New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: [3.5e Bloodline Guide] What in the Nine Hells is a Bloodline?

Question:
    In regards to the Blood King and Mixed Blood. If you mixed multiple Dragon lineages together.
    1. Would you be able to breathe more than one at the same time?
    2. And the Blood Gift -Dragon Scales would all the Natural Armour bonuses stack with each other?

2. - Top - End - #182
    Firbolg in the Playground

1) I doubt it
    2) bonuses of the same type do not stack unless stated otherwise
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by GFawkes View Post
    You didn't poke fate with a stick. You set fate on fire, then whacked it with a 2x4 several times.
    Quote Originally Posted by blackwind1kaze View Post
    good thing they did body attribute instead of Physical attribute, otherwise the stats would look like:

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

The Hub, for PTA & PTU community building. If you're interested, take a look.

3. - Top - End - #183
    Dwarf in the Playground

Checked the dragon scales gift. It says "you gain a bonus to" the NA. That means its in addition to doesn't it? So they are all just "adding" on to whatever existing NA you already have. At least that is what it sounds like and would be interesting in my opinion.

4. - Top - End - #184

Anyone have an idea on a Racial Feat Inherent Bloodline?
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show
    You didn't poke fate with a stick. You set fate on fire, then whacked it with a 2x4 several times.
    good thing they did body attribute instead of Physical attribute, otherwise the stats would look like:

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Merchant View Post
    Checked the dragon scales gift. It says "you gain a bonus to" the NA. That means its in addition to doesn't it? So they are all just "adding" on to whatever existing NA you already have. At least that is what it sounds like and would be interesting in my opinion.
    The NA bonus, nor any of the other Armor bonuses from any bloodline-related feature, was intended to stack.

Quote Originally Posted by EdroGrimshell View Post
    Anyone have an idea on a Racial Feat Inherent Bloodline?
    I'm surprised this thread is still active.
    Last edited by Welknair; 2012-03-10 at 12:23 AM.

Fourthland: A Game of Abstraction
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Daverin View Post
    Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Virdish
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morph Bark
    There have also been times where I was jealous of your ingenuity and skills.

Extended Homebrewer's Signature

6. - Top - End - #186

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    I'm surprised this thread is still active.
    Eh, just wanted to know what you'd put in a racial feat inherent bloodline, or if it'd be a new bloodline altogether. Actually a highborn racial bloodline would be interesting...
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #187
    Ogre in the Playground

Eh, just wanted to know what you'd put in a racial feat inherent bloodline, or if it'd be a new bloodline altogether. Actually a highborn racial bloodline would be interesting...
    More interesting racial identities would indeed warrant their own bloodline. In the Homebrewer's Campaign, we ruled that Inherent could be used with about any feat chain and Owthro used it with his Ozodrin Abomination feat chain. Really a matter of taste.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

Welknair, you are like... some living avatar of win. Who's made of win. And wields win as if it were but a toy. Win.
    Welknair you are a god among men. Thank you for creating a playground for the completely insane.

8. - Top - End - #188

Quote Originally Posted by Welknair View Post
    More interesting racial identities would indeed warrant their own bloodline. In the Homebrewer's Campaign, we ruled that Inherent could be used with about any feat chain and Owthro used it with his Ozodrin Abomination feat chain. Really a matter of taste.
    I meant as skills and ability bonuses, because i have no idea.
    Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

P. hysical
    M. ind
    S. pirit

XD

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

I meant as skills and ability bonuses, because i have no idea.
    Ah, you mean the Lineage characteristics. Just choose some things thematic to the chain. For example, if the chain is intended for Rogues, representing a growing tie to the Plane of Shadow, the Abilities would probably be Dex, Int, Wis. Or something like that. By the third ability, you're really just picking based on preference. Skills works similarly. Hide, Move Silently, Knowledge (The Planes), and Sleight of Hand would be suitable for the aforementioned chain. And again, the Affinity would be thematic. Creatures from the Plane of Shadow, in this case.

I see what you mean - It is a bit more difficult with Racial lines, as they usually don't have such transparent tendencies. I'd suggest imagining a stereotypical example of the race and what they'd likely have as their highest attributes and skills. Affinities are pretty self-explanatory here.

Quotes
    Spoiler
    Show

10. - Top - End - #190
    Dwarf in the Playground

Hey, I don't suppose you are taking requests for bloodline? Or would be willing to help me out with one I wanna make?

I have a half-orc character that I might be playing again in a upcoming game, and his grandfather was a skullcrusher ogre.
    So I was thinking about coming up with a skullcrusher ogre bloodline to use for my character.

Skullcrusher ogre is in monster manual III just in case you didn't know.

Thanks.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Ogre in the Playground

To my knowledge, he used to, but now isn't.

Right now I'd recommend the Titankith line, since it's for giants, and I'm... not sure whether ogres are giants (I'd have to check to remember), but I think they are. If they're not, they're monstrous humanoids, but it should still fit.
    Demilich avatar by Smuchmuch. Thank you VERY much!

Old Extended Signature, last updated in 2012
    Awright, Supagoof, that's just awesome. Thanks!
    Spoiler
    Show

Infernal avatar by Savana. Thanks!

Nude version by SmuchMuch.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Bugbear in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by flabort View Post
    To my knowledge, he used to, but now isn't.

Right now I'd recommend the Titankith line, since it's for giants, and I'm... not sure whether ogres are giants (I'd have to check to remember), but I think they are. If they're not, they're monstrous humanoids, but it should still fit.
    Pretty sure that Ogres have the Giant type.
    Newest Work: Pyromancer - My submission for Base Class Contest X
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

Quote Originally Posted by chess435 View Post
    May Chuck Norris smile upon you.

Finall got an Extended Homebrew Signature, courtesy of Cipherthe3vil

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pyromancer999 View Post
    Pretty sure that Ogres have the Giant type.
    They do. Skullcrushers aren't much different, at least enough so to change type.
    Goblin Cannon Crew avatar by Vrythas.
    Spoiler
    Show

Gnome Gun Mage avatar by NEO|Phyte
    Quote Originally Posted by Mulletmanalive View Post
    Damn you Cieyrin! Cieyrin!!!!!read as Khaaaaan!

My badges! :D
    My Homebrew
    The Gunslinger's Handbook
    Archetype Combo List!

14. - Top - End - #194
    Dwarf in the Playground

Alright, I think that is what I will do, thanks to all who replied.

15. - Top - End - #195
    Pixie in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I love your work on bloodlines, but i have a question. Are the base abilities of the base race (so +feat from human or +low light vision from elves) included in your bloodlines? Does the bloodline replace racial abilities or is it in addition to them?

There doesn't seem to be anything in Unearthed Arcana or anywhere on the internet to say one way or the other. The fact that Bloodlines are located in the "Racial" category of the book hints that the Bloodline is a "race" but all the pictures are of "human with X bloodline"

Anyway, what do people think? Base racial abilities included or no?
    Last edited by Ducky; 2012-05-06 at 05:08 PM.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Bugbear in the Playground

Bloodlines are an addition to your race. You get the benefits of the bloodline on top of whatever race you may be.
    Homebrew:
    Spoiler
    Show

Misc:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by A Friend Of Mine
    Bloody Mess: The gift that keeps on gibbing.
    Fatigue makes me wax philosophic and/or babble. If I've posted something strange and tangential, that is probably the cause. This entry would be an example.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Pixie in the Playground

I wish this explanation was more visible on search engines than the Bloodlines Handbook that explains bloodlines as level adjustments. That explanation doesn't fit with the text that clearly categorizes bloodlines as class levels and not level adjustments.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Barbarian in the Playground

eek Re: [3.5e Bloodline Guide] What in the Nine Hells is a Bloodline?

As a layman, I still don't understand how to use and apply these things. A step-by-step guide in English, without the "elite" jargon associated with it--as if you're talking to a beginner--would be nice. I'm by no means a beginner, but this Bloodline thing is confusing as balls.

Say I'm a sixth level human sorcerer and I want to go with the Djinn or Efreeti bloodline from SRD. Step-by-step, what am I doing? Minor, Intermediate and Major, I'm confused as all hell. How much experience do I have, what abilities? What level am I really? Where do I go from here?

You know, as if you were talking to an idiot. Or trying to describe the theory of wormholes to, say, Sloth from the Goonies.

Please and thank you. :3
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord.Sorasen
    "Sticks and stones may break my bones but your words can never hurt me because you're not a wizard."
    -on Item Familiars:
    Quote Originally Posted by Stealth Marmot View Post
    Of course, binding a portion of your personality to a ring of invisibility always works out great. Just ask Sauron.

19. - Top - End - #199
    Pixie in the Playground

they most certainly DO count towards ecl. when they say they dont increase character level normally, BUT here are some benefits, its just a poorly worded "here's something bad, BUT here's something good"....what is meant is this: when u increase in character level, u go through a process of "leveling up" (described in the player's handbook on page 58) but when u take a level of bloodline, its different. no hd, no saves, no class features, etc. what happens is this: (before i explain, people should know that when u level up, your xp doesnt "reset" to 0. as u gain xp, u hit "checkpoints" so to speak. when u hit these "checkpoints", u "level up".) now, when a 2nd level character with a "bloodline" has gained enough xp to level up to a 3rd level character, they have to take a level of bloodline (assuming they havnt yet). IF the level of bloodline DIDNT count towards ecl, then you would have a rogue2/bloodline1 (or whatever2/bloodline1) with an ecl 2 but enough xp to level up. so, the whatever2/bloodline1 would then take the 3rd level of rogue (or whatever), and go through the process of leveling up (marking increases to hp, saves, bab, skills, etc). now, what this would look like is this: dm: "u need to take a level of bloodline now", and the player would say "ok" and then just take the 3rd level of rogue (or whatever), and mark down the benefit granted by the bloodline at character level 3. "taking a level of bloodline" would then be a process entirely composed of NOTHING! now, on page 19 of unearthed arcana, it explains what the penalties are for NOT taking a level of bloodline by the deadline given. there IS a downside to NOT taking the level on time, so, that means it's POSSIBLE to NOT take the level on time. so why wouldnt someone meet the deadline for taking the bloodline level? maybe their character REALLY needs another HD in order to keep surviving, who knows, but the point is this: bloodlines are NOT just "free benefits". they come at a cost. that cost is outlined in the first paragraph under the heading "bloodline levels" on page 19 of unearthed arcana. a static la ISNT ENOUGH. that's what it says. and these bloodline levels ARE worse, as they cant be reduced through la buyoff (natually, since they are levels, not level adjustments).

some people just cant accept the way things are. for example, all these people who think they can cast higher level spells with an illumian extra spell slot trick or whatever. theres this cool little sentence on page 8 of the player's handbook "....Intelligence score of 15, so she’s smart enough to get one bonus 1st level spell and one bonus 2nd-level spell. (She will not actually get the 2nd-level spell until she is 3rd level wizard, since that’s the minimum level a wizard must be to cast 2nd-level spells.)" now, heighten spell is in THAT book. so if u have a bonus 2nd level spell slot from a 15 int, and the feat heighten spell, can u heighten magic missile to 2nd level and cast it? ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! END. OF. DISCUSSION. there is NO argument to that, and there is NO argument to the fact that bloodlines are NOT as cheap as level adjustments!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. - Top - End - #200
    Halfling in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrassDuke View Post
    As a layman, I still don't understand how to use and apply these things. A step-by-step guide in English, without the "elite" jargon associated with it--as if you're talking to a beginner--would be nice. I'm by no means a beginner, but this Bloodline thing is confusing as balls.

Say I'm a sixth level human sorcerer and I want to go with the Djinn or Efreeti bloodline from SRD. Step-by-step, what am I doing? Minor, Intermediate and Major, I'm confused as all hell. How much experience do I have, what abilities? What level am I really? Where do I go from here?

You know, as if you were talking to an idiot. Or trying to describe the theory of wormholes to, say, Sloth from the Goonies.

Please and thank you. :3
    This thread is several years old, but it's probably worth pointing out that Welknair rewrites the Bloodline rules in the first post here to make them slightly more consistent and understandable, and I recommend using them as he explains them in the OP here.

To quickly try to address sources of confusion: You don't acquire a Bloodline at some point in your career. It's something you decide on at character creation, and has no immediate cost. However, you suffer some debilitating penalties if you try to level up normally with a Bloodline at certain levels. With a Major Bloodline, you have to take 3 "Bloodline Levels," one each at or before levels 3, 6, and 12. So, you create your Sorcerer with a Major Djinni Bloodline, level up to level 2 normally, but when you next level up, instead of becoming a Sorcerer 3, you become Sorcerer 2/Bloodline 1. This Bloodline level gives you a Hit Die with no hit points (not even from Constitution), no skill points, and no class skills. However, it does increase your caster level (but not spells known or per day), and, for other classes, anything else that's explicitly dependent on your number of class levels, like the damage a Paladin's Smite Evil does. This level isn't an LA, and can't be bought off.
    At level 5, you'll be Sorcerer 4/Bloodline 1 with a CL of 5. At level 6, you'll be Sorcerer 4/Bloodline 2 with a CL of 6, at level 12 you'll be Sorcerer 9/Bloodline 3, and at level 20 you'll be Sorcerer 17/Bloodline 3.

That's the way Welknair's fix works, and it's probably the most reasonable way to play them. The rules of bloodlines as written have some ambiguity to them, and there are lots of arguments over exactly what they mean. Specific points of contention include whether or not they count as levels for the purposes of how much experience it takes to level up, if they stack multiple times if you have, for example, both Sorcerer levels and Abjurant Champion levels, and how much experience you should get from encounters. Seriously, you aren't going to find consensus on those things, and I'd strongly advise using the houseruled version that Welknair presents in this thread, along with the other bloodlines he's homebrewed (they're in his signature) in place of everything in the SRD. It's more balanced and easier to understand.

EDIT: Oh, goodness, I'd only noticed that the post I replied to was in 2015, and that the more recent necro was in the post after it. Sorry!
    Last edited by Caudex Capite; 2015-12-02 at 01:48 AM.