New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: What if Real Life worked by RAW?

Quote Originally Posted by Ksheep View Post
    Well… If I take Rapid Shot, I can get two shots off per round, and if I have Rapid Reload, I could reload as a free action. Add a Gnomish Crossbow Sight, and I can fire with no penalty for the first 3 range increments, or 360 feet. Even if the enemy was running, it would take at least 3 rounds for them to reach me. And I wouldn't mind taking a penalty for shooting at more than one range increment.
    You must be very confident in your Dexterity.
    Now, what if they're an invisible Barbarian with the Run feat and the Quick trait? And one level of Druidic Avenger gives them another +10 to their speed, assuming that having Fast Movement twice but from two different sources stacks.
    Or what if they're a Monk? Those speed bonuses sure are something.
    Last edited by noparlpf; 2011-07-20 at 06:29 PM.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JBento View Post
    Truth is, no-one would be able to do anything, because whatever you tried to do, people would say you can't because it's against your alignment.
    I'm chaotic neutral. :D I can do whatever I want.
    Murder is wrong... Unless it levels you up.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by randomhero00 View Post
    No, you're chaotic evil, you do whatever you want. People who call themselves CN to get away with stuff are CE.
    Avatar of George the Dragon Slayer, from the upcoming Indivisible!
    My Steam profile
    Warriors and Wuxia, Callos_DeTerran's ToB setting

4. - Top - End - #94

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftmongoose View Post
    No, you're chaotic evil, you do whatever you want. People who call themselves CN to get away with stuff are CE.
    *writes* down IP address for the culling.

Just kidding.

But seriously, then who is CN?

If I was evil I think I'd be NE or LE because I have lines I don't cross. Never rape. Never take away free will of the individual. etc.

Sometimes I wish I was evil, life would be a lot more fun. But because it isn't, I'm fairly certain I'm not evil. Just personally strong willed.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Colossus in the Playground

Well… If I take Rapid Shot, I can get two shots off per round, and if I have Rapid Reload, I could reload as a free action. Add a Gnomish Crossbow Sight, and I can fire with no penalty for the first 3 range increments, or 360 feet. Even if the enemy was running, it would take at least 3 rounds for them to reach me. And I wouldn't mind taking a penalty for shooting at more than one range increment.
    Crossbow Sights are something like two months worth of wages for a talented and successful businessman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    1. Describing basically the exact same monster but with twice the RHD.
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanis View Post
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

6. - Top - End - #96

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    Crossbow Sights are something like two months worth of wages for a talented and successful businessman.
    Or, you know, I just loot the corpses of the people I kill with the rifle, use the monies I get from that to improve the rifle so it's easier to kill people with it.
    Proud owner of: 0.36 0.43 0.99 2.00 Internet(s), 2 Win(s), and 3000 Brownie Point(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    *Proceeds to google "Bride of the Portable Hole", jokingly wondering if it might exist*

*It does.*

What.

7. - Top - End - #97

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Kaeso View Post
    Also, let's not forget we have guns in our world, making leveling up much, much easier because you can oneshot most CR appropriate encounters.
    Sure, low-level (meaning lvl. 1-2) encounters but not after that. Remember, guns would also work by RAW. A modern hunting rifle (from DMG) does mere 2d10 damage (crit. X2). You couldn't kill most bears (MM) with a rifle. The only bear you could kill with one shot would be a Medium-sized black bear (CR 2) but only if you rolled 19 or 20 damage. A Large brown bear (CR 4) would need the minimum of 3 shots. If you rolled two times in row the maximum damage and then 11-20 damage. Edit: Unless you scored critical(s).

It wouldn't even matter if you aimed the gun to shoot the creature in the head for instant death, unless the attack takes away their last hit points and the DM lets you describe its death (since it has no mechanical impact at that point and is therefore irrelevant by RAW but flavorful).

Also, if the animal were sleeping, you couldn't "coup de grace" it with one shot, unless you sneaked adjacent to it and shot it there.
    Last edited by Raimun; 2011-07-20 at 06:53 PM.
    Signatures are so 90's.

8. - Top - End - #98

Most people are actually neutral, whatever they may think. You know that phenomenon (I forget what they call it) where people will stand by and watch someone getting beat up but won't step in (either to help the victim or the assailant)? That's a neutral trait (on the good-evil axis). (I could give other examples, but that would take a long time.) Likewise, most people aren't strongly chaotic or lawful, but somewhere in between. Sure, plenty of people do community service or the like, but most of those people aren't devoted enough to actually qualify as good. Maybe neutral good at best.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JBento View Post
    Truth is, no-one would be able to do anything, because whatever you tried to do, people would say you can't because it's against your alignment.
    Just be a true neutral druid. You can justify anything as long as you do it to save your squirrels in some way or another.
    Last edited by Tenno Seremel; 2011-07-20 at 07:12 PM.
    Exception cannot prove the rule. It disproves it.

10. - Top - End - #100

Apparently a lot of you haven't been hunting. Getting off three shots isn't that hard for someone trained. If you're down wind as you should be, the bear probably won't even know where you are. But even if he does, you should be several hundred yards out and up a tree or steep hill. Even if you only get him once, and he gets away, he'll bleed to death, and you can follow the trail.

edit SH*T that makes me a ranger, don't it :( lol
    Last edited by randomhero00; 2011-07-20 at 07:03 PM.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Pixie in the Playground

I'd invest ranks into Craft(Homebrew) and Profession(DM).

12. - Top - End - #102
    Pixie in the Playground

Diplomacy optimized Bard.
    Basically, everyone won'ts to be my slave.

13. - Top - End - #103

Apparently a lot of you haven't been hunting. Getting off three shots isn't that hard for someone trained. If you're down wind as you should be, the bear probably won't even know where you are. But even if he does, you should be several hundred yards out and up a tree or steep hill. Even if you only get him once, and he gets away, he'll bleed to death, and you can follow the trail.

Well, the stereotypical ranger is an ally and protector of nature like the druid. Hence the animal companion. So if you're shooting bears to level up, you're probably not a by-the-books-fluff ranger.

14. - Top - End - #104

Quote Originally Posted by noparlpf View Post
    Well, the stereotypical ranger is an ally and protector of nature like the druid. Hence the animal companion. So if you're shooting bears to level up, you're probably not a by-the-books-fluff ranger.
    I can't recall very clearly, but I could have sworn rangers where big on hunting game.

edit i think youre thinking of druids

ps i never play rangers tho so im not sure
    Last edited by randomhero00; 2011-07-20 at 07:11 PM.

15. - Top - End - #105

Planetar

Hehheh... yes. That's how it works in actual real life but read the thread title.

By RAW the bear wouldn't bleed to death, unless you got it to -1 hp. At that point the bear would cease moving and there wouldn't be a trail of blood to follow.

Edit: I guess you could track a moving bear but by RAW, you wouldn't get bonuses to your survival skill if the bear has lost hit points.
    Last edited by Raimun; 2011-07-20 at 07:15 PM.
    Signatures are so 90's.

16. - Top - End - #106

Or, you know, I just loot the corpses of the people I kill with the rifle, use the monies I get from that to improve the rifle so it's easier to kill people with it.
    And how much money do you imagine the average guy will have? Not much more than you, that's for sure. You'll need to go after actual dangerous targets to gain XP and treasure, which means other guys kitted out as well as you are.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective
    I'm going to be honest, "the Welsh became a Great Power and conquered Germany" is almost exactly the opposite of the explanation I was expecting

17. - Top - End - #107

I can't recall very clearly, but I could have sworn rangers where big on hunting game.

edit i think youre thinking of druids

ps i never play rangers tho so im not sure
    Rangers are described as hunters, but I generally interpret that as hunters of unnatural creatures (standard monsters).
    "An experienced ranger has such a tie to nature that he can actually draw upon natural power to cast divine spells, much as a druid does." (PHB pg. 46)
    I've always thought of them as protectors of nature and hunters of unnatural things or of that which destroys nature, but also as protectors of civilization from nature.
    Different people have different interpretations of what classes are like. (Let's please not turn this thread into another "Immutability of Class Fluff" argument.)

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

And how much money do you imagine the average guy will have? Not much more than you, that's for sure. You'll need to go after actual dangerous targets to gain XP and treasure, which means other guys kitted out as well as you are.
    That, or you need to take ranks in a skill to hack credit and debit cards. I wonder if you can even do that, since normal DnD doesn't have rules for it. Less identity theft, I guess?

19. - Top - End - #109
    Titan in the Playground

Rangers are described as hunters, but I generally interpret that as hunters of unnatural creatures (standard monsters).
    "An experienced ranger has such a tie to nature that he can actually draw upon natural power to cast divine spells, much as a druid does." (PHB pg. 46)
    I've always thought of them as protectors of nature and hunters of unnatural things or of that which destroys nature, but also as protectors of civilization from nature.
    Different people have different interpretations of what classes are like. (Let's please not turn this thread into another "Immutability of Class Fluff" argument.)
    Um...
    Quote Originally Posted by ranger favored enemy list
    animals
    Rangers aren't afraid to hunt. That's the natural order of things.
    My Steam profile

20. - Top - End - #110

Ranger can take Favored Enemy Animal, so he can be as much a hunter of beasts as a hunter of monsters or men.

Edit: Ranger'd
    Last edited by Flickerdart; 2011-07-20 at 07:29 PM.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

21. - Top - End - #111

Go after celebrities. Their wealth is wayyy above standard wealth by level.

22. - Top - End - #112

Go after celebrities. Their wealth is wayyy above standard wealth by level.
    Ok, and they aren't using their wealth to buy protective items and hire bodyguards why?
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

23. - Top - End - #113
    Titan in the Playground

Edit: Ranger'd
    Because rangers are better ninjas than ninjas!
    My Steam profile

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

Instead of [INSERT POLITICAL ISSUE HERE] being on the news, they would instead report the scandal that [POLITICIAN] knows somebody who gasp has Martial Adept class levels.
    "Okay, so I'm going to quick draw and dual wield these one-pound caltrops as improvised weapons..."
    ---
    "Oh, hey, look! Blue Eyes Black Lotus!" "Wait what, do you sacrifice a mana to the... Does it like, summon a... What would that card even do!?" "Oh, it's got a four-energy attack. Completely unviable in actual play, so don't worry about it."

25. - Top - End - #115

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftmongoose View Post
    Um...
    Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by ranger favored enemy list
    animals
    Rangers aren't afraid to hunt. That's the natural order of things.
    Huh. I never noticed that. I guess you're right. That's not how I usually think of them, but I guess there can be all sorts of different types of rangers.

26. - Top - End - #116

Ok, and they aren't using their wealth to buy protective items and hire bodyguards why?
    I doubt most celebrities like the kind I'm thinking of know enough about D&D to realize they can buy magic items to protect themselves. And sure, most of them have bodyguards. But I doubt many bodyguards know enough of D&D rules to realize they can take class levels. They'll just be low-level NPCs. That's not too hard to deal with.

27. - Top - End - #117

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    Instead of [INSERT POLITICAL ISSUE HERE] being on the news, they would instead report the scandal that [POLITICIAN] knows somebody who gasp has Martial Adept class levels.
    Gasp! Surely that means their campaign is funded by Japanese interests!
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective

28. - Top - End - #118
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by OracleofWuffing View Post
    No no, it would be that the politician's a bard with charm person and max ranks in diplomacy. Maybe even *gasp* mass suggestion!
    My Steam profile

29. - Top - End - #119
    Ettin in the Playground

Why not psionics to dominate people? Through politics would be more interesting if they were forced to all use Perform (Singing) or Perform (Dance).

And think of the *ahem* scandals.I have the image of a thri-keen in pink lingerie in my head now.

30. - Top - End - #120

Quote Originally Posted by Honest Tiefling View Post
    And think of the *ahem* scandals.I have the image of a thri-keen in pink lingerie in my head now.
    Nymph's Kiss and Lichloved feats.
    Greater
    \ˈgrā-tər \
    comparative adjective