New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 39 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: ABR Discussion thread XXXV - Rise of the Pervsharks!

if one of them would stop the boastful snarking you would even want to root for one.

2. - Top - End - #662
    Ogre in the Playground

So my fiancee went back to Sweden again and now I'm sads
    On the plus side I have more alone time to make comics!
    I'm technically but I refuse to admit it!
    Dawn of Yesterday (Resuming now!)
    Currently Developing the "PASSIVE™" RPG system
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Deth Muncher View Post
    +1 to Fay being awesome, causing nosebleeds and etc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    If Fay Graydon is visible to a male target, she deals d6 Nosebleed Damage per turn.
    I'm an Artist!, If you want an Avatar just PM me your specifics - Avatar by Me!

3. - Top - End - #663
    Troll in the Playground

Hey guys! I just had this idea for something I think would make a really cool addition to the ABR series. A spin-off if you will.

Competitive Avatar Battle Royale.

Okay, hear me out.

On a completely separete thread, a new battle begins. Only unlike in Classic Avatar Battle Royale, where you're free to create any character whatsoever with any abilities and godmodding and absolute freedom and it's all aimless and fun, in Competitive there are rules to win a trophy or something.

How would this work? I'm not entirely sure how it would work just yet. But here is some ideas on how it might work, and I wanted to hear your thoughts and opinions on the whole thing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Firstly, there's a sign up period for every Deathmatch, which are tournaments one after another in CABR. This sign up period will allow any number of artists to enter the fight with their artistic skills for a chance to win the trophy. The sign up lasts for, I dunno, a week or so. Maybe a month in the beginning, or a month to get the desired number of competitors. It needs to be a somewhat large amount.

After the sign up, an equal number of characters are created as the artists who signed up. These are fairly generic characters with a specific set of powers and abilties, as well as a unique name and apperance. Eventually creating these generic characters over and over again would get tiresome, so they may get reused for certain deathmatches. But there are new fighters every time, and the choosable list gets made after the sign-up period.

Then each artist picks their character. The one who they will be fighting with. This is decided by a first-post-first-served system, where only one person can select each character and whoever posts first gets first pick.

After everyone picks their characters or a certain time limit has past (and those who don't choose or don't respond get eliminated), the first round starts. The artists would then have a week or some other length of time to create a comic of their selected character killing somebody else's using their character's abilities. The character who dies in each comic is eliminated from the tourney. Each artist can only target ONE person per comic, and can only make one comic. Each of these comics are submitted to the organizer of the Deathmatch via PM, who posts them all at once in the thread. Also, there's a time limit to this round, and anybody who doesn;t submit a comic has their character eliminated.

If two artists happen to target eachother, then it is a Clash of Titans, and the decision of who kills who is left up to either one or a few judges, who judge the winner (the "canon" comic) by creativity, art skill and humour.

The second round would then start, with the survivors being those who won the Clash of Titans matches and those who nobody targeted. Everybody who was killed by somebody they did not retaliate against in the same round or who lost the Clash of Titans must sit out for the remaining rounds of the Deathmatch. The group of those remaining would be incredibly thinned. Then round 2 would start. Same as round 1. Rinse, wash, repeat.

Eventually, there's only one winner, and he gets the trophy and the honor of winning the Deathmatch.

Also, these Deathmatches would have creative names, so each trophy is different and has a different design so there's a point to winning them. These trophies are sized so they can be in a signature, and are givin in a PM so only the winner of the deathmatch has the link to put it in his sig.

And that's what I got so far.

Any creative input or opinions would be greatly appreiciated.
    Last edited by Green-Shirt Q; 2012-06-06 at 06:53 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

4. - Top - End - #664
    Ettin in the Playground

That sounds interesting. I'd be in for trying it if it ends up happening.

5. - Top - End - #665
    Troll in the Playground

I thirst for blood. Put me in the arena, coach.
    ____

6. - Top - End - #666
    Troll in the Playground

I thirst for blood. Put me in the arena, coach.
    ____

7. - Top - End - #667
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: ABR Discussion thread XXXV - Rise of the Pervsharks!

I like that idea, Q. ^_^

I might not be participating much, but I will try to be efficient enough in my drawing to at least join once or twice.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

8. - Top - End - #668
    Troll in the Playground

Even though it doesn't look like it, Forrestfire posted a new comic. I'm just posting this to say that I saw it, despite not appearing as a new post, and that I will respond shortly.
    Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #669
    Ettin in the Playground

Huh. You're right, it didn't show up.

In any case, glad to be back. What a hectic month it's been.

10. - Top - End - #670
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

The post has appeared, but somehow I cannot see the actual comic. That is sad.

But on the shadowy side, I now have a new idea for a comic! Although D miiiight not like what the "ghost party" is going to do if I get it finished on time.

EDIT: Apologies for not writing the name correctly, I am not too good at writing non-standard Latin letters. ^_^'

EDITEDIT: Picture works now!
    Last edited by Mina Kobold; 2012-06-25 at 10:44 AM.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

11. - Top - End - #671
    Troll in the Playground

I was wise to have waited for your response, Kev. That was a pretty funny and creative kill.

My response will be later today, probably.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #672
    Ettin in the Playground

Well that was unexpected. And hilarious. Definitely hilarious.

I'll wait for Q's response to do anything else.

13. - Top - End - #673
    Troll in the Playground

Hey Keveak, I'm making this comic and I can't really tell. Is your pirate-ghost character male or female?
    Spoiler
    Show

14. - Top - End - #674
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

I am not sure if ghosts technically have sexes, but Bones was female in life. Way too many male pirates in popular culture and way too few pirates without -beard names. :3

Makes you wonder if all pirates are members of a human species with shave-proof beards in males. I must investigate!
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

15. - Top - End - #675
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Green-Shirt Q View Post
    And Grlump, while I can't say your art style is my cup of tea, it's at least unique and interesting, and I respect the level of detail you put into it.
    That's OK. Enjoyed the comic actually.

This, however leads me onto a question I've been meaning to ask for a while now. What do people think of the Fleicher/Disney style I've been using?
    Grlump the Elder, a Lvl. 5 Gnome Barbarian with a penchant for food.

Want an Avatar? ¦ I'm Building a Dalek ¦ Arthur B. Fittlewick: Dinosaur Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Grlump is way cool. That's too few words for how cool I think he is...

16. - Top - End - #676
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GrlumpTheElder View Post

This, however leads me onto a question I've been meaning to ask for a while now. What do people think of the Fleicher/Disney style I've been using?
    Like I've said, I'm not a fan. To be honest, I think other people's character designs really clash with the art style, and the personality of the character becomes lost.

It's unique, but if I were you I'd look to re-invent a new art style some other way.
    Spoiler
    Show

17. - Top - End - #677

To be honest,I think other people's character designs really clash with the art style
    I completely agree with this - quite tempted to revert back to OotS Style for ABR...

I'll still stick with it for a separate project I'm working on, one which should soon be gracing these boards...
    Grlump the Elder, a Lvl. 5 Gnome Barbarian with a penchant for food.

Want an Avatar? ¦ I'm Building a Dalek ¦ Arthur B. Fittlewick: Dinosaur Hunter
    Quote Originally Posted by Serpentine View Post
    Grlump is way cool. That's too few words for how cool I think he is...

18. - Top - End - #678
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by GrlumpTheElder View Post

It is quite decent, although I find the shape of some characters' heads a bit odd for a Golden Age of American Animation style. But that is just me.

Now that we are on the subject, what do you folks think of my style? Confusing? Better or worse than my OotS drawings of old? o_ô
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

19. - Top - End - #679
    Ogre in the Playground

I think it's fine. Definitely better than your old work, but I could say that about anyone here.

I just hate myself for only practicing the Oots style all this time, instead of something less.. stick figure'ish. *shrugs*
    Last edited by Tiffanie Lirle; 2012-07-04 at 03:40 PM.

20. - Top - End - #680
    Troll in the Playground

Kev, I REALLY enjoy your new art style. I love the personality and charm it has and the level of detail it has! In fact, I love seeing my characters whenever they are portrayed in your style and look forward to seeing how they are going to be interpreted in future comics! I really want to see more!

Though if I have one tiny piece of contructive criticism, I'd recommend making the comics just bigger. The comics look like they're very squished, which kinda obscures detail (for example, the details of Captain Bloodbones' character design are difficult to make out). I don't know if maybe it's a comic hosting site or the art program squishing your comics down to a smaller size, or if you drew it that small, but I'd recommend making it a tad bigger as to not lose any crutial details, which other artists need to in turn draw your characters.

As for Tif, your artstyle is great. Not just good, but great! Your OOTS style is pretty damn detailed, and the use of shadow is often supurb. And your characters designs are really good and memorable. I just wish you made comics more often.

Now then, what do people think of my simplistic art style? There's not much separating it from OOTS style, but I'm starting to wonder whether or not I should bother updating it.
    Last edited by Green-Shirt Q; 2012-07-04 at 06:49 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

21. - Top - End - #681
    Ettin in the Playground

@GrlumpTheElder: To be honest, I'm not a fan of your art style. It's very well-done and unique, but it's not my cup of tea. Just kinda feels "off."

@Keveak: Your art style is absolutely amazing. Going to echo Q's opinions, as he stated it much better than my groggy 4th-of-july self could.

22. - Top - End - #682
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffanie Lirle View Post
    I think it's fine. Definitely better than your old work, but I could say that about anyone here.

I just hate myself for only practicing the Oots style all this time, instead of something less.. stick figure'ish. *shrugs*
    Thanks. I can certainly say you have improved as well, and you had quite nice art all the while. ^_^

I kind of lamented that too when I began hand-drawing my comics, it was years between me getting my tablet and actually using it for anything. ^_^'

Just practise and take what you learnt from the Order-style with you.

Kev, I REALLY enjoy your new art style. I love the personality and charm it has and the level of detail it has! In fact, I love seeing my characters whenever they are portrayed in your style and look forward to seeing how they are going to be interpreted in future comics! I really want to see more!

Though if I have one tiny piece of contructive criticism, I'd recommend making the comics just bigger. The comics look like they're very squished, which kinda obscures detail (for example, the details of Captain Bloodbones' character design are difficult to make out). I don't know if maybe it's a comic hosting site or the art program squishing your comics down to a smaller size, or if you drew it that small, but I'd recommend making it a tad bigger as to not lose any crutial details, which other artists need to in turn draw your characters.
    It is mostly my fault, I am quite terrible at gauging size. I will be expanding the size of my next comics. Sorry for not noticing earlier in this one. m(_ _)m

I am also considering getting a professional tablet, which might help visualising the size. I still marvel at how easy it has gotten to draw while looking away from the pen. X3

But on the note of character designs, would it help to draw character illustrations? I noticed that you and some others have posted template examples to help others mimic the design, but I am not sure if it would be helpful for a style that does not use templates. ^_^'

Feel free to give constructive criticism, by the way. I would be hypocritical for not accepting it, as I end almost every artist's commentary on my DeviantArt with requests for it. :3 [/ShamelessPlug]

Now then, what do people think of my simplistic art style? There's not much separating it from OOTS style, but I'm starting to wonder whether or not I should bother updating it.
    I quite like it, reminds me of the Rayman style of the older games (I have not played Origins to compare, sorries. ^_^'), the floating hands and simplicity really works.

I will however repay the constructive criticism, as I always think improvement is a good thing to strive for. The feet seem a bit odd for the style. Seeing that much of the underside makes them a bit too angled, as the characters appear to be toppling backwards at times. D's feet escape this, but might need a little more streamlining.

Quote Originally Posted by Forrestfire View Post
    @Keveak: Your art style is absolutely amazing. Going to echo Q's opinions, as he stated it much better than my groggy 4th-of-july self could.

Thanks.

Hope you had fun on the Fourth! I had a pretty good one, but that was more related to it celebrating my new legal adulthood than independence. ^_^'
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

23. - Top - End - #683
    Ettin in the Playground

I think there's a lot of unwarranted demotion put on stick figure artwork. Sure, it's not the most life-realistic style to go with, but by that same notion it has to excel in the pieces of realism it does utilise.

Drawing stick figures well is actually not an easy task, as you quickly realise when you start trying to make a webcomic like Remember.

And even then, Remember has a fair level of detail, xkcd has to focus entirely on the environment and the writing but even then the stick figures in it are exquisite.

So yeah, my artistic ability may be strongly grounded in Burlewan stick figures, but honestly I'm not convinced that's all that bad a thing.

24. - Top - End - #684
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

That is a very good point. I apologise for equating Burlewian art with doing poorly artistically. m(_ _)m

I certainly had a lot of fun drawing my earlier comics, and the style has some great examples of wonderful art and detail (Remember is very much among those). It is a very nice style, but very different from my current styles. I was trying to say that I had lamented at specialising so heavily in that period of time, as I wanted to do much other stuff too.

Again, my apologies. ^_^'
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

25. - Top - End - #685

*peeks in thread* Uh, hi...

Ok, I really don't want to seem like I'm advertising something, but I guess I don't have too many options here.

If anyone remembers I was working on the ABR RPG some ages ago? Yeah, well, it can be downloaded now if you want. More info here.

And sorry about being so vague here, it's just that I have about 20 minutes before I can post for at least about 2 or 3 weeks (unless I can post from my mobile phone). Not really much time to make a big reveal or anything. And taking into consideration my hatred towards this project (explained in the link), I don't think I'd want to do one either.

Well bye now. Gotta catch my train.
    Last edited by Omicroncubed; 2012-07-09 at 01:28 PM. Reason: If you're seeing this, I can probably post
    Thing Thing Avatar Tutorial
    (Careful, it's old, so don't reply)

26. - Top - End - #686
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Too bad the project ended up causing you such pain, but I hope you have fun wherever you are going.

On another note, I have made a lot of progress since I last made an ABRCorps comic. I kind of like how this one turned out, but some other opinions would be great! ^_^

By the choo-choo, can I use the wing that seems to be following D-Magpie in your last comic for my next comic, Q? I have an idea. :3
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

27. - Top - End - #687
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    On another note, I have made a lot of progress since I last made an ABRCorps comic. I kind of like how this one turned out, but some other opinions would be great! ^_^

By the choo-choo, can I use the wing that seems to be following D-Magpie in your last comic for my next comic, Q? I have an idea. :3
    The art is spectacular! A fantastic improvement!

And, uh, about the wing. It's barely attached to the body, except by, like, tendons and arteries and things. I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, but I doubt anybody in the body of the bird would be able to use it like that.
    Spoiler
    Show

28. - Top - End - #688
    Titan in the Playground

Too bad the project ended up causing you such pain, but I hope you have fun wherever you are going.

My stuff is terrible. Maybe i should switch art styles. Still something template-based, but...

Also, you are awesome and everything you do is awesome.

EDIT: ION, i think i'm going to take a hint from Keychain of Creation on facial expressions, particularly mouths. Would anyone mind critiquing?
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2012-07-11 at 08:57 PM.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

29. - Top - End - #689
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

[/QUOTE]
    The art is spectacular! A fantastic improvement!
    Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    Also, you are awesome and everything you do is awesome.
    T-thanks.

And, uh, about the wing. It's barely attached to the body, except by, like, tendons and arteries and things. I'm not entirely sure what you're asking, but I doubt anybody in the body of the bird would be able to use it like that.
    Good point, suddenly giving the ghosts the abilities of poltergeists would be kind of silly. I must think up a new plan of doom and destruction! Yay! ^_^

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post

My stuff is terrible. Maybe i should switch art styles. Still something template-based, but...

EDIT: ION, i think i'm going to take a hint from Keychain of Creation on facial expressions, particularly mouths. Would anyone mind critiquing?
    I think your stuff is pretty good! But switching art styles would also be interesting. :3

I would not mind critiquing! It sounds like a good idea, Keychain of Creation had a great art-style.

In completely unrelated news: Apparently San Diego Comic-Con starts today. Why do I not have a teleporter to San Diego?
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

30. - Top - End - #690
    Titan in the Playground

I would not mind critiquing! It sounds like a good idea, Keychain of Creation had a great art-style.
    Yes. But i'm incredibly lazy, so i probably won't end up replacing my stuff entirely. Yet.

(Note: these are just facial expressions. The body positions that come with them depend on what the character is doing)
    Spoiler
    Show

In completely unrelated news: Apparently San Diego Comic-Con starts today. Why do I not have a teleporter to San Diego?
    She'sinCairoEgyptIwingimmemyprize!!
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig