New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Do you know you've been impregnated?

When a creature such as a Red Slaad or a Xill injects an egg into a PC and the PC fails the save, does the PC know that they've been impregnated? Would a Heal check identify the attack similar to knowing if a person was diseased?
    Visit my Downloads section for my D&D 3.5 resources (DM screen, PC & NPC sheets, Reference sheets, etc, etc)

I will buy your unwanted D&D minis collection (DDM & PF Battles only). Email me your asking price!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Do you know you've been impregnated?

Quote Originally Posted by Oryan77 View Post
    When a creature such as a Red Slaad or a Xill injects an egg into a PC and the PC fails the save, does the PC know that they've been impregnated? Would a Heal check identify the attack similar to knowing if a person was diseased?
    How fast is the gestation? I'd calculate the time of gestation as compared to human, and then apply the time of typical onset of symptoms (such as morning sickness, loss of period, etc.) to be proportional, and go from there.

Assuming the PC in question is human, of course.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2015-05-15 at 04:18 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #3
    Colossus in the Playground

Slaad eggs, at least, are treated as disease, so should be detectable as such.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

I'd say that the person wouldn't know right away. A Heal or Knowledge: Planes check made on the wound before it heals should give some sort of clue about its nature (that something was implanted).

While there's no information about how big Xill hatchlings are or how many there are in the eggs, I would assume they grow large enough that the victim would bulge significantly as the creatures grow. This would also put pressure on various internal organs, causing pain and compromising their functionality in various unpleasant ways. The eggs may or may not extract nutrition from the host while hatching, which would lead to fatigue and abnormal appetite. Closer to the end of the gestation period, there should be no doubt that something is horribly wrong.

I'm assuming Slaadi work similarly. I don't have the MM in front of me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

If we go by Aliens logic then you probably would know. I mean a thing is growing in you, that would feel weird.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    I mean a thing is growing in you, that would feel weird.
    You'd think so. I recently just read an article about a woman giving birth on a plane or something and she had no idea she was pregnant. I've heard of stories like that before too. I'm a guy, but still, I don't know how a woman wouldn't realize she's 9 months pregnant with an 8lb baby moving around inside of her belly. My wife complained all the time about my sons kicking around. What do these women think is going on when they see their belly moving because the kids pushing with it's foot?
    Visit my Downloads section for my D&D 3.5 resources (DM screen, PC & NPC sheets, Reference sheets, etc, etc)

I will buy your unwanted D&D minis collection (DDM & PF Battles only). Email me your asking price!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

You'd think so. I recently just read an article about a woman giving birth on a plane or something and she had no idea she was pregnant. I've heard of stories like that before too. I'm a guy, but still, I don't know how a woman wouldn't realize she's 9 months pregnant with an 8lb baby moving around inside of her belly. My wife complained all the time about my sons kicking around. What do these women think is going on when they see their belly moving because the kids pushing with it's foot?
    Well..................

Spoiler: Spoilered for size
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

You'd feel something, to be sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Hall View Post
    There's a reason why we bap your nose, not crucify you, for thread necromancy.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

My understanding is that while you would know that something was done to you, you would not know the specifics without a medical exam of some sort.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

10. - Top - End - #10
    Bugbear in the Playground

An aunt of mine gave birth without knowing before hand. She's a little mentally unstable, obese, and had serious digestive issues that had similar symptoms. So... nothing good.

I suppose it should be harder to identify a Xill or Slaad infection in someone who was already ill but I don't think there are rules for diseases hiding behind other diseases.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Hrugner View Post
    An aunt of mine gave birth without knowing before hand. She's a little mentally unstable, obese, and had serious digestive issues that had similar symptoms. So... nothing good.

I suppose it should be harder to identify a Xill or Slaad infection in someone who was already ill but I don't think there are rules for diseases hiding behind other diseases.
    I was just about to mention this type of possibility... but you got it first.

The reason for the post is to say that I hope everything worked out well, healthy baby, few complications, etc. I wish them the best.

Now on to the topic at hand. There is a 3rd party source book with a spell for just such a thing. Yes... you guessed it, the BoEF. The spell is Detect Pregnancy. It specifically mentions that it detects implants.
    Last edited by nyjastul69; 2015-05-15 at 06:54 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by nyjastul69 View Post
    I was just about to mention this type of possibility... but you got it first.

The reason for the post is to say that I hope everything worked out well, healthy baby, few complications, etc. I wish them the best.

Now on to the topic at hand. There is a 3rd party source book with a spell for just such a thing. Yes... you guessed it, the BoEF. The spell is Detect Pregnancy. It specifically mentions that it detects implants.
    Yep, healthy, happy, and in the hands of close relatives.

I imagine deathwatch should let you know that you are inhabited by something with very few hitpoints. A new healthy egg is certainly still fragile.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Hrugner View Post
    Yep, healthy, happy, and in the hands of close relatives.
    Cool! Very glad to hear that. A positive result to a very negative potential. =)
    Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.- Benjamin Franklin

I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. -Evelyn Beatrice Hall

14. - Top - End - #14
    Banned

I wouldn't call what the OP described as 'impregnated' really being impregnated, though. More like being used as a host. You would probably be more likely to feel something alien like that growing inside you than if you were actually pregnant. Especially if the implanting happened violently.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

I'm pretty sure that the obviousness of an implantation depends a lot on what part of the implanting creature the eggs come out of.
    Revan avatar by kaptainkrutch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cirrylius View Post
    That's how wizards beta test their new animals. If it survives Australia, it's a go. Which in hindsight explains a LOT about Australia.