Page 1 of 40 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default Deregulation Space: Let's Play: Galactic Civilisations 2

[The LP is complete, thanks again to everyone who participated!]

This is a Let's Play of Galactic Civilisations 2: Twilight of the Arnor.

And we're going to be playing as these guys

Spoiler
    Show

This is a sequel to the EU3 LP I did a while back, which you can find here. Take a read if you want to see the style this is going to be in.

What is Galactic Civilisations 2?

It's a 4X game set in a custom space setting, covering virtually every sci-fi cliche and trope in a charming and elegant way. The game is a lot easier to pick up and play than Europa Universalis and I can freely recommend it to new players. It's particularly notable for it's exceedingly cleverly strategic thinking AI, as demonstrated in the exceptional war diaries of Tom Francis.

It should be noted that peaceful and technological paths to victory are just as valid as military ones!

How It Works:

There's a catch, though. I'm very, very good at this game and I've found the challenge start to evaporate. This has lead me to play this game less and less as time has gone on.

As such, I need a real challenge. And rather than racking up the difficulty setting, I decided to do myself one better: Remove the sole genius military commander from the head of the Terran Alliance and make him answerable to a bunch of feuding, squabbling jerks from the Internet.

Enter: You guys.

Star Democracy:

There are eight political parties in Galactic Civilisations 2. These will all be the evolution of Swiss political parties from the EU3 LP. There are two levels to this democracy: Your PARTY and your MOTIONS.

Every three updates there will be a GENERAL ELECTION, where you state your political party (as well as any preferences you have). Do not feel the need to vote strategically: With eight parties, chances are that every government is going to be a coalition of feuding and bickering parties (which is exactly what I want). Each election, I will post a general outline of each party's stated goals and core beliefs, but within that you guys have free reign to determine that party's character and personality.

To really make this special, propose legislation, make sweeping election promises, propose presidential candidates and guard your own electorate. Roleplay it up; the more data you give me, the more things I have to try to make happen, and the worse (and more interestingly!) I'll play the game. Picking a single character/corporation/religious outfit/rogue AI also helps.

Example:

C.I.C. Enterprises is throwing it's support behind the Technocrats; the Federalists are demonstrating a disappointing lack of leadership in these troubled times.

Beyond the General Election, which determines who the President is and the general ongoing patterns the new Swiss empire will follow, you can freely propose MOTIONS. Anyone can propose a motion at any time, and if that motion is seconded by two other voters then it passes and I have to somehow try to make it happen. Motions cannot be overturned once made, but they can be vetoed by the president of the day if they run contrary to that party's core beliefs.

Oh, and give your motions catchy names if you can, helps me keep 'em separate in my head.

Example:

C.I.C. Enterprises moves that the new planet be named after the daughter of C.I.C.'s CEO; Adrianna.

We also support the motion to build a new warship

EDIT: This is the new format for proposing/voting on Motions!
    Spoiler
    Show

NAME OF MOTION: New Interstellar Constitution
    Each motion, once tabled, is put up to vote. Each vote is put in the following form, within a spoiler, for both the sake of role-play and cleanliness of posts:
    NAME OF MOTION | VOTE
    Example #1 | Oppose
    Example #2 | Support

In addition, all new motions should be placed officially in the same spoiler box in the following form:
    NAME OF MOTION: Example #3
    Then you put a bunch of text here, outlining exactly what the motion entails. This motion is an example.

This democratic process is highly experimental and may be revised if it plain isn't working. Remember contradictory and challenging orders are a plus; I'll do my best to follow through on every motion and set of instructions and keep a running tally of failed/incomplete ones.

Remember, you can freely trade favours with other parties and offer support with others' motions in exchange for support on your own. One thing, though, is to avoid forming unified voting blocks: Motions should be chaotic and free wheeling. Also, bold your votes of any kind so I can easily pick them out.

The Political Parties:
    Spoiler
    Show

The Tower Of Gold
    Region: Europe

Spoiler
    Show

The Tower of Gold is the oldest and most venerable political party in Switzerland, and thus the oldest party on Earth. It was formed in 1399 by a collection of like-minded merchants, bankers and plutocrats and went on to form the indelible core of the greatest nation on Earth. The Tower of Gold's influence is strongest in Europe, the core of Mighty Switzerland and the home of Deregulation.

Core Beliefs:
    - Stable economics
    - Order
    - Long Term Planning

The Awakened
    Region: Lithuania/Russia

Spoiler
    Show

The Industrial Awakening shattered the world. Notably, it completely devastated Traders, who had ruled over all from positions of unassailable wealth, and allowed the nation of Switzerland to make itself the true centre of the world's production. The Awakened are based in the former Lithuanian Empire, which once suffered under the scourge of Communist rule.

Core Beliefs:
    - Human Rights
    - Introspection
    - Infrastructure

The New School
    Region: Southeast Asia/Oceania

Spoiler
    Show

In the uncertain times of early colonisation, amidst the chaos of great powers and savage natives, in those early years when Switzerland was small and vulnerable it was the independence and genius of Her traders that made Her great. Switzerland is suddenly small again, vulnerable again, and once again she needs Her first line of defence. Amidst the peace and stability of Southeast Asia, famed for it's universities and cultural output, the New School preaches the doctrine of colonialism.

Core Beliefs:
    - Colonialism
    - Mutually Assured Economic Destruction
    - Culture

The New Delhi Resistance
    Region: India

Spoiler
    Show

Peace solves all equations. Even invasions. Even the quark. Even the dark.

Formed out of the peaceful revolutions that saw India attain it's independence twice - the reborn DOFAD-EITC placed in charge of India following the Great War was gradually dismantled in the face of ongoing protests - the New Delhi Resistance knows that if it simply holds strong in the face of aggression it's enemies will blink first. The Resistance has no need for weapons, for all the galaxy will beg to be allowed into the prosperity of deregulation.

Core Beliefs:
    - Peace
    - Cultural Assimilation
    - Integration

The Silver Standard
    Region: The Middle East and Latin America

Spoiler
    Show

The Silver Standard is the party of power. Three times it rode the tide of history into the three greatest wars of Switzerland's history: The Deregulation of the Holy Roman Empire, the Two Genocides, and the Great War. The Silver Standard is the party of Manifest Destiny, the party which knows that Switzerland's fate is to win against every foe and suffer no insult. It's influence is global, but it is particularly rooted in the Middle East and Latin America, amongst the poor and angry.

Core Beliefs:
    - Pride
    - Victory
    - Prestige

The Modernisers
    Region: China

Spoiler
    Show

It's simply madness to focus on politics, culture, and war when technology is so close to solving all those problems forever. We live in a time when we're years away from solving the energy crisis, eliminating hunger, evaporating every alien species with orbital deathrays, curing death. When these wonders are within our grasp, every moment spent not chasing them is a moment wasted. The Modernisers have their story and they're sticking to it; their influence has always been greatest in China, Taiwan and Hawaii which were historically hotbeds of scientific research and the application of advanced technologies.

Core Beliefs:
    - Science!
    - Trading for Science!
    - Applying Science!

Reformed Council
    Region: Africa

Spoiler
    Show

The only political party with no ties to Switzerland's political system of old, the Reformed Council was formed in 1600 by France to try and manage the African problem. For over 400 years the party languished as a joke political organisation, including one memorable stint when the only nations who had sent the RC ambassadors were the Maldives (the Sultan's brother who was mostly there for the free food) and three countries that had been deregulated and needed a place to hide their royal families.

The RC never possessed an ideology. That made it perfect. Everyone, from corporations to rogue Kill-Bots to bored rich people started propping up the RC which would then happily rubber stamp whatever was put in front of it. It is an organisation that exists to be used by others, with no drive or willpower of it's own.

Core Beliefs
    - The Universalists will pass any motion without veto, no matter how ridiculous, while they are in power. They will also generally bend over backwards to accommodate demands made of them, even if there aren't votes behind them. This essentially gives the thread direct control of the game.

The Department of Finance and Deregulation
    Region: North America

Spoiler
    Show

Space is a dangerous place, full of regulatory alien backwaters. It's just like the bad old days. Grab a good, solid Swiss Pike, add some lasers to it if you're feeling fancy, and let's go and bring civilisation to the savages.

The DOFAD is one of the most powerful ideas in Switzerland; all the rage felt by the traders against mercantilism made manifest in an organisation that is part corporation, part military, and part central bank.

Core Beliefs:
    - Aggressive Deregulation
    - Deregulatory Superiority
    - Trade, Investment and Economics

Humanity is taking it's first step into the stars, marching to the beat of a thousand slips of paper falling into ballot boxes. The decisions you make here today will determine the fate of the Cosmos itself.

Which makes the first votes very important: Our flag and our starting political party! Cast one vote for each!

EDIT: F is victorious, others stored for posterity

Spoiler
    Show

A)

B)

C)

D)

E)

F)

Last edited by Thanqol; 2011-10-29 at 04:27 AM.
    To improve is to change
    To be perfect is to change often

2. Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Deregulation Space: Let's Play: Galactic Civilisations 2

Table Of Contents:

1/1/2227 - 15/3/2228: President Aebi
    15/3/2228 - 22/3/2229: President Aebi

Xenocultural History: The Drengin and the Korath

22/3/2229-15/3/2230: President Aebi
    15/3/2230 - 15/3/2231: President Jayden Mavel

Xenocultural History: The Iconians and the Yor

15/3/2231-1/1/2233: President Jayden Mavel
    1/1/2233-8/10/2233: President Jayden Mavel
    8/10/2233-8/3/2234: President Market Forces

INTERLUDE : Junecutter's Message
    INTERLUDE : MOTIVES

8/3/2234-8/5/2234: President Market Forces
    8/5/2234: President Market Forces
    8/5/2234: President Market Forces
    8/5/2234-1/11/2235: President Raphael Junecutter

Xenocultural History: The Altarians and the Drath

1/11/2235-1/3/2238: President Raphael Junecutter
    1/3/2238-8/1/2239: President Kitukkerazz
    8/1/2239-1/3/2240: President Kitukkerazz

Xenocultural History: The Arceans and the Krynn

THREE YEARS LATER...

ALL FOR ONE

ONGOING MOTIONS:

Spoiler
    Show
    4. Advanced Space Defense Industries Initiative
    Spoiler
    Show
    Further improvements to our shipbuilding capabilities are possible. When the appropriate technology is unlocked we should build the Hyperion Shipyard super project the following turn on the plant with the highest industrial output.

Reference: http://galciv.wikia.com/wiki/Hyperion_Shipyard

5. Formation of a Corsair program.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Every corporation, religious movement, or other faction with a fleet may request a Letter of Marque and Reprisal, assuming good standing with humanity as a whole. Should this action be taken, all ships belonging to the aforementioned parties may seize and prey upon any hostile craft, selling the parts and any cargo at their personal benefit. An incentive for aiding the defense of humanity as a whole rather than focusing on personal benefit.

Motion: Elite Ground Troop Naming
    Note: This motion shall only be implemented, as will any other motions stated to include 'mad science', upon the election of the Tower of Gold, Modernisers, or any other party inherently OK with mad science.

Spoiler
    Show
    The Elite Planetary Infantry Corps (EPIC) shall be composed mainly of Gurkhas relocated to Finnland in a mad social science experiment aiming at creating the strongest ground troops Earth has to offer: Furkhas!

Privately Sponsored Ships and Fleets

The thread is free to claim direct control over any ship or fleet and give it specific instructions; these can be as simple as "Tourism run of Drengin space" to as long term as "Avoid any conflict where this fleet suffers a high chance of being destroyed".

Lots of Charts and Graphs

I ****ING LOVE CHARTS AND GRAPHS!

4. Motion: Establishment of the Intergalactic Research Authority
    Spoiler
    Show
    I move to the establishment of the Intergalactic Research Authority, a council made up of our nation's finest minds and respected scientific authorities to administer and manage our research and academic facilities, decentralizing them from Government authority and thus relieving the burden from our bankrupt but hardworking President Aebi.

10. Motion: Rory Williams "Memorial" naming act.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Avoid naming anything after Hitler. He's rubbish.

11. Motion: Naming Conventions for Privately Owned Ships/Fleets
    Spoiler
    Show
    Any privately owned ships and/or fleets can be named in any style that the owner prefers. However, in order to keep things orderly, each ship must A) comply with ship model tags agreed upon earlier and B) Have an identifier to the individual or organization that owns them.

13. Motion: Diversification of Military Research
    Spoiler
    Show
    We should make sure we're ready for any situation. Therefore, we need to research all three lines of weapon research equally, as well as all three defenses.

14. Motion: Planets are Privatized by Lottery
    Spoiler
    Show
    Among the interested parties that do not yet have a planet (or have the lowest number of planets, if everyone has one), one is randomly chosen as the owner of the new planet.

1: Basic Colonial Infrastructure Proposal
    Spoiler
    Show
    Unless otherwise specified by the owning corporation, we propose that a factory and a market centre be built on each colonial world to provice for their citizens basic needs.

*Factories allow us to build stuff, market centres boost the economy by 8% to pay for the factories. We should probably build more than that eventually.

Complete Motions:

Spoiler
    Show

6: Motion: Basic Defensive Measures
    Spoiler
    Show
    Switzerland should research basic beam weapons and, as soon as feasible, upgraded engines. After we have the weapons, a small defensive deterrant fleet should be constructed to protect us against potential xeno threats.

Administrative ship naming

Each new ship chassis shall be assigned a letter, and every ship of that chassis shall be assigned a number.

New Interstellar Constitution

Voting format reform. If you've ever loved my eyes, follow this. You can find the full version in the OP.

Kurgan's Naming Scheme for Planets and Vessels:

Famous historical leaders will be used for names until we run out of names, at which point a new naming scheme will be implemented.

2: Act to Establish Interstellar Trade
    Spoiler
    Show
    The DoFaD needs to guarantee our corporations access to growing alien markets. We propose sending freighters to trade with the Altarians as soon as possible.

5: Historical Justice
    Spoiler
    Show
    Compensate the Lithuanians for infecting them with Communism then starving tens of millions of their population to death and taking their land west of Moscow by returning the ancestral Lithuanian lands to Moscow. Compensate DOFAD by returning India under its rule.

Motion: Total Deregulation of Evil Robots:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Colonial Affairs propose that we finish the job the robots so helpfully started before moving on to deregulate the other minor races that declared on us. This will send a message to other parties who would think to launch a pre-emptive strike on us.

Design: Strikefighters (Class name to be determined later).
    Spoiler
    Show
    In light of our military losses, Colonial Affairs propose the design and production of lighter ships that less industrial orientated planets are able to mass produce cheaply and on the fly. Although a lighter hull means less weaponry per ship, we feel it is necessary to prevent further invasion of roaming Arcean ships who are raiding our planets at will.

Motion: Privatization of Fleet Purchases
    Spoiler
    Show
    Fleets bought on a planet are tagged with the signature of and owned and directed by the owners of a planet, though if they are without orders they will be directed by the DSPSs leadership at the central command on Earth. Thankfully production will be even across all planets due to the Swiss preference for privatized credit-driven shipyards.

6. Motion: Acquisition of Interstellar Principalities Ordinance
    Spoiler
    Show
    We have little time to lose, let us put all our energy into aquiring as much interstellar property as possible before the other, inferior species.

9. Motion: Development of Natural Resources Act
    Spoiler
    Show
    As such, it would be in Greater Switzerland's best interests to secure any such resources as soon as they are discovered, lest they fall into alien hands and be regulated. Naturally, the Liandri Mining Corporation would be the best choice to oversee this process.

Surveil, Subsidize, and Sieze Initiative

The first minor alien race to be found will be quietly built up and helped to modernise until they've finished the very expensive process of industrialising, at which point we will look into deregulatory options.

Failed Motions:

Spoiler
    Show
    7. Motion: The Divide and Conquer Plan
    Spoiler
    Show
    We can exploit any lingering animosity between the Drengin and Korath to cause a war between them as soon as possible. This will mean less of them for us to kill when the time comes.

5. Motion: Establishment of Friendly Relations With the Alterian Resistance (Same purpose with Establishment and Strengthening of Client Species Act, motions are merged.)
    Spoiler
    Show
    I propose the adoption of a friendly stance to the Alterians, establishing friendly relations and the mutual exchange of ambassadors as soon as possible, putting forward a Modernizer candidate for such a diplomatic venture as best qualified to appreciate the Alterian's potential, scientific and otherwise.
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2011-10-29 at 04:26 AM.
    To improve is to change

3. Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Aw hell yeah.

Maybe I'll actually participate in this one, as opposed to cackling madly from the sidelines.

4. Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

Jawsome.

I support The New School. Switzerland's might and power were only due to a core fundamental belief in strong, free trade. Without that cornerstone, Switzerland would have never made it out of the European Alps. I fear that if we do not trade with other civilizations, then we will be lost to history.

As for the flag, I vote for E. It will inspire and make manifest our goals for the galaxy, but will be obscure to any other civilization that encounters us. Also, it looks friggin' sweet.

5. Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

I lost interest in the last one when it stopped being linked to the game, so I am ignorant of the last little while of politics.

That said, flag-voting

I vote for A, but mess with some colours.
    This is SPACE, after all! Invert colours, and put black stars scattered on the white background.

And I also vote for The New School. We must aggressively colonize new planets before we can think of doing anything else!

BTW, I shall represent, for the sake of Role Play, Ursula Biedrzycki, and Jacques de la Taille, Vice-President and President of Solutions Internationale, world-renowned thinktank based in Rouens.
    Last edited by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll; 2011-07-22 at 09:53 AM.
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

6. Top - End - #6
    Bugbear in the Playground

My thoughts on this thread: yes

In other news ambassador Shadowy is here to insist that YOU WILL SIGN THIS SCIENTIFIC TREATY OR YOU WILL BE BURNED BY THE WRATH OF THE SPACE ARMADA.

MY vote is for the Tower of gold. Since we need strong fiancial backing to be able to ANNHILIATE any other peaceful spacefaring races we may find out in the murky deeps. However, ANYTHING is better then certain parties getting thier way so this vote may change.

I have no opinions on the flag. (Yet.)
    Adaptability is Strength.

7. Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground

Sweet.

I support DoFaD, colonisation goes hand in hand with defense. Remember, we will not be the only ones out there and if the aliens get to a planet we want before us, we need to be prepared to take aggressive action to protect our vital interests.

I see that we have +1 trade routes. What exactly does this mean? Will the money we get be boosted more by the Tower of Gold or the New School and is there a difference between domestic and intergalactic trade? Seeing as WE ARE SWITZERLAND, we should take as much advantage of this as possible.

EDIT: Or the diplomacy bonus, which would mean the silver standard. But since we haven't met anyone yet, we should just kill them for their stuff if we can.
    Last edited by Caewil; 2011-07-22 at 10:19 AM.

8. Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Hooray, Switzerland is back! I missed the end of the voting last game because the politics became too complicated, but now I'm back to bring 20% more typos to the voting process . Ironically, there was a typo right there, but I edited it out before posting
    Anyway, I vote for the Silver Standard, Swizz politics has always been about whatever best suits the public at the time, we might as well have a Populist party to acknowledge that. Besides, the Silver Standard won us Earth, they will now win us the galaxy! Also, as for the flag, I agree with flag A, but with colours switched up a bit.
    Last edited by Altaria87; 2011-07-22 at 12:52 PM.

9. Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

I am with the DoFaD. And flag B seems just right. Modern without being too tied to the previous flag.

WE SHALL DEREGULATE THE STARS ITSELF.

Also, my response when I saw this.

On a sidenote, how big a galaxy are we playing? (And the settings if possible.)
    @Caewil, +1 trade routes means more moolah essentially ingame.

Also, will you be giving us the chance to design space ships? I foresee lots of fun in that regard.
    Last edited by Grif; 2011-07-22 at 11:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thanqol View Post
    We don't have enough pony to fill a subforum. We have enough friendship to fill a ponythread.
    Awesome Sliverpine ponytar by Dirtytabs.

Placeholder for former avatars.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Excellent Ponytar thanks to Dirtytabs.

10. Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

ElfRogueGirl

OMG! I have been waiting this. I vote for Silver standard, we must show those alien scums that we are noble, prideful and most of all succesful people on all accounts, so they don't even think about messing with us.

11. Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Oh.

Humans. Playing at interstellar politics.

This will be adorable. But, alas, the first law still stands. Advancing the interests of your species, and similar. I suppose the creators were human.

I like to think they were a better class of human, of course. Refined.

This is probably a lie I tell myself to prevent suicide.

Ah, well. At any rate, you've finally decided to stop depending entirely on our organization for defense. Good for you.

The Extraterrestrial Combat Unit will, of course, provide scientific and industrial support, when possible. Admittedly, a number of the more entertaining developments must be kept out of your clumsy organic hands for the moment. Such is life.

For the present, I would advise the E pattern of flag as the least likely to cause a diplomatic incident. However, and I say this with utmost regret...

The D'regs have the right position. Your species will in all likelihood be faced with the risk of extinction, and as barbaric as I may find this particular group (72 hours hospitality, really. 72 seconds is more in keeping with galactic standards) they provide the most efficient deployment of your (tragically limited) military resources.

Looking forward to your success or extinction.

Artificial Advisor M77- א "Functional Irritant", Semi-Official Acting Commander, X-Com, universal stream Quadwal 609.27 Kappa.
    Last edited by chiasaur11; 2011-07-22 at 11:38 AM.
    Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

12. Top - End - #12

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    Oh.

Humans. Playing at interstellar politics.

This will be adorable. But, alas, the first law still stands. Advancing the interests of your species, and similar. I suppose the creators were human.

I like to think they were a better class of human, of course. Refined.

This is probably a lie I tell myself to prevent suicide.

Ah, well. At any rate, you've finally decided to stop depending entirely on our organization for defense. Good for you.

The Extraterrestrial Combat Unit will, of course, provide scientific and industrial support, when possible. Admittedly, a number of the more entertaining developments must be kept out of your clumsy organic hands for the moment. Such is life.

For the present, I would advise the E pattern of flag as the least likely to cause a diplomatic incident. However, and I say this with utmost regret...

The D'regs have the right position. Your species will in all likelihood be faced with the risk of extinction, and as barbaric as I may find this particular group (72 hours hospitality, really. 72 seconds is more in keeping with galactic standards) they provide the most efficient deployment of your (tragically limited) military resources.

Looking forward to your success or extinction.

Artificial Advisor M77- א "Functional Irritant", Semi-Official Acting Commander, X-Com, universal stream Quadwal 609.27 Kappa.
    And thus, two of my favorite LP's become one.

I'm voting for the Silver Standard

For flag design I'm thinking Flag A with Flag E's color scheme and some stars added to the background.
    Minecraft: probably more addictive than heroin

I hate those things. If you hate those things, too, copy and paste this into your signature.

13. Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

I say, I say, what's all this then, old bean? You're saying that I, Cornelius A. Wulfensheine III, Head Boy of the jolly old Oxford Space Marine chapter, have been invited to be one of the global advisory chaps up at old HQ? Well, why didn't you say so before I released the hounds, then, eh? Silly chap, still, Grimmauld here will patch you right up, won't you, Grimmauld? Do be a good man and go fetch the doctor.

Now, you're asking me where my political allegiance lies, eh, chum? Well, that's easy enough, as easy as an Aussie doxy, if you get my drift, right? My father was a fervent supporter of the New School, as was his father before him, and his father before him, and his father before him, and great-great-great-grandpappy was beaten to death by his household staff, so we don't talk about his political leanings that much, eh? I'd be happy to represent them, unless you're here with a couple of banks and the old DOFAD, hehe, I'm just joshing you, old boy.

And what's that, chum? You say that my august intuition and impeccable fashion sense is required in the choosing of our grand old interstellar flag? Well, that's simple enough, really, once you start to think about it - it must be that one that you've got labeled as simply choice E. By Jove, wouldn't that look smashing, flying over Jupiter and Mars? Every alien beastie worth its salt would be reaching for its brown pants when it sees this flag, I'd bet a mansion on it. Right, was that all? Good lad, now do go with Grimmauld and see about getting that leg attached back on! And quit your whining, boy, back in the day they used to cane us if we even whimpered about getting our guts ripped out! The doc'll sew that up, nice and tight, and remember: pain is fear leaving the body, eh?
    -build that wall and build it strong-
    Kasanip - best artist; Rarity - best smile; Thanqol - good Question
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by PhoeKun View Post
    Raz, you scoundrel! You planned this!
    Quote Originally Posted by BladeofObliviom View Post
    Great, and now I'm imagining what Raz's profile on a dating site would look like. "Must be okay with veils."
    Quote Originally Posted by Kasanip View Post
    I don't think there is such a time to have veils that it is not the fault of Raz_Fox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dervag View Post
    It's a freaking Romulan dump truck. The Romulans are no more likely to build an unarmed warp-capable ship than they are to become a hippy commune.

14. Top - End - #14
    Orc in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'll vote for the DoFaD and flag E.

We'll need all the unrestricted trade in dangerous exotic alien goods that we can get, if only to fund our constant war-mongering completely necessary defensive countermeasures.

15. Top - End - #15

YES! Finally, Switzerland in SPAAAAAAAAACCEE!

Initially I support the Tower of Gold. This is the beginning of a new era. We need a sound economic foundation in order to meet the challenges we will encounter.

As for the flag, my vote goes to B, but I'd prefer a photoshopped version of A
    Many thanks to Assassin 89 for this avatar!

16. Top - End - #16

For our first steps into the great beyond, I would suggest we go with The Tower of Gold. We need stability and order to build the foundations of the Great Swiss Space Empire.

For flags, I'm actually fond of D myself.

17. Top - End - #17
    Troll in the Playground

Colonizations and economy, is it? Really, Switzerland? Is this what it's come to?

Take a look back for a moment. Switzerland's power, ever since the modernizers turned up, has lain in science. The many wars carried out? Won by science, lost when the same methods are stolen by others. But science, you say, needs funds to function.

What gave Switzerland its greatest economic boost in history, again? That's right, steam power and the industrial revolution. Frankly, if we focus on economy, we will fall behind the rest of its galaxy and its advanced methods of production. Focus on colonization, and we'll find our people dying in droves on savage, inhospitable planets that, with a few years of research to help out, could have been perfectly habitable.

And the DOFAD... well, don't get me started on that. War has its time, and that time is not when we're barely spaceworthy. If you want to be shot to pieces by ships that vastly outclass ours, be my guest, but don't take the rest of the country down with you. Remember, for now, Switzerland is only the greatest nation on Earth.

As you may have guessed, while each of these parties have their merits, now is not their time. I support the Modernisers, the ones whose genius put us in space in the first place. While we're at it, I suggest increasing funding for education - specifically, history. Clearly, it's sorely needed.

As for flags, flag D, ideally changed to a black background and white stars, seems most fitting.
    Last edited by Cogwheel; 2011-07-22 at 05:35 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show

Homebrew:
    The Sandman

18. Top - End - #18
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Caewil View Post
    I see that we have +1 trade routes. What exactly does this mean? Will the money we get be boosted more by the Tower of Gold or the New School and is there a difference between domestic and intergalactic trade? Seeing as WE ARE SWITZERLAND, we should take as much advantage of this as possible.

EDIT: Or the diplomacy bonus, which would mean the silver standard. But since we haven't met anyone yet, we should just kill them for their stuff if we can.
    Each race has a cocktail of racial bonuses and penalties as well as 10 bonus points to spend wherever they will. This first election determines where I spend those bonus points - If, say Awakened get 3 votes, DOFAD 4 and Modernisers get 2, I'll spend those points on Industrial Production, Soldiering and Research bonuses.

Humans in GalCiv are modelled of the Star Trek Federation, meaning they're inherently better at being diplomats, but if history has taught us anything it's that diplomacy is necessary to fight winning wars!

Quote Originally Posted by Grif View Post
    On a sidenote, how big a galaxy are we playing? (And the settings if possible.)
    @Caewil, +1 trade routes means more moolah essentially ingame.

Also, will you be giving us the chance to design space ships? I foresee lots of fun in that regard.
    Spoiler
    Show

Also, yes. Comes under a Motion.

Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    I say, I say, what's all this then, old bean? You're saying that I, Cornelius A. Wulfensheine III, Head Boy of the jolly old Oxford Space Marine chapter, have been invited to be one of the global advisory chaps up at old HQ? Well, why didn't you say so before I released the hounds, then, eh? Silly chap, still, Grimmauld here will patch you right up, won't you, Grimmauld? Do be a good man and go fetch the doctor.

Now, you're asking me where my political allegiance lies, eh, chum? Well, that's easy enough, as easy as an Aussie doxy, if you get my drift, right? My father was a fervent supporter of the New School, as was his father before him, and his father before him, and his father before him, and great-great-great-grandpappy was beaten to death by his household staff, so we don't talk about his political leanings that much, eh? I'd be happy to represent them, unless you're here with a couple of banks and the old DOFAD, hehe, I'm just joshing you, old boy.

And what's that, chum? You say that my august intuition and impeccable fashion sense is required in the choosing of our grand old interstellar flag? Well, that's simple enough, really, once you start to think about it - it must be that one that you've got labeled as simply choice E. By Jove, wouldn't that look smashing, flying over Jupiter and Mars? Every alien beastie worth its salt would be reaching for its brown pants when it sees this flag, I'd bet a mansion on it. Right, was that all? Good lad, now do go with Grimmauld and see about getting that leg attached back on! And quit your whining, boy, back in the day they used to cane us if we even whimpered about getting our guts ripped out! The doc'll sew that up, nice and tight, and remember: pain is fear leaving the body, eh?
    I love you forever.

(Funnily enough I said that without knowing who you were due to avatar switch)
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2011-07-22 at 06:49 PM.
    To improve is to change

19. Top - End - #19
    Pixie in the Playground

I'm here at last. Thanqol I discovered your lets play earlier today and it convinced me to buy Europa Universalis 3, and after being brutally destroyed I finished your LP.

Its ironic though, that the person who brought me to this forum and convinced me to register was Cogwheel and his LP of dungeon crawl stonesoup. So I have come out of hiding after following his LPs for some time now.

I also vote for the The Tower Of Gold for a strong and stable economy is the foundation for what will become a mighty Swiss empire, Because who are we kidding? As the greatest Swiss philosophers once said, '**** Peace."

I Admit I may be paraphrasing a bit, but deregulation all the way.
    Last edited by jamlamin; 2011-07-22 at 08:30 PM.

20. Top - End - #20
    Ettin in the Playground

Put me in the The Modernisers. SCIENCE!
    Thanks to Veera for the avatar.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by ClericofPhwarrr View Post
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    Quote Originally Posted by I'm da Rogue! View Post
    I'm in love with you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Taren View Post
    ...I...I think I love you.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gwyn chan 'r Gwyll View Post
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.

21. Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground

Dhavaer, you're still around? :O
    I swear, I can't remember seeing you since I joined...

Anyways.
    Anybody want to give me the REAL quick version of what happened since his EUIII game crashed? So I know the history?
    Steampunk GwynSkull by DR. BATH

"Live to the point of tears"
    - Albert Camus

Quote Originally Posted by Wyntonian View Post
    What. Is. This. Madness.

22. Top - End - #22

We went through an industrial revolution, allied with France when the French revolution came. Crushed Lithuania, which then went communist. Voted in Hitler to start the Great War and then took over most of Europe, confirmed our gains by dropping an atomic bomb on the Naples and the Papal States Fleet. Did the same in Asia by A-bombing China-Japan's fleet. Did not target civilians and we became the most powerful and influential civilization on earth.

23. Top - End - #23
    Ettin in the Playground

Dhavaer, you're still around? :O
    I swear, I can't remember seeing you since I joined...
    Or course I am. I am ETERNAL!

Spoiler
    Show
    Dhavaer, your ideas are like candy from the sky, sprinkled lightly with cinnamon.
    I'm in love with you.
    Wow. Badass without being flashy and showy, attractive while remaining classy. Bravo Dhavaer.

24. Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Caewil View Post
    We went through an industrial revolution, allied with France when the French revolution came. Crushed Lithuania, which then went communist. Voted in Hitler to start the Great War and then took over most of Europe, confirmed our gains by dropping an atomic bomb on the Naples and the Papal States Fleet. Did the same in Asia by A-bombing China-Japan's fleet. Did not target civilians and we became the most powerful and influential civilization on earth.
    Ah, that reminds me, of some advice. Outside observer status conveys certain benefits, and similar.

You see, your actions regarding a certain one testicled political figure were not in keeping with proper conduct among civilized nations.

In working with colleagues, I have acquired illustrated diagrams regarding the official procedure in the event the aforementioned utterly abysmal artist is found in a position of power.
    Spoiler
    Show

This, of course, is only when one is forced to use the resources of a primitive society. A more advanced culture could avoid the unfortunate use of human force in such circumstances. We also have diagrams for how an enlightened, advanced society could handle such problems.

Spoiler
    Show

I dearly hope you found that informative.

Remember how I was wishing for the peace of oblivion a minute ago?

Yeah. That hasn't exactly changed with more knowledge of the situation. -Security Chief Victor Jones, formerly of the UESC Marathon.

X-Com avatar by BRC. He's good folks.

25. Top - End - #25

NecromancerGuy

The Modernisers. How often do you get to think a galaxy to death?

26. Top - End - #26
    Ettin in the Playground

I vote for the Modrenizers and Flag number 1! It may have been the Silver Standard at the helm during the Great War, but it was won through the power of technology!
    In order to understand recursion you must first understand recursion.

Thanks to Elder Tsofu for my new Lancer Avatar

27. Top - End - #27

Well crap, my two favorite LP authors in one place? I guess I'm going to have to participate in this one.

As for me, I'm going to have to support the DOFAD. After all, what is more Swiss than deregulating foreign markets at the end of a pike? Or laser-pike, as the case may be.

And I think we should use the classic Swiss flag, number 1. After all, the rest of the world changed, not the Swiss. Why would they change their flag?
    Last edited by Sithis; 2011-07-23 at 01:20 AM.
    Awesome Morrigi Avatar by Akrim.elf. A thousand thanks.

TW Factions

Spoiler
    Show

None

PBP Characters

28. Top - End - #28
    Ettin in the Playground

For flags, I like E, but it might be a bit too fascist looking. I'll vote for D.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm in love with you.

29. Top - End - #29
    Halfling in the Playground

As the representative of the Syndicate of Dutch Shipyards (SDS), the world's second largest producer of both regular and spacecraft, my vote is in for the DoFaD. We think that both war, with its inevitable losses in ships and colonization, with colony ships being used as the foundation for the settling of the newly inhabited planet, will provide us with ample business opportunities be the best strategy for our Intergalactic Swiss Empire.

EDIT: It seems our request for the flag failed to be included in the previous memo. To clear up this matter, flag E would be our flag of choice.
    Last edited by VonFenris; 2011-07-23 at 07:00 AM.

30. Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

I vote for A, but mess with some colours.
    This is SPACE, after all! Invert colours, and put black stars scattered on the white background.
    Quote Originally Posted by Demon 997 View Post
    For flag design I'm thinking Flag A with Flag E's color scheme and some stars added to the background.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cogwheel View Post
    As for flags, flag D, ideally changed to a black background and white stars, seems most fitting.
    Flag 2 uses the Canis Major (not minor!) constellation.

I am not good at photoshop yet.

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show

Spoiler
    Show
    Last edited by Thanqol; 2011-07-23 at 07:14 AM.
    To improve is to change