New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 19 of 50 FirstFirst ... 9101112131415161718192021222324252627282944 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #541
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XIII: "Ironclads, Furiosos and Soul Grinders, oh my!"

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    Shotguns don't get them additional attacks. A Land Speeder Storm is open-topped, so they can assault on the turn they disembark. Why would you rob yourself of an additional attack if that's what you're doing? All that accomplishes is making them suck worse than tacticals in assault.
    Shotguns, compared to pistols, are Assault 2, which essentially gives them extra attack at I11, or ability to put more hurt on something you won't assault. Plus, supposedly, in 6th edition, assault weapons will also count as CCW, according to rumors, anyway.
    Come one, come all! GitP MLP Steam Group is open!
    Current location of the last MLP Thread OP, too.
    Want to ask me something? Use MAIL or message me on Steam!

Spoiler
    Show

>Click!<
    Amazing Art by Dirtytabs :P
    HW Ava © ETsofu

"Well, the Great and Powerful Trixie can't actually transport you to Equestria... But!
    The Great and Powerful Trixie can beat you over the head until you think that's what happened!"

2. - Top - End - #542
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop XIII: "Ironclads, Furiosos and Soul Grinders, oh my!"

Let me put it another way. Please assault my infantry platoon with five scouts with AP - weapons and one attack each; I could use an assault I can win preceded by shots I actually get to make a save against.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

3. - Top - End - #543
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Let me put it another way. Please assault my infantry platoon with five scouts with AP - weapons and one attack each; I could use an assault I can win preceded by shots I actually get to make a save against.
    Hey, Scouts replace their Boltguns for Shotguns.
    ...They still have pistols. No save for you!
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

4. - Top - End - #544

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Hey, Scouts replace their Boltguns for Shotguns.
    ...They still have pistols. No save for you!
    In which case they'd be better off with combat blades.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

5. - Top - End - #545
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

In which case they'd be better off with combat blades.
    Probably, but if was up to me, I'd be Assaulting Command Squads. I also run Sergeants with Power Fists and Combi-Flamers for just such an occasion.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

6. - Top - End - #546

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Probably, but if was up to me, I'd be Assaulting Command Squads. I also run Sergeants with Power Fists and Combi-Flamers for just such an occasion.
    In a Chimera. Sorry.

7. - Top - End - #547
    Titan in the Playground

In a Chimera. Sorry.
    This assumes the Scouts would have charged in blindly, with no support, into a fight they had no reason to be in, though. Them having all the mobility they need to pick when and where to fight, that seems rather unlikely - the Space Marine player would hold the Scouts back until something else cracked that Chimera, or send them against a different, more suited target to begin with, I'd think...
    LGBTitP Supporter
    In a Wonderland they lie, Dreaming as the days go by, Dreaming as the summers die - Ever drifting down the stream - Lingering in the golden gleam - Life, what is it, but a dream?
    - Lewis Carroll

8. - Top - End - #548

Quote Originally Posted by Winterwind View Post
    This assumes the Scouts would have charged in blindly, with no support, into a fight they had no reason to be in, though. Them having all the mobility they need to pick when and where to fight, that seems rather unlikely - the Space Marine player would hold the Scouts back until something else cracked that Chimera, or send them against a different, more suited target to begin with, I'd think...
    The point is my lists only ever have one infantry unit, and it's a huge blob that gets more attacks than the scouts due to having four or five times as many bodies and has at least one power weapon in for just such an eventuality. If my Chimeras are all cracked, I've probably already lost, because trying to footslog meltas to their targets via T3 Sv 5+ bodies doesn't tend to work very well.

9. - Top - End - #549
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

In a Chimera. Sorry.
    It's almost like you think I don't deal with Mech on a regular basis.

Land Speeder Storm Outflanks. Bypassing the entirety of your shooting. There's very little you can do about an Outflanking Skimmer. Especially one that's Fast. The Multi-Melta on the Storm gets in range of the tank, cracks it.

Scouts Assault what comes out. Or, the Scouts stay in the Storm if that's what's beneficial. Nobody says you have to Assault. Having Shotguns allows the opportunity of not Assaulting. Although you can do the same with Boltguns.

Using Land Speeder Storms and minimum-man Scout Squads takes finesse. And a lot of players don't have it. That's why they play Blood Angels.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2011-08-29 at 08:36 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

10. - Top - End - #550
    Dwarf in the Playground

While I love Land Speeder Storms as much as the next guy, I'd like to point out that the fact that you were able to fire your Multi-Melta means that your Speeder moved no more than 12 inches.

What if, for instance, your Multi-Melta shot fails to destroy said transport? The scouts would either have to sit in their Speeder (which has no cover save), and take return fire on your enemy's turn, or assault the transport itself and hope that the Powerfist will be able to hit the transport. Even then, if they manage to destroy the transport through assault (pretty unlikely, but it happens) they won't be locked in the relative safety of assault. Meaning they're going to get shot.

Honestly, I'd rather use my Land Speeder Storms to deliver my Scouts to things like Long Fangs, Broadside Battlesuits, etc.
    Last edited by Razaele; 2011-08-29 at 12:21 PM.

Awesome avatar and siggy by Kwarkpudding

11. - Top - End - #551
    Titan in the Playground

... I can't believe running the captain with the assault marines and the Chaplain with the DC didn't occur to me sooner... Though that might be because i didn't know captains could be run with jump packs.

Timberwolf, thank you for suggesting it.

...'course, now i gotta wait to go buy jump pack bits... Ah well. Plenty of painting/assembly to occupy my time till wednesday.
    Hate me if you want. But that's your issue to fix, not mine.

Primal ego vos, estis ex nihilo.

When Gods Go To War comes out March 8th

Discord: HalfTangible

Extended Sig

12. - Top - End - #552
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Razaele View Post
    While I love Land Speeder Storms as much as the next guy, I'd like to point out that the fact that you were able to fire your Multi-Melta means that your Speeder moved no more than 12 inches.

What if, for instance, your Multi-Melta shot fails to destroy said transport? The scouts would either have to sit in their Speeder (which has no cover save), and take return fire on your enemy's turn, or assault the transport itself and hope that the Powerfist will be able to hit the transport. Even then, if they manage to destroy the transport through assault (pretty unlikely, but it happens) they won't be locked in the relative safety of assault. Meaning they're going to get shot.

Honestly, I'd rather use my Land Speeder Storms to deliver my Scouts against things like Long Fangs, Broadside Battlesuits, etc.
    They're Landspeeders and they're scouts. Their standard tactics are high-risk propositions to begin with and you want to begrudge them that?

How the hell do you use Landspeeders? Hidding in cover in the furthest corner of the board? :p

"Boss! 'Es shootin' at me!"
    "Wat? Well shoot 'im back ya grot!"

Besides, Scouts are weenies so there's a good chance your opponent might ignore them in favour of something scarier.
    Last edited by Tarinaky; 2011-08-29 at 12:01 PM.
    So... Tired...

13. - Top - End - #553
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tarinaky View Post
    They're Landspeeders and they're scouts. Their standard tactics are high-risk propositions to begin with and you want to begrudge them that?
    I never said that I wanted to keep my Scouts out of harm's way. I just said that I think it would be more reasonable to use them against things that will more likely crumble against them in assault. Taking out a transport is all well and good, and I agree, sometimes absolutely necessary. But like Cheesegear mentioned, Scouts are a unit that requires finesse.

How the hell do you use Landspeeders? Hidding in cover in the furthest corner of the board? :p
    If you'll read my post, I specifically said that I'd rather use my Land Speeder Storms to deliver my Scouts to things like Long Fangs, Broadside Battlesuits, etc.

Besides, Scouts are weenies so there's a good chance your opponent might ignore them in favour of something scarier.
    True for your enemy's long range heavy weapons. Not true for your enemy's squad that was in that transport that you just tried to target. You know, the one that has those close range anti-infantry weapons, such as Bolters and Lasguns.

Using your Landspeeder Storms to take out transports can work, but what I'm trying to say is that I think they're better off targetting things that should never be in assault.
    Last edited by Razaele; 2011-08-29 at 12:21 PM.

Awesome avatar and siggy by Kwarkpudding

14. - Top - End - #554
    Titan in the Playground

Ok. I've been rude and abrasive about my lists, and i'm sorry. Cheesegear was right, i should've expected critique on a list towards optimization if I didn't say i just wanted to check if it was legal...

I would, however, like to optimize deployment for this list:

Spoiler
    Show
    Captain
    - Storm Bolter
    - Lightning Claw
    - Jump Pack

Chaplain
    - Jump Pack

Death Company
    - Thunder Hammer
    - Jump Packs
    - +2 Marines

Assault Squad
    - Meltagun
    - Powerfist
    - +5 Marines

Scout Squad
    - Sniper Rifles
    - Missile Launcher
    - +5 Marines

Tactical Squad
    - Missile Launcher
    - Chainsword
    - Flamer
    - +5 Marines

I'm sure i'm going to split into combat squads for the tactical and scout squads, run the captain with the assault squad and the chaplain with the DC but otherwise i'm drawing a blank here... Ideas?

Extended Sig

15. - Top - End - #555
    Dwarf in the Playground

The beauty of things like Landspeeder Storms, Kommandos, Wolf Scouts and outflankers is that those units are capable of getting into combat the turn they come but also that they genuinely affect your opponent's deployment, pushing them away from table edges and sides and oftentimes closer to you. Unless your opponent is bad/inexperienced/unable to adapt to curveball tactics. In which case, have fun clubbing your seal.

Also the scouts don't have to charge whatever the Landspeeder shot at, being a seperate unit and all that. You guys knew that already, though. You could feel the waters out, maybe end up immobilizing a transport, and end up charging the blob/long fangs/broadsides/lootas anyway--even if you won't roflstomp them, you still stand a very good chance of denying them shooting for AT LEAST a turn.

Shotguns was correct, as far as arming them goes, unless the vehicle rules get some kind of "units embarked count as stationary" overhaul next edition...I wouldn't get my hopes up there.

I was gonna whine about not having cool landspeeders or Shotguns for Wolf Scouts, but I guess Smurfs gotta have some exclusive toys. The storm intrigues me enough that I've considered on several occasions abandoning the DA codex for my bike/speeder Ravenwing army to go that route instead, but IDK.

16. - Top - End - #556
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by HalfTangible View Post
    I would, however, like to optimize deployment for this list:

Spoiler
    Show
    Captain
    - Storm Bolter
    - Lightning Claw
    - Jump Pack

Chaplain
    - Jump Pack

Death Company
    - Thunder Hammer
    - Jump Packs
    - +2 Marines

Assault Squad
    - Meltagun
    - Powerfist
    - +5 Marines

Scout Squad
    - Sniper Rifles
    - Missile Launcher
    - +5 Marines

Tactical Squad
    - Missile Launcher
    - Chainsword
    - Flamer
    - +5 Marines

I'm sure i'm going to split into combat squads for the tactical and scout squads, run the captain with the assault squad and the chaplain with the DC but otherwise i'm drawing a blank here... Ideas?
    Well as far as all infantry lists are concerned, you don't have that many stuff that needs to march all over the field. When you split up your squads, you have M. Launcher Marines and scouts that are sitting on your side of board and Assault and DC guys that are flying over. That leaves you with 5 regular marines and 5 scouts who need to run in.

That said, my best bet would be this:
    Annihilation -> Don't squad anything, sit on your side with scouts, run everything else forward.
    Objectives -> Scouts sit on objective, with M. Launcher tacticals close if scouts get wiped, or need help. Jumpy guys go forward as fast as possible, with the rest of the scouts and marines running (in shooting phase), hoping to score objectives on the middle, or in opponents side of the field.

Quick note, I think your captain is better with dual claws instead of just one, it gives you extra attack in melee for only 5 points.
    "Don't make me go all Darth Vader on your teddy." - BBEG of the month
    ---
    Awesome avy by Serpentine <3

17. - Top - End - #557
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bodez View Post
    Well as far as all infantry lists are concerned, you don't have that many stuff that needs to march all over the field. When you split up your squads, you have M. Launcher Marines and scouts that are sitting on your side of board and Assault and DC guys that are flying over. That leaves you with 5 regular marines and 5 scouts who need to run in.

That said, my best bet would be this:
    Annihilation -> Don't squad anything, sit on your side with scouts, run everything else forward.
    Objectives -> Scouts sit on objective, with M. Launcher tacticals close if scouts get wiped, or need help. Jumpy guys go forward as fast as possible, with the rest of the scouts and marines running (in shooting phase), hoping to score objectives on the middle, or in opponents side of the field.
    Kthx

Quick note, I think your captain is better with dual claws instead of just one, it gives you extra attack in melee for only 5 points.
    Yeah, but I don't have a second claw to give him and he looks better with a storm bolter imho.

Extended Sig

18. - Top - End - #558
    Orc in the Playground

Yeah, but I don't have a second claw to give him and he looks better with a storm bolter imho.
    Honestly, if I were playing against you, and you write on your list pair of claws, but model you unit with a stormbolter and one claw because it looks better, I would say go for it. After all, codex allows you both on your Captain anyways.
    ---

19. - Top - End - #559
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly, if I were playing against you, and you write on your list pair of claws, but model you unit with a stormbolter and one claw because it looks better, I would say go for it. After all, codex allows you both on your Captain anyways.
    Yeah but if i put both my point total goes over anyway

Extended Sig

20. - Top - End - #560
    Orc in the Playground

Yeah but if i put both my point total goes over anyway
    Make the Thunderhammer into P. Fist? Other then that, no idea.
    ---

21. - Top - End - #561
    Titan in the Playground

Make the Thunderhammer into P. Fist? Other then that, no idea.
    Nah. I'll stick with one claw and add this to the 'do these things for your 2000 point list' list.

• Make the Chaplain a Reclusiarch.
    • Storm Ravens.
    • Give the Captain a second Lightning claw.
    • Get a larger Death Company.
    • Storm Ravens.
    • Furioso Dreadnought/Death Company Dreadnought
    • Buy a librarian model, mutilate it, and use it as an objective marker. For the Lulz.
    • Storm Ravens.

Extended Sig

22. - Top - End - #562
    Orc in the Playground

Nah. I'll stick with one claw and add this to the 'do these things for your 2000 point list' list.
    • Buy a librarian model, mutilate it, and use it as an objective marker. For the Lulz.
    Now this is a shame. Objective markers are hardly that unimportant, surely you can find something more deserving to be a marker
    ---

23. - Top - End - #563
    Bugbear in the Playground

Alright, thanks for the advice Cheesegear.

i did a bit more digging and found a sale that would be better for my idea, giving me an idea for this list:

Yes i name all my units

what do you think?

eh, i'll try for infantry guard maybe ill actally start winning

DM
    Last edited by Hawkfrost000; 2011-08-29 at 07:05 PM.
    The Lords of Uncloaked Steel
    "But iron - cold iron - is master of them all."

24. - Top - End - #564

I think you should put all your plasma guns on one unit of veterans and all your meltaguns on the other; mixing them up isn't good.

25. - Top - End - #565

I think you should put all your plasma guns on one unit of veterans and all your meltaguns on the other; mixing them up isn't good.
    I guess, they are kind of jack of all trades and master of none this way.

but with my luck the squad with the meltas will be up against the terminators and my plasmas will be up against the land raider. i feel a bit more secure in knowing that they might be able to handle either situation this way.
    The Lords of Uncloaked Steel
    "But iron - cold iron - is master of them all."

26. - Top - End - #566

Can't say I agree with this part, but, what the heck. You could also scour ebay for the Spacehulk Dead Blood Angel marker and say it's a Librarian.

The rest of it looks good especially the gunships although I would also add Sternguard to this. With Combi meltas and a Drop pod. Why ? Because they rule, that's why.

Let me tell you about my day.
    Spoiler
    Show

I went over to a friends and we ended up playing 3 games. Because time wasn't an issue, we played 3000 points, by far the biggest games I've ever played. Whenever we play, it's always a complete bloodbath where we're lucky to still have a couple of units left at the end and today was no exception.

My list

Spoiler
    Show

The Sanguinor
    Librarian

Furioso Dread
    Drop pod Sternguard with 9 Combimeltas and a Heavy Flamer

4 x Scout squads with snipers, missiles and camo cloaks
    Death Company - 11 marines with 2 power weapons, power fist and thunder hammer + Land Raider Crusader
    Death Company Dread

Landspeeder (twin multimelta
    2 Baal Predators

3 x Stormravens

My friend was playing chaos, he took Abaddon, Kharn, Terminators, noise marines, plague marines, Berserkers, a defiler, 3 Obliterators, A vindicator, 2 Landraiders (dedicated transports).

Game 1 was 5 objectives, pitched battle. He started well, killing a Stormraven, my landspeeder and a couple of scouts on the first turn. Then the Death Egg (sorry, but this is my name for a Sternpod) landed and flashfried his Obliterators and a landraider. They all died to his Khorne Lord (he swapped him out for Kharn in games 2 and 3) but they did their job. It ended with me killing his objective holding noise marines with the Sanguinor and then getting him into the Berserkers who were holding the central objective, meaning that I won 2 to 1

Game 2 was 2 Objectives, spearhead. Again, the Death Egg performed wonders, killing a Landraider and immobilising the Defiler. They all died to Abaddon this time, but since he was walking, I wasn't too unhappy. This game ended with me chasng his 5 remaining Plague Marines into their building while sitting outside it with 2 Stormravens and the Landraider with the Death Company getting ever nearer. Luckily for my opponent, he rolled a 3 to see if we got turn 7.

Game 3 was Dawn of War, kill points.

I shall give you 3 guesses as to what the Sternguard killed and what happened to them.

Well, a Landraider certainly died, along with the Vindicator. Then Kharn emerged from the smoking wreck of his favourite ride and killed them all with a bit of help from his bodyguard (although he killed one of them) Abaddon killed the Sanguinor after every thing in the Chaos army had shot at him (Game one gave my opponent a new found terror in the BA codex) and reduced him to a wound before shooting 4 Lascannons, 5 Meltas and a pair of Melta bombs at the Landraider, failing to even glance at each and every turn. I was amazed by this, but not about to question it. Abaddon then died under a massive spam of Death Company. Rain stopped play on this one, but it was only a matter of time before annihilation of the heretics.

All in all, the Sternguard, Landraider and the gunships were my standout units. They killed a lot of stuff dead. My Landspeeder... dear me, how much fire and how much priority did my friend place on killing it ? So very much for an 80 point unit. I think I'll take 3 next time.

"What's in this empty box ?"
    "Youth and talent is no match for age and treachery."
    Mechwarrior by Elder Tsofu

27. - Top - End - #567
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
    Let me tell you about my day.
    Spoiler
    Show

I went over to a friends and we ended up playing 3 games. Because time wasn't an issue, we played 3000 points, by far the biggest games I've ever played. Whenever we play, it's always a complete bloodbath where we're lucky to still have a couple of units left at the end and today was no exception.

My list

Spoiler
    Show

The Sanguinor
    Librarian

Furioso Dread
    Drop pod Sternguard with 9 Combimeltas and a Heavy Flamer

4 x Scout squads with snipers, missiles and camo cloaks
    Death Company - 11 marines with 2 power weapons, power fist and thunder hammer + Land Raider Crusader
    Death Company Dread

Landspeeder (twin multimelta
    2 Baal Predators

3 x Stormravens

My friend was playing chaos, he took Abaddon, Kharn, Terminators, noise marines, plague marines, Berserkers, a defiler, 3 Obliterators, A vindicator, 2 Landraiders (dedicated transports).

Game 1 was 5 objectives, pitched battle. He started well, killing a Stormraven, my landspeeder and a couple of scouts on the first turn. Then the Death Egg (sorry, but this is my name for a Sternpod) landed and flashfried his Obliterators and a landraider. They all died to his Khorne Lord (he swapped him out for Kharn in games 2 and 3) but they did their job. It ended with me killing his objective holding noise marines with the Sanguinor and then getting him into the Berserkers who were holding the central objective, meaning that I won 2 to 1

Game 2 was 2 Objectives, spearhead. Again, the Death Egg performed wonders, killing a Landraider and immobilising the Defiler. They all died to Abaddon this time, but since he was walking, I wasn't too unhappy. This game ended with me chasng his 5 remaining Plague Marines into their building while sitting outside it with 2 Stormravens and the Landraider with the Death Company getting ever nearer. Luckily for my opponent, he rolled a 3 to see if we got turn 7.

Game 3 was Dawn of War, kill points.

I shall give you 3 guesses as to what the Sternguard killed and what happened to them.

Well, a Landraider certainly died, along with the Vindicator. Then Kharn emerged from the smoking wreck of his favourite ride and killed them all with a bit of help from his bodyguard (although he killed one of them) Abaddon killed the Sanguinor after every thing in the Chaos army had shot at him (Game one gave my opponent a new found terror in the BA codex) and reduced him to a wound before shooting 4 Lascannons, 5 Meltas and a pair of Melta bombs at the Landraider, failing to even glance at each and every turn. I was amazed by this, but not about to question it. Abaddon then died under a massive spam of Death Company. Rain stopped play on this one, but it was only a matter of time before annihilation of the heretics.

All in all, the Sternguard, Landraider and the gunships were my standout units. They killed a lot of stuff dead. My Landspeeder... dear me, how much fire and how much priority did my friend place on killing it ? So very much for an 80 point unit. I think I'll take 3 next time.
    Nice. I've been thinking of getting a Land Raider or Stormraven myself, but I'm not sure how effective they'd be in my otherwise de-meched list.

In related news, I've been giving my GKs a good bit of play lately. Figuring out what works and what doesn't, that sort of thing.

But no matter what I do, I can't seem to come up with an interesting 1500 point list other than my default "20 Terminators with Inquisitorial support" Deep Strike list. So I was wondering if you folks had any suggestions for any other interesting lists I could run?

I'd like to stick mostly to the models I have already for the most part, but I can certainly do a bit of counts as if there's anything crucial I don't have. It's not like I haven't been proxying my Inquisitors' ever-changing Henchmen warbands since I picked up the army.

My next additions are likely to be the previously mentioned Henchmen, but I'm also considering picking up a Land Raider or Storm Raven. I'm also in the middle of removing the Falchions from some of my Terminators thanks to the FAQ killing any possibility of use they might have had.

Here's the models I have:
    Spoiler
    Show

Unique:
    • 1x Inquisitor (Sword+Hellrifle)
    • 1x Inquisitor (Power Armour+Sword+Bolt Pistol)
    • 1x Grand Master/Brother Captain (Incinerator+Sword)
    • 1x Librarian (Sword)
    • 1x Brotherhood Champion
    • 1x Dreadknight (Sword+Heavy Incinerator)
    • 1x Vindicare Assassin
    • 1x Rifleman Dreadnought

Terminators:
    • 12x Halberds
    • 4x Daemonhammers
    • 4x Psycannons
    • 2x Incinerators
    • 1x Apothecary+Halberd
    • 1x Brotherhood Banner
    • 1x Warding Stave
    • 3x Falchions (Need to redo these with something more useful)

Power Armoured:
    • 6x Sword
    • 5x Halberd
    • 4x Psycannon
    • 4x Incinerator
    • 1x Daemonhammer

So yeah, hit me with any ideas you might have floating around, and I'll let you know how they go. I'm open to trying just about any sort of list.
    Last edited by Tome; 2011-08-30 at 02:21 AM.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/

28. - Top - End - #568

Quote Originally Posted by Tome View Post
    Nice. I've been thinking of getting a Land Raider or Stormraven myself, but I'm not sure how effective they'd be in my otherwise de-meched list.
    Take 2, or, better yet, 3 (Although the last is practical for me in a 1500 list with my usual 85 point troop choices. Grey Knights... not so much)

From experience, a Stomraven is tough enough to take a lot of punishment. Be advised though, people will hate your gunship, especially after the first few times you use it, and will devote a lot of resources to killing it. This is good and bad and the reason for taking multiple examples, every lawcanon devoted to its destruction means that the other one stands a better chance of survival. It can also carry a 5 man squad of terminators with a Terminator IC.

Also, one on one, a GK's Stormraven is no match for a Blood Angels one. Unless the Bloodstrike missiles fail (which can happen but is unlikely), you'll be very down on firepower in comparison. I personally have blown up several GK Stormravens on the first turn because of my 72" range S8 AP1 missiles.

"What's in this empty box ?"
    "Youth and talent is no match for age and treachery."
    Mechwarrior by Elder Tsofu

29. - Top - End - #569
    Barbarian in the Playground

So, played my first game with my IG yesterday. I'm still not completely happy with the list but if I get a few more models that should be fixed.

Highlights were:
    - Hellhounds are cool. Or Hot. Probably Hot.
    - Having 40 guardsmen and have them all fire three shots is pretty nice, even with lasguns.
    - Leman Russ demolisher with plasma sponsons. Rawr.
    - Psyker battle squad (converted from Empire flagelants) is great, being able to choose between making a Panic test harder or dropping another template to make sure they have to make one is great.
    Downlights:
    - 30 teleporting Boys, right into my battleline. That probably cost me the battle as everything in my army needed to shoot the buggers that turn where they should have been pounding the rest of the orks. The fact that he threw snake eyes on his panic check didn't help either.
    - turn 5, after ten Nobs and their Boss trundled and slaughtered across all of the board "hey, mega armour has the Slow and Purposefull rule, wonder what that does?"

30. - Top - End - #570
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Timberwolf View Post
    Also, one on one, a GK's Stormraven is no match for a Blood Angels one. Unless the Bloodstrike missiles fail (which can happen but is unlikely), you'll be very down on firepower in comparison. I personally have blown up several GK Stormravens on the first turn because of my 72" range S8 AP1 missiles.
    I'm guessing that Fortitude and the Shrouding don't really make up the difference. What loadout would you recommend for them? I'm thinking Multi-Melta for cracking tanks, and the Plasma Cannon and Mindstrike Missiles ought to be good for alpha striking an enemy unit, particularly one that's carrying anti-psyker defences like a Farseer or Librarian.
    Friend Code: 4656 - 7046 - 4968
    Gamertag: Taejix
    Tumblr: http://taejix.tumblr.com/