New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 39 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: ABR Discussion thread XXXV - Rise of the Pervsharks!

What's this Dark Time thing?

I give permission for you to include my characters in it.
    Last edited by Maxios; 2011-12-06 at 12:34 AM.
    Artifical intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerd View Post
    Strike me down and I'll clean the floor faster than you can imagine

2. - Top - End - #332
    Ogre in the Playground

You also have my permission Q.

It's not like I'm using my characters at the moment. >.>

Spoiler
    Show
    <NamelessOne> Calamity, you terrify me, and that's saying something.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Bugbear in the Playground

And my axe!

... I mean permission. You have my permission.

Awards
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #334
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Almighty Salmon View Post
    And my axe!

... I mean permission. You have my permission.
    SWEET! Wasn't expecting that!

Honestly, we haven't heard from you around in a while, I didn't think I was going to get a response if I PM'd you to ask. This is fantastic!

All I have left to ask is Nameless and Kepenguin and I should be all set for the characters I wanted to focus on in this fancomic.
    Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #335
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Green-Shirt Q View Post
    Fantasitc! Yeah, I'll be respectful with everybody's characters.

So far I've got permission to use Lyinginbedmon and The Randomizer (whom I've contacted privately to ask). Anybody else wanna see their character in this potentially awesome project?
    Take the character I named after myself when I was 13. Take him and use him.

*flinches at old art*

There we go.

This can also be taken as a threat to the person below me.
    Last edited by CrimsonAngel; 2011-12-07 at 05:40 PM.
    ____

6. - Top - End - #336
    Troll in the Playground

Alright, so I got all the permission I need, but ABR: Dark Times Become Us isn't going to be made for a little bit because my artist has a lot of other writing projects, art, and homework she needs to do, but a couple months after Christmas she says this'll take top priority. SO it'll be sometime then.

In the meantime, I have sort of a dilemma with the story. What would you guys rather see?

1. a story that takes place inbetween FFF and FI (serving to explain the massive differences in setting, tone, and all the other changes that happened before at the same time as the story is happening),

2. a selective continuity that only aknowledges the cool, insteresting parts of FFF but branches off on it's own path at the end, ignoring the set up of FI,

or 3. a vauge, uninvolved continuity that just takes the characters on a new story, much like the non-canon comics in ABR. In a reimagined version of Avbaroy.

Keep in mind, this is meant to attract new readers. 1 might help set up and attract new memebers to FI, but at the same time the continuity might scare new artists away. This is supposted to be an introduction, afterall. 2 would be my favourite one from a story writing perspective, but I don't know if the supporters of FI would take kindly of it being retconed and I wanted to ask you guys first. 3 would be the simplest option, but it doesn't really feel right to me to have preexisting characters with continuity completely ignored.

Help? Any ideas? I have a basic storyline already planned that I'll cram into whichever one of these I end up going with, but I'm having trouble deciding on the setting.
    Last edited by Green-Shirt Q; 2011-12-09 at 02:49 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #337

Alright, so I got all the permission I need, but ABR: Dark Times Become Us isn't going to be made for a little bit because my artist has a lot of other writing projects, art, and homework she needs to do, but a couple months after Christmas she says this'll take top priority. SO it'll be sometime then.

In the meantime, I have sort of a dilemma with the story. What would you guys rather see?

1. a story that takes place inbetween FFF and FI (serving to explain the massive differences in setting, tone, and all the other changes that happened before at the same time as the story is happening),

2. a selective continuity that only aknowledges the cool, insteresting parts of FFF but branches off on it's own path at the end, ignoring the set up of FI,

or 3. a vauge, uninvolved continuity that just takes the characters on a new story, much like the non-canon comics in ABR. In a reimagined version of Avbaroy.

Keep in mind, this is meant to attract new readers. 1 might help set up and attract new memebers to FI, but at the same time the continuity might scare new artists away. This is supposted to be an introduction, afterall. 2 would be my favourite one from a story writing perspective, but I don't know if the supporters of FI would take kindly of it being retconed and I wanted to ask you guys first. 3 would be the simplest option, but it doesn't really feel right to me to have preexisting characters with continuity completely ignored.

Help? Any ideas? I have a basic storyline already planned that I'll cram into whichever one of these I end up going with, but I'm having trouble deciding on the setting.
    I like the 2nd and 3rd option myself, we'll do FI ourselves eventually
    Also, I guess most characters already have their backstories set up during those 15 years. For example "The Journey home" plot is still canon part of backstory for Skimmer.
    New story based on the cool aspects of previous plot(s) sounds awesome.
    Last edited by -skimmer-; 2011-12-09 at 03:15 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #338
    Titan in the Playground

2 or 3. If somebody's backstory gets contradicted by accident (or on purpose) then it'll be fine since it's an alternate history.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

9. - Top - End - #339
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm fine with either 2 or 3.
    Artifical intelligence is no match for natural stupidity
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Rogerd View Post
    Strike me down and I'll clean the floor faster than you can imagine

10. - Top - End - #340
    Titan in the Playground

On second thought, do 3. A blank slate will probably look less intimidating.

Extended Sig

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ettin in the Playground

I'd be cool with option 3.

12. - Top - End - #342

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    On second thought, do 3. A blank slate will probably look less intimidating.
    I agree. If the aim is to draw in new people, allowing them to help create the world and the plot is a much bigger incentive to join. I remember when I first joined. I was reluctant at first as the plot (FFF:R) had already got under way and I didn't want to tread on anyone's toes...
    Grlump the Elder, a Lvl. 5 Gnome Barbarian with a penchant for food.

Want an Avatar? ¦ I'm Building a Dalek ¦ Arthur B. Fittlewick: Dinosaur Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Grlump is way cool. That's too few words for how cool I think he is...

13. - Top - End - #343
    Titan in the Playground

Good news. Last final is tomorrow. If somebody reminds me, I could probably get my next two pages of FP/FI up before the weekend is out.

Aw heck with it, i'm not studying anyway... -_-

Extended Sig

14. - Top - End - #344
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: ABR Discussion thread XXXV - Rise of the Pervsharks!

And my finals aren't for another six months or thereabouts, so I should be completely free to make comics!

"Should" being the keyword, as OpenCanvas won't open anything I save. I think my computer might be possessed by Monkey Poes, but I am still investigating. :3

Which reminds me, since Mad Mask isn't doing comics any more, would anyone be up for playing the UNA ship that Keveak & co. will be trying to get by? I will give you free imaginary cookies!
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    And my finals aren't for another six months or thereabouts, so I should be completely free to make comics!

"Should" being the keyword, as OpenCanvas won't open anything I save. I think my computer might be possessed by Monkey Poes, but I am still investigating. :3

Which reminds me, since Mad Mask isn't doing comics any more, would anyone be up for playing the UNA ship that Keveak & co. will be trying to get by? I will give you free imaginary cookies!
    Christmas holidays start in a few days, I could give it a shot.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Troll in the Playground

Updates for ABR: Dark Times Become Us! My artist and I are having trouble deciding the style of this presentation...

a) traditional manga style, which she can do quite well, and it'll be super fantastic and professional looking

b) "chibi" manga style, which is more simplified and cuter (which somewhat ironically contrasts the dark story and title) and she'll be able to make comics much quicker

Which would you guys prefer seeing? The reason I keep asking you guys about these things is because, although this is my comic strip, it's still for the benefit of ABR, so I'd respect your opinions on what would be the stronger option for pulling people into our world.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #347
    Titan in the Playground

Updates for ABR: Dark Times Become Us! My artist and I are having trouble deciding the style of this presentation...

a) traditional manga style, which she can do quite well, and it'll be super fantastic and professional looking

b) "chibi" manga style, which is more simplified and cuter (which somewhat ironically contrasts the dark story and title) and she'll be able to make comics much quicker

Which would you guys prefer seeing? The reason I keep asking you guys about these things is because, although this is my comic strip, it's still for the benefit of ABR, so I'd respect your opinions on what would be the stronger option for pulling people into our world.
    Chibi. Ya said you're trying to draw in new artists - sleek professionalism is nice but it might discourage newbies.

Extended Sig

18. - Top - End - #348

I don't see why it couldn't be both....you know, traditional for serious stuff, chibi for fooling around, etc.....actually mixing those two styles as much as possible on purpose sounds awesome
    Spoiler
    Show

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I am not sure exactly what style would be traditional manga style, but I'd say the idea of applying both seems pretty interesting.

Certainly worked for Fullmetal Alchemist and it's peers, using a more realistic style for grave situations and a chibified style for silly moments or confusion.

It's also possible to alter styles between characters ala Lucky Star, but to do such may be jarring in the long run. Worth to mention, though. :3

EDIT: Also, yay for Lying! Sorry for missing your post, I was distractamated by Watching a Let's Play instead of being productive. ^_^'
    Last edited by Mina Kobold; 2011-12-15 at 04:29 PM.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm with Skimmer on this, the dramatic art shift is a great tool for showing changes in atmosphere and tension too.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Titan in the Playground

... I. ****ing. Hate. Windows. UPDATES.

The damn thing decides to restart my computer... causing me to lose three or four panels worth of work... And it's not like this was simple stuff either... *grumble* Ah well. Lazy redux here i come.

EDIT: Also, how would Skimmer refer to her soldiers? Maggots, boys, girls, men, women, Psychos?
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2011-12-16 at 11:52 AM.

Extended Sig

22. - Top - End - #352

EDIT: Also, how would Skimmer refer to her soldiers? Maggots, boys, girls, men, women, Psychos?
    Just "Soldiers" actually. I imagine her to be awfully formal and somewhat incompetent when acting as a leader. She got promoted only for catching bullets surviving many battlefields after all, which is what she does the best....
    Last edited by -skimmer-; 2011-12-16 at 12:34 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

23. - Top - End - #353
    Titan in the Playground

... oh crap.

Did we ever specify whether we were rebooting the entirety of FI? I just realized the two pages of comic I'm making is pretty much invalid if we're counting the Merinas plot arc as part of the FP plotline...

Extended Sig

24. - Top - End - #354

... oh crap.

Did we ever specify whether we were rebooting the entirety of FI? I just realized the two pages of comic I'm making is pretty much invalid if we're counting the Merinas plot arc as part of the FP plotline...
    Yeah we went with reboot. Keveak was in Merinas too, remember?
    Spoiler
    Show

25. - Top - End - #355
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by -skimmer- View Post
    ... nnnnnnnooo...

But, kthx.

Extended Sig

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by -skimmer- View Post
    My comic takes place at an earlier point in time than that would be, so Keveak could potentially still participate in the battle of Merinas without screwing up much more than the occasional word balloon.

... nnnnnnnooo...

But, kthx.
    He was the one crashing a train in the middle of the battlefield. :3
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

27. - Top - End - #357
    Troll in the Playground

*De lurks*
    So you all cancel the current plots and start new ones?

if they will provide many GCpM (Good Comics per Month) itll be ok.
    Despite everything, its still me.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Not as far as I can tell, granola.

We might be rebooting one of them, but the other ones should be doing just fine. In fact, they might even get comics!

This has been your Kobold Service Announcement for super dark33, preparing you for the Mind-Control of Happiness.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Titan in the Playground

Miridia is still going, Future Imperfect's reboot was announced while you were still around, I believe (Future Perfect ring any bells?) And FFFR has been dead for a looooooooooooong time.

Extended Sig

30. - Top - End - #360
    Troll in the Playground

Bah. im not familiar with all the plots. all i know is the Random kill plot, the miridia plot and the ABR corps.
    Despite everything, its still me.