whatsoever unless the attacker has at least 4 more rogue levels than the character?
    A90
    Short answer? Yes and yes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rules of the Game Online Article
    The uncanny dodge ability allows a flat-footed creature to retain its Dexterity bonus to Armor Class (if any) and it foils sneak attacks when in[sic] does so.

The uncanny dodge ability also allows a creature to use its Dexterity bonus (if any) against unseen foes, so an unseen foe must find some other way to make sneak attacks against creatures with this ability.

Uncanny dodge does not allow a creature to keep its Dexterity bonus to Armor Class (if any) when it physically cannot move. If you're grappled, held, helpless, incapacitated, pinned, or stunned, you lose your Dexterity bonus to Armor Class. If you're attacked while climbing, you also cannot use your Dexterity bonus to Armor Class. Uncanny dodge doesn't allow you to retain your Dexterity bonus to Armor Class in any of these cases.

The improved uncanny dodge class feature can keep a creature from being flanked, except by a rogue who is four or more levels higher than the target. An attacker with sufficient rogue levels can flank the defender simply by having an ally opposite the defender, if that ally cannot flank the defender himself, provided that the defender can see or perceive your ally (see the section on flanking). In such a case, the ally gets no benefit for being in a flanking position, but the rogue gets full benefits.

When determining who can flank whom, start by counting the target's levels, and count only those levels in classes that provide the uncanny dodge class feature. Then count up the attacker's levels, counting only levels in classes that provide the sneak attack class feature. For example, a 10th-level rogue could not flank a 5th-level barbarian/5th-level rogue but the same character could flank a 5th-level barbarian/5th-level bard. Likewise, a 7th-level rogue/7th-level assassin could flank a 5th-level barbarian/5th-level rogue.

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    A90

That is not an exhaustive list of ways to get around Uncanny Dodge (feinting and getting a buddy to grapple the target also work, for example), but the most common means of getting sneak attack are indeed useless against (Improved) Uncanny Dodge. Flat-footedness, invisibility, and flanking all fail, and having extra rogue levels only changes that for flanking.
    Q91: So the options, then, are restricted to a)inducing helplessness/paralysis, b)successfully feinting, and c)getting an ally to grapple the target. After some searching, I still can't find: how is attacking a character involved in a grapple with another character resolved?

14. - Top - End - #254
    Troll in the Playground

A91:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Grappling Consequences
    While you’re grappling, your ability to attack others and defend yourself is limited.

No Threatened Squares

You don’t threaten any squares while grappling.

No Dexterity Bonus

You lose your Dexterity bonus to AC (if you have one) against opponents you aren’t grappling. (You can still use it against opponents you are grappling.)

No Movement

You can’t move normally while grappling. You may, however, make an opposed grapple check to move while grappling.
    Is there any other, more specific question that we can answer regarding this?
    Last edited by UserClone; 2011-07-27 at 10:08 PM.

*sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

15. - Top - End - #255
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Q92:

If a character chooses the following classes:
    Human Paragon at Character Level 1
    Wizard at Character Level 2
    Cleric at Character Level 3
    Human Paragon at Character Levels 4 and 5

Can he choose the Human Paragon "Spells Per Day" class feature at Character Level 4 for his Wizard spellcasting and at Character Level 5 for his Cleric spellcasting?

Here's a link to the Human Paragon entry for quick reference.

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Human_p...Spells_per_Day

16. - Top - End - #256
    Troll in the Playground

A92:

Yes.

The example character would have a the spellcasting abilities of a 2nd level Cleric and a 2nd level Wizard. Human Paragon states that the choice is made for each level, not once for all levels.

*sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #257
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Thanks for the quick answer! This really is an amazing and original thread.

18. - Top - End - #258
    Troll in the Playground

The pleasure is mine, I'm sure.

Welcome to the playground! Please note though, that this thread is only for questions and answers (and not thanks), though I've done the same thing once or twice myself.

And yes, this thread is awesome, though seeing as it is the eighteenth iteration of this thread, it's hardly original.

*sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #259
    Titan in the Playground

Reposting, since my question was never addressed:

Q 93:

In BoED, ravages and afflictions deal additional damage based on the victim's Charisma modifier, so a high-CHA victim is worse off than a low-CHA victim. Are there any other effects which deal additional damage (or have harder save DCs, stronger effects, or whatever) based on the victim having high stats instead of low stats? If so, what?
    In the Beginning Was the Word, and the Word Was Suck: A Guide to Truenamers

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Roc View Post
    Gentlefolk, learn from Zaq's example, and his suffering. Remember, seven out of eleven players who use truenamer lose their ability to taste ice cream.
    My compiled Iron Chef stuff!

~ Gay all day, queer all year ~

20. - Top - End - #260

A93, very partial: Probably not what you're looking for but with the right spells, a Shadowcraft Mage can deal more damage to creatures with high Will saves than those without.

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 94 Do the Steadfast Boots, found in the MiC, count you as readied against a charge in all circumstances? I.E. Even if you have used your AoO for the round *and* attacked with your standard action, do you still have this constantly readied action?

Quote Originally Posted by Divide by Zero View Post
    Hulking Hurler can get something like (10^83)d6 damage, which is many orders of magnitude greater than the number of particles in the universe.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Current characters: None, looking for a game.

Homebrew!

Wow, it's been a while. Sorry for the unexplained absence!

22. - Top - End - #262

Lizardfolk

Q 95

Does essentia gained from multiple classes stack into one pool like power points? Or are they more like spell slots where slots from one class can't be used for another class?

Specifically, I'm interested in something like Incarnate 2/ Totemist X to pick up access to few Incarnate only soulmelds that look useful, and I was hoping that the 2 pts of essentia from the Incarnate would play nicely with my totemist soulmelds/essentia pool.

Edit: Sorry, I checked quickly but I guess I missed it

23. - Top - End - #263

A95

Was already addressed a few pages back.

Quote Originally Posted by Zaq View Post
    Yes. You have only one essentia pool. Certain class features that let you increase your essentia CAP are not transparent, but essentia itself is like PP, in that it doesn't care where you get it.

Source: MoI p. 20.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fiery Diamond View Post
    Q91: So the options, then, are restricted to a)inducing helplessness/paralysis, b)successfully feinting, and c)getting an ally to grapple the target. After some searching, I still can't find: how is attacking a character involved in a grapple with another character resolved?
    A 91 additional info

If you attack a creature who is climbing, they lose Dex to AC and those can be sneak attacked.

If you attack a creature that is making Balance checks, and that creature has less than 5 ranks in Balance, the creature is flat-footed. While that doesn't help in this instance (since uncanny dodge keeps the creature safe), I thought it was worthwhile to add it.

I'm thinking there's another way, but I'm drawing a blank on it...
    John Ling
    Frog God Games Lead Pathfinder Developer

Note: unless explicitly stated otherwise, opinions in my posts are my own and not those of Frog God Games.

25. - Top - End - #265
    Titan in the Playground

A 94
    Yes. You are ALWAYS readied against a charge. Even if you are flat footed (Different from taking an AoO), even if you have already taken actions in a round, even if you've already exhausted all of your AoOs (since Steadfast Boots don't deal with AoOs at all), and even if you've already beat someone up with your Steadfast Boots in a round. Since they didn't write any restrictions into the item, it can be assumed that they are always active and you are always readied. If, in theory, you were able to be charged by a hundred foes in a single round, you'd get 100 readied attacks.

A 91 additional info
    I'm thinking there's another way, but I'm drawing a blank on it...
    A few effects also cause it. Clarion Commander from ToB, Saphire Nightmare Blade again from ToB, one of the Tiger Claw jump manuevers (Death from Above?) as well. The Distracting ACF for Rangers in the PHBII can also induce a state that would override Improved Uncanny Dodge, I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fax Celestis View Post
    AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY! AILHAY THULUCAY!

26. - Top - End - #266
    Ogre in the Playground

Q 94 additional information And would all of those deal double damage?

Quote Originally Posted by Divide by Zero View Post
    Hulking Hurler can get something like (10^83)d6 damage, which is many orders of magnitude greater than the number of particles in the universe.
    Characters:
    Spoiler
    Show

Current characters: None, looking for a game.

Homebrew!

Wow, it's been a while. Sorry for the unexplained absence!

27. - Top - End - #267
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A 94 addendum

You are readied against a charge if you carry a two-handed weapon. That is a restriction to the use of Steadfast Boots.

A 91 additional info

Improved uncanny dodge normally makes you immune to sneak attack, unless your attacker has 4+ more Rogue levels than you. The Lightbringer Rogue Penetrating Strike ACF in Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (and, with some DM persuasion, the non-Lightbringer Penetrating Strike ACF in Dungeonscape) allows dealing (reduced) sneak attack damage to those normally immune, when you flank them. So the ACF plus flanking is another workaround, though with only ½ the normal sneak attack dice.

28. - Top - End - #268

Quote Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
    A 91 additional info

Improved uncanny dodge normally makes you immune to sneak attack, unless your attacker has 4+ more Rogue levels than you. The Lightbringer Rogue Penetrating Strike ACF in Expedition to Castle Ravenloft (and, with some DM persuasion, the non-Lightbringer Penetrating Strike ACF in Dungeonscape) allows dealing (reduced) sneak attack damage to those normally immune, when you flank them. So the ACF plus flanking is another workaround, though with only ½ the normal sneak attack dice.
    Improved Uncanny Dodge does not grant immunity to sneak attack, it grants immunity to flanking. Penetrating Strike does nothing about flank immunity, so it doesn't help.

Archives:
    Spoiler
    Show

29. - Top - End - #269
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
    The Distracting ACF for Rangers in the PHBII can also induce a state that would override Improved Uncanny Dodge, I think.
    Quote Originally Posted by douglas View Post
    Improved Uncanny Dodge does not grant immunity to sneak attack, it grants immunity to flanking. Penetrating Strike does nothing about flank immunity, so it doesn't help.

Also, the Ranger's Distracting Attack ACF would only override IUD if the Ranger also had at least four more rogue levels than the victim, as far as I can see...

*sigh*
    X Stat to Y Bonus
    Quotes:
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

Q95
    In pathfinder is there anyway to make a scimitar on a finessable weapon replace Strength with dexterity to damage?