New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [BitP:R] Episode 11 - Back to Work

The woman blinks. "Ah... forgive my manners. I forgot where I was for a bit." She lets the long falx lean against her shoulder while she ties the sash around her waist. "... no "who are you?" I'm surprised you still recognize some bit of me." She probably doesn't know or didn't expect Allan to have such a keen sense of smell. It seems that with acquirement of a Zanpakuto, the Reiatsu pouring from her has died out. On the screen of Allan's Reiphone, Medric's signal drowns it out.

"Crossdale! We're coming through!"
    , a familiar voice blares through the phone. "Try to stay put! We can't get a signal from Yama or Inoue! We need you to find them!"

The woman's quirks an eyebrow as she hears the voice, finishing tying her sash and straightens her robes. "... oh right, you have one of those too. A pity. I was hoping we could have a nice, long chat at our leisure."

"Good bye."

The woman's form blurs as she leaps away from Allan and Sliva and to the sky. Meanwhile, Allan's Reiphone beeps to indicate a Senkaimon has opened at the location he fough Mimus and Absalom at. Should Allan go rummaging through Hotaru's robes, he'll find her Reiphone is still intact, it's just been shut off. Akio's Reiphone, unfortunately, is nowhere to be seen or heard - whether it dropped off somewhere when Medric struck him, or if the man rid himself of it in a bout of madness is a mystery.

He could catch up with the woman - he's faster now. It's a world of choices...
    "It's the fate of all things under the sky,
    to grow old and wither and die."

2. - Top - End - #212
    Bugbear in the Playground

Allan looks back and forth between Elder's retreating form and Inoue's soon-to-be body. Returning to her side, Allan rummages quickly through his superior's clothing. Finding her Reiphone, he quickly turns the power back on. After satisfying himself that there is, in fact, enough power left to keep the phone working until an extraction team could find her, he leaves the phone on top of Inoue, picks his own back up, switches it off, and puts it into his pocket. Standing up, he turns to look at Silva and Medric.

"I don't know what a Bount is doing here and I don't know why, but I don't really care. But if I were you, I'd clear out."

With that, Allan bolts off after Elder. She has a considerable head start, but Allan's ability to scent her trail allows him to tracker her for long enough to catch up.
    Last edited by Dorizzit; 2012-03-12 at 03:24 PM.
    Truly awesome Ark Tamaeus avatar by Bryn. Full size version here.

3. - Top - End - #213

Silva's eyes widen a little at the sight of the woman. This was something she clearly didn't expect. Even Medric watches silently.

She watches the figure leave for a moment. Then turns back to Allan when he speaks to her.

...Will do. She gives a mock salute to him.

Come on, Medric. Let's go.

Medric gives a sigh, then his form vanishes as he returns to Silva's dagger. Then Silva jogs off, hoping she didn't keep Yui waiting too long.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

I swear by my pretty floral bonnet, I will end you. - Malcolm Reynolds

Because I'm allergic to things I don't wanna do. *coughcough* - Caboose
    Photos from the 2014 Woodward Dream Cruise.

CHARACTERS
    I has a story! Updates when I can.
    3DS Friend Code: 2595-1862-5907

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ettin in the Playground

Silva can hear several people land behind her just as she gets out of sight. It's Sato Hachirou and the Hayashi twins, accompanied by couple of others. Hachirou gives a glance after the fleeing Bount, before turning her attention to Hotaru and Akio.

The former is still alive, barely. But she has no Reiryoku left, so Qi is limited in what it can do for her. The two medics pick her up and open a new Senkaimon, carrying her through immediatly. 4th Division instruments might yet save life of the petite officer, but her days as a Shinigami are over.

Akio is beyond help, however. Hachirou looks sadly at the man who just a month ago was still one of his commanding officers, before being absorbed by fevered obsession and disgracing himself. So it came to this, then? But there's something... odd about his injuries. His Soul Chain and Sleep are intact, but his Shihakusho has been bleached as well. What could that mean?

Hachirou proceeds to perform last rites to his former superior before his body disintegrates to Reishi...

---

[Back at the Hotel]

Once Silva gets back to the hotel, she might notice Yui's clothes folded on one of the beds. The bathroom door is locked, and sound of running water can be heard through it...

---

[Meanwhile, elsewhere]

Streets and small houses flash past as Allan pursues his enemy through the suburbs. The town slowly turns into fields and forest and sun inches towards West before he gets the woman back in his sight. She's roughly quarter of a mile ahead, stopping on a tree top across a field Allan is running over.

"You as well? Why do you bother? I have no desire to fight you!", the woman shouts as Allan gets closer. "It would've been better if you'd stayed with my daughter."

5. - Top - End - #215

[Back at the Hotel]

Her mind still processing everything that happened today, Silva is distracted enough to not notice the clothes or the sounds of a shower right away.

Dagger still in hand, she walks to her bed and drops onto it, laying spread eagle on her back, staring at the ceiling.

Well...that was an eventful day.

You can say that again.

After a few minutes, Silva's expression changes. She turns her head to look at Yui's bed, seeing her clothes there. The sounds of the shower register.

Silva sits up, looking at the door to the bathroom. Her nerves are still a little on edge, and she's a little paranoid at the moment. So, she gets up and walks to the bathroom door, dagger held in her right hand. With her left, she knocks on the door.

Yui? You in there? She asks loud enough to be heard over the running water.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show
    You know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with 'til ya understand who's in ruttin' command here! - Jayne Cobb

CHARACTERS

6. - Top - End - #216

Quote Originally Posted by Frozen_Feet View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    [Meanwhile, elsewhere]

Streets and small houses flash past as Allan pursues his enemy through the suburbs. The town slowly turns into fields and forest and sun inches towards West before he gets the woman back in his sight. She's roughly quarter of a mile ahead, stopping on a tree top across a field Allan is running over.

"You as well? Why do you bother? I have no desire to fight you!", the woman shouts as Allan gets closer. "It would've been better if you'd stayed with my daughter."
    Allan lands, having been airwalking previously in order to avoid obstacles. He makes his final approach on foot, closing the distance until he is only a few meters away from Elder. He halts, his hands held at his sides.

"Desire has very little to do with this. If anything, I owe you. You woke me up. But, at the same time, you killed Akio Yama, and de-powered Inoue Hotaru. More importantly, you're a Hollow. The fact that you exist means that a Shinigami failed. Thus, it is our duty...my duty to correct that error. I probably can't defeat you, but I have to try."

He folds his arms.

"I have to admit, though, I'm curious. What do you mean by your 'daughter?'"

7. - Top - End - #217
    Ettin in the Playground

[At the hotel]

No reply comes from the bathroom, and the door stays locked. Silva can try again as many times as she wants, with the same results. Behind the door, water keeps running...

---

[Elsewhere...]

The woman glances down from the treetop, noticing Allan's sword. "It seems your Zanpakuto has recovered", she says, lifting her blade before her. "I wonder how much anquish it caused to you to have it broken. You seemed... pretty upset when it cracked."

"Imagine now, if you will, that you had to murder someone each time you lost it. Furthermore, suppose that someone was also very dear to you. Someone you would like to see happy and well from the bottom of your heart"
    She runs a finger along the blade of her weapon.

"That girl back there is... or was, once upon a time, my daughter. She's also this blade. I've been looking for her for quite some time - longer, perhaps, than you've been alive." Her tone is dispassionate, but there something in her frown which suggest she isn't quite as apathetic as she sounds. But is it real, or just feigned? Allan can't see her Hollow hole through her robes, but can a heartless being even feel sorrow?

The woman lets the blade drop to her side. "This 27th time this has happened. If she does not survive, she will return to being part of me, and we will have to go through this all over again." She doesn't tell, however, that this is the first time her daughter has been reincarnated as a Shinigami. It might mean something, it might not. In truth, she has no idea.

"But I find it funny you think a Shinigami must've failed for me to be here, true as it maybe. Let me ask your opinion - when do you think the first Shinigami ca-..."

"Crossdale! Come in! Report!"
    , a shout comes through Allan's Reiphone. "Back up is on the way! Try to stay alive, you hear me!?!"

"... oh yes, that thing"
    , the woman sighs in a frustrated tone, as if she found the interruption supremely distasteful.

"I must politely ask you to turn that off. Otherwise..." - a drop of grey liquid flow down her long blade, forming a drop at the tip - "... I'll do it myself."

8. - Top - End - #218

[At the Hotel]

Frustrated, Silva will try a few more times. Each time, her voice will get more urgent and demanding.

Finally, she lets out a growl and takes a step back, facing the door.

Alright, Yui! I'm coming in!

She lifts up her leg and gives the door a solid kick. Two if needed.

Once she gets the door busted open, she'll step inside the bathroom.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show

CHARACTERS

9. - Top - End - #219

Spoiler
    Show
    [Elsewhere...]

The woman glances down from the treetop, noticing Allan's sword. "It seems your Zanpakuto has recovered", she says, lifting her blade before her. "I wonder how much anguish it caused to you to have it broken. You seemed... pretty upset when it cracked."

"Imagine now, if you will, that you had to murder someone each time you lost it. Furthermore, suppose that someone was also very dear to you. Someone you would like to see happy and well from the bottom of your heart"
    She runs a finger along the blade of her weapon.

"That girl back there is... or was, once upon a time, my daughter. She's also this blade. I've been looking for her for quite some time - longer, perhaps, than you've been alive." Her tone is dispassionate, but there something in her frown which suggest she isn't quite as apathetic as she sounds. But is it real, or just feigned? Allan can't see her Hollow hole through her robes, but can a heartless being even feel sorrow?

The woman lets the blade drop to her side. "This 27th time this has happened. If she does not survive, she will return to being part of me, and we will have to go through this all over again." She doesn't tell, however, that this is the first time her daughter has been reincarnated as a Shinigami. It might mean something, it might not. In truth, she has no idea.

"But I find it funny you think a Shinigami must've failed for me to be here, true as it maybe. Let me ask your opinion - when do you think the first Shinigami ca-..."

"Crossdale! Come in! Report!"
    , a shout comes through Allan's Reiphone. "Back up is on the way! Try to stay alive, you hear me!?!"

"... oh yes, that thing"
    , the woman sighs in a frustrated tone, as if she found the interruption supremely distasteful.

"I must politely ask you to turn that off. Otherwise..." - a drop of grey liquid flow down her long blade, forming a drop at the tip - "... I'll do it myself."
    Allan scratches at the back of his head at Elder's comment on his fixed sword.

"My sword spirit was pretty ticked at me. The break was the last straw; he hit me with some pretty nasty mental feedback because of it."

Despite his interjection, Allan remains silent for the rest of Elder's speech. He seems genuinely interested, if not eager. He taps a finger against his chin, abnormally pensive. Then the phone goes off. He nods at Elder.

"Yeah, yeah. Give me a second."

Allan lifts his phone from his pocket and activates it.

"I appreciate the thought, sir, but I'm either not in any danger, or I'm probably going to be dead before backup shows up. I'll give you my full report later...I hope."

Allan hangs up and shuts the phone off.

"Alright. You were saying...?"

10. - Top - End - #220
    Ettin in the Playground

[Hotel]

The door doesn't stand up well to Silva's assault. It breaks on the second kick, and she gets in. If she opens the shower curtains, she'll find Yui's body slumped on the floor. There's a gash on her forehead, as if she's hit something. Judging from the water on the floor, the shower's been on for quite a while now.

---

[Elsewhere]

"Interesting. I didn't think you'd be this... willing. You're a far cry from your superior", the woman remarks. The salty drop hanging from the tip of her sword falls to the ground harmlessly. "Something's changed about you."

"But what I was saying... yes. Have you ever wondered when the first Shinigami came to being? Was he there when the first creature emerged from the sea? Or when the first man descended from the trees? What was afterlife like before people?"

"Because I've done some counting... you know of the world across the darkness, right? The miserable one, not the one where you hail from. There is a... limitless number of black, shambling things there. Way more than there have ever been Shinigami. They're all supposed to be Hollows, but not just any Hollows... but kind which eat other."

"Have you ever wondered how there got to be so many? Either your lot has been doing phenomenally bad job, or it really doesn't add up..."

11. - Top - End - #221

[Elsewhere]

Allan shrugs as he places the phone back in his pocket.

"You just said you were going to get rid of it if I didn't turn it off. No point in getting company property destroyed."

Allan folds his arms and listens to Elder's explanation.

"Huh. Never thought about it like that. Well. When you say Shinigami, do you mean Shinigami? Or Psychopomps? I mean, there aren't that many of us, but we just cover Japan. America, France, India...practically every country has a different organization looking over it. I should know; I tangled with most of them back in the day."

12. - Top - End - #222
    Ettin in the Playground

"I mean as a kind of creature. Shinigami, Valkyrja, Sidhe, Angel, Grim Reaper... all different names for the same sort of being." The woman waves her free hand. She seems mildly annoyed by Allan's pedantry.

"In any case...have you wondered that? Have you ever considered that there might so many Hollows because they came before your kind?"

13. - Top - End - #223

[Hotel]

The door doesn't stand up well to Silva's assault. It breaks on the second kick, and she gets in. If she opens the shower curtains, she'll find Yui's body slumped on the floor. There's a gash on her forehead, as if she's hit something. Judging from the water on the floor, the shower's been on for quite a while now.
    Silva freezes for just a moment at the sight. She obviously wasn't expecting this.

Then she quickly moves to Yui and carefully try to check for a pulse on her neck.

Yui...come on Yui...wake up...

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show

CHARACTERS

14. - Top - End - #224

Spoiler
    Show
    "I mean as a kind of creature. Shinigami, Valkyrja, Sidhe, Angel, Grim Reaper... all different names for the same sort of being." The woman waves her free hand. She seems mildly annoyed by Allan's pedantry.

"In any case...have you wondered that? Have you ever considered that there might so many Hollows because they came before your kind?"
    Allan holds his hands up in apology for his accidental facetiousness.

"Alright, alright, sorry. Anyway, you're right, of course. Hollows came before Shinigami. The evolution of Hollows is a natural process. The creation of Shinigami isn't. It only makes sense. Is that...relevant?"

15. - Top - End - #225
    Ettin in the Playground

[Hotel]

Yui's body is irresponsive to Silva's attempts to wake her up. Silva can find no pulse. Her body is cold, colder than the water around it. She feels dead, but in a doll-like manner, as if she'd never been alive in the first place...

---

[Elsewhere]

"What makes you say that?"
    , the woman asks and chuckles. She runs her hand across her blade. "What makes you think your kind is less than natural? Death is the most natural thing in the world, and you - you are the metaphysical representation of that reality."

She looks at her reflection from the blade. "That dichtomy you make... Hollows and Shinigami. It makes sense, of course. There's a clear difference, just like between beasts and men."

"Yet... you and I. We're the same in so many ways. I doubt a mortal would realize the difference with a passing glance."

Allan can feel the woman eyeing her from the corner of her eyes. It's feels she's expecting him to balk and deny it any second. "I've heard it said it's because we Arrancar imitate you Shinigami. But when I tore off my mask, I did not know what your kind were. Is it coincidence I ended up like you? Maybe. But I believe otherwise."

The woman lifts her blade on her shoulder and walks down from the tree, circling Allan but staying a respectable six yards away from him - once again, the distance is meaningless, it's the gesture that matters. "When a spirit is driven mad by their inability to move on, they lose their heart. They become nothing more than shard of a person, governed by feelings and things that lead to their demise. In their insanity, they devour those they loved and then each other to become whole again. It seems so futile... but is it?"

"As they grow in power - whether by eating others or by tearing of their masks and seeing the world for what it is again - they shed their bestial forms and become more like people they used to be. They get so close to becoming whole again, yet it slides from their graps like mercury. But what if one completed the journey? What if one mastered oblivion, and out of shards of persons a whole new being would arise? If it could crack the masks of its lesser kin and free them from aspects of death that dragged them down in misery?"

"Would it not be fitting to call such a creature God of Death?"

The woman looks up to the sky. "Imagine what would happen in that world of emptiness and misery if such a being appeared there. We Hollows are drawn to power. We envy it, yearn it, and will fight for it. Each of us would be drawn to challenge such a being. Maybe we would destroy it in the end... but surely, it would destroy many of us."

"You know what happens when you slay a Hollow. Soon, that one God of Death would be many. And even if they'd lose each time... as long as they'd manage to destroy just one more Hollow than there would be them, their numbers would grow. I trust you can figure the rest out yourself."

16. - Top - End - #226

Hotel

Silva is stunned. Simply stunned. This was something she would never expect.

She's dead, Silva. Put her down.

Silva nods a little and backs away. She felt a sadness at this. Nothing major. She didn't know Yui that well. But, she counted the woman as a friend.

Silva takes a deep breath, regaining her composure. She walked back to the main room, grabbed the phone, and dialed the front desk.

Hello? Yes, I need you to contact the police. My roommate had an accident.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show

CHARACTERS

17. - Top - End - #227

Spoiler
    Show
    [Elsewhere]

"What makes you say that?"
    , the woman asks and chuckles. She runs her hand across her blade. "What makes you think your kind is less than natural? Death is the most natural thing in the world, and you - you are the metaphysical representation of that reality."

She looks at her reflection from the blade. "That dichtomy you make... Hollows and Shinigami. It makes sense, of course. There's a clear difference, just like between beasts and men."

"Yet... you and I. We're the same in so many ways. I doubt a mortal would realize the difference with a passing glance."

Allan can feel the woman eyeing her from the corner of her eyes. It's feels she's expecting him to balk and deny it any second. "I've heard it said it's because we Arrancar imitate you Shinigami. But when I tore off my mask, I did not know what your kind were. Is it coincidence I ended up like you? Maybe. But I believe otherwise."

The woman lifts her blade on her shoulder and walks down from the tree, circling Allan but staying a respectable six yards away from him - once again, the distance is meaningless, it's the gesture that matters. "When a spirit is driven mad by their inability to move on, they lose their heart. They become nothing more than shard of a person, governed by feelings and things that lead to their demise. In their insanity, they devour those they loved and then each other to become whole again. It seems so futile... but is it?"

"As they grow in power - whether by eating others or by tearing of their masks and seeing the world for what it is again - they shed their bestial forms and become more like people they used to be. They get so close to becoming whole again, yet it slides from their grasp like mercury. But what if one completed the journey? What if one mastered oblivion, and out of shards of persons a whole new being would arise? If it could crack the masks of its lesser kin and free them from aspects of death that dragged them down in misery?"

"Would it not be fitting to call such a creature God of Death?"

The woman looks up to the sky. "Imagine what would happen in that world of emptiness and misery if such a being appeared there. We Hollows are drawn to power. We envy it, yearn it, and will fight for it. Each of us would be drawn to challenge such a being. Maybe we would destroy it in the end... but surely, it would destroy many of us."

"You know what happens when you slay a Hollow. Soon, that one God of Death would be many. And even if they'd lose each time... as long as they'd manage to destroy just one more Hollow than there would be them, their numbers would grow. I trust you can figure the rest out yourself."
    [Elsewhere]

Allan puts his hand on his sword when Elder approaches him, but lets it fall away when its clear that she is not attacking him. The predatory nature of the circling isn't lost on him; Elder is going in for the kill, if only in a metaphorical sense. If Elder expects Allan to be surprised, she isn't disappointed. He recoils a bit as she elaborates on her point. Clearly, he's never thought of any of this from the perspective Elder has placed before him. When she finishes, he remains silent for nearly a minute before speaking.

"No. I don't think you're right. Hollows, Menos or Arrancar or otherwise, don't incorporate any aspects of those they consume into themselves. The only thing that they gain is power. Besides, even if they did pick up pieces of the other Hollows' personalities, that wouldn't solve the fundamental problem here. The heart. No Hollow has a heart; it doesn't matter how many times you add zero to zero, you're still only going to be left with zero."

He stands a little straighter, gaining confidence in his argument.

"Plus, even if this did happen, and the first Shinigami ascended from a Hollow, the scenario you described just doesn't work. Even if that Proto-Shinigami cleansed a lot of Hollows, that wouldn't make more Shinigami. It would just send them to the Seireitei as Pluses. The process of turning a Plus into a Shinigami requires training. Training that your first Shinigami would have no knowledge of, assuming he was even able to get to the Seireitei in the first place. After all, most Shinigami can't get between the dimensions by themselves."

Allan folds his arms.

"Moreover, Hollows are created naturally. In a void, a Jibakurei will always become a Hollow eventually. Shinigami can't come about naturally like that; they need to be trained, or at least the skills need to be developed as a deliberate choice; the Demi-Hollow has no choice. Plus, a Shinigami is basically just a...well, Plus except for their Zanpakuto and Kidō. Hollows are completely different from the Pluses they come from."

He arches an eyebrow.

"Unless you've got something beyond speculation to support this theory of yours...?"

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ettin in the Playground

[Hotel]

The receptionist does as asked. After a while, the police arrive along with some medical staff. They ask a lot of questions from Silva, of who she is, why she was with Yui, and why are they here. The medics confirm Yui is deceased, and prepare to take her body away.

One sympathetic officers offers he condolences to Silva and asks if she is okay, or whether she needs a ride home.

---

[Elsewhere]

The woman rolls her eyes on Allan's remark about training. "Oh, once upon a time people didn't have fire either, but look where we are now."

"But you are different from a mere ghost. You have power. Your blades and your spells are merely manifestations of that power."
    The woman stops. "Have you ever wondered why you have that power, but others don't?"

"Have you ever wondered what happens to a Hollow's power when it's purified?"

She points at Allan's heart. "I've talked to a lot of ghosts, and most do not feel hunger. But I've heard stories your kind does. Hollows are the only other type of spirit that feels that as well. Another line that connects our kinds -coincidence?"

The woman turns on her heels and walks past Allan, returning towards the treeline. "Oh, I admit I lack the final proof I need. That's why I intend to become it myself. I've torn off my mask, I have my Zanpakuto, I have human form, I can heal any other wound that goes through my body... one day, I'll find a way to heal this one too. And then I'll be a Shinigami as well." She places a hand on her abdomen.

"But there's one prediction I can make based on my theory. When a Hollow loses it heart, it doesn't just vanish - it becomes its mask. If my theory is close on the mark, it should be possible to return a mask into its rightfull shape as a heart."

"I've actually seen that happen in mortals. But they did not have the ability to purify the dead. What I'd like to see is a Shinigami with the same ability. To put on and take off a mask, become a Hollow or whole at will - it might not reveal me the means to do the same, but it would prove that the two states are not mutually excusive as you seem to think. It would show that instead of Plus and Minus, our powers are more like Yin and Yang - different, but complementing each other instead of negating."

She turns her head to glance at Allan over her shoulder. "But I think that's enough blathering. I'm afraid here's where we part ways."

"But I'm curious... what did that spirit you mentioned tell you? You are not the rash youth I met a month ago. It's not a mere footsoldier of celestial host I see before me. It's an experienced warrior."

"Who are you, and what did you do to that boy?"

19. - Top - End - #229

[Hotel]

Silva answers the questions asked. Without implying that she was involved with spiritual beings, of course.

She gives a small smile at the sympathetic officer. Thanks. I'll be fine. And a ride home would be great.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show

CHARACTERS

20. - Top - End - #230

[Elsewhere]

Allan listens with the same degree of thoughtfulness to Elder's comments. When she seems to be done, he interjects before she changes subject.

"Before we move on, I just have a couple more things to say on the matter. One: you can tack Hollow powers onto a Shinigami, but that doesn't make them a mixture of the two. Two: Hollows and Shinigami are fundamentally opposed. Yeah, Shinigami need to eat, but so does any plus with a high level of spiritual energy, its a natural progression."

He raises his hands.

"Anyway, I've said my piece. You were saying?"

Elder indicates that she is finished with the conversation, but asks Allan a final question. He thinks for a moment before answering.

"It's not what the spirit told me. Don't get me wrong. Soultaker has been a huge help. But the big growth was what I needed to talk to him in the first place. I really need to thank Hachirou, my superior. He helped me get sorted out."

Allan laces his fingers behind his head.

"As for what happened to me...well...it would be pretty inaccurate to say that I'm a normal Shinigami. Way back...geez...it's got to be nearly a century ago I was alive. Long story short, I had a co-habitation deal in my body with a Vasto Lorde. Phenomenal power, knowledge of the spirit world, and, oh yeah, occasionally my control slipped and it tried to wipe out whole cities. Back then, I was a bit more...dour. I wandered around, ate Hollows, and generally had a grand old time up until it got sick of being caged up in my mind twenty four/seven. It busted out and fought me to death in my mind. I won, but funny thing about having two halves of a very powerful soul try and kill each other: the body doesn't survive the process. I floated off to the Soul Society, got bored, and enlisted."

Allan sighs.

"I was pretty much being an idiot. When I was human, I had power, but no skill. I had skill as a Shinigami, but the job was just a hobby to me; I considered my work done, and didn't put any effort into it. Worst of all, I was arrogant; I knew I was skilled, but I couldn't see that it meant nothing without the will to back it up. The sorry creature that resulted was the one you fought last month. That was a wake up call. I can now see the meaning of the responsibilities I have as a Shinigami. The responsibility that comes with my power. I've combined the conviction of my life with my current skill. And I'm a stronger, better person for it. For that, I owe you thanks, since you were the catalyst."

Allan reaches to his side and draws his Zanpakuto.

"That said. You're still a Hollow, Arrancar or no. I can't just let you go. This isn't personal, but it's my duty to try and release you."

He slides into a battle stance.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ettin in the Playground

[Hotel]

The officer goes to talk with his superiors for a moment. After a while he returns, and beckons Silva to follow him. He can't take her all the way to Fushichou town, but he can take her to the buss station. The next buss will leave for home in 15 minutes.

Outside, the weather is warm and sunny. Only a few clouds wander over the sky to cast a shadow over Silva.

---

[Elsewhere]

The woman blinks. "Any plus with high spiritual power...? Such an odd dichtomy you make." She shrugs. "To me, that never was more than another name. Oh well..."

She turns away from Allan and starts walking. "I commend you on your self-discovery. You will make a fine replacement for your superiors." She is smiling, but her smile fades as she hears steel sliding from its sheath. With a sigh, she leaps into the shade of the forest. It seems that if Allan desires to fight, another running contest will take place.

22. - Top - End - #232

[Bus Station]

Silva gets her ticket, then sits on a bench and waits, watching the sky.

She was still kind of shaken by the day. Who wouldn't be? But, she'd learned how to just go with things like this. She was alive, so that was good enough.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show

CHARACTERS

23. - Top - End - #233

[Elsewhere]

Allan sighs and places his hand on his forehead as Elder flees.

Aw, come on, it's not like you're in a lot of danger...

Allan pursues, suppressing his power until it cannot be sensed.

A few minutes later, Elder may have begun to think that she had successfully eluded Allan...until his sword plants itself in a tree a few feet in front of her face. The Shinigami himself is about twenty feet away, crouched on a tree branch.

"You're not going to be able to outrun me in human form."

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ettin in the Playground

((OOC: Kerfuffle, you can have Silva return to MW thread now and tell Sora the bad news. I'll have Elder catch up with her there once the fight with Allan is done.))

The woman jumps over the thrown sword, ending up standing sideways on the trunk of nearby tree more than five yards away. "You overestimate yourself", she says deadpanly. But Allan surely has improved - last time, the same speed left him standing in the dust.

A salty grey drop flows to the tip of her sword. It blurs as she swings it in a wide arc, sending the drop flying at Allan like a musket ball. It's aimed at the pocket he put his Reiphone into.
    Last edited by Frozen_Feet; 2012-03-19 at 09:52 PM.

25. - Top - End - #235

((Okey dokey.))

The bus arrives, and with a sigh, Silva stands up, stretches, and boards.

She figures she should tell Sora about this. He was kind-of-sort-of friends with Yui, too.

Quotes and goodies:
    Spoiler
    Show

CHARACTERS

26. - Top - End - #236

Allan smiles cheekily at Elder's deadpan dismissal of him.

"I doubt it. I know exactly what my odds of winning are."

Allan, anticipating the direction of Elder's throw, makes a small sidestep to avoid the droplet.

"Come on. That comes out of my paycheck."

Focusing, Allan launches himself off the tree branch and to his sword. Grabbing it, he pulls it out of the tree, then drops to the ground.

27. - Top - End - #237
    Ettin in the Playground

Allan barely has time to find his footing when the woman is next to her, swinging her great weapon with both hands to press Allan's sword to the ground. She also aims an inhumanly powerful sideways kick to the man's chest to knock him back.

28. - Top - End - #238

Allan simply drops the sword, offering no resistance to Elder's slash. When she kicks at him, he "limbo" ducks backward, allowing the strike to go over him entirely. Before Elder can withdraw her leg, he flips backwards, trying to catch Elder's leg between his own and throw her over his head with them.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Ettin in the Playground

The throw is succesful, but the woman is canny enough to roll with it. She ends up standing on her hands, her blade flat under them, and the rolls forward, trying to throw Allan over her in turn!

Spoiler
    Show
    Wild gymnastics FTW.

30. - Top - End - #240

Allan smirks in triumph as he successfully heaves Elder over him. This expression quickly fades as he realizes what is about to happen.

"Oh man."

Allan is lifted from his feet, but releases his grip on Elder before the rotation can complete. As a result, he is simply launched straight up into the sky. Spinning wildly, Allan tucks into a ball and gains control of his momentum, slowing himself to a halt just above the tops of the trees. He rubs his head as the dizziness fades.

"Well...that could have gone better."

Anticipating Elder continuing to put pressure on him, Allan dives out of the sky, aiming for his sword.