New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 28 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3181920212223242526272829303132333435363738 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #811
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: ABR Discussion thread XXXV - Rise of the Pervsharks!

Quote Originally Posted by Lyinginbedmon View Post
    She must be literally freezing to death with that outfit in a blizzard
    Clearly one of the side effects of being blown up with magic is an increased internal temperature.

2. - Top - End - #812
    Troll in the Playground

I really dig your artstyle, Darklord. It has a sorta...."Scribblenauts-if-it weren't-100%-sucky" feel to it. It's really pleasent.

I also really like your concept and your design of Spellscar. I think she and my new character will probably have a lot of great chemistry together, when I introduce him sometime in the next coming week.

Just don't abandon Cyban, please. She's actually one of my favourite characters in ABR as a whole.
    Spoiler
    Show

3. - Top - End - #813
    Titan in the Playground

...That thing on her face. That's a scarf and NOT a giant eldritch mouth, right?
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

4. - Top - End - #814
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: ABR Discussion thread XXXV - Rise of the Pervsharks!

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    ...That thing on her face. That's a scarf and NOT a giant eldritch mouth, right?
    Believe it is a patterned scarf. Not necessarily intended to look like a mouth, but similar to those scarves that are intended to do so. ^_^

On that note, Great introduction, Bright! I particularly liked the build-up of Spellscar's lament before the explosion and subsequent transition, very smoothly done.

Only thing I am wondering about is whether Spellscar is an Avbaroian or was transported there by the explosion, I do not recall seeing Lilotte mentioned before. Might just be me, though. ^_^'

And now to get back to drawing something silly before I draw something ABR related! To the Kobo-Kave! :3
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

5. - Top - End - #815
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keveak View Post
    Believe it is a patterned scarf. Not necessarily intended to look like a mouth, but similar to those scarves that are intended to do so. ^_^

On that note, Great introduction, Bright! I particularly liked the build-up of Spellscar's lament before the explosion and subsequent transition, very smoothly done.

Only thing I am wondering about is whether Spellscar is an Avbaroian or was transported there by the explosion, I do not recall seeing Lilotte mentioned before. Might just be me, though. ^_^'

And now to get back to drawing something silly before I draw something ABR related! To the Kobo-Kave! :3
    True but this IS the FFFr continuity. There could be plenty of unmentioned gods/goddesses.

Also: I love how the appearance of Iron's little hut changes in every shot it's featured in.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2012-11-29 at 12:01 PM.

Extended Sig

6. - Top - End - #816
    Ogre in the Playground

Just noting that my next comic will be up around Sunday, if not on Saturday.

If anyone has any objections to the plan of action, or anything to throw in then go for it.

Failure to object will result in me assuming you're okay with everything.

7. - Top - End - #817
    Ettin in the Playground

If I can muster the will to make a comic, I will have it up by mid-friday I think, at the latest.

8. - Top - End - #818
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffanie Lirle View Post
    Just noting that my next comic will be up around Sunday, if not on Saturday.

If anyone has any objections to the plan of action, or anything to throw in then go for it.

Failure to object will result in me assuming you're okay with everything.
    I've got a lot of crap going on this week so I'm just going to say that Iron's going to point out that ancient magical artifacts with that much power aren't easy to fix, and to ask who they're supposed to go to.

Extended Sig

9. - Top - End - #819
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Green-Shirt Q View Post
    Just don't abandon Cyban, please. She's actually one of my favourite characters in ABR as a whole.
    I'm more likely to phase her out of the limelight and use her for jokes as opposed to trying to make my part of the story centre around her. She'll still be around.

Bandanna worn over the mouth. It's there to cover up some pretty horrible facial scarring, which I have actually drawn underneath and might show one of these days.

She's Avbaroyan. Lilotte is a goddess I made up because I'm pretty sure not a lot of the cosmology has been defined for the reboot. She was going to be the goddess of magic, but I figured that was too broad and so I made her more of a patron saint of mages. The facelessness isn't a style choice, either, she's typically depicted that way. Let's ignore the fact that she uses the name of my goddess-of-lies from a different setting.

But yeah. When the talisman cracked, the resulting explosion overcharged the statue and caused it to blow, supercharging the magic and blasting the girl we will now know as Spellscar. If a character has any way of detecting magic, it'd be pretty overwhelming with her.

Which is funny, since she still can't actually cast spells.

10. - Top - End - #820
    Ettin in the Playground

If Lying were around, his main gripe with the plan would be the part where you reforge a magical artifact used to conquer most of the planet.

11. - Top - End - #821
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darklord Bright View Post
    She's Avbaroyan. Lilotte is a goddess I made up because I'm pretty sure not a lot of the cosmology has been defined for the reboot. She was going to be the goddess of magic, but I figured that was too broad and so I made her more of a patron saint of mages. The facelessness isn't a style choice, either, she's typically depicted that way. Let's ignore the fact that she uses the name of my goddess-of-lies from a different setting.
    I think Avbaroy already has atleast one established deity of magic. Actually, new deities seem to pop up with almost every new character, so whatever
    Last edited by -skimmer-; 2012-11-30 at 08:15 AM.
    Spoiler
    Show

12. - Top - End - #822
    Troll in the Playground

(You know it's kinda funny: There were a hjandfull of penguins in previous ABRs and it's now that you make a storrry about a cold setting, they're all gone. I blame polar bears)
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

13. - Top - End - #823
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by -skimmer- View Post
    I think Avbaroy already has atleast one established deity of magic. Actually, new deities seem to pop up with almost every new character, so whatever
    Not to mention that nothing's certain in the reboot except what's already been established, so who knows. I mean, the whole point of the reboot was to use the same set-up and basic ideas but remove itself from the heavily-established plot elements and things to allow people free reign to make stuff up again. You've gotta admit, world-building is one of the most fun parts of this little collaborative comic we all have going here.

14. - Top - End - #824
    Ettin in the Playground

Indubitably, one of my favourite parts of working on Remember is the worldbuilding

15. - Top - End - #825
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by smuchmuch View Post
    (You know it's kinda funny: There were a hjandfull of penguins in previous ABRs and it's now that you make a storrry about a cold setting, they're all gone. I blame polar bears)
    One of my earlier drafts of my upcoming character, Dr. Mandragola (coming to the plot this week!) was that he was going to be a guinoid. I decided against it because A) I didn't want to be seen as ripping off Kpenguin's style and B) the concept I came up with for his character is a lot more funny with him being a human.

Wait...Humans funnier than penguins?! WHAT WORLD IS THIS?!

And yes, I actually really enjoy reading the world-building stuff (though I get bored and confused if I try to read too much of it in one go). I like how it was originally a bunch of people trying to squeeze in their own god-like origins and it eventually just became a lore.
    Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #826
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

smile Re: ABR Discussion thread XXXV - Rise of the Pervsharks!

Quote Originally Posted by Darklord Bright View Post

But yeah. When the talisman cracked, the resulting explosion overcharged the statue and caused it to blow, supercharging the magic and blasting the girl we will now know as Spellscar. If a character has any way of detecting magic, it'd be pretty overwhelming with her.

Which is funny, since she still can't actually cast spells.
    Ooh, that is interesting. Do you have plans for Lilotte or could someone else also build upon it? I have a character in mind that may have clerical connections to a deity. Could easily be something else (I have some ideas), but tying things together may be fun. ^_^

On another note: We are indeed lacking in penguins. Anyone know what became of Kpenguin or Squark? I know Sinister is still left around, and amazing, but we used to have so many flightless feather-people around.
    Treasured Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Emphatic shirts.

Quote Originally Posted by SiuiS View Post

At first, it was the smiley faces and the mannerisms. Then, it was the infernal magpie. It struck a chord. A cutely fiendish, macabre chord.

An then I saw Keveak in the sorting hat and you are just the cutest thing when you want to be. My gosh look at that. It's squee-inducing.

17. - Top - End - #827
    Ettin in the Playground

I've seen Squark around the Team Fortress 2 thread.

Maybe we should bring back the sig banners.

18. - Top - End - #828
    Ogre in the Playground

Ooh, that is interesting. Do you have plans for Lilotte or could someone else also build upon it?
    No plans. If someone else were to take the little footnote there and decide she was the goddess of lies masquerading as a goddess of mages, I'd not have much of a qualm at all. If the name was just a coincidence and she was actually a goddess of mages, I'd be equally un-qualmed. The only real difference it'd make would be that Spellscar would probably respond differently to the discovery.

19. - Top - End - #829
    Troll in the Playground

I'm finished the illistrations for my first Endle∞ Winter comic. I may even get this comic up tomorrow.

Also, I'm doing all my comic art by hand, now. I'm doing my best to make it readable and dynamic, but I still need more practice, which I'm hoping will come through making ABR comics. Point is, please don't crucify me because my art isn't up to professional standards. I know. There's a learning curve.

Also, packaged with my first comic will be a non-canon comic to introduce the character more in-depth. One because it makes all the practice poses I drew useful (this comic basically uses my concept art), gives you guys enough of a good view to make good templates, and shows off his speech mannerisms and personality so that you can feel confident writing his character in your own comics.

I recommend everybody do this for their characters if they want them adequately represented in other's comics, just because most of the introductions so far haven't established much about anybody. Just an idea I had.
    Last edited by Green-Shirt Q; 2012-11-30 at 05:39 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

20. - Top - End - #830
    Ogre in the Playground

New comic up, we'll presumably be walking in some random direction after this. Unless someone has a brighter idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Lyinginbedmon View Post
    If Lying were around, his main gripe with the plan would be the part where you reforge a magical artifact used to conquer most of the planet.
    Can't make an omlet without breaking a few eggs.

I recommend everybody do this
    I would, but I'd rather not.

21. - Top - End - #831
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tiffanie Lirle View Post
    New comic up, we'll presumably be walking in some random direction after this. Unless someone has a brighter idea.

I would, but I'd rather not.
    I think I have an idea. I'll put it in my comic when I finish it.

And not making an intro comic is understandable. I just thought it was a neat little idea.
    Spoiler
    Show

22. - Top - End - #832
    Ogre in the Playground

And not making an intro comic is understandable. I just thought it was a neat little idea.
    It's not that I think it's a bad idea.

It's just I've already dedicated myself to drawing 3 comics a week as is. Any more and I'll spontaneously combust or explode or something. I'm pretty sure that's what happens when you draw too much in one week.

23. - Top - End - #833
    Troll in the Playground

What I just found out: inking hand drawn comics is a very time-consuming activity that shouldn't be completed with a big test tomorrow.

I'm almost done, and the comic will be up by Wednesday at the latest with plot-advancing details.

It takes place at the same shack you're all currently in, so please, if you're going to make comics before then, please don't move from that location yet.
    Spoiler
    Show

24. - Top - End - #834
    Titan in the Playground

What I just found out: inking hand drawn comics is a very time-consuming activity that shouldn't be completed with a big test tomorrow.

I'm almost done, and the comic will be up by Wednesday at the latest with plot-advancing details.

It takes place at the same shack you're all currently in, so please, if you're going to make comics before then, please don't move from that location yet.
    I was gonna have Iron Ice walk up to the door behind her and say something along the lines of "I've listened to crazier leaders with worse plans, I suppose. But I'm a Masked Hero, don't call me a mook." but that would involve them leaving the shack that I honestly didn't expect to last this many comics, so i'll save it for later and spend the intermediate time drawing templates.

Seriously, you'd be shocked how few templates I used to make before they were needed.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2012-12-02 at 06:21 PM.

Extended Sig

25. - Top - End - #835
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm probably going to do the same, and just work on templates until I see a good point to jump in.

I may do something like Q's idea and make a comic explaining the character and her gear.

26. - Top - End - #836
    Troll in the Playground

I was gonna have Iron Ice walk up to the door behind her and say something along the lines of "I've listened to crazier leaders with worse plans, I suppose. But I'm a Masked Hero, don't call me a mook." but that would involve them leaving the shack that I honestly didn't expect to last this many comics, so i'll save it for later and spend the intermediate time drawing templates.

Seriously, you'd be shocked how few templates I used to make before they were needed.
    It doesn't sound like it necessarily needs them to leave the shack. At least by that description.

Funnily enough, I drew Iron Ice right behind Nitrine at the front door, so as long as they don't actually leave, your comic could flow seemlessly into mine.

But whatever floats your boat.

Also, real talk, it was really funny to try and imagine what your character would look like in a more detailed art style. Mainly because your character has absolutely no detail on his character design and no visable personality indicating such. He's just a ridiculously simple character design.

Another observation: all the females in the party so far have their mouths covered by something. I exclude Peach because she hasn't joined the group yet. But it was odd when drawing a group shot and realizing over half the characters so far are females with their mouths covered. Bizarre.
    Spoiler
    Show

27. - Top - End - #837
    Titan in the Playground

It doesn't sound like it necessarily needs them to leave the shack. At least by that description.

Funnily enough, I drew Iron Ice right behind Nitrine at the front door, so as long as they don't actually leave, your comic could flow seemlessly into mine.

But whatever floats your boat.
    Hm. Maybe I will.

Also, real talk, it was really funny to try and imagine what your character would look like in a more detailed art style. Mainly because your character has absolutely no detail on his character design and no visable personality indicating such. He's just a ridiculously simple character design.
    That's by design Iron's supposed to be fairly humble and simple (for an Exalted, anyway) and anything he wore that he didn't need he would've handed off to somebody who did in an attempt to reform for his past. Masked Heroes were... well okay, this isn't important, is kinda spoilery (assuming I ever get to Iron's backstory in detail) and will probably show up later anyway.
    Spoiler
    Show
    people who committed some bad deed/deeds and genuinely wanted to reform - they were given their powers and in the process of gaining the hero's soul, lose their entire personality and memories and leave behind one last message, a la Amnesia: the dark descent. Iron's original self was REALLY desperate and miserable, and the current has thrown himself headfirst into 'making up for it' even though he has no idea.

Point is, Iron would only allow himself to have what he needed. And there's very little Exalted (especially mage-style castes like the Temporal) genuinely 'need'. There's a reason he's not wearing a coat, ya know.

Another observation: all the females in the party so far have their mouths covered by something. I exclude Peach because she hasn't joined the group yet. But it was odd when drawing a group shot and realizing over half the characters so far are females with their mouths covered. Bizarre.
    Try going through the Miridia archives and counting the named males. I can only remember two or three.

Also, Skimmer has hers uncovered in -skimmer-'s comic, i think... lemme check. Dead wrong, in fact.
    Last edited by HalfTangible; 2012-12-02 at 09:50 PM.

Extended Sig

28. - Top - End - #838
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah, I noticed the high ratio of female characters as well, and the fact that pretty much all of them have their mouths covered. In fact, Cobalt and Peach are the only characters so far that aren't wearing any sort of mask, am I right?

Haha, it's kinda funny. I guess there's an ounce of sense in there, due to the climate.

I'll have a comic up when I manage to get around finishing these templates.

A funny little aside: For some reason I find DLB's characters easier to make a template for in my art style than anyone else's, and I really can't figure out why. I like making templates, it's kinda fun interpreting other people's art styles and trying to be true to their general likeness whilst converting them into your own style. It's a bit time consuming for me though, I'm too much of a perfectionist!

Spoiler
    Show
    <NamelessOne> Calamity, you terrify me, and that's saying something.

29. - Top - End - #839
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calamity View Post
    Yeah, I noticed the high ratio of female characters as well, and the fact that pretty much all of them have their mouths covered. In fact, Cobalt and Peach are the only characters so far that aren't wearing any sort of mask, am I right?

Haha, it's kinda funny. I guess there's an ounce of sense in there, due to the climate.
    I guess I should be thankful. At least I don't have to draw more detailed facial expressions and female lips for them. Saves some time.
    Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #840
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calamity View Post
    A funny little aside: For some reason I find DLB's characters easier to make a template for in my art style than anyone else's, and I really can't figure out why. I like making templates, it's kinda fun interpreting other people's art styles and trying to be true to their general likeness whilst converting them into your own style. It's a bit time consuming for me though, I'm too much of a perfectionist!
    It might be because my style tends to show more details in the character designs. You don't need to fill as many gaps as you do with the less-detailed OotS templates, where you kind of need to make up whether or not people have sleeves and things. Maybe that's it?