New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 50 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920212223242526272843 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XIII: "Ironclads, Furiosos and Soul Grinders, oh my!"

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    got some last marines to assemble, undercoat and paint before moving on to start playin' my 1000 Blood Angel point list... and I wanted to see what yall thought of the list.

Spoiler
    Show
    Captain
    - Storm Bolter
    - Lightning Claw

Chaplain
    - Jump Pack

Death Company
    - Thunder Hammer
    - Jump Packs
    - +2 Marines

Assault Squad
    - Meltagun
    - Powerfist
    - +5 Marines

Scout Squad
    - Sniper Rifles
    - Missile Launcher
    - Camo Cloaks
    - +5 Marines

Tactical Squad
    - Missile Launcher
    - Chainsword
    - Flamer
    - +5 Marines

(Captain will deploy with tactical squad, Chaplain with DC)

i dunno. I'm new to the game. Only played it once, and there was only one building which neither side even attempted to blow up
    Yes there are rules for destroying buildings, it's exactly the same as destroying vehicles except that you have to roll a 5 or a 6 otherwise nothing happens. If it lands on either number the building blows up.

As for your list might I suggest you get rid of everything except the tactical squad, then replace everything with tactical squads and stand right in place over there for my hormagaunts? They just want to take a picture.
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

2. - Top - End - #512
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XIII: "Ironclads, Furiosos and Soul Grinders, oh my!"

Just out of curiosity: has anyone ever seen the Codex for the Angry Marines homebrew SM Chapter? I don't know very much at all about WH40K crunch, so I'm not sure if what's written in the Angry Marines codex is underpowered, overpowered, or balanced.

Link to the Codex is here. (NSFW: the Angry Marines Codex drops so many F-Bombs that a Basilisk batter would be proud.)

3. - Top - End - #513
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

We had this discussion back in July, why do i still need to justify my opinion to you?
    Because this is the internet. And 40K breeds competitive discussion, whether you like it or not. The problem is, that a Librarian is a better choice, and there is empirical evidence across the world that this is the case. You didn't make your point in July, and you're not making it now.

As much as I really hate saying it, you shouldn't ask for what people think for a fun list.

I wanted to see what yall thought of the list.
    Like I said, when you say something like that, we're going to tell you. Nowhere in your original list does it say you're playing for fun or those are the models you can afford or any number of such reasons why your list may or may not be the way it is.

Unlike Ricky S' list. Where he got this response.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

4. - Top - End - #514
    Dwarf in the Playground

In celebration of this discussion being brought up again, I dug out my BA codex and did a little thought experimenting.

Spoiler
    Show

Librarian (Shield of Sanguinus, ???) - 100 points
    Librarian (???, ???) - 100 points
    Librarian Furioso Dreadnought (Wings of Sanguinus, Blood Lance) - 175
    Assault Marines (no packs) 1x meltaun: 110 Points
    Razorback Dedicated Transport: 20(55) Points
    Assault Marines (no packs) 1x meltagun: 110 Points
    Razorback Dedicated Transport: 20(55) Points

Thats 985 Points. I wouldn't erm...call it competitive. But I'd definitely gutlaugh the entire time I played it.

The real question is: Where do the extra 15 points go? 5x spotlights and a combi-melta for one of the libbies? Meltabombs for both the sarges?

Also: I like The Blood Lance and all...but the prospect of just SPAMMING Fear of the Darkness makes me giggly....I guess you play Guard if you want to be a jerk about making people RTFA with minimal shooting.

PPS: 0 Wolf Points. 0 Wolves. Not even pups as wargear. 10 points from Gryffindor.
    Last edited by BoSheck; 2011-08-28 at 12:55 AM.

5. - Top - End - #515
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by BoSheck View Post
    PPS: 0 Wolf Points. 0 Wolves. Not even pups as wargear. 10 points from Gryffindor.
    I lol'd.
    Also, check this out;

Howling Griffons
    Spoiler
    Show

Gryffindor
    Spoiler
    Show

For those of you who don't already know.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2011-08-28 at 01:30 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

6. - Top - End - #516
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 13_CBS View Post
    Just out of curiosity: has anyone ever seen the Codex for the Angry Marines homebrew SM Chapter? I don't know very much at all about WH40K crunch, so I'm not sure if what's written in the Angry Marines codex is underpowered, overpowered, or balanced.

Link to the Codex is here. (NSFW: the Angry Marines Codex drops so many F-Bombs that a Basilisk batter would be proud.)
    Yeah. I think it was written during 4e; there's some stuff in there I don't get. (Last Man Standing, familiars for librarians, and a couple other things spring to mind.) Two points for +1 Ld for the squad is... yeah. (Cigars.) The Tome of Infinite Rage is 50 points, gives massive buffs to every Angry Marine on the table (not just in the radius of the Chapter Master/Chief Librarian), and debuffs enemies to the tune of -1A, -2Ld. Their captains, for 75 points, give +1 Ld to Angry Marines and -1 Ld to their enemies across the whole table; twice this if within 24".

Balancing this, they have no dedicated transports aside from Land Raiders (Rhinos are not angry enough) and their Tactical Marines cost more than normal and are only BS3.

Basically, the thing's a joke codex, as I'm sure you're already aware. It's poorly balanced at best, and if you ever get a TO who will let you use it, I'll be shocked.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

7. - Top - End - #517
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    their Tactical Marines cost more than normal and are only BS3.
    And get four attacks on the charge. Hmm.

Codex needs extensive rewording to be playable, let alone balanced.
    I am the golden shadow. I am the Ninja Chocobo
    My other avatars.
    The rest of my signature.
    Spoiler
    Show

8. - Top - End - #518
    Barbarian in the Playground

If you want rules legal Angry Marines just play them as counts-as Death Company.
    So... Tired...

9. - Top - End - #519
    Dwarf in the Playground

Played my first apocalypse game today with the Guard army. Six 1500 point armies per side (at least until the Blood Angels player drew 'hidden traitor' and switched sides on us). Imperial loss 18-24 objective points. Fairly manic and disorganised, although we had a referee giving us a limited choice of strategems and superheavies/formations.

Imperial Side: Horde Guard, Teleport Attack Grey Knights, Thunderwolf Spam Wolfies, Thunderfire/Devastator Imperial Fists, Death Company Heavy Blood Angels and Mech Sisters supported by a handful of Baneblade chassis vehicles.

Chaos Side: Berzerkers, Plague Marines, Word Bearers, Horde Orks, Speed Freeks and Mech Dark Eldar with two Stompas and a Brass Scorpion and Eeeeevil Baneblade.

Highlights (from the guard corner of the table)
    - Marbo and a Veteran Squad killing seven plague marine terminators and taking two wounds off Abbadon....before getting massacred.
    - Eversor assassin kneecapping a Deff Dread with a meltabomb to stop it contesting an objective.
    - Lord Commissar killing a Khornate terminator lord in single combat (although he was a couple of wounds down to begin with)
    - A single veteran sergeant taking a charge from a Brass Scorpion and surviving, only to be killed when the Stormlord next to him blew up.
    My avatar? Why it's the brilliant work of Miss Nobody.

10. - Top - End - #520
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GallóglachMaxim View Post
    Played my first apocalypse game today with the Guard army. Six 1500 point armies per side (at least until the Blood Angels player drew 'hidden traitor' and switched sides on us). Imperial loss 18-24 objective points. Fairly manic and disorganised, although we had a referee giving us a limited choice of strategems and superheavies/formations.

Imperial Side: Horde Guard, Teleport Attack Grey Knights, Thunderwolf Spam Wolfies, Thunderfire/Devastator Imperial Fists, Death Company Heavy Blood Angels and Mech Sisters supported by a handful of Baneblade chassis vehicles.

Chaos Side: Berzerkers, Plague Marines, Word Bearers, Horde Orks, Speed Freeks and Mech Dark Eldar with two Stompas and a Brass Scorpion and Eeeeevil Baneblade.

Highlights (from the guard corner of the table)
    - Marbo and a Veteran Squad killing seven plague marine terminators and taking two wounds off Abbadon....before getting massacred.
    - Eversor assassin kneecapping a Deff Dread with a meltabomb to stop it contesting an objective.
    - Lord Commissar killing a Khornate terminator lord in single combat (although he was a couple of wounds down to begin with)
    - A single veteran sergeant taking a charge from a Brass Scorpion and surviving, only to be killed when the Stormlord next to him blew up.
    I wish that I could have seen this battle...it sounds epic.

11. - Top - End - #521

smile Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XIII: "Ironclads, Furiosos and Soul Grinders, oh my!"

i'm putting together a bike heavy space marine force, i'm gonna be using bikes as troop choices so i was looking through the fast attack choices for more options to pork up my list. i was wondering how worth it is it to take a land speeder storm. they look really cool, and i like the idea of scouts doing well in an assault. what is the general opinion of the land speeder storm? is it worth 130 or so points i'll pay for it and the scout squad, and if it is, what is the best way to arm the scouts inside? heavy bolter? missile launcher? snipers? combat blades?
    Skaldlands OOC
    Skaldlands IC

dope avatar Lomp, the Horse by Honest Tiefling

12. - Top - End - #522

Quote Originally Posted by gabado View Post
    i'm putting together a bike heavy space marine force, i'm gonna be using bikes as troop choices so i was looking through the fast attack choices for more options to pork up my list. i was wondering how worth it is it to take a land speeder storm. they look really cool, and i like the idea of scouts doing well in an assault. what is the general opinion of the land speeder storm? is it worth 130 or so points i'll pay for it and the scout squad, and if it is, what is the best way to arm the scouts inside? heavy bolter? missile launcher? snipers? combat blades?
    If you want them to assault, combat blades are the obvious choice.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

13. - Top - End - #523
    Bugbear in the Playground

If you want them to assault, combat blades shotguns are the obvious choice.
    Fixed that for you.

14. - Top - End - #524
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanoi View Post
    Fixed that for you.
    Can't you get both?

15. - Top - End - #525

That depends on what role you need them to fill in your army.

Deepstriking a Storm with Scouts as Scoring tank hunters is pretty good before any gear at all.

If you're going to keep the Scouts embarked, so the speeder can fly onto the objective at the last second, you keep them with Boltguns. That way the unit has a Multimelta and 5 bolters that can target different units - providing some light anti-infantry (they're better than shotguns).

Vanilla Space Marine scouts, in combat, aren't that great. Shotguns will give them a good 'bite' on the charge but they're still going to struggle to win. Especially in a 5-man deployment!

Combat Blades are the worst option. Don't take them.

A Meltabomb gives you relatively cheap anti-tank that's great for opportunism, but since you're deploying them with a Landspeeder it's somewhat redundant (If you fly into position behind the tank and fail to kill it your Scouts won't be able to do anything about it until next turn, when you can try again with the Multimelta anyway) so a Powerfist just isn't worth the points.

The Heavy Bolter is cheap but it doesn't fit into using them with the Speeder. After you drop the troops off near the objective you're going to want to spend another turn shuffling around to get the best cover. Which means you're either going to waste your Scouts for 2 turns or your Multimelta)

TL;DR: Take Bolters + Meltabomb.
    Last edited by Tarinaky; 2011-08-28 at 03:49 PM.
    So... Tired...

16. - Top - End - #526

thanks for the help . i think i'll wait a little to see if i really want one. I'm gonna try proxying a land speeder in a couple games to see if i like the way the storm plays. if i do i'll go out and get one. one of the things that caught my eye about it was the fact that it could carry five snipers around, moving 24" each turn they would be really tough to kill, and every turn you get 5 sniper shots in addition to whatever else you have equipped to the storm.
    Skaldlands OOC
    Skaldlands IC

dope avatar Lomp, the Horse by Honest Tiefling

17. - Top - End - #527

thanks for the help . i think i'll wait a little to see if i really want one. I'm gonna try proxying a land speeder in a couple games to see if i like the way the storm plays. if i do i'll go out and get one. one of the things that caught my eye about it was the fact that it could carry five snipers around, moving 24" each turn they would be really tough to kill, and every turn you get 5 sniper shots in addition to whatever else you have equipped to the storm.
    Sniper Rifles are heavy weapons - you can't fire them if the vehicle moves.

You also can't move 24" and fire passenger weapons. I forget if Fast vehicles allow passengers to shoot after a 12" move or not.
    So... Tired...

18. - Top - End - #528
    Halfling in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

So, everybody of this fine thread, I've recently found a growing want to play Warhammer 40,000. So, after a few trips to the GW shop near me, I've decided that I would like to play the Tau. Besides the ones on the first page, are there any recommendations someone could make to me, on how to start my army?
    What's the Moskstraumen?

19. - Top - End - #529
    Ettin in the Playground

Tau? Get kroot, ALOT OF KROOT. Also play test them first to see if you like them.
    “I’m a Terrorist not an idiot.” - Me
    ░▄▀▄▀▀▀▀▄▀▄░░░░░░░░░
    ░█░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░▄░
    █░░▀░░▀░░░░░▀▄▄░░█░█
    █░▄░█▀░▄░░░░░░░▀▀░░█
    █░░▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    █░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
    ░█░░▄▄░░▄▄▄▄░░▄▄░░█░
    ░█░▄▀█░▄▀░░█░▄▀█░▄▀░
    ░░▀░░░▀░░░░░▀░░░▀░░░

20. - Top - End - #530

I agree with playtesting first, it always helps.

Broadside Battlesuits, the ones with the two stupidly big guns. They are absolutely foul and are the one thing I truly fear in a Tau list.

Crisis suits, Commander Farsight, Hammerheads, all the other unpleasant things they can field pale in comparison. They are always a priority target for my drop pod Sternguard.

And with that in mind, shield drones save lives, just in case some complete git of a Space Marine player drop pods 10 Sternguard with combi meltas right next to you in a concerted effort to get rid of some big, nasty anti armour guns. There's someone here who never takes shield drones and once accused me of victimising him because I always make sure his Broadsides are baked on the first turn. (I'm sorry, but putting them in the open, on a big hill over 12 inches from the edge and with no shield drones just screams "hey Big Boy, drop your big red death egg here and show me your biggest gun")

"What's in this empty box ?"
    "Youth and talent is no match for age and treachery."
    Mechwarrior by Elder Tsofu

21. - Top - End - #531

So i may soon have 3 40k armies:

Space Marines for playing
    Dark Eldar for painting
    Imperial Guard for collecting

i just found an awesome offer for Imperial Guard on Craigslist and i want to get it, even though i already have two armies (as well as a 3000 point fantasy army and a 20pt Warmachine army)

so anyway if i do start collecting them what do you reccomend?

i would like to do a tank heavy army, sort of a Blitzkrieg style, with some infantry (a platoon and some penal legionaries) but a Valkyrie (or two) and some tanks doing the real work.

Thematically i would like them to be traitor guard, all the sargents will be daemons, and im thinking about making Horrors as plasma gunners and seekers as Rough Riders as well as some other conversions.

thoughts?

DM
    The Lords of Uncloaked Steel
    "But iron - cold iron - is master of them all."

22. - Top - End - #532
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
    "hey Big Boy, drop your big red death egg here and show me your biggest gun")
    lol. Death Eggs. Although until I see a better quote. The next thread title is still going to be Baby's Got 'Backs.

Quote Originally Posted by Darius Macab View Post
    so anyway if i do start collecting them what do you reccomend?

i would like to do a tank heavy army, sort of a Blitzkrieg style, with some infantry (a platoon and some penal legionaries) but a Valkyrie (or two) and some tanks doing the real work.
    Seems like your list is all over the shop.

Mechanised Guard, eh?

Veterans in Chimeras or Veterans in Valkyries. This is your list. Minimum three of such squads. If you don't want to do Veterans, and instead do a Platoon-with-Vehicles, it's a lot less effective since you can't start the game with Heavy Weapon Squads in a Chimera. It's not bad, just expensive.

One Platoon is minimum 130 Points. No Heavy Weapons, and no upgrades on your Command Squad (good luck with that). And that's only one Troops choice.

Veterans are 100 Points flat even in an average list. With upgrades.

In short, Platoons are over-rated unless you're going crazy with Infantry Spam.

After that, it really, really depends on what you want for Heavy Support. Ignore Elites. Fast Attack is reserved for Hellhound-variants and Gunships. If you're going Gunships, ignore everything else. If going Chimeras, get HH-variants. Tailor to your meta-game for this one. HH-variants are pretty specific at what they do.

Leman Russes; Battle Tank and Demolisher are the best ones. When facing FNP and/or Terminators, some people splurge for Executioners. And, I've been playing Mech-Guard for the last couple of weeks and I find the Battle Tank and Demolishers are still better choices. S8 still ignores FNP on most things. And Demolishers are still Large Blast and kill small units of Terminators and Sanguinary Guard perfectly fine.

If you're facing a lot of Bikes, Land Speeders, Raiders and Stormravens (like most more-serious players) it's worthwhile investing in 2-3 Hydras.

If there's cover everywhere and your opponent likes to have 2 or 3+ cover saves, or Warlock-Conceal spams or other such nonsense, pick up a Colossus and hide it behind a building. The other bonus is that Ordnance Barrage = Pinning. Which is amazing when it works.
    Or, invest in some Hellhounds. They work.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2011-08-29 at 02:01 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

23. - Top - End - #533
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    The other bonus is that Ordnance = Pinning. Which is amazing when it works.
    Erm... sadly, that isn't true. Ordnance BARRAGE cause pinning, but not ordinary ordnance. Though the basic Russes are still very much worth it.
    GENERATION 15: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig and add 1 to the generation. social experiment.

24. - Top - End - #534
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by FlyingScanian View Post
    Erm... sadly, that isn't true. Ordnance BARRAGE cause pinning, but not ordinary ordnance. Though the basic Russes are still very much worth it.
    Oops. Meant to mention that with the Colossus, not the Russ. Fixed now.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

25. - Top - End - #535

Well this is what im getting:

Spoiler
    Show
    HQ
    •1 x Commissar Yarrick
    •1 x Colonel Schaeffer
    •2 x Cadian Officers with Chain Swords
    •2 x Cadian Officers with Power Swords
    •3 x Sanctioned Psykers
    Elites
    •26 x Cadian Karskins
    Troops
    •44 x Cadian Shock Troops
    •6 x Cadian Shock Troops - unassembled
    •3 x Cadian Heavy Weapons Teams (1 x lascannon, 2 x heavy bolter)
    •3 x Cadian Heavy Weapons Teams - unassembled
    •3 x Cadian Heavy Weapons Teams - unopened
    •20 x Catachan Jungle Fighters -- unopened
    Fast Attack
    •2 x Cadian Sentinel
    •1 x Cadian Sentinal -- unopened
    Heavy Support
    •2 x Leman Russ Battle Tank
    •1 x Basilisk

with this group of models (im getting all of them for $200cad!) im tempted to do an infantry blob army, but personally im not really into that style of gameplay. it just seems boring.

on the other hand if i do a mech army ill have to buy a bunch more tanks to do so.

what do you think would be best Cheese?
    The Lords of Uncloaked Steel
    "But iron - cold iron - is master of them all."

26. - Top - End - #536
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Moskstraumen View Post
    So, everybody of this fine thread, I've recently found a growing want to play Warhammer 40,000. So, after a few trips to the GW shop near me, I've decided that I would like to play the Tau. Besides the ones on the first page, are there any recommendations someone could make to me, on how to start my army?
    Tau are pretty out of date at the moment, and their codex has a lot of things that actually make your army worse. You also tend to die horribly in assault, so your entire game plan will likely revolve around killing everything before they can assault you.

Kroot/Piranhas block enemy assault units, Crisis Suits shoot things to pieces, Fire Warriors cower on objectives in Devilfishes, Pathfinders make everyone else's shooting much deadlier and Broadsides/Hammerheads wreck tanks. That's the basics of playing Tau.

We're hoping for an update to our codex sometime next year though, so maybe things will change then.

EDIT Oh, and at the current time some of our most important units, Broadsides and Pathfinders, are only available via direct order from the website, thanks to this finecast business.
    Last edited by Tome; 2011-08-29 at 03:42 AM.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

27. - Top - End - #537
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Darius Macab View Post
    what do you think would be best Cheese?
    Let's see...Without Chimeras or Valkyries, you're kind of in an un-get-outable hole when it comes to "I don't want to play Infantry Spam", since that's what you're getting, it's kind of unavoidable unless you have the funds to get more stuff. If this is a moot point and you do have extra funds, great. If not, you're stuck in the fox hole.

Well this is what im getting:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Commissar Yarrick
    Colonel Schaeffer
    x2 Cadian Officers with Chain Swords
    x2 Cadian Officers with Power Swords
    x3 Sanctioned Psykers
    44 x Cadian Shock Troops
    x6 Cadian Shock Troops - unassembled
    x3 Cadian Heavy Weapons Teams (1 x lascannon, 2 x heavy bolter)
    x3 Cadian Heavy Weapons Teams - unassembled
    x3 Cadian Heavy Weapons Teams - unopened
    Do you know if you're getting Command Squads or just Officers?

With set ups like that, you're looking at 1 Company Command, and 2 Platoon Commands. So, let's take 12 of those Guardsmen to make that.

You've got 32 Guardsmen left. 38 - counting the unassembled. That's a fairly decent number. Especially considering the unopened Heavy Weapons. Right off the bat you've got enough to make 4 squads. Needs 32 Troopers and 4 Heavy Weapons, which you've got. I assume the army was originally made for this. Since 32 is a pretty specific number.

If you can get your hands on a couple of special weapons (plasmas), or you want a couple of Heavy Bolters for some reason (if your meta-game is lousy with Orks), you can assemble some Cadian Grenade Launchers and boost up your squads a bit. You've got 4 Infantry Squads without trying. 5 if you do.

And 4 Heavy Weapons to spare. If you want, you could put those Heavy weapons in your Command Squads, free up a couple of extra Guardsmen and put them in the rank-and-file...And, yeah. Do that. There's your five Infantry Squads.

If you want, that's a full-size Platoon. But, you want a bunch of Orders, so, spread them out for extra Command Squads.

x26 Cadian Karskins
    x20 Catachan Jungle Fighters -- unopened
    You can play all these models as regular Veterans. Trouble is, without vehicles, Veterans are semi-terrible. And, since you've got no vehicles, Infiltrating is pretty good. I prefer Ratlings in mine, but, you don't have Ratlings, so Stormtroopers it is.

As for the Catachans, yeah, without vehicles, Veterans are kind of bad.

x2 Cadian Sentinel
    x1 Cadian Sentinal -- unopened
    Can you get an Astropath? Heavy Flamers.
    Otherwise Multi-Lasers or Autocannons.

x2 Leman Russ Battle Tank
    x1 Basilisk
    Yep.

Looks like you're going All-Infantry. The only way to not, is to not buy the army. But for the price, I can't see why you wouldn't.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2011-08-29 at 04:54 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

28. - Top - End - #538

Quote Originally Posted by Arcanoi View Post
    Fixed that for you.
    Shotguns don't get them additional attacks. A Land Speeder Storm is open-topped, so they can assault on the turn they disembark. Why would you rob yourself of an additional attack if that's what you're doing? All that accomplishes is making them suck worse than tacticals in assault.
    Quote Originally Posted by Craftworld View Post
    Can't you get both?
    No point; the bolt pistol counts as a CCW, and a shotgun and combat blade is the same effect as a shotgun and a pistol. And no, you can't, it specifies replacing the boltgun in the army list.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    You can play all these models as regular Veterans. Trouble is, without vehicles, Veterans are semi-terrible. And, since you've got no vehicles, Infiltrating is pretty good. I prefer Ratlings in mine, but, you don't have Ratlings, so Stormtroopers it is.

As for the Catachans, yeah, without vehicles, Veterans are kind of bad.
    Stick a heavy bolter on one of the Catachans (I used a scout HB; it works well) and make a reasonable facsimile of Harker. Hey look, Infiltrating veterans with Stealth and Move Through Cover. The Relentless heavy bolter with FNP that comes with it is just gravy. Chimeras are better, obviously, but if you must run vets on foot, that's how to do it.
    Last edited by Renegade Paladin; 2011-08-29 at 05:57 AM.

29. - Top - End - #539

Shotguns don't get them additional attacks. A Land Speeder Storm is open-topped, so they can assault on the turn they disembark. Why would you rob yourself of an additional attack if that's what you're doing? All that accomplishes is making them suck worse than tacticals in assault.
    I think the idea is you fire the shotguns then assault, what with shotguns being assault weapons 'n'all.

30. - Top - End - #540
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Ogremindes View Post
    I think the idea is you fire the shotguns then assault, what with shotguns being assault weapons 'n'all.
    Combat Blades are for when you get charged (it's not your turn so no shooting phase for you), or when you don't expect to win and can't win off a single charge and have to go round-for-round.

Since you're in a Land Speeder Storm, it's kind of a really, really bad match up (hello Hydras) if you can't pick-and-choose your battles. To that end, there are few times when your Scouts wont be getting off the charge, followed by the Cerberus Launchers in the Storm and you should win combat in a single round everytime.

Sustained Assaults shouldn't happen (if they do you picked your target wrong), and thus, the Combat Blades are not as good as Shotguns.

For those of you who haven't figured it out;
    Shotguns = 2 shots at Strength 4. Has range (if you can't make a charge for some reason).
    Combat Blade = +1 attack at Strength 4. No range.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2011-08-29 at 06:20 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome