New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Custom Clothes Monster, Please Help

I need a custom monster built roughly off of the raggamoffyn creature from D&D 3.5 Monster Manual II.

But I want this monster to be CR 5. I would like it's main attack to be a Daze that only effects men. I want it to have no real damaging attacks, but still be challenging for a group of adventurers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    M.A.G.E.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

Default Re: Custom Clothes Monster, Please Help

Quote Originally Posted by Podonis View Post
    I need a custom monster built roughly off of the raggamoffyn creature from D&D 3.5 Monster Manual II.

But I want this monster to be CR 5. I would like it's main attack to be a Daze that only effects men. I want it to have no real damaging attacks, but still be challenging for a group of adventurers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

First, the Guttersnipe Raggamoffyn is CR 5 as is. Second, do you want your creature to have any physical attacks? A creature that just dazes its victims but causes no damage isn't much of a challenge or anyone above first level. However, as the DM you can just not use the creature's attacks and just have it rely on a special ability. Obviously, the special ability to daze would have to be an At Will ability so you could substitute that without having to create a brand new creature.

Debby
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

There are plenty of ways of messing over a party other than HP damage. Take (favorite example), a skunk. Lose fight->waste LOTS of time bathing (with perhaps some flavor damage for literally scrubbing yourself raw), or take social penalty.

What sorts of lasting effects would the original poster like to see in lieu of hit-point damage?

Also, why do you need it to be clothing based? I ask because I have something that I could refer you to, that is very much LIKE clothing in some ways, and completely unlike clothing in others... (See Empty Skin template in signature if you want to jump the gun).
    [Public Service Announcement]P.E.A.C.H stands for Please Examine And Critique Honestly[/Public Service Announcement]
    Currently Running: Equestria Begins (A High Tactics campaign)
    Extended Signature
    My Homebrew is meant to be used, but, if you do, PLEASE tell me how it goes.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Well, you see. On another site I'm running a Xanth based 3.5 game.

The final boss for a group of 12 level 1 characters is going to be a "Pantie" monster. In the true sense of the Xanth novels.

Thats why I want the monster to have a Daze attack (which only works on men) and maybe some other type of smaller/lesser attack.

I would like it to be more of a puzzle solving encounter than a hack and slash boss. Thanks.
    M.A.G.E.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

PirateGirl

The skunk isn't really what I'd call a "challenge" more of an inconvenience.

Although this isn't a CR 5 encounter on its own, several of these could be entertaining. I honestly don't remember where I found these.... Oops. It's by Talanall on Matthew S. McKenzie's D&D Archive Website.

See my note at the bottom for adding the panty schtick.

Garment Fairy
    Diminutive Fey
    Hit Dice: 1d6 (3 hp)
    Initiative: +2
    Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares), fly 40 ft. (good)
    Armor Class: 17 (+4 size, +2 Dex, +1 natural), touch 16, flat-footed 15
    Base Attack/Grapple: +0/-15
    Attack: Dagger -1 melee (1 damage), or light crossbow +6 ranged (1d4/19-20)
    Full Attack: Dagger -1 melee (1 damage), or light crossbow +6 ranged (1d4/19-20)
    Space/Reach: 1 ft./0 ft.
    Special Attacks: Makeover, spell-like abilities
    Special Qualities: Damage reduction 5/cold iron, fashion sense, low-light vision, spell resistance 15
    Saves: Fort +0, Ref +4, Will +2
    Abilities: Str 5, Dex 15, Con 10, Int 15, Wis 10, Cha 17
    Skills: Bluff +7, Concentration +4, Craft (tailoring) +11, Diplomacy +7, Escape Artist +6, Gather Information +7, Hide +10, Knowledge (nobility and royalty) +6, Move Silently +2, Sense Motive +4
    Feats: Dodge(b), Skill Focus: Craft (tailoring)
    Environment: Any
    Organization: Solitary, clique (2-4), runway (6-11), or couture (20-80)
    Challenge Rating: 2
    Treasure: No coins, double goods, double items (including a masterwork sewing kit, included above)
    Alignment: Always chaotic
    Advancement: 2-3 HD (Diminutive), 4-6 HD (Tiny)

The minuscule elfin figure before you flutters a pair of gossamer wings as it sizes you up, giving the impression that it could sew you a shirt and trousers and guess your weight by the time its gaze travels from your feet to your face. Its own garments are exquisite--fine in cut and material.

Garment fairies are hedonistic, frivolous beings that enjoy giving fashion “advice” to any creature that comes within their reach, whether their “clients” want it or not. Although they are usually happy-go-lucky by nature, these diminutive fey creatures can be roused to shocking acts of cruelty in the defense of their aesthetic ideals. Most of the time, however, a garment fairy can be counted upon to behave quite amiably so long as its “client” creature is suitably obedient to its dictates about what clothing choices are best for its body type, skin tone, hair color, daily activities, and social life.

Garment fairies may inhabit almost any environment, although they tend to congregate in places near traveled areas, where they enjoy waylaying poorly dressed travelers and giving them makeovers. Those who are in a hurry to get to their destinations often view such consultation sessions as hazards of the roads, and when a particularly large and powerful couture of garment fairies takes up residence along a major trading route, it can force merchants who do business along the road in question to seek the services of professional fey hunters in order to make it possible for trade to proceed normally.

Good-aligned fey hunters often resolve such difficulties by diplomatic means, cajoling the fey into taking up residence elsewhere, including as fashion consultants to good-aligned rulers, politicians, and bards. Evil fey hunters typically solve the problem by violent means, either killing the garment fairies or capturing them. The latter fate is considered far worse than death by most of them, since capture at the hands of an evil-aligned fey hunter is frequently the first step in the enslavement of the poor fairy as wardrobe personnel in service to an ironfisted but fashion-conscious tyrant.

A typical garment fairy stands about nine inches tall, and weighs approximately ten ounces. The oldest, most powerful specimens can reach heights of up to a foot, and weigh in at just under a pound. Garment fairies design and produce their own clothing, and it is a point of pride for them to look their best at all times. Although they can be snippy with mortals who display poor fashion sense, they also love gossip and can be extremely talkative.

Combat

Garment fairies rely on their spell-like abilities to deter attack first, and then to try to put a halt to an attack if one does occur. They only enter combat in the extremity of self-defense, and prefer indirect means of confrontation when faced with danger. Owing to their animate objects spell-like ability, garment fairies are at their most dangerous when they are in a closet full of clothing.

Fashion Sense (Ex): A garment fairy has an insight bonus to Craft (tailor), Diplomacy, and Knowledge (nobility and royalty) equal to its Hit Dice. It also gains this bonus to Gather Information and Sense Motive checks associated with its makeover ability. Additionally, a garment fairy always knows what a piece of clothing is worth, without need for an Appraise check. It uses this sense to help it identify the best prospects for a makeover—most garment fairies prefer to make over the creature in a group who has the least valuable clothing. A garment fairy cannot ordinarily name a market price for a given article of clothing, but it can tell the relative value of each piece in a selection of garments with unerring precision, and possesses an infallible memory for the best and worst pieces of clothing it has seen.

Makeover (Su): A garment fairy can spend half an hour in conversation with any sentient creature, and then make a Gather Information or Sense Motive check against a DC equal to 10 + half the target creature’s HD + the creature’s Charisma modifier to represent the fruits of the garment fairy’s gossip session, during which it probes for clues about the personality and activities of the target creature. Success allows the garment fairy to create a unique signature outfit for the target creature. When worn by the creature to whom it was tailored (and only by that creature), this signature outfit confers a +1 bonus to Charisma-based skill checks. For any other creature of the same type and size as the intended wearer, this outfit is the equivalent of a noble’s outfit as described on pp. 129-131 of the Player’s Handbook v. 3.5. By incorporating a discussion of a specific upcoming social event in the target creature’s future, and passing a Knowledge (nobility and royalty) check in addition to the Gather Information and Sense Motive checks described above, a garment fairy can tailor this special outfit to maximize its effectiveness for the social event in question. In this case, wearing the special outfit means that the target creature enjoys a +3 circumstance bonus to Charisma-based skill checks for the duration of that specific social event, but the special outfit is thereafter no different from a mundane noble’s outfit in its function.

Creating a special outfit requires that the garment fairy have access to artisan’s tools for the Craft (tailoring) skill, and uses up materials costing at least half the value of a mundane noble’s outfit. A garment fairy usually circumvents this expense by using its foppish extravagance spell-like ability to harvest a little of the target creature’s mental vitality, which it then converts into the material goods which would usually be purchased or gathered in order to tailor a noble’s outfit. This process is similar in effect to the major creation and fabricate spells, but its results are permanent. Healing ability drain caused by the foppish extravagance spell-like ability causes the special outfit to crumble to dust in an instant. The Difficulty Class of the Craft (tailoring) skill check is identical to that assigned above for Gather Information, Knowledge (nobility and royalty), and Sense Motive checks used for this ability.

Multiple garment fairies can use the aid another action to assist in the skill checks needed for the successful use of this ability. Powerful characters availing themselves of a garment fairy’s services must typically be willing to endure an interview with (literally) dozens of flittering little gossips.

Spell-like Abilities: at will--prestidigitation; 3/day—charm person (DC 14), invisibility (self only); 1/day—animate objects (fabric objects only), foppish extravagance (DC 16); caster level 9th. The save DCs are Charisma-based.

New Spell:

Foppish Extravagance
    Enchantment
    Level: Brd 2, Sor/Wiz 3
    Components: V, S
    Casting Time: 1 standard action
    Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
    Target: One sentient creature
    Duration: 1 round/level; see text
    Saving Throw: Will negates
    Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell robs the target creature of its good sense in exchange for a temporary increase in the force of its personality. A creature must possess Int, Wis, and Cha scores of 3 or above to be a valid target for this spell. The target creature must succeed on a Will save or suffer two points of ability drain to its Wisdom and a +4 enhancement bonus to Charisma. The enhancement bonus lasts for a period equal to 1 round per caster level. The ability drain is permanent, but can be healed by the greater restoration and restoration spells.

Here is my suggestion:

Garment fairies with 4 or more hit dice also have the ability to ensure that the clothes they make are treated with proper care and respect. they also gain the following special ability:

Prudish Undergarments (Ex): Anyone caught viewing the undergarments made by a garment fairy while worn by a member of the opposite sex is automatically Dazed for 1d6 rounds. The undergarments themselves are non-magical in nature.

Debby
    Last edited by Debihuman; 2011-07-23 at 08:09 AM.
    P.E.A.C.H. Please Evaluate And Critique Honestly. Being nicer and kinder doesn't hurt either. Note I generally only critique 3.5 and Pathfinder material.
    Please, please, please when using non-core material, cite to the books. There are too many books to wade through to find the one with the feat, special ability or spell you use.
    my creations in homebrew signature thread

6. - Top - End - #6
    Pixie in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Hello Debby,

That is an awesome creature and definitely something I will be using. I don't know if I'll use it for the "Pantie" encounter, but I may. Thanks for posting it!
    M.A.G.E.