Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Results 151 to 180 of 190
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Orc in the Playground
     
    moritheil's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2011

    wink Re: Urpriest's Monstrous Monster Handbook

    This is comprehensive, and I applaud it. My only concern is that the reason inexperienced DMs and players do not understand nuanced rules is usually that they cannot be bothered to read.

    I hope this will encourage some to actually learn the rules.

    EDIT: Also, you may want to note for DMs that increasing the size on a monster can be a huge deal. I allowed a player to play a babau, years ago, and stuck what I felt was an appropriate LA on it. It turns out that with the mere addition of 1 HD, the babau jumps a size category and becomes a hell of a lot more competent in melee.

    The flip side of this is, as a DM, I now frequently look into advancing monsters to the next size category rather than adding class levels to them. It's more CR-efficient.
    Last edited by moritheil; 2012-06-16 at 01:58 AM.
    The Refounding OOC IC
    Here be Dragons

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    "Cold is better for cooking food than heat!"=wrong. As simple as that.
    Quote Originally Posted by moritheil View Post
    But we even have real world examples of cold cooking, so is it so unreasonable to say that in a fantasy world that could be the norm and that cold COULD be better than heat for cooking?

    You can produce several million pounds of Tarrasque steak every day! (Better hope he's edible.)

  2. - Top - End - #152
    Banned
     
    willpell's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Urpriest's Monstrous Monster Handbook

    Quote Originally Posted by moritheil View Post
    This is comprehensive, and I applaud it. My only concern is that the reason inexperienced DMs and players do not understand nuanced rules is usually that they cannot be bothered to read. I hope this will encourage some to actually learn the rules.
    That's not entirely fair given how poorly organized and sloppily written Wotco's rules material often was. I spent a long time reading the monster entries in the Monster Manual and never once guessing that absolutely necessary information on how some monster abilities work was tucked away in the Glossary, which I had never read, and not referenced in the section of every monster entry which said how the ability in question worked.

    The flip side of this is, as a DM, I now frequently look into advancing monsters to the next size category rather than adding class levels to them. It's more CR-efficient.
    There are certain disadvantages to being larger, though, especially in a claustrophobic environment such as many dungeons.

  3. - Top - End - #153
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    Mithril Leaf's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Urpriest's Monstrous Monster Handbook

    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    There are certain disadvantages to being larger, though, especially in a claustrophobic environment such as many dungeons.
    On the other hand, large advanced fleshrakers make me shudder. A lot.
    If you see me talking about Shaper Psions, assume that anything not poison immune within 100 feet will be dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    I was going to PM you about it because I wanted to know, but then you posted it later. Elegant solution. Watch out for Necropolitans.
    My Homebrew Signature such as it is.

  4. - Top - End - #154
    Orc in the Playground
     
    moritheil's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2011

    Default Re: Urpriest's Monstrous Monster Handbook

    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    That's not entirely fair given how poorly organized and sloppily written Wotco's rules material often was. I spent a long time reading the monster entries in the Monster Manual and never once guessing that absolutely necessary information on how some monster abilities work was tucked away in the Glossary, which I had never read, and not referenced in the section of every monster entry which said how the ability in question worked.
    For the people I had in mind when making that statement, it's entirely fair. (Link to SRD to read about the basic ideas of classes . . . response is that they don't want to read, and want me to sit there for 3 hours and answer basic questions.) I agree that the rules are often not well-written or well-edited, though. There are examples of the actual writers admitting that edits entirely changed or removed crucial sections of their text. (Greenbound summoning comes to mind.)

    There are certain disadvantages to being larger, though, especially in a claustrophobic environment such as many dungeons.
    Yes, and I did use this against said babau eventually when the party went after a kobold tribe. The player was not amused.
    The Refounding OOC IC
    Here be Dragons

    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    "Cold is better for cooking food than heat!"=wrong. As simple as that.
    Quote Originally Posted by moritheil View Post
    But we even have real world examples of cold cooking, so is it so unreasonable to say that in a fantasy world that could be the norm and that cold COULD be better than heat for cooking?

    You can produce several million pounds of Tarrasque steak every day! (Better hope he's edible.)

  5. - Top - End - #155
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    In Christ Jesus
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Urpriest's Monstrous Monster Handbook

    Polymorph, Wild Shape, and Shapechange. Oh My!

    A handy chart to tell you what keeps what.

    Will you port this to MinMaxBoards as well? It'll be safe and remembered there!
    Last edited by Endarire; 2012-06-16 at 02:59 AM.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver & Stance Overhaul. Includes Falling Star, 2 other disciplines, and all 5 initiator base classes!

    Quote Originally Posted by Emperor Tippy View Post
    If the wizard is played even half competently then you stand not a chance in hell.

    If the wizard is well played then he can kill you by punching you to death. Why? Because he is immune to death. As in you flat out do not have the capability to kill him regardless of what you do.

  6. - Top - End - #156
    Banned
     
    willpell's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Urpriest's Monstrous Monster Handbook

    Quote Originally Posted by moritheil View Post
    Link to SRD to read about the basic ideas of classes . . . response is that they don't want to read, and want me to sit there for 3 hours and answer basic questions.
    I don't see any fault with their logic in that. Reading comprehension is a skill, and not everyone has it. In this day and age it's easy to take the ability to translate words on a page into thoughts in a brain for granted, but it's not automatic; people have different learning styles and some of them are not geared toward this sort of medium-to-medium conversion. It is entirely legitimate for someone to say "I can't learn this on my own, would you please teach me?"; this is the entire reason we have teachers. Some people need things explained for them because they can't break the information down and digest it on their own, just as some people have no teeth and need to buy foods that don't require chewing.

    Yes, and I did use this against said babau eventually when the party went after a kobold tribe. The player was not amused.
    His own danged fault; you were totally within your rights to punish a minmaxer for minmaxing.

  7. - Top - End - #157
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2009

    Default Re: Urpriest's Monstrous Monster Handbook

    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    On Simple Question you appeared to be stating that racial HD offer attribute bonuses normally; I remember you once stating the opposite, either on this thread or somewhere else, using the Centaur as proof. Am I misremembering something or did you discover new information?
    They do. It's just that native HD of a given creature do not impose stat boosts.
    Lets take a look at the centaur:
    Its abilities are listed as:
    Str 18, Dex 14, Con 15, Int 8, Wis 13, Cha 11

    Then, in the racial traits, the following is stated:
    +8 Strength, +4 Dexterity, +4 Constitution, -2 Intelligence, +2 Wisdom.

    The basic centaur uses, as normal for monsters, the standard array (three 10's, and three 11's). Since all racial ability mods are even, it should have 3 even scores and 3 uneven scores. But it also has 4 hd. Normally you would get a +1 to any one ability score.
    But lets see, the centaur indeed has 3 even and 3 uneven scores. Furthermore, if you set the unmodified ability scores at Str 10, Dex 10, Con 11, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 11 you would arrive exactly at the listed scores if you add the racial mods. Either way there is no room for an ability score boost.

    If you advance the centaur's HD or add class levels it would gain an ability boost every HD that is divisible by 4 (8, 12, 16 and so on).
    I think this issue was covered in an discussion between Urpriest and Fax on the first page of this thread.

  8. - Top - End - #158
    Banned
     
    willpell's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Urpriest's Monstrous Monster Handbook

    So, for example, if I start a campaign as a just-hatched White Dragon Wyrmling (3 dragon HD and a +2 LA), and then gain 5000 XP so I can advance to ECL 6, and I choose to take a fourth dragon HD, do I get an attribute bonus? Or do I have to wait until I've gained four dragon HD beyond the 3d6 that the WDW starts with? What about a Brass wyrmling that starts with 4 dragon HD the moment it hatches?

    Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode View Post
    I think this issue was covered in an discussion between Urpriest and Fax on the first page of this thread.
    I read slowly and am terribly distraction-prone. I'd rather get an answer right now than go looking for where it might have already been given.

  9. - Top - End - #159
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2009

    Default Re: Urpriest's Monstrous Monster Handbook

    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    So, for example, if I start a campaign as a just-hatched White Dragon Wyrmling (3 dragon HD and a +2 LA), and then gain 5000 XP so I can advance to ECL 6, and I choose to take a fourth dragon HD, do I get an attribute bonus? Or do I have to wait until I've gained four dragon HD beyond the 3d6 that the WDW starts with? What about a Brass wyrmling that starts with 4 dragon HD the moment it hatches?
    The white Wyrmling would receive a stat boost when he gains for whatever reason at least 1 hd (ie. advancing by character class), since he now has a number of HD divisible by 4.

    For the brass wyrmling would get reverse-engineered racial ability mods (by subtracting 11 from uneven scores and 10 from even scores of the monster entry). He would get his first stat boost when he reaches 8 hd (due to advancement, class levels or templates).

    I read slowly and am terribly distraction-prone. I'd rather get an answer right now than go looking for where it might have already been given.
    Well, I think I just gave this answer with the analysis of the centaur

  10. - Top - End - #160
    Banned
     
    willpell's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Urpriest's Monstrous Monster Handbook

    Sucks to be a brass dragon, I guess.....

  11. - Top - End - #161
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Urpriest's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Stony Brook
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Urpriest's Monstrous Monster Handbook

    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    So, for example, if I start a campaign as a just-hatched White Dragon Wyrmling (3 dragon HD and a +2 LA), and then gain 5000 XP so I can advance to ECL 6, and I choose to take a fourth dragon HD, do I get an attribute bonus? Or do I have to wait until I've gained four dragon HD beyond the 3d6 that the WDW starts with? What about a Brass wyrmling that starts with 4 dragon HD the moment it hatches?
    Dragons are an especially weird example, because they can advance in hit dice after character creation, which IIRC nothing else reasonably playable can do. It's buried in the example in Draconomicon, but for Dragons gaining HD after character creation you actually do pick up ability increases every multiple of four HD. Zombimonde's explanation is good as far as everything else goes, since with other monsters you've only got the stats at one particular place in HD advancement, so that's where ability bonuses are calculated.

    Quote Originally Posted by Endarire View Post
    Polymorph, Wild Shape, and Shapechange. Oh My!

    A handy chart to tell you what keeps what.

    Will you port this to MinMaxBoards as well? It'll be safe and remembered there!
    Nice chart, I'm putting a link to it in the shapeshifting section.

    I might port it over there at some point. I don't currently have an account on MinMaxBoards, and I get the impression you guys don't get much new player traffic, but it still might be handy. Honestly the main reason this guide is here is to give me something to link instead of yelling at every new poster here who assumes that you don't have to read glossaries.

    Quote Originally Posted by moritheil View Post
    EDIT: Also, you may want to note for DMs that increasing the size on a monster can be a huge deal. I allowed a player to play a babau, years ago, and stuck what I felt was an appropriate LA on it. It turns out that with the mere addition of 1 HD, the babau jumps a size category and becomes a hell of a lot more competent in melee.

    The flip side of this is, as a DM, I now frequently look into advancing monsters to the next size category rather than adding class levels to them. It's more CR-efficient.
    I actually do point out some of that when I point out that increasing to Large gives an extra +1 to CR, though I admit it's a cursory mention at best. I'm honestly less concerned with advice about power and balance, the monster system isn't terribly consistent about either concern.

    Oh also, to willpell: if you turn this thread into a discussion of educational philosophy or the like, a la the Binder thread, I will find whatever is the worst thing I can do to you allowable under the forum rules, and I will do it. Ok?
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

    Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show


    original Urpriest (by Andraste)

  12. - Top - End - #162
    Banned
     
    willpell's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Urpriest's Monstrous Monster Handbook

    Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    Dragons are an especially weird example, because they can advance in hit dice after character creation, which IIRC nothing else reasonably playable can do.
    I'm not sure what sense you're using "advance" here; AFAIK, every creature with racial hit dice has the option to take a level in its creature type to gain that creature type's hit die, just like advancing a monster, at least up to the maximum advancement listed for that monster (and I don't know if that's even a hard limit). Dragon is one of the only creature types that compares in utility to a character class, and true dragons are the only creatures that automatically advance just by living long enough, without having to earn XP.

    It's buried in the example in Draconomicon, but for Dragons gaining HD after character creation you actually do pick up ability increases every multiple of four HD.
    Okay, cool.

    Oh also, to willpell: if you turn this thread into a discussion of educational philosophy or the like, a la the Binder thread, I will find whatever is the worst thing I can do to you allowable under the forum rules, and I will do it. Ok?
    No worries, this isn't my thread and I'm not going to go that far off the rails in someone else's virtual house (though I may mix the occasional metaphor).

  13. - Top - End - #163
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Urpriest's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Stony Brook
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Urpriest's Monstrous Monster Handbook

    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    I'm not sure what sense you're using "advance" here; AFAIK, every creature with racial hit dice has the option to take a level in its creature type to gain that creature type's hit die, just like advancing a monster, at least up to the maximum advancement listed for that monster (and I don't know if that's even a hard limit). Dragon is one of the only creature types that compares in utility to a character class, and true dragons are the only creatures that automatically advance just by living long enough, without having to earn XP.
    Nope! Except for the true dragons, there are no rules that allow a PC to just pick up racial HD after character creation. For one, LA is related to RHD, both because increases in RHD can grant size increases and because LA is computed based partly on comparisons between the creature at its final pre-class-levels ECL and a PC of that ECL. Allowing increases to HD willy-nilly would require recalculations, and things would get weird.

    As for Dragons automatically gaining HD without spending XP, that depends on whether you're using the Draconomicon rules or not. But without the Draconomicon rules, nobody, including Dragons, can use XP to buy more RHD.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

    Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show


    original Urpriest (by Andraste)

  14. - Top - End - #164
    Banned
     
    willpell's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Urpriest's Monstrous Monster Handbook

    One thing that remains unclear about dragons - do the save DCs of damaging breath weapons follow a consistent pattern? A formula of "10 + half HD + CONMOD" is listed but seems to only apply to metallic dragons' nondamaging breath; for damaging breath it says "see the dragon variety's description", which isn't terribly helpful for figuring out exactly when the increase occurs for a dragon that's leveling up. (Perhaps it clarifies in Draconomicon somewhere; I haven't actually read the book, just referenced one section that seemed relevant, so I might have missed another one that actually was.)

  15. - Top - End - #165
    Banned
     
    willpell's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Urpriest's Monstrous Monster Handbook

    Do you have any idea why the Dire Rat has a +3 Will save when it only has 1 HD and Wisdom of 12? Do dire animals get a free Iron Will or something that isn't actually mentioned in the text? Or is Will a good save for rats because they're stubborn (gotta love phrases like "some animals have different good saves" in a book that's supposed to be full of rules).

  16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Cieyrin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Urpriest's Monstrous Monster Handbook

    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Do you have any idea why the Dire Rat has a +3 Will save when it only has 1 HD and Wisdom of 12? Do dire animals get a free Iron Will or something that isn't actually mentioned in the text? Or is Will a good save for rats because they're stubborn (gotta love phrases like "some animals have different good saves" in a book that's supposed to be full of rules).
    Quote Originally Posted by d20 SRD, Animal Type, Saves
    for instance dire animals have good Fortitude, Reflex, and Will saves.
    I was gonna link you to All Right There in the Manual but thought better of linking TVTropes for the good of the thread.
    Rule of Cool Contributor and Goon

    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

    My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

  17. - Top - End - #167
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Urpriest's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Stony Brook
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Urpriest's Monstrous Monster Handbook

    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    One thing that remains unclear about dragons - do the save DCs of damaging breath weapons follow a consistent pattern? A formula of "10 + half HD + CONMOD" is listed but seems to only apply to metallic dragons' nondamaging breath; for damaging breath it says "see the dragon variety's description", which isn't terribly helpful for figuring out exactly when the increase occurs for a dragon that's leveling up. (Perhaps it clarifies in Draconomicon somewhere; I haven't actually read the book, just referenced one section that seemed relevant, so I might have missed another one that actually was.)
    I haven't calculated it for all of them, but it looks like the Chromatics obey 10+half HD+Con mod as well. If you find a counterexample let me know.

    Cieyrin has answered the Dire Rat question ably. In general, Animals and Humanoids can have nonstandard save progressions.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

    Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show


    original Urpriest (by Andraste)

  18. - Top - End - #168
    Banned
     
    willpell's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Urpriest's Monstrous Monster Handbook

    When a white dragon PC advances from Wyrmling to Very Young at ECL 9, it gains a dragon HD and increases in size from Tiny to Small. The Monster Manual section on white dragons lists the Attributes of Wyrmling and Very Young as being the same except for +2 Strength on the latter. But the section (in the Improving Monsters chapter) about size increases when advancing by HD says that "Tiny -> Small" means +4 Strength and -2 Dex. So if a dragon PC increases in size, does he use the standard HD advancement rule, or should he go by what it says for the dragon variety?

  19. - Top - End - #169
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Cieyrin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Urpriest's Monstrous Monster Handbook

    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    When a white dragon PC advances from Wyrmling to Very Young at ECL 9, it gains a dragon HD and increases in size from Tiny to Small. The Monster Manual section on white dragons lists the Attributes of Wyrmling and Very Young as being the same except for +2 Strength on the latter. But the section (in the Improving Monsters chapter) about size increases when advancing by HD says that "Tiny -> Small" means +4 Strength and -2 Dex. So if a dragon PC increases in size, does he use the standard HD advancement rule, or should he go by what it says for the dragon variety?
    Dragons generally follow their own rules when it comes to advancement and should follow their own rules as opposed to the general size increase table.
    Rule of Cool Contributor and Goon

    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

    My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

  20. - Top - End - #170
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Urpriest's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Stony Brook
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Urpriest's Monstrous Monster Handbook

    Quote Originally Posted by Cieyrin View Post
    Dragons generally follow their own rules when it comes to advancement and should follow their own rules as opposed to the general size increase table.
    Precisely. Note that since Dragon aging differs quite a bit from normal HD advancement (having specific age ranges, gaining many special abilities beyond those that automatically increase with HD, etc), it really should be viewed as a mechanic distinct from the HD advancement of typical monsters. Think of it more like what happens when an animal companion gains HD.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

    Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show


    original Urpriest (by Andraste)

  21. - Top - End - #171
    Banned
     
    willpell's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Urpriest's Monstrous Monster Handbook

    Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    Think of it more like what happens when an animal companion gains HD.
    Wait...I thought animal companions were the ur-example of the standard advancement rules being applied to something PCish (and ultimately part of the reason why you started this thread). How are they different?

  22. - Top - End - #172
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2009

    Default Re: Urpriest's Monstrous Monster Handbook

    Take a look at the Druid's Animal Companion table, for instance.
    Besides HD increases, you see: Natural Armor Adjustment, Str/Dex Adjustment, Bonus Tricks, and Specials. Non of those are part of/conform to standard advancement.

  23. - Top - End - #173
    Banned
     
    willpell's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Urpriest's Monstrous Monster Handbook

    Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode View Post
    Take a look at the Druid's Animal Companion table, for instance.
    Besides HD increases, you see: Natural Armor Adjustment, Str/Dex Adjustment, Bonus Tricks, and Specials. Non of those are part of/conform to standard advancement.
    They're in addition to standard advancement; AFAIK you still get all the effects of the Hit Dice you add. Is that all you meant?
    Last edited by willpell; 2012-08-13 at 02:51 AM.

  24. - Top - End - #174
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Urpriest's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Stony Brook
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Urpriest's Monstrous Monster Handbook

    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    They're in addition to standard advancement; AFAIK you still get all the effects of the Hit Dice you add. Is that all you meant?
    You don't get size increases from bonus animal HD, and they can surpass the HD limits of the creature in question. The purpose of the Druid animal companion's bonus HD is to let you use a smaller companion at higher levels, as opposed to in 3.0 where to be competitive you had to get progressively larger companions until they introduced Legendary animals.
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

    Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show


    original Urpriest (by Andraste)

  25. - Top - End - #175
    Banned
     
    willpell's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Urpriest's Monstrous Monster Handbook

    Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    You don't get size increases from bonus animal HD.
    Where is this stated?

  26. - Top - End - #176
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Urpriest's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Stony Brook
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Urpriest's Monstrous Monster Handbook

    Quote Originally Posted by willpell View Post
    Where is this stated?
    It doesn't need to be. Size increases are a feature of advancement, while the animal companion gains bonus HD. They're different mechanics, with the only similarity being that both give HD and thus give additional skill points and feats (as specified at the end of the animal companion entry).

    The FAQ clarifies this:
    Quote Originally Posted by 3.5 FAQ
    When you add Hit Dice to a druidís (or rangerís) animal
    companion as the masterís level goes up, does the animal
    get any bigger? For instance, when a druid has a wolf
    companion, the wolf starts out with the standard 2 Hit Dice
    and is size Medium. By the time the druid is 3rd level, the
    wolf has 2 bonus Hit Dice. According to the wolf entry in
    the MM, an ďadvancedĒ wolf with 4 Hit Dice would be
    Large. Is the example companion wolf also Large?


    An animal companion doesnít get bigger when it adds extra
    Hit Dice for the masterís levels. The advancement entries for
    creatures, and the rules for advancing monsters, refer to
    unusually powerful specimens that are simply tougher (and
    perhaps bigger) than normal for their kinds.
    As a final consideration, consider why you didn't balk at my statement that the bonus HD aren't limited by the HD limits of advancement. If you're using that entry for determining when size increases happen, what happens when you pass the range given in the entry?
    Lord Raziere herd I like Blasphemy, so Urpriest Exalted as a Malefactor

    Meet My Monstrous Guide to Monsters. Everything you absolutely need to know about Monsters and never thought you needed to ask.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithril Leaf View Post
    One of the unwritten rules of Giantitp is that Urpriest is always right.
    Trophy!
    Spoiler
    Show


    original Urpriest (by Andraste)

  27. - Top - End - #177
    Banned
     
    willpell's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Urpriest's Monstrous Monster Handbook

    Quote Originally Posted by Urpriest View Post
    As a final consideration, consider why you didn't balk at my statement that the bonus HD aren't limited by the HD limits of advancement. If you're using that entry for determining when size increases happen, what happens when you pass the range given in the entry?
    That part didn't bother me because I figured that the listed size ranges for creatures are suggestions for what's usual, rather than mandates of what's possible. Like the environment ranges, or alignment....rare exceptions may occur.

  28. - Top - End - #178
    Dwarf in the Playground
    Join Date
    Nov 2012

    Default Re: Urpriest's Monstrous Monster Handbook

    so, let me see if I did understand correctly:

    a Sarrukh has a Racial HD of 14 and a LA of +8: that means that its EFFECTIVE level is 22, BUT, in this form, its 14HD is his actual starting level.

    a mind Flayer, on the other hand, has a Racial HD of 8 and LA of +7. Again, effective level of 15 but, gameplay-wise, it begins with 8 levels?

    for the same reason a Drow Cleric 1 (LA+2 and no racial hit dice as far as I know) will only have 1 level, its class. right?

  29. - Top - End - #179
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Cieyrin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Wisconsin
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Urpriest's Monstrous Monster Handbook

    Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem View Post
    so, let me see if I did understand correctly:

    a Sarrukh has a Racial HD of 14 and a LA of +8: that means that its EFFECTIVE level is 22, BUT, in this form, its 14HD is his actual starting level.

    a mind Flayer, on the other hand, has a Racial HD of 8 and LA of +7. Again, effective level of 15 but, gameplay-wise, it begins with 8 levels?

    for the same reason a Drow Cleric 1 (LA+2 and no racial hit dice as far as I know) will only have 1 level, its class. right?
    Correct, the ECL is only of use for how much experience till your next level and what your Wealth by Level should be, otherwise you use the sum of RHD and class levels to determine anything else.
    Rule of Cool Contributor and Goon

    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

    Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

    My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

  30. - Top - End - #180
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Aug 2009

    Default Re: Urpriest's Monstrous Monster Handbook

    MM4 come with a new style of stat block (and it's continued in Magic of Incarnum). Now, thats hardly the first time a new stat block style was introduced and also not the last time.

    But the MM4 stat block seems to invent a new way of classifying special abilities. Normally a creatures abilities are either Special Attacks or Special Qualities (correct me if I'm wrong). This is an important distinction for effects like Alternate Form and its spell derivatives.

    On the MM4 stat block, no "Special Attacks" line is found. Instead, we see "Attack Options" and "Special Actions". Is this only an aesthetic distinction and everything written under those two make up the creatures Special Attacks?


    At any rate, its confusing to see new terminology that doesn't really fit into the established monster rules.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •