New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: What if Real Life worked by RAW?

Quote Originally Posted by Laura Eternata View Post
    That's brilliant. Mind if I sig that?
    My apologies for not responding sooner, and go ahead! I am glad that people got a kick out of it.

@NineThePuma: I think LA would be full of musicians and actors, which would then trade out RHD for bard levels for perform. I think the first Locate City Bomb is going to target San Francisco before all of the pagans and hippies get druid levels. Portland and Seattle (no offense) might also get the magical stink eye if too many people show up with bears...

Then again, I could see people from Seattle using the Locate City Bomb to take out any city that sends over priests to Washington because it would be the perfect place for vampires. I'm betting you people are sick of that.

Through the trick is to find breeding grounds for people who can trade out RHD for wizard levels (well, effectively that is) and find a way to thwart them.

Would people's um...Special gardens turn into pipeweed, I wonder?

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ogre in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Would we actually have any commoners or guardsmen? Everyone would be a PC.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

I would assume that some people would be as not everyone might have the skills to get a PC class. I thought that was the reason PCs are better then everyone else in the game world: They often represent the cream of the crop.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

1. Commoner railgun
    2. Break the speed of light
    3. ?????
    4. Explore universe

5. - Top - End - #65
    Firbolg in the Playground

Most ordinary people get NPC levels. That's why NPC classes exist. It's the above-average people who typically go out and become PCs. Even plenty of above-average people stick around with NPC levels. That's why a world with hundreds of epic characters is kind of silly (especially pure melee classes). When's the last time you took a sword and tried fighting a wolf? Good luck. It's hard to even make it to fighter level 5, forget epic.

6. - Top - End - #66

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    Most ordinary people get NPC levels. That's why NPC classes exist. It's the above-average people who typically go out and become PCs. Even plenty of above-average people stick around with NPC levels. That's why a world with hundreds of epic characters is kind of silly (especially pure melee classes). When's the last time you took a sword and tried fighting a wolf? Good luck. It's hard to even make it to fighter level 5, forget epic.
    But the thread deals with the situation wherein the world works by RAW, where even if you're a commoner or an expert you can fight weak creatures to earn exp and work yourself up to the wolf. You can also become smarter by fighting. Need to write a thesis on black hole theories? Just kill a few bears, level up and put some ranks in knowledge (astrophysics).

Also, let's not forget we have guns in our world, making leveling up much, much easier because you can oneshot most CR appropriate encounters.

7. - Top - End - #67

Quote Originally Posted by Kaeso View Post
    But the thread deals with the situation wherein the world works by RAW, where even if you're a commoner or an expert you can fight weak creatures to earn exp and work yourself up to the wolf. You can also become smarter by fighting. Need to write a thesis on black hole theories? Just kill a few bears, level up and put some ranks in knowledge (astrophysics).

Also, let's not forget we have guns in our world, making leveling up much, much easier because you can oneshot most CR appropriate encounters.
    I thought there were firearms in one of the books. Maybe that was a homebrew thing the DM put together for a pirate-themed adventure. They blew up on a nat 1. So I played a sorcerer/stormcaster instead of dealing with such things.

Well, if you really want to kill squirrels and puppies to level up, go for it. Good luck with ever taking levels in paladin.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

Why would most people want to take levels in Paladin anyway?

('though I see the point if it were Druids instead.)
    Quote Originally Posted by kardar233 View Post
    GitP: The only place where D&D and Cantorian Set Theory combine. Also a place of madness, and small fairy cakes.

9. - Top - End - #69

Quote Originally Posted by NNescio View Post
    Why would most people want to take levels in Paladin anyway?

('though I see the point if it were Druids instead.)
    Druid too. I was just thinking that killing small, furry animals might count as evil.

To take levels in druid you'd probably end up protecting the local squirrel population from the local gamer population.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

Paladins would probably be protecting the gamer population from the squirrel population if there are a lot of druids around.

And if there are a lot of people trying to level with guns, it might be hard to find wildlife after a while. Through I wonder how much EXP I've gotten from fishing...

11. - Top - End - #71

You can get also decent XP just from nonlethal combat. That's why sparring exists. I don't see any reason to kill small animals. Start with sparring and independent training, and then go for things like bears. But guns are cheating. (Do they even exist by RAW?)
    (I personally consider ranged weapons in general to be cheap, but that's just me.)

12. - Top - End - #72

SwashbucklerGuy

You can get also decent XP just from nonlethal combat. That's why sparring exists. I don't see any reason to kill small animals. Start with sparring and independent training, and then go for things like bears. But guns are cheating. (Do they even exist by RAW?)
    (I personally consider ranged weapons in general to be cheap, but that's just me.)
    Guns can be found in the DMG, under the Campaign section for "alternate weapons" (or somesuch).
    Proud owner of: 0.36 0.43 0.99 2.00 Internet(s), 2 Win(s), and 3000 Brownie Point(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    *Proceeds to google "Bride of the Portable Hole", jokingly wondering if it might exist*

*It does.*

What.

13. - Top - End - #73

I knew I had seen guns somewhere. Thanks.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ksheep View Post
    Guns can be found in the DMG, under the Campaign section for "alternate weapons" (or somesuch).
    Under "Renaissance weapons" or somesuch, IIRC.

'Nonlethal' sparring with bears. In Siberia. Badass.
    GitP: The only place where D&D and Cantorian Set Theory combine. Also a place of madness, and small fairy cakes.

15. - Top - End - #75

I'd assume I'd be a sorcerer. But since that's a bloodline type deal it may not work. If so I'll take a class level in psion and a-hunting I will go. Grizzly bears give pretty good experience. And since RAW doesn't care if a spell caster levels up using a pointed stick only, I'll use my rifle and kill wolves and bears. That should get me started nicely.

After that I'll use my knowledge and powers to quickly make money. Then form an organization for people with super powers. But really its just to keep an eye on them. Eventually I'll research a way to sort of auto-spy them and blow up their head from any distance if they're being murderers or what have you.

After that comes social change. No more religious wars. If one starts I destroy both sides.

No more racism. If someone makes a comment they get their tongue removed.

I'd get rid of most of the politicians. Start over there. Figure out a way to force people to vote.

Then I'd try to help the poor people with food, clean water, etc.

Then tackle the energy crisis. Figure out a good way to get off petrol.

I probably forgot a few things but that about sums it up.
    Murder is wrong... Unless it levels you up.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by randomhero00 View Post
    Create Food and Create Water traps.

Decanter of Endless Water-powered 'Perpetual' Motion Machines.
    Last edited by NNescio; 2011-07-20 at 04:55 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77

That's assuming that nobody else tried something similar. I'm sure plenty of people would.

I'd just be a druid. You can have your regime. I'll have my mountains and forests.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

I'd assume I'd be a sorcerer. But since that's a bloodline type deal it may not work. If so I'll take a class level in psion and a-hunting I will go. Grizzly bears give pretty good experience. And since RAW doesn't care if a spell caster levels up using a pointed stick only, I'll use my rifle and kill wolves and bears. That should get me started nicely.

After that I'll use my knowledge and powers to quickly make money. Then form an organization for people with super powers. But really its just to keep an eye on them. Eventually I'll research a way to sort of auto-spy them and blow up their head from any distance if they're being murderers or what have you.

After that comes social change. No more religious wars. If one starts I destroy both sides.

No more racism. If someone makes a comment they get their tongue removed.

I'd get rid of most of the politicians. Start over there. Figure out a way to force people to vote.

I probably forgot a few things but that about sums it up.
    So kill all arguing people, mute all insulting people, force people to do stuff, and flowers and sunshine for the rest?

As for me, I'd be a warblade. As soon as I get IHS, I turn into the Avatar. The kind from TLA. What? It's RAW.
    Last edited by Hiro Protagonest; 2011-07-20 at 04:58 PM.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

19. - Top - End - #79

I'll drown the world in quarterstaffs, one tree at a time.

20. - Top - End - #80

AssassinGuy

I thought there were firearms in one of the books. Maybe that was a homebrew thing the DM put together for a pirate-themed adventure. They blew up on a nat 1. So I played a sorcerer/stormcaster instead of dealing with such things.

Well, if you really want to kill squirrels and puppies to level up, go for it. Good luck with ever taking levels in paladin.
    Those firearms were ancient muskets, which were very, very deadly for their day but are outmatched by even todays simplest pistols.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

Everyone seems to love Decanter of Endless Water perpetual motion. The problem is, no one stops to think what adding a near-infinite amount of water will do to our ecosystem.

That's why I support undead-based perpetual motion. Because I care about the environment.

22. - Top - End - #82

Those firearms were ancient muskets, which were very, very deadly for their day but are outmatched by even today's simplest pistols.
    Well, find me a modern pistol in the rules and you can have it. We're talking about a world with RAW.

Quote Originally Posted by Piggy Knowles View Post
    Everyone seems to love Decanter of Endless Water perpetual motion. The problem is, no one stops to think what adding a near-infinite amount of water will do to our ecosystem.

That's why I support undead-based perpetual motion. Because I care about the environment.
    I agree. That's obviously much more eco-friendly.

23. - Top - End - #83

AssassinGuy

Well, find me a modern pistol in the rules and you can have it. We're talking about a world with RAW.
    depends on wether or not you believe DnD and D20modern take place in the same universe.

24. - Top - End - #84

depends on wether or not you believe DnD and D20modern take place in the same universe.
    The Material Plane is infinite and consists of an infinite number of worlds, right?

25. - Top - End - #85

SwashbucklerGuy

In the DMG, under "Building a Different World", it has a section on technology level. It has weapons from several different eras, including a set of oriental style weapons, renaissance firearms (pistol and musket, as well as a bomb (think grenade)), Modern era (automatic pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun, and grenade launcher) and future (laser pistol, antimatter rifle, flamer, and laser rifle).

That said… I'd get me an Antimatter rifle and blow the head off anyone who comes close. 6d8 damage should drop most lower level characters, right?
    Proud owner of: 0.36 0.43 0.99 2.00 Internet(s), 2 Win(s), and 3000 Brownie Point(s)

*Proceeds to google "Bride of the Portable Hole", jokingly wondering if it might exist*

*It does.*

What.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Barbarian in the Playground

Kobold

Truth is, no-one would be able to do anything, because whatever you tried to do, people would say you can't because it's against your alignment.
    Morituri nolumus morit - We who are about to die... don't want to

"BUT, LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPERMAN." - Death, "Reaperman"

27. - Top - End - #87

Quote Originally Posted by Ksheep View Post
    In the DMG, under "Building a Different World", it has a section on technology level. It has weapons from several different eras, including a set of oriental style weapons, renaissance firearms (pistol and musket, as well as a bomb (think grenade)), Modern era (automatic pistol, revolver, rifle, shotgun, and grenade launcher) and future (laser pistol, antimatter rifle, flamer, and laser rifle).

That said… I'd get me an Antimatter rifle and blow the head off anyone who comes close. 6d8 damage should drop most lower level characters, right?
    Oh hey, I didn't see that page. Turning pages is actually a great activity which I apparently usually don't think to do. I think I assume things end after only one page on them.

Well, an Antimatter rifle can fire once per round. You probably get one shot once they're in range before they get close to you (further away and you take distance penalties). What's your BaB and Dex? Do you have Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Antimatter rifle? Do you really want to rely on that single shot if your attack modifier isn't high enough?
    They should have statted a sniper rifle. Range: over a mile. Damage: enough.

Quote Originally Posted by JBento View Post
    Truth is, no-one would be able to do anything, because whatever you tried to do, people would say you can't because it's against your alignment.
    That's up to the DM to adjudicate. That's why I keep asking who the DM is in this situation.
    Last edited by noparlpf; 2011-07-20 at 05:59 PM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

The Material Plane is infinite and consists of an infinite number of worlds, right?
    No. Only the outer planes are infinite.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

29. - Top - End - #89

SwashbucklerGuy

Well, an Antimatter rifle can fire once per round. You probably get one shot once they're in range before they get close to you (further away and you take distance penalties). What's your BaB and Dex? Do you have Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Antimatter rifle? Do you really want to rely on that single shot if your attack modifier isn't high enough?
    They should have statted a sniper rifle. Range: over a mile. Damage: enough.
    Well… If I take Rapid Shot, I can get two shots off per round, and if I have Rapid Reload, I could reload as a free action. Add a Gnomish Crossbow Sight, and I can fire with no penalty for the first 3 range increments, or 360 feet. Even if the enemy was running, it would take at least 3 rounds for them to reach me. And I wouldn't mind taking a penalty for shooting at more than one range increment.

*It does.*

What.

30. - Top - End - #90

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftmongoose View Post
    No. Only the outer planes are infinite.
    The Manual of the Planes says that the Material Plane is infinite. Page 41.